Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
10 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Lion King 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.38
4 hrs ago
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Mary Queen of Scots 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.61

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.90

Creed 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Predator: 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.08

The First Purge 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-07-2019, 03:32 AM   #101
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Usually the reviewers would get a screener copy (pretty sure that’s the term) and that would get reviewed. Most likely we’ll have to wait for a USA screener to be sent.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #102
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

I am sure the IT releases will appear in the 3 for 30 or 5 for 50 promotions soon as these probably aren't selling well and gathering dust in the warehouse
Old 01-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #103
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Quote:
DISC INFO:

Disc Size: 45,407,281,666 bytes
Protection: AACS2
Extras: Ultra HD, BD-Java
BDInfo: 0.7.5.3

PLAYLIST REPORT:

Name: 00800.MPLS
Length: 1:38:10.718 (h:m:s.ms)
Size: 43,881,848,832 bytes
Total Bitrate: 59.59 Mbps

VIDEO:

Codec Bitrate Description
----- ------- -----------
MPEG-H HEVC Video 44933 kbps 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / HDR10 / BT.2020 /

AUDIO:

Codec Language Bitrate Description
----- -------- ------- -----------
DTS:X Master Audio English 5554 kbps 7.1-X / 48 kHz / 5554 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)
DTS Audio Italian 768 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit
DTS Audio Spanish 768 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit
DTS Audio Catalan 768 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit
DTS Audio Portuguese 768 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit
DTS Audio Czech 768 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit
DTS Audio Hungarian 768 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit
DTS Audio Polish 768 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit
Dolby Digital Audio English 192 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 192 kbps / Dolby Surround

SUBTITLES:

Codec Language Bitrate Description
----- -------- ------- -----------
Presentation Graphics English 36.002 kbps
Presentation Graphics Italian 26.393 kbps
Presentation Graphics Spanish 29.836 kbps
Presentation Graphics Portuguese 29.784 kbps
Presentation Graphics Czech 26.275 kbps
Presentation Graphics Hungarian 27.112 kbps
Presentation Graphics Polish 27.284 kbps
Presentation Graphics English 83.337 kbps
Presentation Graphics Italian 0.031 kbps
Presentation Graphics Spanish 0.056 kbps
Presentation Graphics Portuguese 0.068 kbps
Presentation Graphics Czech 0.033 kbps
Presentation Graphics Hungarian 0.049 kbps
Thanks given by:
woodley56 (01-10-2019), Zoland2020 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #104
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

What a criminal waste of space. Could have stuffed all the special features in the UHD.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #105
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

Maybe they did. This is Universal, right? They've been doing special features on UHD more than any other studio right now.

Well, aside for HBO.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #106
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post
Maybe they did. This is Universal, right? They've been doing special features on UHD more than any other studio right now.

Well, aside for HBO.
Audio commentary only.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #107
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post

Well, aside for HBO.
DreamWorks was with Paramount and Fox took over them few years back. Now Universal has taken over.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #108
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
What a criminal waste of space. Could have stuffed all the special features in the UHD.
It looks like they used a BD-50 to save money and didn't even utilize most of that either. The bitrate could have been even better.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #109
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

I don't even think BD-50s are an option with the format. The savings would probably be minimal at this point anyway.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #110
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrok View Post
I don't even think BD-50s are an option with the format. The savings would probably be minimal at this point anyway.
BD-50's are indeed an option within the UHD Blu-ray specs.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #111

Jan 2019
Sweden

Anyone seen this in 4K yet?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #112

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter V View Post
I assume that they are the spec for the US release of the disc ?
Old 01-13-2019, 12:19 AM   #113
Special Member

Dec 2010
Austin, TX

Grade: A+

Even almost 10 years later (has it really been that long?) the film holds up extremely well. It is a very sweet and honest portrayal of the bond and friendship that an animal and human can have. Make the animal a dragon, and mix within that family and community themes, some epic fantasy elements, some breathtaking action, and this is what you get. The animation might have aged a bit (just compare it with Incredibles 2), but combined with the talented voice acting and excellent story-telling it makes it stand the test of time, allowing people re-visiting it and newcomers alike to enjoy it to its fullest potential.

Picture: 4.25 / 5
Please don't use the pictures to judge the image quality. How to Train Your Dragon looks excellent. This is perhaps the best use of HDR I've yet to see in an animated film (I plan on watching the second one in 4K soon). There are various excellent uses of HDR throughout the movie. Many of these come from the various fires set against the darkness of the night which the Vikings use as a light source. They set a bright and striking contrast from the darkness around them, with the new format allowing them to look brighter without compromising darker areas, something that an SDR encode cannot achieve, not at this level anyway. Same with various specular highlights from different metallic, rock, and water surfaces reflecting sunlight towards the camera. They look very natural and brighter without compromising the gradations and detail within them. Fine detail is a small upgrade, but given this was made almost 10 years ago, that should not come as a surprise. However, fine detail does look better, probably due to the better compression and more advanced chroma allowed by the format. Wide color gamut is not as impressive as the use of HDR but it looks better nonetheless, allowing for some deep greenery and other colors to look brighter without losing saturation. Overall, the more aggressive use of HDR makes this better than the blu-ray. I'll reiterate that it is the most aggressive use of HDR I've seen in an animated film, and I'd compare the use of it to the likes of Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Two video-games that also use HDR wonderfully, making the CGI look better, punchier, and more natural. Sadly, the HDR is wider than what my phone can capture, hence the clipped highlights on the rocks and crushed blacks on Toothless in the picture above. But that should just tell you how well the new transfer takes advantage of the HDR10 format. I noticed one shot with a bit of compression noise, but otherwise, the compression is spotless, with no banding or other uglies rearing their heads.

Audio: 5 / 5
Great upgrade from the 5.1 mix on the standard blu-ray. The new lossless DTS-X track really opens up the sound field without losing any of the aggressive characteristics that made the older mix demo material for 5.1. All the speakers are constantly busy throughout the whole movie. Be it with atmospherics to make it sound more natural, or more aggressive effects which include a ton of directional and panning effects that swirl every which way around the listener. The two extra surrounds and four heights really help in that. Be it dragons flying above and around, fire starting from the front to one side and then sweeping to the rear and panning to the opposite side. All the speakers are wonderfully integrated, making this demo material once again, but this time for an immersive 3D mix. The low-end is hefty and used pretty much nonstop. Be it from the different dragons spitting fire, different weapons clashing with each other, or structures like houses and caves getting destroyed throughout all the action. And within all that, voices and music stay crystal clear, allowing them to be intelligible (not taking into account the heavy accent). Even with the aggressive use of the subwoofer, nothing sounded clipped or overdone. The top heights might not be used as discretely as in other more heavily-designed mixes, but they are nonetheless incorporated wonderfully, making this a joy to listen to and experience.

At the current price, it'd be a crime not to upgrade this to better picture and demo-worthy immersive sound.
Thanks given by:
Dave_6 (01-13-2019), Dubstar (01-13-2019), eazye24 (01-14-2019), gavinh2008 (01-14-2019), jockmick (01-13-2019), kuma52 (Yesterday), lgans316 (01-14-2019), Matthew.H (01-13-2019), maverick22 (01-13-2019), murakaz (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 03:33 AM   #114

Jan 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlop10 View Post

Grade: A+

Even almost 10 years later (has it really been that long?) the film holds up extremely well. It is a very sweet and honest portrayal of the bond and friendship that an animal and human can have. Make the animal a dragon, and mix within that family and community themes, some epic fantasy elements, some breathtaking action, and this is what you get. The animation might have aged a bit (just compare it with Incredibles 2), but combined with the talented voice acting and excellent story-telling it makes it stand the test of time, allowing people re-visiting it and newcomers alike to enjoy it to its fullest potential.

Picture: 4.25 / 5
Please don't use the pictures to judge the image quality. How to Train Your Dragon looks excellent. This is perhaps the best use of HDR I've yet to see in an animated film (I plan on watching the second one in 4K soon). There are various excellent uses of HDR throughout the movie. Many of these come from the various fires set against the darkness of the night which the Vikings use as a light source. They set a bright and striking contrast from the darkness around them, with the new format allowing them to look brighter without compromising darker areas, something that an SDR encode cannot achieve, not at this level anyway. Same with various specular highlights from different metallic, rock, and water surfaces reflecting sunlight towards the camera. They look very natural and brighter without compromising the gradations and detail within them. Fine detail is a small upgrade, but given this was made almost 10 years ago, that should not come as a surprise. However, fine detail does look better, probably due to the better compression and more advanced chroma allowed by the format. Wide color gamut is not as impressive as the use of HDR but it looks better nonetheless, allowing for some deep greenery and other colors to look brighter without losing saturation. Overall, the more aggressive use of HDR makes this better than the blu-ray. I'll reiterate that it is the most aggressive use of HDR I've seen in an animated film, and I'd compare the use of it to the likes of Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Two video-games that also use HDR wonderfully, making the CGI look better, punchier, and more natural. Sadly, the HDR is wider than what my phone can capture, hence the clipped highlights on the rocks and crushed blacks on Toothless in the picture above. But that should just tell you how well the new transfer takes advantage of the HDR10 format. I noticed one shot with a bit of compression noise, but otherwise, the compression is spotless, with no banding or other uglies rearing their heads.

Audio: 5 / 5
Great upgrade from the 5.1 mix on the standard blu-ray. The new lossless DTS-X track really opens up the sound field without losing any of the aggressive characteristics that made the older mix demo material for 5.1. All the speakers are constantly busy throughout the whole movie. Be it with atmospherics to make it sound more natural, or more aggressive effects which include a ton of directional and panning effects that swirl every which way around the listener. The two extra surrounds and four heights really help in that. Be it dragons flying above and around, fire starting from the front to one side and then sweeping to the rear and panning to the opposite side. All the speakers are wonderfully integrated, making this demo material once again, but this time for an immersive 3D mix. The low-end is hefty and used pretty much nonstop. Be it from the different dragons spitting fire, different weapons clashing with each other, or structures like houses and caves getting destroyed throughout all the action. And within all that, voices and music stay crystal clear, allowing them to be intelligible (not taking into account the heavy accent). Even with the aggressive use of the subwoofer, nothing sounded clipped or overdone. The top heights might not be used as discretely as in other more heavily-designed mixes, but they are nonetheless incorporated wonderfully, making this a joy to listen to and experience.

At the current price, it'd be a crime not to upgrade this to better picture and demo-worthy immersive sound.
I own the second on Blu-Ray and was excited for the 4K Steelbook because I donít own the first. This review has made me so excited to purchase not only the first but even the second on 4K in a Steelbook. Then Iíll eagerly await the 3rd on 4K. This is the best non-Disney film Iíve ever seen.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:55 PM   #115
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Birmingham, AL

Hopefully the LFE on the UHD is on par with the Blu-ray.
Thanks given by:
lgans316 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #116

Aug 2018
Italy

i agree, the 4k resolution doesnt do much but hdr and overall retouch makes the images much better
Old 01-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #117
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
BD-50's are indeed an option within the UHD Blu-ray specs.
Okay sure, but has anything actually come out on a BD50?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies