Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Anna 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Fast & Furious: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
10 hrs ago
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

The Curse of la Llorona (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$62.99

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
18 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 08-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #1

Dec 2017
Michigan
USA Looking for a Region Free Blu-ray Player

Today was the day that I realized that it is time for me to start considering a new Blu-ray player. Let me give some context as to functionality.

My current player is a Samsung E5900 that I got for Christmas in 2011. It's a Blu-ray 3D player but I've never had a 3DTV and it'd certainly wouldn't be a good idea to start investing in one now. Since there's not much information on this site, I'll also add a link to the manual. There are two TVs that the player alternates between. The main TV, which I got around the same time, is also a Samsung. I'm not sure how to find the TV on this site but I found the manual here. Same with the other TV, an LG. Since I don't know where the exact place to see the specs are, I'll just post the TV's page. There are no other speakers in play.

Now, I used the USB port on the front of the Blu-ray player here and there until around the start of this year when my new setup put my laptop right next to the Samsung TV, so I almost always just plug the HDMI cable into the laptop instead. But I confirmed today that any time I try to play a video off my flashdrive, the whole player crashes and booting it up afterward takes a long while. Since it's playing fine now, I'm just going to stop messing with it for now. This has prompted me to start looking into a new player. I knew it had to either have 4K compatibility or be region free (in both Blu-ray and DVD) and I'm going with region free since I think a decent player would be around $30 less than one with 4K compatibility (I assume a good player with both is far outside my budget, but if there is one it would be a major plus) and I'd actually be able to use the region free capabilities.

My budget is around $150. Yes I'd prefer cheaper but cheaper =/= better. Also, I can go higher to like $170 but not $200. I'd prefer $150.

When I get this new Region Free player, I'll probably put my current player in the room with the LG TV just for convenience sake, but when that player does inevitably die, this new player will have to share the same function of moving from one room to the next once in a while, meaning that I would like a Blu-ray player that is not heavy and is easy to disconnect/reconnect at a moment's notice. So something around the same size (14.2 x 1.5 x 7.7 inches or 36.1 x 3.8 x 19.6 cm) is preferable. It can of course be bigger, but I don't want a machine that would be a major pain to move a lot.

I'm not a "videophile" or "audiophile" in any sense. I'm not someone who needs everything to be pixel perfect. I can honestly watch 360p video no problem. I of course acknowledge that the quality is worse than standard definition but I don't think to myself "okay I need to get better quality footage" unless it's below 360p.
I only recently starting looking into audio aspects, difference between channels, etc. Because I don't have any sort of home theater setup, prior to a couple weeks ago I couldn't tell you the difference between 2.0 and 5.1 audio besides "it's louder", which I now know isn't always the case. So keep both of these points in mind in that I don't need the absolute best quality, but I of course still want a player of good quality.

In regards to multimedia features past playing discs, I am very indifferent to that sort of thing. A USB port to play videos from my flashdrive is something I like to do but as I already stated I haven't been using it much now that I can just plug my laptop into the TV. And as for Internet connectivity, everything my current Blu-ray player offered I was able to do on any other device, and the same will probably apply to this player. So these features are nice, but they aren't deal-breakers for me. The player can be completely offline for all I care. (obviously a hyperbole in case of firmware updates, but you get what I mean)

I put the US icon for this thread since this customer is American, and I would prefer a player from my region, but if an international player is able to do everything I want and is able to play on my TVs, then I'd certainly be open to getting it.

I'm in no rush to get this new player and I am a patient man. I'm posting this here because I don't want to get scammed with a player that advertises Region Free compatibility and ends up not being the case (or is Region Free for Blu-ray discs but not DVDs).
Old 08-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

If you don't need 3D and just a basic reliable player it's hard to go wrong with the Sony 1700. It's hardware modified and firmware stable so you cna update through normal Sony channels without a problem

It's cheap, it's simple, it's been reliable, good Video and Audio performance and it's available through 220Electronics and Bombay plus their Ebay arms. Both companies have proven to be reliable over the years. Bombay offers a 10% discount on their website for 1st order

A Region Free refurb 1700 can be bought for around $100. New units for about $40 more. Be careful ordering that you choose the All Region version instead of items that are Region Free for DVD, but Region A (B, C optional) only for BD (ie haven't been modded yet). The website and Ebay can be a bit confusing at times.

The 3700 is $15 more and adds Wi-Fi is that's a requirement

I'm just not really a fan of LG and Samsung players.

The Panasonic DMP-BDT270 might be a bit better player, but is $200 and has a lot of things it sounds like you don't need.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2007
Tucson, Az USA

I 2nd the recommendation on the Sony BDP S1700. I’ve owned one for over 2 years now and for the price,($150) it’s been worth every penny.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders