Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Righting Wrongs (Blu-ray)
$26.99
9 hrs ago
Scream 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.95
5 hrs ago
Spider-Man: No Way Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$35.95

Sherlock: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Tom Baker - Complete Season Six (Blu-ray)
$35.49
1 hr ago
The Halloween 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$103.78
39 min ago
Kamen Rider Kuuga: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.99
59 min ago
Downton Abbey: A New Era 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.49
59 min ago
Silent Hill (Blu-ray)
$19.59
2 hrs ago
The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.30
7 hrs ago
The Lost Boys 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Lost Highway 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Default Sweet Sixteen (1983) - Code Red - August 11, 2015

Spine # 16

Sold exclusively at Screen Archives Entertainment (SAE)

Quote:
SWEET SIXTEEN (1983 / Limited Edition of 1,700)

When Melissa Morgan (Aleisa Shirley), a sexy big-city girl, moves to a small Texas town, she creates quite a stir with her beauty and promiscuous attitude. She's 15 going on 25, and all the boys at her new school are anxious to get to know her. But when the younger brother of a local hellraiser (Don Stroud) is brutally murdered, the town sheriff (Bo Hopkins) must try to solve the killings before the killer strikes again. Along to help him is his Nancy Drew-ish daughter (Dana Kimmell, Friday The 13th 3-D).

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Anamorphic high-def widescreen transfer of the original 35mm negatives
  • On camera interview with star Bo Hopkins, director Jim Soto and actress Alicia Shirley
Thanks given by:
redrunner97 (09-18-2018)
Old 08-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007

Thanks given by:
Jobla (05-27-2021)
Old 08-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2012
Georgia

I watched Sweet Sixteen this weekend, and here are my thoughts that I shared in the Code Red thread...

Melissa, played by Aleisa Shirley, is the most physically mature 15 year-old girl in the entire history of 15 year-old girls, and she understandably attracts a lot of attention when she moves to a small desert town. Unfortunately, everyone who tries to meet with her has a way of ending up horribly dead. Bo Hopkins plays a sheriff on the case who receives some help here and there from his intelligent Nancy Drew-esque daughter, played by the wonderful Dana Kimmell, whom we all know from Friday the 13th: Part 3. Susan Strasberg (Picnic, Kapò) plays Melissa's mother, who has a few issues of her own with moving back to the town of her younger years, while Patrick Macnee (A View to a Kill, The Howling, The Avengers TV Series) plays her archaeologist husband. Don Shanks (Revenge of the Ninja) plays a Native American that is embroiled in the small town's struggles with racism. Don Stroud, who excels at playing a good ole' boy type, is quite good in this film as well.

Sweet Sixteen, while not exactly a game changer in the world of early 1980s slasher cinema, is a fast-paced and enjoyable film with a few fun twists here and there. Since it plays out like a Nancy Drew after-school special or something of the sort, there's a good-natured element that keeps it from stepping over the line.

This Blu-ray transfer is pretty good, considering the source material, and, while I was not as wowed over by this one as I was by the transfer of The Cheerleaders, I'm still quite pleased with the disc.

The interview supplementary is a fun viewing, and I'm glad that Bo Hopkins, Aleisa Shirley, and director Jim Sotos are still ticking.
Thanks given by:
barsalou (09-18-2018), HanaBi (08-21-2020), levcore (02-12-2018), Mr. Thomsen (08-18-2015), sleeperbloke (02-12-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #4

Feb 2008
Scotland

Ordered this from 88films in the Uk, heard mixed things about it but will give it a go. 88films have Some really good releases.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:29 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
US
USA SLASHtember - Day 16: "Sweet Sixteen" (1983)

SLASHTEMBER - DAY 16: SWEET SIXTEEN (1983)

Why are all the boys dying to meet Melissa?

I can’t remember when I first learned about Sweet Sixteen’s existence. It’s not exactly a top tier slasher, so I probably read about it online or something (probably on a site I used to frequent called RetroSlashers). Either way, the DVD was on my purchase list for quite some time. Thankfully, the Code Red blu-ray got released sooner rather than later, and I never had to suffer through an SD presentation of this one. This was only my second time watching it, and I’d say it definitely works better on repeat viewings. I knew what I was getting myself into and didn’t allow any of my expectations to override the experience.

A beautiful, rebellious girl named Melissa tries to make friends after moving to the remote Texas town her mother grew up in. The only problem is, each of the boys she takes interest in keep turning up dead at the hands of a brutal murderer. As her sixteenth birthday approaches, the body count continues to rise. It’s up to the local sheriff to uncover the killer’s identity. In the process, he’ll learn what terrors are unleashed when a girl turns sweet sixteen.

Sweet Sixteen opens with a nightmarish dream sequence, brought on by a young girl who fell asleep reading a mystery novel. That’s probably the best indication of how this movie plays out—like a cheap mystery novel that drifts into exploitation territory at times, and Agatha Christie territory at others. Set in a small town on the Texas range, this film makes the most of its haunting locale. Everything feels wide open and desolate, yet strangely claustrophobic at the same time. Not unlike summer camps or cabins in the woods, this setting seems like the perfect canvas for bad things to happen. I’m surprised it hasn’t been utilized more often, to be perfectly honest.

I’d definitely classify this film in the category of “underseen gems.” The script is more than serviceable, though some of the dialogue is a bit clunky at times (I dare you to take a shot every time someone cheekily says the word “cute” without dying of alcohol poisoning before the end credits). There are only a few murders, none being particularly gruesome. But what this movie lack in bloodshed, it makes up for in other areas. Part of the film takes place on an Indian Reservation and it quickly becomes a major plot point. The story never shies away from its inherent socio-political undertones, choosing to make them overtones rather than brush them aside in favor of more exploitation (which there is already plenty of). The climax is a bit uninspired and mildly convoluted, but it works with the recurring bargain mystery novel theme.

For a smaller movie, there are some surprisingly big names in this picture. Sandy-haired movie star Bo Hopkins play the role of Sheriff Burke. He’s an actor who always strikes me as cool as a cucumber, and this character is no different. He was perfectly cast as a charismatic lawman with a southern drawl. But Dana Kimmell is probably the standout here, playing his mystery-loving teenage daughter who tries to outwit her ol’ dad at every turn. Genre staples like Halloween 5’s Don Shanks, Bloody Birthday's Susan Strasberg, Graduation Day’s Michael Pataki, and The Goonies’ Steve Antin, also show up. And I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Aleissa Shirley’s turn as Melissa, our lead. She not the greatest actress in the world, but her character represents an interesting take on the traditional final girl. Melissa is rebellious, promiscuous, and far from the innocent virgin we typically have to work with. It’s actually pretty refreshing.

As a straightforward slasher flick, Sweet Sixteen doesn’t really do much to elevate the genre. But it has its moments and, if a slower, more character-driven mystery/exploitation hybrid sounds appealing, you might get a lot out of this one. It’s also got a catchy end-credits song that was composed for the film as well and, as you might have realized, that’s always a plus in my book! Recommended!

[Show spoiler]If you're not already, please feel free to come talk slashers with us over in the '80s slasher thread! There's nothing to be frightened of.

Last edited by redrunner97; 09-18-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Thanks given by:
barsalou (09-18-2018), deedeenova (10-06-2018), HanaBi (08-21-2020), Katatonia (09-18-2018), Pinot Grigio (09-18-2018), The Great Owl (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 02:21 AM   #6
Special Member

Dec 2017
Mausoleum

Good review!! I've always had a soft spot for Sweet Sixteen. That song is great... ''Melissa what are you thinking.. sweet Melissa''
Thanks given by:
Pinot Grigio (09-18-2018), redrunner97 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 03:43 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
US

Yeah, I never realized just how many slashers have great original songs. The last three I watched all came with one: My Bloody Valentine, Happy Birthday to Me, Sweet Sixteen. My movie tonight, The Mutilator, has one too. Same goes for Prom Night, which I'm watching tomorrow.

Schizoid should break the streak on Wednesday though, unless I'm forgetting something (other than the entire movie, which I've only seen once). Lol.
Thanks given by:
barsalou (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 05:23 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Maryland

I love that song from The Mutilator. So good.
Thanks given by:
barsalou (09-18-2018), redrunner97 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #9
Special Member

Dec 2017
Mausoleum

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
Yeah, I never realized just how many slashers have great original songs. The last three I watched all came with one: My Bloody Valentine, Happy Birthday to Me, Sweet Sixteen. My movie tonight, The Mutilator, has one too. Same goes for Prom Night, which I'm watching tomorrow.

Schizoid should break the streak on Wednesday though, unless I'm forgetting something (other than the entire movie, which I've only seen once). Lol.
Those are all great... only one I've never seen is Prom Night (I know, I know, how is that even possible LOL) I can't remember the song from The Mutilator to save my life... but I know it was a good one, I need to re-visit the movie soon!! My favorite is probably this one:

[Show spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hv47GeVdtk
Old 09-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2013

Much like The Dorm That Dripped Blood, Sweet Sixteen is another that just never really clicked for me. I will try to give both another chance this October.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
Much like The Dorm That Dripped Blood, Sweet Sixteen is another that just never really clicked for me. I will try to give both another chance this October.
I like both of them, but I think Sweet Sixteen is considerably more well-rounded than TDTDB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsalou View Post
Those are all great... only one I've never seen is Prom Night (I know, I know, how is that even possible LOL)
Skip it and go straight to Hello Mary-Lou: Prom Night II. It's 10x's better and a legit '80s horror classic in my book. Then double back around and watch the rest of the Prom Night franchise, but make the mostly unrelated and superior sequel a priority!

I dare you to watch the trailer and not immediately want to go watch it on Amazon Prime.

Last edited by redrunner97; 09-18-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Thanks given by:
barsalou (09-18-2018), PrestonXI (10-06-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #12
Expert Member

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
Skip it and go straight to Hello Mary-Lou: Prom Night II. It's 10x's better and a legit '80s horror classic in my book. Then double back around and watch the rest of the Prom Night franchise, but make the mostly unrelated and superior sequel a priority!
Prom Night 2 is great, but watching the first one over and over has given me new appreciation, and I consider them to be equals in different ways. The characters in the first Prom Night are well written.
Thanks given by:
barsalou (09-18-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #13

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinot Grigio View Post
Prom Night 2 is great, but watching the first one over and over has given me new appreciation, and I consider them to be equals in different ways. The characters in the first Prom Night are well written.
I watched Prom Night for the first time probably 5 years ago, and then rewatched it again earlier this year. I just find it to be INCREDIBLY dull.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #14
Expert Member

Jul 2018
Syracuse, New York

I grew up with both films and while seeing Hello Mary Lou first due to the fact that is all my local mom and pop video shop carried, I think the first one is the best. Nothing beats the dread and early 80s style of slasher. Real feeling characters, fun cheesy disco, while not overly bloody really fun suspenseful kills, and one of the best chase scenes in slasher history. I think my first encounter with this one was on tv back when I was very young. Then in the early 2000s the old sh*tty Alliance Atlantis dvd was terrible you could barely see anything especially during the dark night scenes. Then recently Synapse rereleased it and did amazing things with their release! Must own in my book.
Mary Lou shines while poking fun while not mocking the genre it came from. Great gory kills. Fun in your face late 80s characters. And Michael Ironside! This needsss a blu ray release!!!

Last edited by TwiStedByDeSign86; 10-07-2018 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Spell check sucks and corrected Ironside to Burnside.
Thanks given by:
Pinot Grigio (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #15

Oct 2017
California

I'm not sure that I've ever purchased a Code Red BD. Do they put out some quality content?

I'm looking at buying this.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:06 AM   #16
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2011

Gonna see this on the big screen this upcoming Thursday. Never seen it, but an authentic, new-to-me 80's slasher in a theater?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #17
Expert Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
Gonna see this on the big screen this upcoming Thursday. Never seen it, but an authentic, new-to-me 80's slasher in a theater?

Are you talking about New Haven Connecticut by any chance? I was there last week to see House on Sorority Row and saw this one being advertised as upcoming, part of a double feature I believe.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc904 View Post
Are you talking about New Haven Connecticut by any chance? I was there last week to see House on Sorority Row and saw this one being advertised as upcoming, part of a double feature I believe.
Whoa...where in New Haven?! And are we talking 35mm?
Old 10-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonXI View Post
Whoa...where in New Haven?! And are we talking 35mm?
Bow Tie. No 35mm, unfortunately, it's part of the Bloody Disgusting Presents series with Multicom's new 4k restorations. I think Sweet Sixteen is paired with The Convent, which is a BLAST. Totally worth seeing Adrienne Barbeau kick ass on the big screen.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention View Post
Bow Tie. No 35mm, unfortunately, it's part of the Bloody Disgusting Presents series with Multicom's new 4k restorations. I think Sweet Sixteen is paired with The Convent, which is a BLAST. Totally worth seeing Adrienne Barbeau kick ass on the big screen.
Had no idea there was a theater doing screenings in CT like that. I live in the northeastern part of the state, but am more than willing to drive for great screenings (I got to the Alamo Yonkers multiple times a month, for example).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
code red, sae, sweet sixteen