Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Black Friday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Bravely Default II (Switch)
$26.99

Hades (Switch)
$19.99

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)
$35.00

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
$35.00

DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power (Switch)
$44.99

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (Switch)
$19.99

Assassin's Creed: The Rebel Collection (Switch)
$14.99

Five Nights at Freddy's: Core Collection (Switch)
$19.99

LEGO DC Super-Villains (Switch)
$15.00

Disgaea 6 (Switch)
$39.99

Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (Switch)
$29.99

PGA Tour 2K21 (Switch)
$14.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 10-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #81
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2014

While some of the EMMI sections can be annoying so far I don’t find the game too hard (that may change later lol). I feel the difficulty has been just right so far & I usually suck at hard games (I’m looking at you Souls games). As for if it’s worth $60, I think it depends on if you are a Metroid fan or fans of Metroidvania games in general. For me, it’s absolutely worth $60.

Last edited by darkness2918; 10-16-2021 at 11:11 PM.
Thanks given by:
mep (10-18-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 08:49 PM   #82
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

To me, the artistry of Metroid is that you must use the language of the game - how enemies are acting in their environment, what the map layout is telling you, how the terrain variations stand out - to read how to move forward. There's no artistry in a beep/arrow just saying "go here next".

So, for example, in Super Metroid you have to notice the three crawling enemies moving from the one hole in the wall to understand that's the path to go next, and lo and behold you get the ice beam. Then you have to learn the ice beam's abilities via trial and error, but the way the game does this is by having those same three enemies start in the room right outside the ice beam acquirement room. 99% of players are going to immediately shoot those enemies and by doing so learn how the ice beam freezes them first before damaging them, making the frozen enemies become temp platforms. So then, the next room the player now knows to freeze the jumping enemies to create a platform to get through the narrow pathway. None of this is explained in text or by map pointers, but by the visuals and gameplay.
Thanks given by:
mep (10-18-2021), Talal86 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 07:03 PM   #83
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Third EMMI destroyed and these sections are not fun at all. I won't say they're "hard" per se, I simply don't get on with insta kill enemies and trial and error gameplay. Also tired of the actual mechanic to kill them and how little time you have to do so and the precision required to do so. I feel like I'm struggling with the Pro controller more than things being actually difficult.

Other than those sections I've been enjoying it otherwise.
Thanks given by:
Old 10-18-2021, 09:21 PM   #84
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-

I finished the game yesterday, took me 12:33 to complete with all items collected.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, I was worried about the difficulty I heard about going in but found that it struck the perfect balance of difficult but fair in that I never got frustrated and rage quit or anything and always recognized it was user error when I died. But that balance made it so much more rewarding when I did nail the pattern and complete the challenge. I also enjoyed it not being a point to point game holding me by the hand with waypoints and simply let me figure out where to go next with the right amount of obscureness and also my own memory of seeing things that were opened by the item I just got in another area when I was roaming around. Would I want every single game to be like that? No, but this was definitely refreshing. This was my first Metroid game and I look forward to Nintendo hopefully continuing the series with more regularity now after what will undoubtedly be a strong sales showing based on the initial reports.

Picking a Game of the Year for me will be tough this year as I have really enjoyed everything that Iíve played so far between my Switch and PS5
Thanks given by:
Old 10-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #85
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Five EMMI down. Still don't care for their artificial challenge. Also hate clicking the thumbstick to cloak. Never cared for functions being on click sticks. Also just like with M:SR I feel like I'm always fumbling with the controls. There's certainly an inelegance to it all.
Thanks given by:
RevolverOcelScott (10-24-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:28 PM   #86
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
If Tropical Freeze was frustrating to you, Dread will be a tough sell. Itís way harder than that. I completed Tropical Freeze 100% and only the Bonus Stages were hard in the way Dread is. But so far nothing is impossible in Dread. But you really must take attention to the patterns of your enemies and play very thoughtful and as precise as possible. Itís a bit unfortunate, because the gameplay is so much fun and the game is really amazing, but itís strange, that Nintendo wouldnít offer other playing options. I mean, they added Funky Kong to Tropical Freeze and guidance modes for way more accessible games like Super Mario Odyssey, Yoshis Crafted World or others. Kind of a strange move. I donít see, why other playing options wouldnít always be preferable. Dread would make me personal not less fun, if it wasnít that difficult as it is. And I havenít finished it yet and am not completely sure, if I can finish the game. There were several moments already, were I was kind of on the fence, if I could continue. Strangely not so much because of the boss fights; so far these are kind of easy to understand, you just have to analyze the different phases and play decently. But there are other tasks, were you donít have those clear indications. Those were the hardest part so far for me. And I had two occasions, where I just didnít get were to continue and had to watch a Letís Play to help out. God bless YouTube for that. In the 90s I sure would have been lost and not able to complete such a game on my own, sadly.
Does it start a lot easier and then get harder? First world of DKTF is fun for me, worth owning for that.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:33 PM   #87
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012
Kentucky

Just made it past the second boss last night. Fun game. I'm really digging the atmosphere.
Thanks given by:
mep (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 10:35 PM   #88

Jan 2017
Germany

Beat Dread finally this evening; with 14:02:46 not really SpeedRunning Material, but at least I got 76% of the items. Really an amazing Game! To me I would rank it with Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey as one of the top three Switch Games so far. But it’s really, really hard. The final segment of the game took me three days and many, many tries. It’s all possible, but you really have to perform and get good to beat the game. Not a cake walk at all…
Old 10-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #89

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
Does it start a lot easier and then get harder? First world of DKTF is fun for me, worth owning for that.
Do you mean DK or Metroid? I’d say both get harder from stage to stage; but for me two main things make DK easier than Dread was:

1. The bosses have the same patterns each of their phases. So you really can just learn those and you’re fine. Dread Bosses have certain attacks and counters each phase, but not in the same order. So you have to learn their attacks, how to counter them and realize what attack the boss actually is performing. To me that’s way harder to do as in DK.

2. Dread has quite hard challenges which are part of the main game; you cannot skip those and can only increase your health and armor to a certain level. In DK most of the really hard challenges are more or less optional. So you could skip those (like the harder K Levels or collecting the Kong Puzzle Pieces) and still beat the main game. That’s not possible in Dread.

And with Funky Kong you now also have kind of an easy mode, if you just want to experience the game and not going for a challenge. Nothing like that in Dread so far.

Last edited by mep; 10-23-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #90
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
1. The bosses have the same patterns each of their phases. So you really can just learn those and youíre fine. Dread Bosses have certain attacks and counters each phase, but not in the same order. So you have to learn their attacks, how to counter them and realize what attack the boss actually is performing. To me thatís way harder to do as in DK.
This is the issue I'm having with the final boss. I know how to dodge/counter everything but visually seeing the tells and reacting in time is a challenge so far. Also for some reason the gravity/spin jump just seems to randomly decide to work whenever it wants to on 2 different controllers I have. Consistently get to phase 3 and my inputs deteriorate.
Thanks given by:
mep (10-23-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 12:46 AM   #91
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

And finished. 9 hours and 46 minutes with 60% items. Overall I really liked it. Not game of the year material but I honestly haven't played much this year to even speculate on that. The couple gripes:

The controls. I hate holding multiple buttons to do things. When there's other buttons not being used you should not have modifier buttons.

The EMMI. Good idea but they were all so similar. Run away for three rooms, kill the brain, find the one spot in those three rooms to kill EMMI. Rinse and repeat.

The endgame seemed like it dumped a lot of abilities on you all of the sudden. That could have been paced better.

And that's about it. Having a change of pace with Cruis'n Blast and it's wonderfully absurd.
Thanks given by:
RevolverOcelScott (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 05:42 AM   #92
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012
Kentucky

Well I just went through my first real struggle in the game. I got turned around after picking up an item and it took me probably two hours to just reorient myself and get through it. I did have to have a bit of help but that's okay. Back on track now.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:10 PM   #93

May 2009

Finished the game with 13 and a half hours and I've got to say, this was one tough shell to crack.

Biggest detractor? The constant deaths to either the EMMIs or the Choso robots. I get that the game wants you to be super quick, but for a player like me who was never good at quick responses, this became grating. The moment I got to the golden spear Chozo warrior near the end, I simply couldn't figure out how to beat him so I went back and tried to gather all the health tank parts and weapons that I could to allow me more time to fight him. It eventually worked and I was able to push towards the end which featured a doable final boss fight.

So after finishing this game and seeing that I unlocked the 'hard mode', I came to a sad realization. Unlike all the previous Metroid games I completed, I will likely never replay Dread again. I've played Super Metroid countless times, Metroid Fusion a good dozen times (At least once for each system it was released on) along with the Prime games. I don't want to go back to game that's just going to remind me that I suck at quick thinking games. If it wasn't for the very generous check point system that puts you right outside of the room where you died in, I likely would have never finished the game.

I really hope this isn't the direction that future Metroid games will go moving forward.
Thanks given by:
Petey Parker (10-25-2021), RevolverOcelScott (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 07:35 PM   #94
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Texas

I bought it for my husband at Walmart for $49. Walmart seems to have a lot of new games for $10 cheaper than other places. My husband said he loves Metroid Dread. He told me he read where some people were *****ing about it but he likes it.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #95
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

I’m stuck on the twin robot bosses right now after getting the storm missles and since it’s at a part of the game where there is no way to avoid the area and just try and get more items/energy tanks, I’m for all intents and purposes unable to continue playing the game. I decided to take a break and play Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town. The frustration was getting to me and I needed something more relaxing.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:43 PM   #96

Sep 2017
Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
Iím stuck on the twin robot bosses right now after getting the storm missles and since itís at a part of the game where there is no way to avoid the area and just try and get more items/energy tanks, Iím for all intents and purposes unable to continue playing the game. I decided to take a break and play Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town. The frustration was getting to me and I needed something more relaxing.
That area took me so many tries to get through. What helped me was focusing on only one robot to start out so that so get your health/missile recharge and have less to deal with once only one is left.

Get into a pattern of charging up your beam as you jump around with it following you so that when you and the robot are on equal ground, you can blast them and then immediately repeat the process.
Thanks given by:
Petey Parker (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 12:07 AM   #97
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Iím stuck on the twin robot bosses right now after getting the storm missles and since itís at a part of the game where there is no way to avoid the area and just try and get more items/energy tanks, Iím for all intents and purposes unable to continue playing the game. I decided to take a break and play Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town. The frustration was getting to me and I needed something more relaxing.
I kept the pressure on one. Constant swarm missiles and always jumping and air dashing whenever they'd attack.
Thanks given by:
Old 10-28-2021, 02:21 AM   #98
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012
Kentucky

I was able to isolate one at a time while circling the ledges and just kept firing my missiles. Utilize the flash shift as much as possible.
Thanks given by:
Old 10-28-2021, 05:40 AM   #99
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2014

Quote:
Flash shift as much as possible & try to only storm missile them. Took me a couple of tries but thats how I took them down.
Thanks given by:
Old 10-29-2021, 12:00 AM   #100
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

Quote:
Do you mean DK or Metroid? Iíd say both get harder from stage to stage; but for me two main things make DK easier than Dread was:

1. The bosses have the same patterns each of their phases. So you really can just learn those and youíre fine. Dread Bosses have certain attacks and counters each phase, but not in the same order. So you have to learn their attacks, how to counter them and realize what attack the boss actually is performing. To me thatís way harder to do as in DK.

2. Dread has quite hard challenges which are part of the main game; you cannot skip those and can only increase your health and armor to a certain level. In DK most of the really hard challenges are more or less optional. So you could skip those (like the harder K Levels or collecting the Kong Puzzle Pieces) and still beat the main game. Thatís not possible in Dread.

And with Funky Kong you now also have kind of an easy mode, if you just want to experience the game and not going for a challenge. Nothing like that in Dread so far.
I meant Dread. But anyway that easy mode is Switch only right? I have it on the Wii U.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch