Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.96
15 hrs ago
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
Lucifer: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.15

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$26.42
5 hrs ago
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$9.99

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Sailor Moon Super S: Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.37

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 04-01-2017, 04:36 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country
Default Panasonic DMP-BDT460: Yay or Nay?

Since Publisher's Clearing House won't come by my door, I don't have the money for the $700 Panny, so I was thinking about the BDT460. Always had good luck with Panasonic. No page in the wiki for it though, and only scattered forum posts. Any thoughts or red flags?
"A tap-dancing chicken act? Gonzo, I've never heard of anything as ridiculous as a dancing chicken."

"How about a talking frog?"

Do they serve frog's legs in Kokomo?
Old 04-08-2017, 11:41 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Well my DMP-BD605 was starting to freeze in the middle of playback, so I went ahead and ordered the BDT460.

First impressions: it's about the same length as the 605, around 18 inches long, a little thinner, but it's definitely lighter. Considering how the 605 was made ten years ago, that's to be expected.

The remote for the 460 is a stubby joke, though, so I'm very grateful the 605's remote is compatible without any tinkering or programming. I just pressed power and the 460 came right on. Only downsides are a lack of Netflix button (who cares), and that this player doesn't have a dedicated Top Menu function. Stubby doesn't have that button, and pressing it on the old remote just acts like Pop-up Menu.

Second impression: It's noisy compared to the previous player. On silent scenes, such as the opening of Dogma, you can clearly hear the disc spinning. Not a problem when music or dialogue is playing, just something minor.
"A tap-dancing chicken act? Gonzo, I've never heard of anything as ridiculous as a dancing chicken."

Last edited by shinobipopcorn; 04-09-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:50 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

There isn't really a discussion thread for this player, but I thought I'd use this one to share my experience with it so many months later:

I haven't had it overheat, but it did freeze once. Ironically not while playing a disc, but while watching Netflix. I quit out by just hitting power on the remote, and instead it quit the application and froze the firmware. I could still play with the network features, but it wouldn't return to home or turn off without yanking the cord.

I do like the ability to play videos from USB, but I have had trouble getting it to play AVI even though the instruction book says it's compatible. MP4, MKV, M4V all play fine, but AVI doesn't like to play at all. Turns out you can get AVI to play if it's encoded as an XviD. (Even though the player can handle all those other newer formats, it can't play AVI unless it's in that older one. And also only in Canada for some reason, per the book?)

Old 04-15-2018, 12:28 AM   #4

Oct 2014

Yeah, I've got one as well. Mine has frozen on me while going through the menu, and it's never frozen on me while playing a disc.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:32 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Does anyone with this player have VUDU on the network service screen, or the ability to download it from the store? Apparently it's an option according to the database and internet searches, but it's not in there when I look for it. All I see that is useful is netflix and youtube (since cinemanow is dead). There are a bunch of other video apps for services I have never heard of...

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Tags
dmp-bdt460, panasonic