Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Revenge (Blu-ray)
$6.99
22 hrs ago
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

The X-Files: The Complete Season 11 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Heat (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Fargo: Year Two (Blu-ray)
$6.99

A Cure for Wellness (Blu-ray)
$3.99
21 hrs ago
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Spy Who Dumped Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Blu-ray)
$3.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 03-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #1

Nov 2009
Buffalo, NY
Default Upgrade the center speaker on a blah SS system?

I have a Samsung HT-X40 that I used for my surround sound. It sounds okay, but it's very basic. Is it worth upgrading the center channel to a Klipsch Synergy C-1. Is this even worth it?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

What's the rest of your system like? Without knowing, I would recommend putting some thought into your front soundstage (left, center, right) as a whole before pulling the trigger on anything.

Ideally, you want your speakers to be all timbre matched, meaning they're voice matched for better immersion and sound panning. At the very least, you want to make sure your front sound stage is timbre matched, while ensuring your surround speakers are also timbre matched.

I wouldn't recommend buying a center channel by itself without having a gameplan in mind. I would also suggest you audition everything first. Blind buying speakers without hearing them, and other possible options, is never recommended.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #3

Nov 2009
Buffalo, NY

It's just an "in a box" POS.

I'm not interested in putting much money into it because room limitations preclude ever achieving optimal sound. I'm really only interested in making the dialogue sound better.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6AM View Post
It's just an "in a box" POS.

I'm not interested in putting much money into it because room limitations preclude ever achieving optimal sound. I'm really only interested in making the dialogue sound better.
What about your room is limiting your potential for better sound?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
I have a Samsung HT-X40 that I used for my surround sound. It sounds okay, but it's very basic. Is it worth upgrading the center channel to a Klipsch Synergy C-1. Is this even worth it?
It's difficult to upgrade these boxed systems. I just had a look at the specs for it and it's driving 3 Ohm speakers. You're going to end up with a mis-matched, screwy sounding front stage if you go mixing a different center speaker in there. Your best bet would be to replace all three front speakers at the very minimum. Ideally you would replace the receiver and front three speakers. The problem that creates is that it would be risky to try to run your remaining 3 Ohm speakers as surrounds. These systems don't lend themselves to being upgraded piece by piece. You pretty much have to junk the whole thing and start all over. The only boxed systems I know of that are easily upgraded are from Onkyo, and the reason is because they're build around a real AV receiver with "normal" specs.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #6

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The problem that creates is that it would be risky to try to run your remaining 3 Ohm speakers as surrounds.
You could utilize the old (front + rear) in series to create a 6 ohm load for the surround channels. Any receiver could handle that.

Other than that just sell the whole box kit after you upgrade, the parts aren't worth anything separately.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #7

Nov 2009
Buffalo, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlafrenz View Post
What about your room is limiting your potential for better sound?
Due to a door, the placement of the left and right front speakers can not be separated far enough from the tv. The room has a high, angled ceiling. Seating is on the sides rather than in the center due to another door and size of the room.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #8

Nov 2009
Buffalo, NY

I'm looking at just upgrading the whole thing to an Onkyo HT-S3200. Seems pretty solid.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
I'm looking at just upgrading the whole thing to an Onkyo HT-S3200. Seems pretty solid.
To get lossless audio I believe you need to go with the 6200 or higher.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=i
Old 03-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #10

Nov 2009
Buffalo, NY

I'll look into that. Thanks.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers