Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Lucifer: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.15
4 hrs ago
Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Sacrifice! (Blu-ray)
$6.90

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Barry Lyndon (Blu-ray)
$18.96
6 hrs ago
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Handhelds, Mobiles, Tablets, Apps etc

Old 07-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #21
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Here you just look like a dork with a camera next to your eye. It's bound to piss nearly everyone around you off as they'll always think you're monitoring them.
People look like dorks now with skinny jeans (men), sunglasses on their heads etc.. Who cares? You can't go through life wondering what other people think.
Glass could be a game changer.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
People look like dorks now with skinny jeans (men), sunglasses on their heads etc.. Who cares? You can't go through life wondering what other people think.
Glass could be a game changer.
So the part about potentially getting your a** kicked or harassed when short tempered people think you're monitoring them doesn't concern you at all?

At $1000+, glass won't be a game changer unless you slap an apple logo on the side.
Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

Last edited by Hatter; 07-06-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #23
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
So the part about potentially getting your a** kicked or harassed when short tempered people think you're monitoring them doesn't concern you at all?

At $1000+, glass won't be a game changer unless you slap an apple logo on the side.
lol. paranoid people are a strange bunch. the nsa is monitoring everyone, street light camera's record everything, cops have cameras running in their cruisers, people could be taping you with their smartphones, or gopro's on their bikes or in their cars, but somehow wearing a pair of glasses is worse than all of them.

you know a light turns on while it's recording, yes? or if you're so paranoid you're worried you're going to get beat up (what??) maybe stick to staying indoors..or you know, don't buy them

edit: i know the developer ones were $1500, but if i remember correctly they said it'd cost around what smartphones cost. which should be 600ish. i think they were just charging that much to try to keep regular people from buying them..so actual developers would help lol

Last edited by xtop; 07-07-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:

Not really, no. I believe a system will be worked out for that.

I hope that glass takes off because staring at a small smartwatch is not enjoyable to me. Currently people use smartphones for media on the go, if watches replace smartphones I would find it way too awkward to view pics, video etc.. I strain my eyes now, and that is with a 4.8 inch screen. Imagine a 1.5/2 inch screen.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Not really, no. I believe a system will be worked out for that.

I hope that glass takes off because staring at a small smartwatch is not enjoyable to me. Currently people use smartphones for media on the go, if watches replace smartphones I would find it way too awkward to view pics, video etc.. I strain my eyes now, and that is with a 4.8 inch screen. Imagine a 1.5/2 inch screen.
I thought glass wouldn't be such a limited device but watching this video changed that. The fact that you still need a smartphone to call and text with it is absurd. And no there is no led light to tell people you're recording.
Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

Last edited by Hatter; 07-20-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-
Send a message via AIM to Afrobean

Quote:
Youngsters are too shallow these days, they won't wear a contraption on their head no matter what it does.
They might if it's not visible. Take this tech far enough and it'll be able to be hidden within the arm of ordinary looking glasses. Especially if they use the popular thick frames like Wayfarers. The only clue that you're using such a device may well be the visible portion on the glass that actually projects the image for the eye and maybe a camera lens. And one day, we'll likely be able to order a pair of Google Glass prescription glasses or sunglasses or both. Why not?

And what about bluetooth earpieces? Those things are often garish, but people still use them because they're convenient and useful. This thing is effectively for visual media what bluetooth is for audio, and as we move toward using our phones less for actual telephony and more for media consumption in general, this sort of tech makes sense.

It's not quite time for it yet though.
I need to stop buying so many movies and not getting around to watching them.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

I'm impressed with "wearable internet" and "augmented reality" glasses, like Google Glass, but I believe most of the companies developing these devices are on the wrong tangent. As someone said above, untethering the glasses from handhelds is the key. Handhelds are just miniaturized sedentary devices that de facto cannot capitalize fully on the advantages of mobile. Only by replacing handhelds with a revolutionary device that interfaces directly with the eye can wireless realize its full potential.

The killer app is text messaging, which has replaced email and phone as the communication method of choice. The glasses device that enables us to intuitively text without using hands or voice will begin to rapidly capture market share from handhelds. Of course, transmitting still images and motion video will also be necessary. But "internet" is not necessary in such a device. Nor is augmented reality that further removes us from our environment, as today's smart phones do.

B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 08-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #28
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I thought glass wouldn't be such a limited device but watching this video changed that. The fact that you still need a smartphone to call and text with it is absurd. And no there is no led light to tell people you're recording.
Google Glass review | Engadget - YouTube
Baby steps. The light will come. So will the independent device. This thing is not released yet.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
They might if it's not visible. Take this tech far enough and it'll be able to be hidden within the arm of ordinary looking glasses. Especially if they use the popular thick frames like Wayfarers. The only clue that you're using such a device may well be the visible portion on the glass that actually projects the image for the eye and maybe a camera lens. And one day, we'll likely be able to order a pair of Google Glass prescription glasses or sunglasses or both. Why not?

And what about bluetooth earpieces? Those things are often garish, but people still use them because they're convenient and useful. This thing is effectively for visual media what bluetooth is for audio, and as we move toward using our phones less for actual telephony and more for media consumption in general, this sort of tech makes sense.

It's not quite time for it yet though.
People only wear glasses if they have to.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-

Quote:
People only wear glasses if they have to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lensless_glasses

No, people wear glasses if they have a reason to. Any reason they deem appropriate. Vision correction is one reason. Fashion is another. Blocking UV rays or bright light can be a reason. So can watching a 3D movie. Or protecting one's eyes from debris or chemicals.

Digital utility can be a reason too.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Google Glass performs the same functions as any smartphone/handheld. It also acts as a peripheral, meaning you need your phone in addition to Glass. So your "digital utility" reason is a bit specious.

I admit there's a market for it, though. Business Insider estimates the market at $11 billion by 2018, but I think that's quite optimistic.

http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...by-2018-2013-5

It's my belief that Glass would need to enable eye gaze operation and become hands-free voice-free, and would also need to be a self-contained device (not relying on a handheld) in order to achieve $11 billion in revenue by 2018.

B&W Speakers

Last edited by Gremal; 08-11-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post
Google Glass performs the same functions as any smartphone/handheld. It also acts as a peripheral, meaning you need your phone in addition to Glass. So your "digital utility" reason is a bit specious.

I admit there's a market for it, though. Business Insider estimates the market at $11 billion by 2018, but I think that's quite optimistic.

http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...by-2018-2013-5

It's my belief that Glass would need to enable eye gaze operation and become hands-free voice-free, and would also need to be a self-contained device (not relying on a handheld) in order to achieve $11 billion in revenue by 2018.
Bluetooth earpieces require a handset to be carried, but people still are interested in using them. Because the convenience of not having to hold the device and having it "always on" is useful for a lot of people.

Same idea here. No need to pull your phone out of your bag or pocket, no need to hold it up if you want to look something up or play a game or get directions. It might seem like a minor inconvenience to just hold your phone and look at it, but people have already shown that they don't like going to the trouble of holding their phone and just listening to it.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Bluetooth earpieces require a handset to be carried, but people still are interested in using them. Because the convenience of not having to hold the device and having it "always on" is useful for a lot of people.
Excellent point. You can get a Bluetooth peripheral for under $100 to go hands-free. So why would you spend $1500 on Glass?

Quote:
Same idea here. No need to pull your phone out of your bag or pocket, no need to hold it up if you want to look something up or play a game or get directions. It might seem like a minor inconvenience to just hold your phone and look at it, but people have already shown that they don't like going to the trouble of holding their phone and just listening to it.
But the advantages over Bluetooth are few. You still have to use voice, hands or some combination thereof. The real advance would be optoelectrically performing functions using eye gaze commands. But Glass doesn't enable that. In fact, the display on Glass is slightly above your field of vision so that you still need to look away from your surroundings, not unlike handhelds.

B&W Speakers
Old 08-14-2013, 04:30 AM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post
Excellent point. You can get a Bluetooth peripheral for under $100 to go hands-free. So why would you spend $1500 on Glass?
You can get a bluetooth earpiece for 10 bucks.

But a bluetooth earpiece isn't truly hands-free. It allows hands-free listening and hands-free talking, but many, many, MANY people don't even use their phones primarily for those things anymore. Smartphones are superpowered personal media devices. We play games, watch videos, browse the web, etc. Those things cannot be done hands-free with a bluetooth earpiece. Google Glass is the visual analogue to a bluetooth earpiece's auditory functionality. Bluetooth lets us hear, Google Glass let's us see.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Yes, Glass is Bluetooth for the eye. It's an evolutionary advance, not revolutionary. People will still be walking around and talking to their device, and Glass is not truly hands-free.

Unlike the ear, the eye can function as an output device. To fully realize the potential of wireless, a gadget must enable the ability to think a thought and transmit that thought without requiring hands or voice. But Glass doesn't allow for eye gaze commands. Until some device does, it will not be able to end the smartphone era.

B&W Speakers

Last edited by Gremal; 08-16-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #36
Banned

Sep 2013

Thanks a lot friends for sharing your useful tips and suggestions i really appreciate it..
Old 10-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Microsoft is now reportedly developing an eyewearable device that will compete with Google Glass.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/10/...-google-glass/

B&W Speakers
Old 10-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

...and Samsung is developing an eyewearable too. http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/10/...r/?mod=WSJBlog

Hmmm...Google, Microsoft, Samsung and a bunch of smaller companies including Recon Instruments, Meta, Telepathy and GlassUp. I have to believe Apple is doing something in this space. iGlasses, anyone?

B&W Speakers
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Handhelds, Mobiles, Tablets, Apps etc