Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men: Apocalypse 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.99
9 hrs ago
Dr. Seuss' The Grinch 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Independence Day: Resurgence 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.99

The Book of Life 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
3 hrs ago
Ready Player One 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.78

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.96
19 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.99

$14.96
4 hrs ago
Prometheus 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Dredd 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.00
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Default Passive 3D Projectors

Anyone have one of these? I've been trying to read a little bit the last few days and this is the one I see pop up the most:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...sku=V11H494020

Anyone have one? Thoughts? Opinions? Any help or input is appreciated
Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012
Missouri

It's not marketed toward home theater use. That's all I gather.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #3

Apr 2013
Milwaukee, WI

Hey everyone! New member here and I gotta say this forum has definitely inspired me to continue to collect movies. Many of you have very impressive systems and setups on a level I one day hope to get to. Anyways, Im looking to buy a 3D projector coming up soon and believe I have decided on the Epson 3020. I would love the 5020, but with just finishing up college and all I can't afford that level of quality yet. Can anyone with the 3020 possibly post any screenshots they have. I have seen many from the 5010 and 5020 but rarely see the quality level of the 3020. I appreciate your help!

Sorry I had to post on this thread.....can't post my own since I'm new

Last edited by DominicDeCocco4; 04-11-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #4

Aug 2008
Talking

Welcome DominicDeCocco4!

No new threads (threats), that's our initiation
Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
Special Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sabbath View Post
Anyone have one of these? I've been trying to read a little bit the last few days and this is the one I see pop up the most:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...sku=V11H494020

Anyone have one? Thoughts? Opinions? Any help or input is appreciated
The only thing I know about "passive" projectors is that they need a special silver screen. They won't work with regular projector screens.... if that helps.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

I know there is more than one passive stacking 3D projection solutions.

Also check these one out: http://www.airflex5d.com/

http://www.curtpalme.com/3DEvolver.shtm

I don't know anyone on this forum who has done something like this as of yet. Probably a few guys over at AVS. I would think you would have excellent brightness, not sure about ghosting. I'm sure results are close to what you would have in some commercial venues with passive glasses. Would that mean more cross talk? I'm not sure. I do know that finding a screen that maintains polarization is a big part of this solution as well.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 AM   #7

Dec 2007
Ft. Myers, FL

A couple of weeks ago Art at Projector Reviews received the Epson dual projector passive 3D setup that is intended for classroom use. He will be doing a review of various classroom projectors and will probably include these in his review. I don't know if Art currently has a silver screen available to test the passive 3D, or perhaps Epson will be providing one. Passive 3D performance, in terms of 3D crosstalk/ghosting generally depends primarily on the screen's ability to retain the polarization of the projected images from the two projectors. As a result conventional projection screens are not suitable for passive 3D and likewise screens that are suitable for passive 3D (i.e., "silver screens") are not very good for 2D projection. Also the quality of the polarizing filters used with the projectors and the quailty of the 3D glasses can also impact the 3D crosstalk level.

If you are interested in passive 3D projection I wrote a 10 part series of blogs last year on the subject. That series starts HERE.

Last edited by ronjones; 04-30-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
Special Member

Oct 2010
New England, USA

There is also the non-polarized Omega 3D filters. Those don't need a silver screen and stay true longer than polarized- from what I read.
I'm not quite at a place where I can commit that much, but you can use any two 2D or 3D projectors. With HD20's under $500 on Amazon that entire setup for the dual projectors can cost a bit under $2K for a 1080p passive 3D HT.
I was THIS close to pursuing this setup, and will as soon as I get a higher paying job (incentivizing). You need 2 (ideally) 1080p projectors (HD20's will work but if you can get 2 that are brighter it will serve you better in doing 3D), 2 3D-XL's (or a PC with dual video outputs- or one of the demultiplexers the Omega system guy sells on eBay), and the 3D kit (also on eBay and also Amazon).
The difference between these and the polarized sets to my mind sounds like the difference beween Real D and IMAX 3D, but I'm not entirely clear on it. In keeping with that difference though, the glasses from most theaters won't work with your home setup. They're passive glasses, but they're not the same as movie theater ones.

Anyway, I'm going from a 720p to a 1080p projector over the next week, and from there I'll start saving up to go Omega on my HT unless something better has come along.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors