Best DVD Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (DVD)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
Solo: A Star Wars Story (DVD)
$14.97

Once Upon a Holiday (DVD)
$8.96

Incredibles 2 (DVD)
$19.96

Avengers: Infinity War (DVD)
$14.39

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (DVD)
$7.99

Mallrats (DVD)
$5.00
2 hrs ago
Dog Days (DVD)
$14.99

The Brady Bunch: The Complete Series (DVD)
$43.55
8 hrs ago
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (DVD)
$3.99

Elementary: The Sixth Season (DVD)
$29.99

Family Guy: Season Sixteen (DVD)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 07-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #1

Nov 2009
New York
Default Perfect Strangers via Warner Archive

Warner Archive FINALLY posted an update that they will indeed be releasing the remaining seasons of Perfect Strangers. Seasons 1-2 came out back in 2008 I believe and had stalled.

Thanks given by:
whiteberry (07-06-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011

"Don't be ridiculous"
Thanks given by:
MattQuack (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Special Member

Sep 2011

"Get out of the city"
Old 07-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
Special Member

Dec 2015

Dance of joy?
Old 07-06-2017, 02:48 AM   #5
Power Member

Oct 2012
Auburndale Fl

I saw that news in my email. It has been far too long since anyone has had the show on TV.
Thanks given by:
MattQuack (07-08-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Great news about the hopefully forthcoming Perfect Strangers entire series being released on DVD; hopefully it will be the entire series in one boxed set. I also hope that if & when this does come out, that they remaster the episodes.

I remember seeing the previous DVD release (of Seasons 1-2) and the picture quality wasn't that great - so, hopefully this will be improved in this future release. That being said, hopefully they won't just be releasing Seasons 3-8 - i.e., I hope they're also re-releasing seasons 1-2. If this set comes out in 2018, it will have been ten years since Seasons 1-2 were released on DVD - so that set is long OOP, and, as I mentioned, had crappy PQ to begin with.

I also hope all of the original music from the show is retained; sometimes there are music copyright issues when it comes to releasing TV shows/movies on DVD, and they have to change the music.

I don't mind streaming, but I prefer watching TV shows/movies on physical media. So, I think I'll wait to see whether this does actually come out with all of the episodes - and then buy the set & watch it that way.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 09-21-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:16 AM   #7

Feb 2013

This is great news. Now all I need are the rest of My 2 Dads, According to Jim, Coach, and Mr. Belvedere.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:34 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

in about a week all these great late 80's early 90's TGIF shows will be on Hulu too, so YAY!
Old 09-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Oswego, IL.

Speaking of TGIF, the house of Family Matters is going to be torn down to build condos. In the condos they'll have pictures of the Family Matters house.
This according to a WGN news report.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #10

Feb 2013

Is there a way to be notified when these are released? Or at least notified when a release date is announced?
Old 10-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHARQ View Post
Is there a way to be notified when these are released? Or at least notified when a release date is announced?
Not that I'm aware of. That being said, the below is a good site that would probably have this info. when/if it's available:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/

I'm getting slightly concerned about this alleged release date of Seasons 3-8. It's already October, and we haven't heard any new info. So, will these actually be coming out this year, or at all?! We'll see.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #12

Feb 2013

Oh, ha! I didn't realize this topic was from 3 months ago.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #13

May 2008

Perfect Strangers - A Small Update About the Warner Archive's Plans for More DVDs

But now that four months have gone by, we don't blame fans for getting restless and wondering about that formal announcement. Yesterday one reader, "Marissa," asked on Twitter about it, addressing the question both to us @TVShowsOnDVD and also to @WarnerArchive: "any ideas on when there will be more updates on the release of the Complete Series of Perfect Strangers???" Warner shortly responded, "Not yet. But stay tuned. We're working on it."
Old 11-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Thanks for the update. This is good to know, but still doesn't tell us much. I guess I'm cautiously optimistic that the rest of the PS series will be coming out at some point, we just don't know exactly when.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:11 AM   #15
Expert Member

Feb 2009

Sorry for bumping this thread, but can anyone that owns the US Season 1-2 set help me out with something?
My girlfriend loves the show, so I wanted to order this release for her, but she has a region 2 locked player.

I own a great number of Warner US DVD releases that, despite being labelled as region 1, work on a region 2 DVD player.
If anyone has a player that can change the DVD regions, could you please test it, to see if it works on a R2 DVD player?

thanks
Old 12-04-2017, 02:17 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Man, I would love to re-watch all of those TGIF shows for the nostalgia but there's just way too much to slog through. That whole block was pretty much mine and everyone I knew's Friday night every single week they aired for a few years. And the more people crowded around the tv back then the better. But realistically, it would take way too long to burn through all those shows again and so it's probably better left to memory.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

I saw very little of PS back when it was on, though watched some of the show in re-runs back in the '90's. And, I can honestly say that this series is worth re-watching again in it's entirety (even though I haven't seen every episode). It was one of the few '80's sitcoms that I found genuinely funny. Balki's intentional ignorance re: modern culture, the chemistry between BP & MLB, the NYC setting, etc. all combined to make a great & extremely memorable series.

To add to my last post, the last official info. we got on this "forthcoming" PS DVD release was that they planned on releasing Seasons 3-8 separately, given that they've already released Seasons 1-2.

Well, I know that S01-02 are still available on DVD (even though they came out years ago), but why not release a boxed set of all 8 seasons at once, instead of over a period of months/years?! I know that DVD releases of individual seasons was the norm back in the 200X's, but it's almost 2018, for crying out loud. Boxed sets of TV series are the norm these days, especially of older shows.

On a different note, I wonder if MLB's appearance in an episode of HBO's great series The Leftovers earlier this year had anything to do with the decision to work on releasing the rest of PS to DVD?! It seems kind of arbitrary that Seasons 1-2 of PS came out in 2008, and almost 10 years later we're hearing about the rest of the seasons being released to DVD. I wonder why they waited so long?! Poor sales?! Copyright/music issues?! These are rhetorical questions - I doubt we'll ever know the real reasons for this delay....

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 12-05-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:39 AM   #18

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
I wonder if MLB's appearance in an episode of HBO's great series The Leftovers earlier this year had anything to do with the decision to work on releasing the rest of PS to DVD?!
That and Bronson Pinchot and MLB's recent Chiller Theatre spot.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #19
Special Member

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
It seems kind of arbitrary that Seasons 1-2 of PS came out in 2008, and almost 10 years later we're hearing about the rest of the seasons being released to DVD. I wonder why they waited so long?! Poor sales?! Copyright/music issues?! These are rhetorical questions - I doubt we'll ever know the real reasons for this delay....
Supposedly sales weren't an issue and it was actually music licensing costs, as the characters frequently would sing popular songs a cappella during episodes.

This was apparently mentioned in a WHV chat that was documented by tvshowsondvd.com.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/articles...rfectStrangers
Old 01-06-2018, 12:48 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiYahooeys View Post
Supposedly sales weren't an issue and it was actually music licensing costs, as the characters frequently would sing popular songs a cappella during episodes.

This was apparently mentioned in a WHV chat that was documented by tvshowsondvd.com.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/articles...rfectStrangers
Thanks for the info. It doesn't surprise me that music/copyright issues may truly be the cause for the delay re: the release of PS S03-on (on home video) for 10 years. This is terrible, but not surprising.

In addition to PS, it's frustrating that these issues have prevented some truly great shows from being released in the past - or else resulted in great shows being butchered on home video because the original songs have been changed. Case in point: The excellent 1987-1991 Vietnam War drama Tour of Duty originally featured a lot of 1960's/1970's era rock/pop music - when the show first aired on T.V. These songs really complemented the series & the scenes they were placed over, especially since many were Vietnam War era-period songs. However, because of these copyright issues, many of the songs were changed when the show finally got released to DVD in the 200X's - notably the excellent opening theme song "Paint it Black" by the Stones. To me & other fans of the series, this really marred the show - to the point that I never got this on DVD - nor will I, unless it's released with the correct music in the correct place(s).

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 01-06-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies