Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Switch)
$39.88
13 hrs ago
Hello Neighbor (Switch)
$26.49

Legendary Fishing (Switch)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Switch)
$51.64
5 hrs ago
Monster Energy Supercross (Switch)
$19.99

Dead Cells (Switch)
$29.99

Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero Ultimate Edition (Switch)
$29.99

Sonic Forces (Switch)
$24.99

Harvest Moon (Switch)
$29.99

Super Mario Party (Switch)
$58.95

Hyrule Warriors (Switch)
$52.85

South Park The Fractured But Whole (Switch)
$29.29
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 06-15-2018, 04:11 AM   #1
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2006
Find Me!
Default Nintendo's disappointing E3 announcements send stock plunging

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/14/inve...rop/index.html

Nintendo has been red hot for the past few years, but investors have started to "Switch" away from the stock.
Shares of Nintendo (NTDOY) have plunged 16% so far in June.

It's a curious drop. The video game industry is now in the spotlight because of the annual E3 conference taking place in Los Angeles.

The big players in the gaming business often unveil new titles at E3, and the stocks of video game companies tend to go up in June.

This year is no exception. Electronic Arts (EA) and Activision Blizzard (ATVI) have already surged 12% so far this month while Take-Two Interactive (TTWO) is up 9%.

So why is Nintendo slumping? It seems like investors may be disappointed by the lack of any big news from the company's E3 appearance. Hopes were high for big news.

Related: Nintendo's latest video game devices are made of cardboard

Entertainment and video game news site Screen Rant had this to say about the Nintendo E3 press conference.

"The presentation was something of a let-down overall. In general, the reveals weren't that interesting, with little to get the heart racing and a severe lack of information on such massive franchises as Pokemon."

Nintendo is a part owner of Niantic, the private company that developed the mobile augmented reality Pokemon Go game that took the world by storm in 2016. Nintendo also has a stake in the Pokemon Company -- which manages the trading cards, TV series and other licensing opportunities for Pikachu and his pals.

Nintendo makes Pokemon games for its consoles as well, and there were some gripes that details about the newest "Pokemon Let's Go" games were already well-known. In other words, Nintendo didn't surprise anyone.

There was also a somewhat lackluster response to the upcoming game in the Super Smash Bros. series, which feature Mario, Donkey Kong, Link from The Legend of Zelda, and other beloved, old school Nintendo characters.

"A reliance on Smash Bros Ultimate and Pokemon Let's Go to carry Switch sales this year hasn't been well-received," GamerRevolution wrote.

Related: Headset maker's stock soars 700% on 'Fortnite' mania

"Both games will likely perform incredibly well for Nintendo, but the market isn't so sure." the site added, concluding that "E3 is the biggest US gaming event of the year, so many were hoping that the Switch would have a stronger showing."

Nintendo wasn't even able to benefit from the official announcement that Fortnite, the super hot multiplayer battle royale game, is now available for the Switch.

Gaming site Polygon reported that there were more than 2 million downloads of Fortnite on Nintendo's Switch eShop in less than 24 hours.

But Nintendo may be a victim of its own success. With the stock having more than doubled in the past three years, it looks like the company has to do a lot more to impress Wall Street. Investors have already been swimming in Mario's trademark golden coins.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/14/inve...rop/index.html

Nintendo has been red hot for the past few years, but investors have started to "Switch" away from the stock.
Shares of Nintendo (NTDOY) have plunged 16% so far in June.

It's a curious drop. The video game industry is now in the spotlight because of the annual E3 conference taking place in Los Angeles.

The big players in the gaming business often unveil new titles at E3, and the stocks of video game companies tend to go up in June.

This year is no exception. Electronic Arts (EA) and Activision Blizzard (ATVI) have already surged 12% so far this month while Take-Two Interactive (TTWO) is up 9%.

So why is Nintendo slumping? It seems like investors may be disappointed by the lack of any big news from the company's E3 appearance. Hopes were high for big news.

Related: Nintendo's latest video game devices are made of cardboard

Entertainment and video game news site Screen Rant had this to say about the Nintendo E3 press conference.

"The presentation was something of a let-down overall. In general, the reveals weren't that interesting, with little to get the heart racing and a severe lack of information on such massive franchises as Pokemon."

Nintendo is a part owner of Niantic, the private company that developed the mobile augmented reality Pokemon Go game that took the world by storm in 2016. Nintendo also has a stake in the Pokemon Company -- which manages the trading cards, TV series and other licensing opportunities for Pikachu and his pals.

Nintendo makes Pokemon games for its consoles as well, and there were some gripes that details about the newest "Pokemon Let's Go" games were already well-known. In other words, Nintendo didn't surprise anyone.

There was also a somewhat lackluster response to the upcoming game in the Super Smash Bros. series, which feature Mario, Donkey Kong, Link from The Legend of Zelda, and other beloved, old school Nintendo characters.

"A reliance on Smash Bros Ultimate and Pokemon Let's Go to carry Switch sales this year hasn't been well-received," GamerRevolution wrote.

Related: Headset maker's stock soars 700% on 'Fortnite' mania

"Both games will likely perform incredibly well for Nintendo, but the market isn't so sure." the site added, concluding that "E3 is the biggest US gaming event of the year, so many were hoping that the Switch would have a stronger showing."

Nintendo wasn't even able to benefit from the official announcement that Fortnite, the super hot multiplayer battle royale game, is now available for the Switch.

Gaming site Polygon reported that there were more than 2 million downloads of Fortnite on Nintendo's Switch eShop in less than 24 hours.

But Nintendo may be a victim of its own success. With the stock having more than doubled in the past three years, it looks like the company has to do a lot more to impress Wall Street. Investors have already been swimming in Mario's trademark golden coins.
I'd like to think this would serve as a wakeup call to Nintendo, but it wont.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
Power Member

Dec 2008

Well to me this post served as a great public announcement towards Fortnite. But I hear you, Nintendo should invest a way much more and just don't rely on specifica peoples thoughts!
Old 06-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #4

Jul 2012
East Yorkshire, England

Nintendo have admitted that maybe they should have shown some games that weren't aimed for the 12 months.
We know there are a ton of games coming, all big titles, but they don't have dates or it's just simply '2019'.
Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4 and Yoshi were all announced at E3 last year but didn't show this year probably because they aren't anywhere near being show ready.
Add to that what we either know is coming, like the follow up to Breath of the Wild, or what we highly suspect is coming, like a follow up to Super Mario Odyssey, and you could have quite a list of games. Nintendo has always been quite guarded with most of the their titles and making sure they are only shown when they are ready to be. Games have been shown in the past that have either been cancelled or completely re-done from versions previously shown.
IMO there is no point in showing a game at E3 (or anywhere else) that isn't near release.

What Nintendo needs more is support from third parties and show their games at events and in Nintendo Directs, in the past they could get away with it because neither Sony and especially MS had a strong first party showing at these kinds of events. Their events were held up with third party games that mostly weren't even exclusives.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGamer View Post
Nintendo have admitted that maybe they should have shown some games that weren't aimed for the 12 months.
Ya think?

Quote:
IMO there is no point in showing a game at E3 (or anywhere else) that isn't near release.

See this is where you and I disagree. Nintendo needs to generate hype and maintain momentum. I don't mind seeing what Nintendo's "roadmap" is for the Switch. Mainly because on a console that we all know is not going to have a ton of 3rd party support, it's important that they show gamers WHY the Switch will be a sound investment in the months/years going forward. If gamers cannot play the latest Call of Duty or Assassins Creed, they need at least a reason to stay interested in Switch. I do not agree at all with Nintendo's "IV drip" approach to releasing information. I think it kills momentum and hype for the machine, two things it needs to maintain.

Quote:
What Nintendo needs more is support from third parties and show their games at events and in Nintendo Directs,
This to me is the most concerning and disappointing thing about E3 for Nintendo. I thought for sure we would see more 3rd party support for Switch at this year's E3, considering that it's a success. However 3rd party relations seem to remain "chilly" outside of Ubisoft. I'm still blown away that Madden is not coming to switch this year.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Power Member

Jun 2010

It’s never going I to get much support from western AAA third party publishers. Even the Wii that sold a 100 million was poorly supported with just getting a couple of CoDs, one Madden, some things that made sense for the Nintendo base like Rayman and otherwise things like Dance games, Music games, minigame collections etc.

The base for western AAA games is on the other platforms as Nintendo hasn’t gotten many of those games for over 20 years. Add in being less powerful (which will be even more an issue once PS5 and the next Xbox are out) and it’s just not worth porting most of their games.

What is surprising to me is that the 3DS and Vita developers haven’t started pumping out Switch games. Though I imagine it’s just taking them a while to ramp up to making games for an HD console vs. portables with low res screens.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #7
Special Member

Jul 2010

Being an owner of both a PS4 and a Switch I am fine with the Switch being a “Nintendo” machine. With that being said I’d love to see them continue to roll out remasters of GameCube, Wii and Wii U games considering my prior Nintendo console was the 64. Since buying the Switch in December I’ve picked up Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 and Stardew Valley. Maybe it’s all in my head but I love each of these games and feel they are special in comparison to the games I’ve bought on the PS4 this year.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
Power Member

Jun 2010

Oh I’m totally fine with it to. That’s why I bought it—and the same with every console from the N64 on.

I buy these things for Nintendo games and the occasional Japanese exclusive from a third party that interests me. The other consoles and PCs will always be my main platforms as western AAAs and Sony/MS first party games are more to my tastes and I prefer top level, realistic graphics/art styles to cartoony ones.

It’s just always odd how every generation there’s so many Nintendo owners griping about not getting the big games from the western AAA devs. People should know what they’re getting as Nintendo has gotten very few of those games from the N64 on and you need to buy/main another platform if you mostly want those games.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu128 View Post
Being an owner of both a PS4 and a Switch I am fine with the Switch being a ďNintendoĒ machine. With that being said Iíd love to see them continue to roll out remasters of GameCube, Wii and Wii U games considering my prior Nintendo console was the 64. Since buying the Switch in December Iíve picked up Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 and Stardew Valley. Maybe itís all in my head but I love each of these games and feel they are special in comparison to the games Iíve bought on the PS4 this year.
Well Stardew is definitely in your head because that's also available on PS4. To be fair, BotW and Mario are both generation defining games for Nintendo's hardware. To be frank, I doubt they'll hit that high ever again, unless they manage to break that trend and push out another main zelda and Mario on switch. They're special games to be sure.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma_Winstead View Post
To be frank, I doubt they'll hit that high ever again, unless they manage to break that trend and push out another main zelda and Mario on switch. They're special games to be sure.
I think Prime 4 is the only other game that could do this.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
I think Prime 4 is the only other game that could do this.
Nah, the real next gen Pokemon will sell truckloads of Switches. Hell, this years Pokemon Let's Go games might sell truckloads. Who knows? Metroid historically has never been a huge seller for Nintendo. At this point, Animal Crossing is probably a bigger seller than Metroid.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Nah, the real next gen Pokemon will sell truckloads of Switches. Hell, this years Pokemon Let's Go games might sell truckloads. Who knows? Metroid historically has never been a huge seller for Nintendo. At this point, Animal Crossing is probably a bigger seller than Metroid.
I just don't see the upcoming Pokemon as "special" games. Maybe the main one next year if they're changing it up as much as they say.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #13
Power Member

Oct 2012

They could have announced the next classic edition but they decided not to.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
Power Member

Jun 2010

Yeah, as much as I love Metroid games, they aren’t big sellers even as games, much less console movers. From a quick google it looks like the main games have tended to sell 1 to 2.x million and the series as a whole (including spinoffs) has sold 17 million or so from the NES original through the shitty 3DS game.

Pokemon definitley moves a ton of consoles and sells a ton of copies. It’s hard to say how the odd games this year will do, but given how big the franchise is and the popularity of Pokemon Go (the craze died down, but it’s still making a ton of money) it will probably do better than we think.

Animal Crossing would move a lot of hardware too. New Leaf led to a pretty big spike in 3DS sales. It brings in a lot more casual gamers and is super popular among female gamers in particular.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #15
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah, as much as I love Metroid games, they arenít big sellers even as games, much less console movers. From a quick google it looks like the main games have tended to sell 1 to 2.x million and the series as a whole (including spinoffs) has sold 17 million or so from the NES original through the shitty 3DS game.
What's the biggest problem for Metroid is that there are tons of so called fans, who are always complaining, literally always.

The GBA Metroid games were both really well done, but didn't sell that much.
Metroid Prime 1 sold quite well
Metroid Prime 2 sold way less, which already is quite strange, because so many people claim to love Prime 1.

Anyway, then it continued with Prime 3, which sold around the same as Prime 1.
Sounds great, doesn't it?
But in reality Prime 1 was on the very badly selling Gamecube. Prime 3 was on the incredibly well selling Wii, so it sold quite frankly poorly especially for a 3D Metroid game, which are surely not cheap to make.

This also means that most Prime 1 owners didn't buy Prime 3 (there is no way that no fresh customers bought Prime 3), which further shows that Prime 1 wasn't as beloved as people say. (I love it, but I'm talking about the millions of customers here).

Nintendo then even sold the trilogy bundle on Wii, 1+2 massively improved thanks to Wiimote controls. This sold very poorly. In Europe I bought it day 1, but it tanked. Yes, after it went OOP prices went through the roof.

Then Nintendo tried to change it up with Metroid Other M.
One of those modern cinematic movie "games" basically. I have to give them credit for taking such a risk, but everything about it was poorly done. In Europe it was in the bargain bin after 1-2 months, which is insane for a Nintendo game.

It's the only Metroid game I didn't enjoy, but as I said - I give them props for at least taking that risk. It was like a full open world FPS w/o cutscenes Uncharted game right after Uncharted 3.

This was the point when those "fans" came in and said that they totally wanted a proper Metroid game - remember the 2D GBA ones and MP2+3+Trilogy sold quite badly.

Now Nintendo didn't make any more games for quite a few years.

They had tried classic 2D, 3D-Prime-style and modern cinematic "game".
Okay, what's now?

a 3D FPS coop based game, Metroid Prime Federation Force.
Actually a really good game (despite it being buggy), obviously meant for coop gameplay. Tons of replay value. Tons of stuff to unlock.

The "fans" complained like crazy, because it's not a "proper" Metroid game. I had tons of fun with it, 100 hours of playtime or something like that. I also enjoyed the Zelda coop game. I don't have a problem with experiments like those.

Anyway, so now Nintendo created a classic 2D Metroid game. Samus Returns for 3DS, so exactly what those "fans" asked for.

How much did it sell? Physically less than 0.5 million on the quite well selling 3DS.

Granted, Samus Returns got the Non-Iwata-Nintendo treatment, you need 4 Amiibos to unlock stuff that you got previously without paying 60 additional bucks. Like sound test, art gallery. One amiibo is even required for the highest difficulty setting (out of 3), which is quite insane and incredibly greedy.
They could have done this properly, as in make all of that stuff unlockable by (superb) gameplay OR Amiibo. That's how Iwata handled that (see for example Star Fox Zero amiibo support).

And now we are back to 3D-Prime.
I personally do not care anymore, especially its on the Switch and it's also not even made by Retro (granted, most if not all Prime devs aren't at Retro anymore) and I don't want to know what Amiibo-non-sense they will add this time.
I doubt it will sell well, but who knows...
Old 06-18-2018, 04:33 PM   #16
Power Member

Jun 2010

Yeah that's definitely part of it.

But still, it's just a niche franchise that's never had a game sell 3 million copies.

It's just not something like Pokemon or Mario Kart or some Mario games that sell tens of millions and move hardware.

It's just too different from those types of games that are what most people buy Nintendo for and much less friendly for kids/casuals as they tend to be harder, more obtuse games that are easier to get stuck in.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008

Metroid doesn't sell well, but it's one of the few Nintendo franchises that sells specifically to the "we're adults and we play serious games and Metroid is for adults" gamer demographic.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #18
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I would announce at least 100,000 more units for the NES and SNES Classics and beef up their game selection as well as slashing the price on each to $40. Raspberry Pis being real makes it too expensive for most serious gamers to justify forking over $80+ for these things.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #19
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by captveg View Post
Metroid doesn't sell well, but it's one of the few Nintendo franchises that sells specifically to the "we're adults and we play serious games and Metroid is for adults" gamer demographic.
It is. Itís just Nintendo doesnít have many of those types in its base who arenít just getting their fill of those type of games on the other platforms. Thatís why it doensít sell well, doesnít get people to buy Nintendo hardware in big numbers etc.

Itís just outside their niche and they only bother as it has some diehard fans who beg for it all the time and they throw them a bone every once in a while.

Itís an IP theyíd be better served to make a multiplatform game like MS has kept Minecraft after buying the developer. It doensít move hardware for them and theyíd sell at least a couple million more if they put it at least on PC where thereís more of a market for those type of games.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City
Send a message via AIM to RaijinUT

I know Youtubers gamers love to talk about Stocks as if is some tell all tale... but Nintendo's stock falls every July the jumps up in Sept as the holidays nears, then drops again towards the end of the year.

It is just how their stock trends...

Sony's and Microsoft stock usually falls in July too and end on high in DEC/NOV. Nothing here but trends that people spin for news.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch