Best 4K Blu-ray Deals


Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.93
20 hrs ago
Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34
 
Bohemian Rhapsody 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
 
The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
Solo: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.78
 
Wreck-It Ralph 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.58
 
Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Dr. Seuss' The Grinch 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
Jupiter Ascending 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.96
 
Die Hard 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
Inception 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Terminator Genisys 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.94
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #861
DJR662 DJR662 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
DJR662's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6AtmosVuduDV View Post
pbz06

Where is that located, the settings control?

What is that? Whats it's purpose?

Thank you.
It's an hidden options menu buried deep into the service menus. It gives the Z9D upscaling capabilities up to 10K!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #862
E6AtmosVuduDV E6AtmosVuduDV is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2017
California
Default

Walmart started a big new trend now.

Selling High-end HDR TV's with 30 days return window.

Do anyone knows if BEST BUY will price match to Walmart.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #863
E6AtmosVuduDV E6AtmosVuduDV is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2017
California
Default

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. "10k" is someone's screen name on avsforum. He posted in-depth settings and measurements and you can find by clicking his signature. I'm on my mobile now and can copy later if you're not a member there.

Geoff also posted his settings a while ago, mostly similar just subtle preference differences.
pbz06

Im not a AVSforum member. A Copy will be very helpful.

Lots new Z9D's Owners joining high-end AV World. Lots for them to learn.
Obviously Sages are on this forum.

I stll can't get over the 65 Z9D at $1999. Such a Great, Great Value

Last edited by E6AtmosVuduDV; 10-19-2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Finishing
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #864
pbz06 pbz06 is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2009
434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6AtmosVuduDV View Post
Walmart started a big new trend now.

Selling High-end HDR TV's with 30 days return window.

Do anyone knows if BEST BUY will price match to Walmart.
Best Buy is pretty good in price matching reputable/legit stores, so I'm assuming Walmart is one of those they would match.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #865
pbz06 pbz06 is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2009
434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6AtmosVuduDV View Post
pbz06

Im not a AVSforum member. A Copy will be very helpful.

Lots new Z9D's Owners joining high-end AV World. Lots for them to learn.
Obviously Sages are on this forum.

I stll can't get over the 65 Z9D at $1999. Such a Great, Great Value
Here you go, the simple version without the graphs and descriptions. He uses Home for both SDR and HDR, with the only difference being -1 or -2 Gamma for SDR, and XDR to Off or Low (user preference) for SDR. It should be High for HDR. Brightness should stay at Max for HDR, and user preference for SDR, which is normally between 5-10 what most people like. I didn't post his color point adjustments because those are more panel specific.

Cinema Home HDR Settings
Brightness Max
Contrast 95
Gamma 0
Black Level 50
Black Adjust Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Auto Local Dimming Medium
XDR High
Color 50
Hue 0
Color Temp Expert 1

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Auto
Noise Reduction Off
Smooth Gradation Low
Motionflow True Cinema
Cinemotion Low

Mine are pretty exactly the same also, except I use different settings for Game Mode and Sports.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:54 PM   #866
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
1512
4
5
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Agreed with everything you said, including your 100Z9D comment.

On the other hand, perhaps we should be glad with how the Z9D turned out to be. I mean when was the last time a 2,5 years old TV was still relevant in the current market, let alone remained on top? Now that's true value for money I think...
It's not very often that I've bought a TV (usually for silly "you could buy a car with that!" kinda money) and not smarted at the inevitable price reductions and the subsequent unveiling of a superior model. That happens to us all but I just seem to have a true knack for getting the timing horribly wrong. But with this ZD9 I've not regretted either getting it or paying what I did for it, not for a second. It is not the perfect television but for my needs and my particular viewing habits it's been an excellent piece of kit. I might need to get an electric blanket to keep it warm in winter though!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
gkolb (10-20-2018), PeterTHX (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 12:48 AM   #867
gkolb gkolb is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
gkolb's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA
502
6
Default

Geoff, I feel the same way about those price reductions, I got in at $5 large, and now it’s down to $2. If the darn 75” would budge off of $7K here in the States I’d get one of those for $5 and move the 65” into the Living Room.

I’m afraid they’re just going to sell out of the 75” for the big money on a 2.5 yr old TV.
There’s always Micro-LED’s or 8K in the crystal balls. In motion the future is...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #868
E6AtmosVuduDV E6AtmosVuduDV is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2017
California
Default

pbz06

Thank you very much.

Helped me put more clear thought on Black adjust, Adv. contrast emhancer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #869
DJR662 DJR662 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
DJR662's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolb View Post
Geoff, I feel the same way about those price reductions, I got in at $5 large, and now itís down to $2. If the darn 75Ē would budge off of $7K here in the States Iíd get one of those for $5 and move the 65Ē into the Living Room.

Iím afraid theyíre just going to sell out of the 75Ē for the big money on a 2.5 yr old TV.
Thereís always Micro-LEDís or 8K in the crystal balls. In motion the future is...
MicroLED and actual 8K content are still a long way off though...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #870
Black Sabbath Black Sabbath is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Black Sabbath's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
13
18
102
Default

Hey all,

asking here due to some of you already owning, or coming from some of these Sony TVs, but my dad recently purchased the Samsung QN55Q6FNAFXZA (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6202120) but is having a little buyers remorse about it. Picture looks great, but he said there's something that he's still lacking from it. So was curious if anyone had any opinions on comparable (or better) Sonys in the $1100-1200 range.

Skimming through the thread, like I said looks like some of you either already own certain models or have upgraded from them, so was just curious if anyone had any input they'd like to share!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #871
E6AtmosVuduDV E6AtmosVuduDV is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2017
California
Default

Note comparison to Sony X900F at end of Rtings review.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...fn-q6f-q6-2018


A side by side
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...g-q6fn/585/623

There are better Sonys but they come only in 65 inch or larger.
Sony 65 inch Z9D at Best Buys $1999 is a Run Away deal. Which once retailed for $7000 for this World Class TV.
At better HDR Movie, Movie score
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...-x900f/425/585

Thus Sony X900F is an excellent model at 55 inch for your father

Last edited by E6AtmosVuduDV; 10-20-2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Finishing
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #872
E6AtmosVuduDV E6AtmosVuduDV is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2017
California
Default

Try Black Level 48 or little lower, mine set at 48.

and X-tended Dynamic Range low or even better as OFF__Here I prefer low to not affect brightness on screen.

My gamma is 0.

Other forum members may have better settings. They can share to us all. To have nice control on blooming, haloing____While Z9D PQ is wonderfully excellent.

Last edited by E6AtmosVuduDV; 10-20-2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Finishing
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #873
gkolb gkolb is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
gkolb's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA
502
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRocker View Post
So far this(65inch z9d) is an excellent display. Right now, I'm not seeing motion issues. In terms of limiting haloing and blooming, its a major leap from the x930e. However, I am seeing sometimes similar small clouds of halos(not as large as the x930e) in certain dark scenes with bright backgrounds(light fixtures, candles, ect) scenes. The scenes that struggled on the x930e(Dark Knight Rises, Batman meeting Catwoman in Bane's lair) and the campfire scene from Ridiculous 6(33 min mark) show no blooming. However, I still see blooming in some dark scenes such as in Hostiles(Christian Bale Western), where Bale is talking to another character in the dark. It's the old west, and there's a large candle(light source) coming from the table they are sitting at. Has anyone noticed this on their 65inch z9ds, or could I have a lemon? I know Vincent says haloing is largely non-existent on the display he used. Sony ZD9 (Z9D) Review vs 2017 OLED TV - YouTube Any thoughts? Thanks.
Iím not very sensitive to haloing or ringing, the only time I notice the halos on mine is during the white text on a black screen, like end credits. I accept it as the trade off for having a 1700 nit TV instead of an OLED.

OTOH, Sonyís 14-bit processing and scene by scene tone mapping algorithms make HDR10 a GREAT experience for a 2016 display. Unless my unit takes a crap and dies, Iíll probably wait for micro-LED or 8K or 12-bit displays before I change this for something else. The manufacturers will probably string us along so we canít get everything we want all at once.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #874
DJR662 DJR662 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
DJR662's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRocker View Post
So far this(65inch z9d) is an excellent display. Right now, I'm not seeing motion issues. In terms of limiting haloing and blooming, its a major leap from the x930e. However, I am seeing sometimes similar small clouds of halos(not as large as the x930e) in certain dark scenes with bright backgrounds(light fixtures, candles, ect) scenes. The scenes that struggled on the x930e(Dark Knight Rises, Batman meeting Catwoman in Bane's lair) and the campfire scene from Ridiculous 6(33 min mark) show no blooming. However, I still see blooming in some dark scenes such as in Hostiles(Christian Bale Western), where Bale is talking to another character in the dark. It's the old west, and there's a large candle(light source) coming from the table they are sitting at. Has anyone noticed this on their 65inch z9ds, or could I have a lemon? I know Vincent says haloing is largely non-existent on the display he used. Sony ZD9 (Z9D) Review vs 2017 OLED TV - YouTube Any thoughts? Thanks.
What are the settings you're using for HDR?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #875
DJR662 DJR662 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
DJR662's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6AtmosVuduDV View Post
Try Black Level 48 or little lower, mine set at 48.

and X-tended Dynamic Range low or even better as OFF__Here I prefer low to not affect brightness on screen.

My gamma is 0.

Other forum members may have better settings. They can share to us all. To have nice control on blooming, haloing____While Z9D PQ is wonderfully excellent.
For HDR, XDR should always be set to high.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #876
E6AtmosVuduDV E6AtmosVuduDV is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2017
California
Default

"Double-Edge Sword"

"You can push this effect up to get the strongest contrast by setting the X-tended Dynamic Range setting to Medium or High. This is a double-edged sword..."

Quote:
The X9D's excellent contrast ratio is enabled by an LED backlight array that can selectively dim or brighten parts of the screen. You can push this effect up to get the strongest contrast by setting the X-tended Dynamic Range setting to Medium or High. This is a double-edged sword that becomes apparent when watching The Great Gatsby. The picture itself offers crisp dark blacks and very bright whites in the high-contrast party scenes, letting details like the texture of black suits and hair appear clearly even in shadows. Flesh tones also look very natural against the wildly differing levels of bright and dark.

However, the selective dimming of the backlight array produces very prominent light bloom in the letterboxing of the frame. If a scene is very dark, the letterboxing will appear black. If the scene is very dark but has a bright subject on it, like a well-lit close-up of a face against shadows, the letterbox will show glowing haze above or below that subject. It doesn't compromise the quality of whatever you're watching, but it can be a visual nuisance that OLED TVs like Sony's A1E and LG's C7P series don't deal with,

https://www.pcmag.com/review/358771/sony-xbr-65z9d

.

Last edited by E6AtmosVuduDV; 10-20-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Finishing
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #877
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
1512
4
5
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolb View Post
Iím not very sensitive to haloing or ringing, the only time I notice the halos on mine is during the white text on a black screen, like end credits. I accept it as the trade off for having a 1700 nit TV instead of an OLED.

OTOH, Sonyís 14-bit processing and scene by scene tone mapping algorithms make HDR10 a GREAT experience for a 2016 display. Unless my unit takes a crap and dies, Iíll probably wait for micro-LED or 8K or 12-bit displays before I change this for something else. The manufacturers will probably string us along so we canít get everything we want all at once.
Funny, my experience is the opposite: credits look amazingly good, zero bloom, but in real world content there is definite blooming on bright highlights in darker scenes. It's not something that generally distracts in and of itself (apart from when the backlight goes all the way funky on something that fades up from black with lots of little points of light, the opening to Life is murder on this TV) it's when the scene cuts to another angle and there's now dark where the bright spot was that I can see the light decaying, bearing in mind I'm watching in a completely dark room so these things may stand out more. That said, I don't often notice any flashlighting in the black bars. Not to say it's not there, but it's a very mild intrusion even in a darkened environment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #878
ClassicRocker ClassicRocker is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
What are the settings you're using for HDR?
I use Dolby Vision and Cinema Pro at night with brightness at 95, local dimming medium, and extended dynamic range medium or off. Really the same settings I used for the x930e 65inch. I usually don't think settings will minimize haloing. Will settings minimize haloing? Never did on my x930e, but again that didn't have 600 zones. It's much better than the x930e was, including those two scenes I mentioned. I just want to make sure I don't have a lemon. AV Youtuber Whisper Status 74 usually claims that a FALD device with abnormal haloing can be a lemon. However, this is not flash-lighting. What I see are small clouds on the black bars. They typically are always dark but the cloud occurs once in a while in a scene. Is this normal? I can take videos tonight if that helps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:39 PM   #879
ClassicRocker ClassicRocker is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRocker View Post
I use Dolby Vision and Cinema Pro at night with brightness at 95, local dimming medium, and extended dynamic range medium or off. Really the same settings I used for the x930e 65inch. I usually don't think settings will minimize haloing. Will settings minimize haloing? Never did on my x930e, but again that didn't have 600 zones. It's much better than the x930e was, including those two scenes I mentioned. I just want to make sure I don't have a lemon. AV Youtuber Whisper Status 74 usually claims that a FALD device with abnormal haloing can be a lemon. However, this is not flash-lighting. What I see are small clouds on the black bars. They typically are always dark but the cloud occurs once in a while in a scene. Is this normal? I can take videos tonight if that helps.
Contrast, not brightness.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:11 PM   #880
recS-12 recS-12 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
recS-12's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Tucson, Az USA
909
463
48
157
212
65
Default

ClassicR-
Have you tried Netflix 4K or any other streaming 4K materials? I recently finished season 1 of ďMINDHUNTERĒ in DolbyVision 4K Netflix. Lots of darker scenes in jailhouse interviews, club scenes, bar scenes. Lots of opportunity to notice haloing issues. (None that I saw) For me I was Blown Away by how beautifully the PQ was not to mention the show itself is EXCELLENT. I watched through the apps in the Z9D. If you have 4K Netflix I highly recommend giving it a try.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:29 AM.