Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Metropolis (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.19

Patlabor the Mobile Police: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$74.29

Sailor Moon S: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$22.28

Made in Abyss - Premium Box Set (Blu-ray)
$114.29

Rosario + Vampire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.59

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Blu-ray)
$43.96
2 hrs ago
K-ON Complete Collection Premium Box Set (Blu-ray)
$159.99

Marmalade Boy: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.49

Sailor Moon Super S: Season 4, Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$55.29

SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist - The Complete Series - Essentials (Blu-ray)
$20.59

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions the Movie: Take On Me (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 05-30-2014, 01:08 AM   #1
Special Member

Apr 2010
Default Anime on DVD pick-ups

So, there's a lot of anime out there that isn't on Blu-ray (and may never be), some of it can be had for pretty cheap now (and sometimes not). And while I'm definitely a Blu-ray/HD kind of guy, some times you can't pass up a good deal on something you'll (probably) never see in HD.

Late last year I got a pretty good deal on a near complete set of Tetsujin 28 (2004) for about $20. Turned out I was missing the final volume, but I thought it was still a good deal. I'm a big fan of Yasuhiro Imagawa, particularly the Giant Robot - The Animation OVA, so it really was a bit of a no-brainer to grab these volumes for that price.

Today I picked up the complete 4 volume set of Getter Robo Armageddon for $10. Which is yet more retro giant robot action.

I also got the first volume of Those Who Hunt Elves for $7. I thought it was a complete series set though, but it turns out its volume 1 of a 2 volume set for the first season. ADV was kind of bad at making the numbering of their releases clear, or even how many, or which, episodes make up a volume (in the case of Getter Robo).

What about the rest of you, do DVD releases still hold any interest to you at all?
Old 05-30-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US

I tried to hold on. I still bought a few releases because I thought they'd never go BD.
With more and more companies regularly putting out a DVD and then the BD just a few months later, my DVD habit is becoming less and less. I still bookmark a few product pages for stuff I really dig, but I have less and less incentive to bite the bullet.

edit: Last modern releases I got were somewhere along the lines of... Amagami, Lovely COmplex, Oreimo, Place to Place... Love Love, A-Channel... I think that's iut? I dont really remember their order of release, but it was mostly stuff like that.

The stuff I've bookmarked most recently are Myself; Yourself, Dog & Scissors, SNAFU, and Photo Kano.

Last edited by u_nick; 05-30-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

I switched over to all-Blu-ray for regular Hollywood movies about 5 years ago, so when I started collecting anime just a year ago, I totally cringed when I realized I'd have to actually buy some DVDs again... 480p just looks like fuzzy crap on a 120" projection screen - I continually feel like I have to jump up and focus the projector! But, I did break down and buy a few DVD series for my collection anyway. Many are used; but some of these are just too good to ignore! Here are a few pics of some I snagged - all of these pics I had posted here in the anime forum previously:

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 05-30-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:14 AM   #4

Oct 2012
-
-

most shows Discotek and Nozomi put out I end up buying. The latest being Mazinger Z TV series vol 1, various Lupin Sansei DVDs, and Space Adventure Cobra TV series part 2.
Also have Ringing Bell and Cat's Eye DVDs pre-order. I'd prefer to not have to purchase these on DVD anymore, but you take what yo can get you know.
Thanks given by:
UseY0ur1llusi0n (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #5

Dec 2009

How hard was it to remove the S.A.V.E. sticker from Shangri-La Girls With Guns?
I ordered it but it is on back order so I hope it comes in.
My collection click HT Gallery to view them.
My WTB's HERE
Served in the Military and like blu's come talk about it HERE

*Alert!!!* Best Buy Will Be Changing And Shrinking Their Media Section Soon!!!

Click HERE for more details.

Site FAQ

RIP ironsmile35
Old 05-30-2014, 04:39 AM   #6
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
If it's anything like how Funimation used those stickers before, the sticker was on the shrinkwrap.

I still buy quite a few Anime DVDs.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:40 AM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Anime is one of the last genres I'll usually deign to buy on DVD if I don't think a reasonably-priced BD is coming out.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:43 AM   #8

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Anime is one of the last genres I'll usually deign to buy on DVD if I don't think a reasonably-priced BD is coming out.
I would prefer blu ray but sometimes those shows will never get a blu ray release sadly. I usually don't buy DVD's unless I know that the blu will never come out.

Chrome Shelled Regios being on of them.
My WTB's HERE

Site FAQ

RIP ironsmile35
Old 05-30-2014, 04:56 AM   #9
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
What about the rest of you, do DVD releases still hold any interest to you at all?
I would have LIKED a Blu-ray of xxxHolic (it aired in HD) but I still don't see it as forthcoming, and Funi's S.A.V.E. edition made it a nice pickup on Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegum2032 View Post
most shows Discotek and Nozomi put out I end up buying.
If Nozomi only has Dirty Pair TV sub-only on DVD, then who am I to argue? It's better than not having it at all, and I speak from twenty years of experience.
Similarly, I'd forgotten just how much I liked the snarky sentimentality of Lovely Complex on fansub, until I found the sub-only Discotek series running low at a good price on Amazon, and I knew if Discotek had the set, it must be a classic.

I'm not fooled by upgrades, and while it's nice to have Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon converted to Blu, the first job of a DVD is to preserve for posterity.

Last edited by EricJ; 05-30-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:15 AM   #10
Special Member

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post

I have GOT to get my hands on FLAG one of these days. Ryōsuke Takahashi is another of my favorite directors (My kingdom for ANYTHING Votoms on Blu-ray)
Old 05-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #11

Oct 2012
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
Ryōsuke Takahashi is another of my favorite directors (My kingdom for ANYTHING Votoms on Blu-ray)
Several of the modern Votoms OVAs have BD releases, though aren't english friendly. The series is what I really want, which was remastered in 2008 I believe. Scanned in HD or not I don't know.
We do need some Votoms in hi-def though most certainly.
Thanks given by:
Jim Purcell (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Here's my posts about that from over in the Official Anime thread - Stickers are applied directly on the box, so be careful - use a hairdryer to heat them up and pull very slowly, and they'll come off perfectly clean... I damaged the first box I got when the one sticker decided to let loose halfway through pulling it off, and it took printing along with it... so mad, I ordered a second copy, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREYMAX 3D View Post
They did basically the same thing with the Shangri La DVD S.A.V.E. edition that just came out a few weeks ago - there they just taped a full S.A.V.E. paper sheet over the front of the LE Chipboard box and put both parts in the box, so you basically got the $90+ LE edition, fully populated, for only $14.99. Can't beat that!

[Show spoiler]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREYMAX 3D View Post
Well, when you do get your copy, just be careful taking off the stickers that hold the S.A.V.E. sheet on the box - there's two clear, round stickers about 2" / 5cm in diameter, stuck right on the box surface - I ripped the sheet in half so I had some paper to pull up on while removing each sticker, and I used a hair dryer to heat the sticky a bit so it peels off without ripping the printing off the box - found that out the hard way with my first copy, pulled some of the printing off the top of the box when the sticker let loose all of a sudden, and I was so mad I ordered a second copy and used the hairdryer trick on it... worked great the second time, just pull verrry slowwwwly.

[Show spoiler]

Old 05-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
I would prefer blu ray but sometimes those shows will never get a blu ray release sadly. I usually don't buy DVD's unless I know that the blu will never come out.

Chrome Shelled Regios being on of them.
I don't think Chrome Shelled Regios is ever going to hit Blu-ray.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
Power Member

Nov 2012

I relucantly buy DVD's as well since so many may never get a BD release. Mostly Bandai or those obscure titles that just aren't widely popular for whatever reason. I have zero reservations though with Nozomi/Lucky Penny or Rightstuf Thinpaks though, those are done so well done I don't mind the format especially if they have a booklet. Also some ADV films releases, and One Piece because god knows when it will come out on blu..
Panasonic 55ST30
Sony BDP-S6500
Onkyo NR818
Paradigm Studio Series
Old 05-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #15

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I don't think Chrome Shelled Regios is ever going to hit Blu-ray.
Probably not. I enjoyed the show but I guess not enough interest for it. Once is hits S.A.V.E. it is pretty much done.
My WTB's HERE

Site FAQ

RIP ironsmile35
Old 05-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #16
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Probably not. I enjoyed the show but I guess not enough interest for it. Once is hits S.A.V.E. it is pretty much done.
But I do wonder about all of these shows Funimation picked up from ADV which have all gone S.A.V.E. which was probably because with that lawsuit, it wasn't sure what the fate those series had as long as that lawsuit was still happening. But like the article I posted it has now been dismissed, so now it seems like with those shows anything could happen.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #17
Power Member

Jan 2014

Before I went to a bluray only unless it's a dvd release only policy a few years ago I'd benn collecting anime since the very early 2000's I had amassed a very large collection of dvds.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #18
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
I would have LIKED a Blu-ray of xxxHolic (it aired in HD) but I still don't see it as forthcoming, and Funi's S.A.V.E. edition made it a nice pickup on Amazon.

If Nozomi only has Dirty Pair TV sub-only on DVD, then who am I to argue? It's better than not having it at all, and I speak from twenty years of experience.
Similarly, I'd forgotten just how much I liked the snarky sentimentality of Lovely Complex on fansub, until I found the sub-only Discotek series running low at a good price on Amazon, and I knew if Discotek had the set, it must be a classic.

I'm not fooled by upgrades, and while it's nice to have Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon converted to Blu, the first job of a DVD is to preserve for posterity.

Dude-the Dirty Pair got me into anime 13 years ago so Kei and Yuri will always have a special place in my anime collection.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:23 AM   #19

Oct 2012
-
-

Picked up Media Blasters Iczer-One DVD. Lesbian Aliens, mecha, naked pilots, light sabers, Copious amounts of gore, and good old 80's OVA aesthetic & charm. Just a typical Saturday night for myself really
Thanks given by:
UseY0ur1llusi0n (06-04-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #20

Aug 2012
Madison, WI

Recently, I went to pick up my anime from my parents house, since I was going to sell them.. However, I was excited to find R.O.D. the TV collection. It was like christmas opening the boxes.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime