Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sailor Moon Super S: Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.37
12 hrs ago
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Blu-ray)
$43.96

Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.19

Metropolis (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Outlaw Star: Complete Series - Classic (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Patlabor the Mobile Police: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$74.29

SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist - The Complete Series - Essentials (Blu-ray)
$20.59

Sailor Moon S: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$22.99

My Hero Academia: Season Two Part One (Blu-ray)
$37.67

Angel Cop: Complete OVA Series (Blu-ray)
$20.95

Rosario + Vampire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.59

K-ON Complete Collection Premium Box Set (Blu-ray)
$159.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 08-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA
Lightbulb Blu-ray/DVD/Steelbook Plastic Box Protectors for your Anime Collection

There are a couple threads here on blu-ray.com that deal with products to provide external protection for your Blu-rays, DVDs and Steelbooks when storing them on your media shelves, to alleviate shelf wear, avoid oily fingerprints, repell splashed liquids, and simply keep them in as pristine condition as possible. This thread is intended to go into detail on a specific protection - clear plastic box protectors - and the sizes available anyone here in the anime forum finds that will fit specific packaging for anime releases.

Background: Many Japanese anime releases, especially Limited Editon Box sets, already come prepackaged inside re-closable or re-sealable plastic bags. On the other hand, almost all domestic anime in the U.S. is sealed at the factory in flimsy shrink wrap plastic, which is more damaging to the packaging than anything because of the tight shrink-to-fit aspect of it - and is not really re-usable once opened or removed. There are aftermarket re-sealable OPP bags available for disc media, but I find them to be very thin (1 or 1.5 mil), easily damaged, and frustrating to get media cases into. The sticky seal strip on the flaps of those bags are rather cumbersome to work with once the bag is re-opened, as they can attach themselves to the outside of your collectible packaging when inserting the anime back into the bags, potentially damaging the nice finish you're trying to protect in the first place. Also, plastic bags have unsightly corner flaps that tend to stick out helter-skelter when lined up on your media shelf, and the bag seams or creases run right down the middle of the case spine - so I'm not overly excited with their overall appearance on the shelf.

As a more rugged and much more attractive protection than loose-fitting bags, there are also Steelbook Protectors available which are made of a clear, stiff but flexible, acid-free, archive grade 12 mil P.E.T. (polyethylene terephthalate), which is the same plastic material water and soda bottles are made of. These are what I wish to examine in detail in this thread. Over the past few months I have discovered sources for these protectors not just for Steelbooks, but for numerous sizes that fit Blu-ray and DVD cases very nicely, with and without slipcovers, and even ones to fit slightly larger-dimensioned side-load slipboxes such as those from Aniplex of America.

Many people use protectors from the UK-based Steelbookcentral.com; these are fairly popular, and come in various sizes for different sized steelbooks - and there are a few other sources for steelbook protectors found on the web. If anyone deals with Steelbookcentral or one of these other sources already, I'd like to ask you to contribute the sizing information for the protectors as it relates to what anime packaging it fits well, and even some photos if possible. Let's help everyone here in obtaining the best protection possible for for their valuable anime collections!
Girls With Guns Avatar: Her name is Koko. She is Loco. I said "Oh No!" Koko Hekmatyar From Jormungand

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 08-11-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
Blu_Ray_Addict (08-07-2016), Chopstick (05-10-2017), Clark Kent (04-09-2017), jhanig (08-07-2016), Jol (02-01-2018), KillaCam (08-07-2016), Nostalgic Twilight (08-07-2016), Pequod (09-17-2016), Sleee (08-07-2016), Toutankhamon13 (09-02-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

A source here in the U.S. that does provide protectors specifically sized for blu-ray and DVD is RetroProtection. They have both a website, retroprotection.com, and an eBay Store. I have been dealing with them because they provide many sizes that I need to cover different anime packaging sizes. These protectors are fully enclosed boxes, enclosing and protecting all six sides of the packaging. The protectors can be found under the DVD / BLU-RAY and STEELBOOK section links on their website. I prefer my protectors to be as form-fitting as possible, to minimize loss of shelf space due to the extra space the covers themselves take up, so what I find as the proper size may not quite jive with how they are listed on the website.

Here are the sizes I've found very useful so far from RetroProtection. I myself have already purchased a few hundred of these so far. They all can be ordered individually or in lots up to 200. Depending on the quantity ordered, these will run anywhere between $.60 to $1.00 each - but to me that is a trivial cost added to each of your expensive anime releases to have pretty much the ultimate in protection. The protectors listed below are all for single, one-case releases; I am still looking for larger boxes that might fit something like 2-case-wide Funimation LE chipboard boxes in either G1 or G2 sizes.

NOTE: The green part numbers I have listed for RetroProtection Protectors BD14, BD16, BD18, BD20, DVD15, BD18 are NOT used by the vendor - I made up these part numbers on my own, simply for easier reference in the thread discussion. These part numbers include the type of disc case (BD, DVD) followed by the inside spine width of the protector, in millimeters (14mm-20mm).

BD14 - Fits a standard 12mm Blu-Ray case, with or without an o-card slipcover

Blu-Ray (Fits Slipcovers Too!) - 174mm x 137mm x 14mm (inside dimensions) - This protector is listed as "No slipcover" but actually fits standard 12mm Blu-ray cases with slipcovers almost perfectly, not quite snug - although if the shrinkwrap is applied over the outside of the slip, some may be a bit too tight of a fit.

Here is how a Studio Ghibli release with Disney slipcover fits into this protector:

BD16 - Fits a 14mm multidisc Blu-ray case with slipcover or side-load slipbox, up to AoA Monogatari Singles

Steelbook (Standard Size G2) - 174mm x 137mm x 16mm (inside dimensions) - These 16mm wide protectors fit the thicker 14mm 3-4 disc cases with slipcovers on them very well, or blurays with shrinkwrap over the outside of the slipcover. These protectors will hold the older-style Aniplex of America Monogatari singles with booklet and side-load slipbox perfectly, or other releases of similar size. The owner of RetroProtection informed me that this smallest-sized Steelbook protector is the exact same size and item as the PS3/PS4/Sealed Blu-rays with Slipcovers listed in the Blu-ray section.

Below are photos of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Part 1 with slipbox, and the AoA Hanamonogatari slipbox, showing their fit:

BD18 - Fits a wider side-load slipbox such as Aniplex of America Tsukimonogatari

Steelbook (lenticular Slipcover) - 174mm x 139mm x 18mm (inside dimensions) - These 18mm wide protectors hold the slightly wider, newer-style AoA Monogatari singles with booklet and side-load slipbox perfectly, such as Aniplex of America Tsukimonogatari, Garden of Sinners Recalled Out Summer, Expelled from Paradise, or other releases of a similar size.

Here is a photo of the fit for the AoA Tsukimonogatari slipbox:

BD20 - Fits fatter sideload slipboxes such as Aniplex of America Durarara x 2, Irregular at Magic High School Part 2

Steelbook G2 (Full Slipcover) - 179mm x 139mm x 20mm (inside dimensions) - These 20mm wide protectors work on the fatter AoA singles with slipboxes such as Durarara x 2, Irregular at Magic High School part 2, or other releases of similar size. Be aware this case is 5mm taller than the other G2 height cases, so there is a little extra dead space at the top of this protector.

Here is Durarara!! x 2 Part 2 in the 20mm protector; it will fit this protector even with the resealable plastic bag still on it:

Girls With Guns Avatar: Her name is Koko. She is Loco. I said "Oh No!" Koko Hekmatyar From Jormungand

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 01-09-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (04-10-2017), laz305 (09-04-2016), Toutankhamon13 (09-02-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

DVD15 - For a Standard 14mm DVD case without a slipcover

DVD (Standard Size) - 192mm x 137mm x 15mm (inside dimensions) - These 15mm wide protectors work well with a standard 14mm DVD case without a slipcover.

Shown below is the Read or Die OVA DVD in the 14mm DVD protector.

DVD18 - For a Standard 14mm DVD case with a slipcover or side load slipbox

DVD + Slipcover Protectors - 195mm x 139mm x 18mm (inside dimensions) - These 18mm wide protectors are a good fit for a single DVD case with slipcover or in a side-load slipbox.

Here is my Flag Fly High OVA with side-load slipbox and how it fits into the 18mm DVD protector:

This is a photo of the 6 different sizes (Two of the BD16 shown) of Blu-ray and DVD box protectors I have received from RetoProtection, stacked together, so you can see the difference in the relative size of each one, and the fit of the anime release inside:

And finally, here is a comparison shot I took of my US Studio Ghibli Collection lined up on the shelf, now stored in plastic box protectors, as compared to my Japanese Ghibli silhouette singles collection, which are still stored in plastic bags. Notice on the JP releases all the triangular bag corners sticking out on the top and bottom of each bag, and the bag seam running down the middle of the spine - and then compare that to the nice clean look of the box protectors over the US Ghibli releases and a few more next to them - you can barely even notice the box protectors are there when they are on the shelf.

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 01-09-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Thanks given by:
jhanig (08-08-2016), K i r a (08-28-2016), laz305 (09-04-2016), Oniros (08-07-2016), Toutankhamon13 (09-02-2016), vivablu (08-08-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Steelbook Central Protector sizes. This data has been provided by Blu Ray Addict. (I'll pretty-up the post a little when I get the chance, just getting the data out there for everyone right now):

Fully-enclosed models:

SCF1 = 172 x 136 x 16
SCF2 = 174 x 139 x 22
SCF3 = 172 x 139 x 18

One open side, side-load models:

SC2 = 169 x 135 x 14
SC3 = 171 x 134 x 15
SC4 = 189 x 135 x 14

SCF3 (Fully Enclosed, Have used with Aniplex Saekano sets. Does not fit without cutting off the top flaps which now makes this a top loading case)

SCF2 (Fully Enclosed, Have used with Girl Who Leapt Through Time Korean Full Slip Lenti Edition & Ghost in The Shell New Movie Limited Edition JP Import, no modification needed)

SCF1 (Fully Enclosed, Have used with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Individual Part Sets. Will pretty much fit all normal Blu Ray releases with slips that use between a 4-6 disc case. Ex: Psycho-Pass 2, Date A Live II, Yona of the Dawn)

(Also used with Aniplex Aldnoah Zero Sets, but does not fit without cutting off the top flaps which now makes this a top loading case)

SC3 (Not Enclosed, Side Loading, Best used with all normal Blu Ray releases with slips that use between a 4-6 disc case. Ex: Psycho-Pass 2, Date A Live II, Yona of the Dawn)

SC2 (Not Enclosed, Side Loading, Best used with all normal Blu Ray releases with slips that use between a 1-3 disc case. Ex: Pyscho-Pass Movie, Ghost in the Shell 25th Anniversary Edition, Fairy Tail Movie, Fullmetal Alchemist Movies)

SC4 (Not Enclosed, Side Loading, Best used with all normal DVD releases with slips. Ex: All the individual Fairy Tail BD/DVD Sets)

Below is a YouTube review of a few of the varieties of steelbook protectors that Steelbook Central offers - the third one shown in the video, the SCF1, is basically the same design and material of the ones available at RetroProtection - as the reviewer states, it's his favorite style, fully-enclosed on all six sides for total protection - the fully-enclosed design is my favorite style as well.

Here's a look at one of the RetroProtection box protectors - as shipped flat, and after bending at the creases to form it into a box:

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 08-09-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Reserved for additional information. Will delete if not needed.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014

This is a very informative thread. Good idea in making it I know I will be ordering some of these various protectors now so thank you.
LG OLED65C7P - LG SJ9+H7x2 (Dolby Atmos) - Oppo UDP 203
Samsung UN55JS7000 - Samsung HW J550 - Samsung UBD K8500

Digital Codes For Sale
Thanks given by:
Girls With Guns (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2015
Minneapolis

All I want are some simple soft plastic sleeves for my G2 steelbooks. Maybe some more soft bag pouches for BDs singles with slipcovers. No need for rigid cases, or to spend that much. Any recommendations?
Old 08-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

These are a fairly flexible, bendable PET/PETE plastic, the same material used in plastic spring water and soda bottles (Recycle Triangle Symbol "1" )... They're not a hard rigid plastic like CD jewel cases. Box protectors ship flat, and you then bend them into shape along the pre-formed creases. See the video I posted above, the box protectors are of the same material seen in this Steelbook Central review. I am not aware of any type of protective sleeves designed for Blu-ray and DVD that would be available other than the soft 1-2 mil OPP/Poly resealable bags, and these 12 mil steelbook/box protectors.

Since this thread is specifically for the discussion of P.E.T. box protectors, plastic bags are outside the scope of this thread. There is already a plastic/poly bag thread here in the anime forum, so you could possibly find an answer or ask questions regarding something similar to those over in that thread...

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=238603

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 08-11-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

Looks pretty cool. Might pick up some of these for older AoA sets and get more when I find more room to display things ._.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #10

Jun 2012

Tag
Charles Carmichael always comes quickly.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:38 PM   #11

May 2016

Luckily, Aniplex now uses poly bags for their newer releases. I would love to get some protective gear for Kil la Kill LE, Nisemonogatari, and Blue Exorcist.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #12

Dec 2009

I just put it on the shelves. I'm not that rough with my stuff to where it will damage it.
My collection click HT Gallery to view them.
My WTB's HERE
Served in the Military and like blu's come talk about it HERE

*Alert!!!* Best Buy Will Be Changing And Shrinking Their Media Section Soon!!!

Click HERE for more details.

Site FAQ

RIP ironsmile35
Old 08-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #13
Special Member

Apr 2011
Valley of the Sun

Great thread GwG! I'm happy someone started one for us Anime collectors. A lot of useful information and great pics for examples! I've pretty much been using the Steelbook Central ones, since I also collect steelbook packages, etc. and I find most of the steelbook ones will work for many of the anime slipboxes or covers.

What I have trouble with is the Aniplex releases such as Your Lie in April or the Puella Magi Madoka Magica movie sets, since I don't like keeping the plastic sleeves on. Having these in the shells look much better on the shelf than the plastic sleeves, so if anyone knows of a place to get bigger shells to protect such sets...please let me know.
Thanks given by:
Girls With Guns (08-08-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleee View Post
Luckily, Aniplex now uses poly bags for their newer releases. I would love to get some protective gear for Kil la Kill LE, Nisemonogatari, and Blue Exorcist.
Well, I had been buying resealable bags to protect my anime, but I just don't like the looks of those on my Blu-rays, and the adhesive strip can be a pain to work with when putting the anime back into the bag. Plus, resealable bags are sized for bare Blu-ray, DVD, and steelbook cases, they aren't sized for releases with slipcovers or slipboxes at all - I had to buy oversized bags and use a heated bag-sealer to resize the bags for a better fit - what a pain. These box protectors are so much nicer to use, look way cleaner and neater, and there's no resizing, folding, or taping of bags or sticky adhesive strips to worry about. I actually took off the bags from my AoA and JP singles that had them, and tossed them, and then put the singles into these crystal clear box protectors instead. I left the bag on for the photo of the Durarara!! x 2 release specifically to illustrate that the plastic bags do fit inside the protectors, but it really doesn't lend as nice an appearance as it does without the bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Ray_Addict View Post
Great thread GwG! I'm happy someone started one for us Anime collectors. A lot of useful information and great pics for examples! I've pretty much been using the Steelbook Central ones, since I also collect steelbook packages, etc. and I find most of the steelbook ones will work for many of the anime slipboxes or covers.

What I have trouble with is the Aniplex releases such as Your Lie in April or the Puella Magi Madoka Magica movie sets, since I don't like keeping the plastic sleeves on. Having these in the shells look much better on the shelf than the plastic sleeves, so if anyone knows of a place to get bigger shells to protect such sets...please let me know.
I'm going to be discussing some additional sizes of box protectors for Funimation LE boxes and AoA chipboard LEs with the owner of RetroProtection as well; some of his existing box sizes may fit, or, perhaps if there's enough of a demand for box protectors here, he might be able to custom-order some... although, it looks like there would have to be about 3 different sizes made for LE chipbox sets from Funi and Aniplex - 179mm x 139mm, in probably 32mm, 38mm, and 44mm widths.

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 09-02-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Thanks given by:
Blu_Ray_Addict (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

These are nice. I would probably cut off the bottom flaps though, so I could still take the amaray case in/out of the case for viewing.

OT: Since when is there a FLAG OVA?
Sony BDP-S580 | Samsung T240HD

Girls With Guns: "I really dig the chick with the knife - waifu material for sure!"
Old 08-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
I just put it on the shelves. I'm not that rough with my stuff to where it will damage it.
Same here.
Thanks given by:
neoz (08-07-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 12:26 AM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post
These are nice. I would probably cut off the bottom flaps though, so I could still take the amaray case in/out of the case for viewing.

OT: Since when is there a FLAG OVA?
Or you can just open either flap and pull it out like normal people would...

Steelbook Central has slipcase style protectors that are open on the side, but I prefer my stuff not to fall out on the floor when I'm handling it...

The Flag OVA was never released in the US, that copy I have is one of those Malaysian "bootlegs" - but that is the only way to get it with English subtitles. it's actually a very good quality release; the slipcase is quite thick, and it's also embossed and has metallic lettering - and the video quality of the disc is solid. I'm happy I got that one, as I love the Flag series. It's mainly just a condensed version of the series, though.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:10 AM   #18

May 2016

Alright, I decided and went with a 10 pack of 174mm x 137mm x 16mm steelbook. That will cover all of the monogatari (excluding Tsukimonogatari and Nekoblack) and Nisekoi. And I purchased 10pc of 174mm x 139mm x 18mm for Tsuki and Neko - Including Nisekoi 2 (I imagine these sets are the same size as Tsuki and Neko?). Thanks for the informative post .
Thanks given by:
Old 08-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #19

Dec 2011

Same here bought a 10 pack for my Fullmetal sets..

Thanks GWG
Thanks given by:
Old 08-08-2016, 01:55 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Was there a re-release for Neko Black in the wider slipbox? The one I have is the same size as all the other singles except Tsuki... Like all the others, I got it when it first released, so it's the original size and fits in a 16mm protector. I guess maybe AoA is using a different manufacturer for the slipboxes now, and all the releases are going to be shipping in the wider boxes from now on?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime