Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Now: Seraph of the End: Vampire Rei… $24.00 (18% claimed)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Critters Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.47
16 hrs ago
Olaf's Frozen Adventure (Blu-ray)
$9.96
13 hrs ago
Madagascar: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$11.67
1 hr ago
Justice League 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
13 hrs ago
Mad Max: High Octane Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.99

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Christopher Robin (Blu-ray)
$17.96
8 hrs ago
Revenge (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Ant-Man and the Wasp (Blu-ray)
$17.96
11 hrs ago
Heat (Blu-ray)
$3.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 11-18-2011, 03:16 AM   #21
Power Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
You can buy speakers in a bundle everything from the same brand or the most important the 3 front speakers should be from the same brand and series for timbre match R/L/Cbut the surrounds you can ad whatever you like in brand and in sound .
Really? This was the point I disagreed with in your otherwise solid post. It was also what lead to my response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy73 View Post
I agree with everyone here except on one point, I feel when you buy speakers you should stay within the same brand all around. That's FL/C/FR and all surrounds. The reason being is different companies speakers have different acoustics. You may find a happy marriage mixing different brands but it would be a rarity. Now, I will say the impact on performance may not be as apparent in the surrounds as it would if you mix and matched the front channels speakers. However, unless you're getting a crazy deal by buying a different brand which may not have the same acoustics or aesthetics, you should just stay with the same brand all around.
I stand by this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
BTW with the comments of Troy73 i totally disagree with them , but hey everyone has different tastes right .
I assume with this response you are speaking to that which I said in regards to not going outside the same brands.

Look, in these days we all try to save money when we can so I can understand people who may want to get $50 rear channels instead of the $100 same brand speakers. However, I would not recommend it. Putting Klipsch side surrounds with Sony rear surrounds is bad advice. I feel that way because, when you mix and match speakers it can either be an enhancement, which is rare, or a detriment, which is more likely to be the case. Yet your statements make it sound like you can mix and match any speakers for the surround channels and it won't matter. That is poor advice, sorry to say.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:49 AM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy73 View Post
Really? This was the point I disagreed with in your otherwise solid post. It was also what lead to my response:

I stand by this.

I assume with this response you are speaking to that which I said in regards to not going outside the same brands.

Look, in these days we all try to save money when we can so I can understand people who may want to get $50 rear channels instead of the $100 same brand speakers. However, I would not recommend it. Putting Klipsch side surrounds with Sony rear surrounds is bad advice. I feel that way because, when you mix and match speakers it can either be an enhancement, which is rare, or a detriment, which is more likely to be the case. Yet your statements make it sound like you can mix and match any speakers for the surround channels and it won't matter. That is poor advice, sorry to say.
You can Match the surrounds or not . They don't necessarily have to be from the same brand or series this is the " rule " that you will follow or don't , for sure and like i explained before i prefer a pair of Axim Q8 as my surrounds rater than the Polk FXi 6 and the Axiom it is still cheaper and IMO sound better than the Polk .

After this facts do you still think joining the 2 factors price/quality that i would still chose the Polk to match my fronts and center , nope .

And i still stand by my first post to the OP
Quote:
to audition the speakers that you are looking for , this will be the most important for to listen speakers to you liking .
Old 11-18-2011, 05:21 AM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Let's have peace.

All speakers from all companies suck. They are grossly overpriced. DIY speakers can give you more value at a fraction of the cost.

I built these DIY speakers for less than $2,000. They can easily compete with speakers that cost 20 times more. I only need to decide what color I should choose for the middle section.

High Frequencies: Two Fountek Ribbon Tweeters.
Middle Frequencies: Two 8" Fostex Full-Range Drivers in Horn-Loaded Cabinets.
Low Frequencies: Two 15" Dayton Aluminum Drivers in Three Cubic Feet Sealed Cabinets.

The speakers are Phase and Time Coherent.

The two speakers in the middle are vintage Polk RTA 15TL speakers. They are currently retired. Back in 1990-1991, they cost $1,400.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #24
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
where do you live
I live in Juneau AK.There's no stores that sell speakers.Well just HTIB.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #25
Power Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DinAK View Post
Yeah, that makes the listening to different speaker brands a challenge. If you have time and money to order different brands to test in your home I would have recommended that in your case. However, in being realistic, not many of us can afford the time or money to do that. The good news is Big Daddy is our resident guru in these matters and He better than any of the rest of us can help you in deciding what you may need and want to suit your system and goals. Give him a PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #26
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
do you have a speaker preference in mind? Obviously you don't want a HTiB, so would bookshelf speakers on stands be an option or do you want floorstanding towers? I ask because getting bookshelfs can provide a better value, as you can buy in series of speakers that is higher then the same priced towers.

What is your budget?

Do you have a receiver already? Or do you need to buy one? Also, is the receiver included in your budget? Or do you have a seperate budget for a receiver? If so, what is the receiver budget?

How big is your room?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #27
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska

Quote:
do you have a speaker preference in mind? Obviously you don't want a HTiB, so would bookshelf speakers on stands be an option or do you want floorstanding towers? I ask because getting bookshelfs can provide a better value, as you can buy in series of speakers that is higher then the same priced towers.

What is your budget?

Do you have a receiver already? Or do you need to buy one? Also, is the receiver included in your budget? Or do you have a seperate budget for a receiver? If so, what is the receiver budget?

How big is your room?
I was thinking Polk.I've been looking at amazon and crutchfield.
I was also thinking floor standing for the L/R.
I was thinking onkyo for a reciever but have yet to decide on it.
I'm not sure what my budget will be yet.Building from scratch.Figure speakers and receiver are first.
I'm not looking to spend a lot of money but don't want to go cheap either.For example Polk has thousand dollar floor standing speakers and also has two hundred dollar floor standing.So somehwere in between those.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #28
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
I was thinking Polk.I've been looking at amazon and crutchfield.
I was also thinking floor standing for the L/R.
I was thinking onkyo for a reciever but have yet to decide on it.
I'm not sure what my budget will be yet.Building from scratch.Figure speakers and receiver are first.
I'm not looking to spend a lot of money but don't want to go cheap either.For example Polk has thousand dollar floor standing speakers and also has two hundred dollar floor standing.So somehwere in between those.
Id suggest that you look at these speakers, they are on sale half off and are fantastic speakers. Their performance would be like that of the polk RTiA7s that you may have seen on either of the websites you have mentioned, but right now you can get them for a great price.
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-CF-70-F...1919326&sr=8-5

You can get the Center on amazon too. Surrounds you can get either the CR-10s for wall mounting or the CB10s for a bookshelf or stand mount. For a subwoofer, look at this one that will match really well.
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-S-10-3-...1919528&sr=1-1

Since you are looking at Onkyo, check out this one here, a great value item that has very good performance.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

That would be an awesome setup, very good movie performance, and not bad with music either.

For a little lesser of the same thing, you could get the Onkyo 708 for $399 and the Energy CF-30s for $300. using the same sites I gave you above.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #29

Oct 2007
Alamogordo NM 88310

Quote:
Id suggest that you look at these speakers, they are on sale half off and are fantastic speakers. Their performance would be like that of the polk RTiA7s that you may have seen on either of the websites you have mentioned, but right now you can get them for a great price.
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-CF-70-F...1919326&sr=8-5

You can get the Center on amazon too. Surrounds you can get either the CR-10s for wall mounting or the CB10s for a bookshelf or stand mount. For a subwoofer, look at this one that will match really well.
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-S-10-3-...1919528&sr=1-1

Since you are looking at Onkyo, check out this one here, a great value item that has very good performance.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

That would be an awesome setup, very good movie performance, and not bad with music either.

For a little lesser of the same thing, you could get the Onkyo 708 for $399 and the Energy CF-30s for $300. using the same sites I gave you above.
Excellent recommendations Callas! That would be a great start to a damn fine sounding system for the price paid. I'm lookin at upgrading my JBL's sometime too but just not sure what to go with. I think I want something like you have put together.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers