Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Revenge (Blu-ray)
$6.99

The X-Files: The Complete Season 11 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.96
10 hrs ago
Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Heat (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Spy Who Dumped Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

A Cure for Wellness (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Blu-ray)
$3.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 10-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
L'assomption, Qc
Send a message via MSN to 4x12
Default Axiom or Monitor Audio

Hey Guys,

Need some help again... I recently sold my Energy Connoisseur front end (C5's and C-C1) and need something new.

As of this morning, I was dead set on getting the Montior Audio RS6 floor model at a discounted price (small blem on top) of $900 instead of $1200 and the matching center. But after looking into the Axiom Speakers... i'm back at square one. I love the fact that these are Canadian made, I strongly beleive in buying Canadian when possible... theres the free shipping, saving one tax is also a plus and the overall prices seem great.

But whats the product like ? I never heard the Axioms in action and theres no one near me where I can stop in and give something a play. So I don't have anything to compare againts the RS6's. I tested out the RS6's and loved the tone of them and they look incredible. I find the Axioms VERY sexy also...

Any help would be aprreciated...
Old 10-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #2

Oct 2009
couple hours from the moonshine capitol of the world

I don't know about the Axioms but I sure do like them RS-6s, especially when sufficient power is driving them. I know they are being replaced by the RX series and might become harder to get. Did you say $900 with the matching center? I would be all over that...especially if they were in dark walnut or that black oak.

I haven't heard the new RX series. I'm anxious to get down to our MA dealer and hear them for myself. From what I've read about them, they are a little crisper sounding than the RS-6. That was the only flaw I seemed to notice with the RS-6. Other than that, they are beautiful speakers that sound great. I wouldn't mind a pair sitting in my LR under the new 500M.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
L'assomption, Qc

Gamebred,

$900 was for the RS6's only. I think the center was approx $650. I'm guessing the price could worked off a little on the center. But at $900 for the 3 pieces I'd have them setup already And yeah, they are walnut.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

First off, after just finding and getting the Energy Center you had, what made you sell or get rid of the Energys?

The RS6's are fantastic speakers... in that price range I would tell you to listen to the Dali Concept 6's and 8's. When it came to music, the Dali's straight killed the RS6's. Movies, they were about the same. both very detailed and have low end extension like crazy, but the RS6's just could not match the Dali Concept 8's for detail, clarity or depth when it came to music. The way the piano rolled off, the dali's hit every note with precision, while the RS6's were sloppy and the notes muddles on one another. I believe that my C-300s do a better job with the piano replication then the RS6s, but I don't have the range of the RS6s, meaning I cannot go near as low and bass thumping as them, plus the RS6s have better movie detail. When I change the Energys out I am buying a set of Dali's. I was told they were $1300, but my dealer was willing to go to $950.

I have never heard axiom, so I don't know what to tell you about those.

Last edited by callas01; 10-22-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

First time I have heard the RS6s called sloppy. LOL

Having never heard the Axioms but owning the RS6s, I guess you know my answer. Head over to the MA thread, some great professional reviews there. Besides that, since you have heard them & know you like them....makes the blind buy on the Axioms a little tougher.

Last edited by JasonR; 10-22-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #6

Apr 2009
washington(state)

i own a pair of axiom qs8 surrounds. i have never been happier with a speaker. i realize your not looking for surrounds but, they really do make good products. they are very well built and out perform all my other speakers. i will without hesitation buy axiom speakers when the time comes to upgrade again.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
First time I have heard the RS6s called sloppy. LOL

Having never heard the Axioms but owning the RS6s, I guess you know my answer. Head over to the MA thread, some great professional reviews there. Besides that since you have heard them, you know you like them.

NO NO NO, dont get me wrong.... They are the second best speaker I have heard to date.. just behind the Dali Concepts and Ikons........ They just have trouble with fast paced piano replication.... Other then that I like them better then the B&W 684/683s, and Paradigms. Although I like both of them too.... If I was into getting forward sounding speakers the RS6's would be right there..... and my top choice... For movies and Rock/alternative they work very very well.

(when I saw you posted I was like, Doh , hes gonna kill me)
Old 10-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #8

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x12 View Post
Gamebred,

$900 was for the RS6's only. I think the center was approx $650. I'm guessing the price could worked off a little on the center. But at $900 for the 3 pieces I'd have them setup already And yeah, they are walnut.

Oh ok. haha, yeah, they'd be in my home too if i could get them at that price. I kept going back and forth between them and the Klipsch RF-62. I can't seem to make up my mind either. I like the clarity of the Klipsch but am starting to think they may be too bright for my eniroment. I got to audition them in a warm eniroment (carpeted floors with acoustical treated walls). My conclusion was if you could mate the RF-62s with the RS6s...that would be my ideal speaker in the 1000-1500$ range. Maybe the RX series may suite my individual tastes.

I see you are going from Energy to new fronts. I have only heard the Energy's Take line. I thought they were on the brighter side but most Energy owners seems to say most Energys are warmer in sound. I'm just wondering because I was actually eyeballing a pair of RC 30 for super cheap but I don't have any dealers of the Energy line around here. They seem to get great reviews but everyones ears are different and speakers are subjective. Do you have the means to audition the Axioms, or would it be a blind purchase? If you live somewhere like me, speaker dealers can be somewhat limited. I have heard the Paradigms,Def Tech, B&W, Klipsch, MA and Polk setup in demo rooms. The RS6s were high on my list, especially in their price range.

Best advice is to be patient and try out as many as you can. $900 for a set used RS6s is not really a bargain but if they'd let you get the 3.0 for $1200...I'd say grab them.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

gamebred,

I find it interesting that you're between the RS6s and the RF-62's. To me the Klipsch are much to bright, where the RS6s are more neutral but forward, in your face sounding. But like you said its all subjective.

Perhaps since you want to merge the 2 speakers you may try KEF iQ9's. Those to me would fall between the Klipsch and MA's. The KEFs are a little less bright then the Klipsch's and forward like the MA's but they don't have the bass thump like the MA's. Detail and clarity are all about even if you ask me.

4x12, My local dealer said the MA RS6's would be about $975 brand new. So I don't think $900 used is a very good price, see how long the persons had them and counter offer... My dealer was talking about his RS6s on demo, that he had for 2 weeks before I audition them and said $900.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
L'assomption, Qc

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01

4x12, My local dealer said the MA RS6's would be about $975 brand new. So I don't think $900 used is a very good price, see how long the persons had them and counter offer... My dealer was talking about his RS6s on demo, that he had for 2 weeks before I audition them and said $900.
The RS6's are in store demo's... the tech who brought them over to the clients house scrathed the top of one speaker while setting them up. Nothing major or deep, hardly visible. Because of that hes letting them go for $900 I might squeeze another $50 off of that... maybe. Also, you need to remember that in Canada prices are different. I spoted a set of new RS6's online recently for $950 but I don't want to deal with duty and shipping issues.

And to answer your question about the Energy's I sold... I guess I got tired of them. They sounded really good, but after 8 years of owning the C5's I needed a breath of fresh air. When I tested the RS6's a month, that made me realise I needed a change.

Another thing I noticed on the Axiom site is that they offer 2nd's @ 10% off. I need to find out what these blems are... but that might also be a cool option...
Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
The RS6's are in store demo's... the tech who brought them over to the clients house scrathed the top of one speaker while setting them up. Nothing major or deep, hardly visible. Because of that hes letting them go for $900 I might squeeze another $50 off of that... maybe. Also, you need to remember that in Canada prices are different. I spoted a set of new RS6's online recently for $950 but I don't want to deal with duty and shipping issues.

And to answer your question about the Energy's I sold... I guess I got tired of them. They sounded really good, but after 8 years of owning the C5's I needed a breath of fresh air. When I tested the RS6's a month, that made me realise I needed a change.

Another thing I noticed on the Axiom site is that they offer 2nd's @ 10% off. I need to find out what these blems are... but that might also be a cool option...
I think that is a record for people on this site... 8 yrs...
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #12

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
gamebred,

I find it interesting that you're between the RS6s and the RF-62's.
Perhaps since you want to merge the 2 speakers you may try KEF iQ9's. Those to me would fall between the Klipsch and MA's.

I know they are two completely different sounding speakers. Like I said, I liked the RF-62 in the eniviroment I listened to them in. My room couldn't be more opposite....big widows, hardwood flooring, and non-porous couches.

As far as the warmer sounding speakers, the RS-6s really caught my attention. They pack quite a punch, too. The fact that they are front ported would mean I could place them closer to my wall...which would look good with a wall mounted plasma. I think they would sound wonderful in my room as well. At least I could bring them back to the dealer if I was unsatisfied.

As far as KEF goes, there aren't any local dealers that carry them..so they'd be a blind purchase if I went that route. They aren'r exactly cheap speakers either. I'd feel much better scooping up the Energy RC30s (refurbed in black ash)for $460 for the pair if i did decide to bite the bullet on a blind purchase. They sure look like some quality speakers, that's for sure.

I see that you too are an Energy owner. I seen your gallery and they sure are some pretty speakers. How do you like the sound of them?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamebred View Post
I know they are two completely different sounding speakers. Like I said, I liked the RF-62 in the eniviroment I listened to them in. My room couldn't be more opposite....big widows, hardwood flooring, and non-porous couches.

As far as the warmer sounding speakers, the RS-6s really caught my attention. They pack quite a punch, too. The fact that they are front ported would mean I could place them closer to my wall...which would look good with a wall mounted plasma. I think they would sound wonderful in my room as well. At least I could bring them back to the dealer if I was unsatisfied.

As far as KEF goes, there aren't any local dealers that carry them..so they'd be a blind purchase if I went that route. They aren'r exactly cheap speakers either. I'd feel much better scooping up the Energy RC30s (refurbed in black ash)for $460 for the pair if i did decide to bite the bullet on a blind purchase. They sure look like some quality speakers, that's for sure.

I see that you too are an Energy owner. I seen your gallery and they sure are some pretty speakers. How do you like the sound of them?
The Energys are a warmer sounding speaker then the RS6s. They are great, and I love them. For movies they offer a full and detailed sound, they get all the little nuances of a movies and produce detail quite well. Highs and mids are very accurate. The mids have a nice fullness and detail that is excellent, and have great clarity. For music they are some really good speakers. They handle everything very well. Piano and female vocals are precise and clear, acoustic guitar I can hear john mayer plucking the strings. When playing alternative music they can be loud but not overbearing and fatiguing...

However, The lows are not as low as you have heard with the RS6's, That is one thing that is really nice about the RS6's. Although there aren't a ton of speakers that I have heard that have that low of an extension, the ones I have heard are B&W 600s and Dali Concepts, can get low too. I think the Dali's are my favorite speaker at the moment.

The RC-series will give you a little better deeper bass, but still not to the point of the RS6s. They have better drivers and so they are even more accurate then the C-300 I have. The RCs have a little brighter sound to them then the C-series too, but they are still a laid back speaker compared to what you are looking at.

In my head I see the RS6s as the pinacle of HT speakers and The Dali's as the pinacle of musical speakers. Then the Energys are right there with being able to do both Very Well. (not that the MA's cant play music very well or the Dalis can't sound awesome with movies, because they both do.) If you catch what I'm saying.

Here is the RC-50 brand new for $800/pr
Or the RC-30s you mention brand new for $500

I did see them selling the RC-30 for $480 when you get the pair together, you may be able to call them and see... or if they will do $760 on the RC-50s. And the RC-LCR is $299
Old 10-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
Hey Guys,

As of this morning, I was dead set on getting the Montior Audio RS6 floor model at a discounted price (small blem on top) of $900 instead of $1200 and the matching center. But after looking into the Axiom Speakers... i'm back at square one. I love the fact that these are Canadian made, I strongly beleive in buying Canadian when possible... theres the free shipping, saving one tax is also a plus and the overall prices seem great.
Hi! If you really would like canadian speakers, then you should consider Totems. You can ask John72953 about it.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
L'assomption, Qc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rded View Post
Hi! If you really would like canadian speakers, then you should consider Totems. You can ask John72953 about it.
I checked them out last night, just a little out of my price range.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #16
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Yup cheapest price I found was 1400$ in stock already in DDO west island. That was hell of deal for a pair on the Staffs, this is pricy but they sound amazing.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Yup cheapest price I found was 1400$ in stock already in DDO west island. That was hell of deal for a pair on the Staffs, this is pricy but they sound amazing.
is that a pair? I still need to hear these too.... I wonder what they go for in the states.......

Last edited by callas01; 10-22-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #18
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
is that a pair? I still need to hear these too.... I wonder what they go for in the states.......

Yups MSRP is 1800$ canadian a pair but they are willing to do 1400$ on mahagony finish they have in stock. Maple are more expensive since it's natural and I guess they have to put a perfect piece there to make em look nice so they go for 2000$ a pair MSRP they let go at 1600$. They also had a pair without finish on em and these, they were gonna make it the same finish as your custom furniture made at your favourite cabinet maker.

FYI 4X12 I really consider making a move on the Staffs and Mites in a couple of years they are truly awsome speakers. superb finishing hand made, x-over is also hand made by Totem. Only the driver they purchase from a manufacturer back then was dynaudio and they modify the drivers to their own standards.

Last edited by BigAl87; 10-22-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
Hey fellow Montreal-er,

First things firsts the factory seconds are mostly perfect (all my axioms are factory seconds and I've found no blemish or imperfections). From what I've read before getting mine, almost everybody who ordered them didn't find anything wrong. Also as a side note, the "imperfections" can only be cosmetic and will not affect the performance of the speakers. From their website:

Axiom Audio products go through a very extensive and demanding Quality Control process. Even the slightest blemish or element that may not even be noticable to the eye can cause the product to be unacceptable as a first. While our manufacturing facilities and processes are of the highest quality and reliability...the fact is that a few of our speakers just don't make it through our rigorous quality / appearance acceptance criteria.

There are many reviews of the different Axiom speakers (they are linked on the Axiom website) but I specially like the reviews from Audioholics.

Anyway, with that out of the way. Axiom has a 30 day in-home trial where you can get the speakers listen to them and return them if you're not satisfied (like many other online companies). The only downside is you have to pay for return shipping.

(BTW I'm not affiliated with Axiom)

Anyway, there are plenty of other choices in the price range you're looking at. Take the time to audition several speakers and then get the ones that are the perfect match for you. Good luck!

Last edited by Johk; 10-22-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
Did you like the way they sound? If yes, then maybe you should wait snd save up; rather than getting instant gratification and regret it kater
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers