Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Control (PS4)
$50.94

Judgment (PS4)
$39.99

The Legend of Heroes: The Trails of Cold Steel (PS4)
$39.97

Battlefield V (PS4)
$24.99

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (PS4)
$66.26

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$49.94

Assassin's Creed III (PS4)
$19.99

Monster Hunter World: Iceborn (PS4)
$49.94

Our World Is Ended (PS4)
$43.22
12 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Final Season (PS4)
$19.99

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4)
$29.99

Wreckfest (PS4)
$33.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 08-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007
Default Game Downloads Surpass Discs for First Time

I know more people are getting 1Gbps and 10Gbps Internet download services, however the hard drive on the XBOX and Playstation is only so big. If a programmer wants to create a super large game that use a 100GB Blu-ray disc on the X-BOX One and a 50GB Blu-ray disc on the Playstation 4, then after a while there is only so much space on the hard drive.

The last I read is that all physical Playstation 2, 3, and 4 games are on BD-ROM discs including the latest XBOX One games. Yes one can make a download version of any game but the hard drives can only hold so much space unless people start making Playstation and XBOX 20TB and larger external hard drive servers.

"In its recent earnings report, Sony reported that for the first time digital downloads of games surpassed sales of physical discs. At the same time, the company reported brisk sales of the PS4, the latest version of the PlayStation console it introduced almost 25 years ago."

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...tZgpXAJerx6.99
Old 08-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Percentages are great and all but what I want to know is what were the actual sales numbers this gen compared to last gen for physical. You know this will be fodder for physical is dying articles. Gaming sales are getting bigger all the time so percentage doesn't really tell an accurate story whether or not physical truly is on it's way out.

i.e. last gen you had 100 million install base with (arbitrary numbers) a 70/30 split, physical leading amounting to 500 million physical games sold. As opposed to a 100 million install base this gen with the split the other way but you still have 500 million physical games sold and a ton more digital. Physical didn't fall off a cliff, the overall percentage is just lower. The industry sales grow year over year. Percentage is only part of the story.

Last edited by dyne; 08-12-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #3
Power Member

Aug 2017
United States

Makes me sad
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #4
Expert Member

Apr 2017

It doesn't matter whether physical or digital is more popular. As long as discs remain profitable consoles will continue to support discs and publishers will continue to make discs. I'm not worried.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:16 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

I think the article could potentially be misleading because there's a lot of cheap digital only titles people can buy these days and that's why i'd love to know the split of which digital titles outsold physical. For instance, are the top AAA titles selling more digitally or on physical.

Right now that article title makes it seem like digital is overall better than physical even for AAA
Old 08-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

On the whole, I've moved to digital. I didn't think I would, but I don't buy many games per year and so I rarely trade anything in, like I once used to. I also wait for sales or offers. I just bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider, deluxe edition for under 20.00 thanks to a 25% discount code Sony sent me, on top of the game already being on sale. VR games tend to be digital only too, so there's that as well.

It's just convenient being able to move between games. Only games though, I've no interest in digital film downloads.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
I know more people are getting 1Gbps and 10Gbps Internet download services, however the hard drive on the XBOX and Playstation is only so big. If a programmer wants to create a super large game that use a 100GB Blu-ray disc on the X-BOX One and a 50GB Blu-ray disc on the Playstation 4, then after a while there is only so much space on the hard drive.

The last I read is that all physical Playstation 2, 3, and 4 games are on BD-ROM discs including the latest XBOX One games. Yes one can make a download version of any game but the hard drives can only hold so much space unless people start making Playstation and XBOX 20TB and larger external hard drive servers.

Busy, I’ll have to clarify some of this. lol

PS3, PS4 & Xbox One use Blu-ray.
Games with good optimization next gen could only require 80GB
Sure we’ll get 5TB’s of space in future but no need for Servers.

Regarding physical, digital gaming has already taken over if you exclude specific platforms.

Last edited by Derb; 08-13-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Southampton, England
Send a message via MSN to The Apocalypse

I will stick with physical copies for as long as possible, it just doesn't do it for me to go digital.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4