Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Flash Gordon 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
48 min ago
Weathering with You (Blu-ray)
$22.99
22 hrs ago
Léon: The Professional 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Onward 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.00
3 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$14.99
48 min ago
Why the Hell Are You Here, Teacher!?: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99
1 hr ago
Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Onward (Blu-ray)
$20.00
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 04-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #1

Dec 2008
NY
Default Looking for a Sound Bar for an older Samsung TV.

Hi, In my " Man Cave " I have a 2014 era Samsung 50 Inch LCD Smart TV. I would like to add a decent Sound Bar to it, preferably with A Sub woofer and Wireless/Blue Tooth rear speakers. I have a Samsung in the house Last years model with these options, It sounds okay but not as great as I would like.

I am not against another Samsung , I am not looking to break the bank and Iwas wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions. Thank you
Old 04-21-2020, 09:28 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

What do you already have? You might not get more than an incremental upgrade for a lot of cash that would be better spending on a separate surround system.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:03 PM   #3

Dec 2008
NY

I have nothing in the Man Cave now but the TV, In my home I have last years model 65 Inch Samsung and Sound bar combo. I am looking for one to add to the Cave.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:13 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Well if you have what sounds like one of the premium Samsung soundbars and don’t think much of it what I’m saying is that whatever soundbar you get you’ll likely not think is much better than “okay”. A separate AVR with speakers would be your best bet if you’re after something that wows you.

Soundbars can be great but they cap off at the top end reaching their limits. For example I have a highly rated Sony ZF9 bar with wireless sub and rears in the loft, yet it still sounds quite sonically limited next to my main setup with Denon AVR and Focal wired speakers. It’s fine for the room it’s in though.

Basically what I’m saying is you seem to be asking for quite a lot from a soundbar but while being much better than TV speakers they’ll never beat a proper separate setup if you have the space for one. So I’m finding it pretty much impossible to recommend any particular bar because you’ve set the bar rather high. I think my best recommendation is you head to a showroom when the lockdowns end and judge by your own ears.

Last edited by oddbox83; 04-21-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:50 PM   #5

Dec 2008
NY

Gotcha I miss understood you the first time, In the man cave I have a full on DJ Set up with a very high quality speaker/Amp and EQ package. I also have a 7.1 System in the main house in another TV/Movie set up. I am just looking for a decent sound bar as I am trying to keep the clutter down, I am looking for a decent set up and I understand the limitations of the sound bar.

I get confused while researching as they make it seem certain ones wont work with certain TVs.

ANy help you guys can give would be helpful, Thank you
Old 04-21-2020, 11:55 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

An inexpensive home theater in a box will sound much better than any soundbar. Something like this would be nice:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_theater.html

Last edited by slimdude; 04-22-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:29 AM   #7

Dec 2008
NY

I know they would, but I am trying to keep the wires and overall footprint small.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

I get where you are coming from exactly now you've mentioned your used to higher quality setups elsewhere. If you understand whatever you get will have some limitations, then the world has opened up.

This will probably be helpful for you https://www.rtings.com/soundbar

As I've already said, the Sony ZF9 is a good bar, especially for delivering pseudo-Atmos in room configurations where upfirers wouldn't work, but like I say it's noticeably slight next to a superior setup and the sub lacks subtly.

If you want Atmos in a clutter-free form factor, the Samsung Q90R gets rave reviews, but it's not cheap.

I've read glowing Vizio reviews, though I have no personal experience as they don't get sold in the UK.

You say it's a 2014 TV, should work fine with any HDMI ARC bar.

Last edited by oddbox83; 04-22-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:19 AM   #9

Dec 2008
NY

I am sorry I don't have the Specs of the TV handy, I meant to get them when I was out there ( Man Cave is not attached to the main home ) Most sound Bars will hook up to any TV or do I need to match them?

I am looking for a simple set up that would do Sourround sound and some one could Blue tooth there phone to it to stream music, This is in an area that People are going to be hanging out this is not a theater, Movies will be watched out there from time to time but not it's main function. If I can stay in the $300 Range I would be happy, I do not want to run any more wires so A wire lees rear speaker set up would be nice.

I have this Bar on one of the inside TV's

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers