Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Record of Lodoss War OVA + Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99

My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Dragon Ball Z: Season 5 (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Steins;Gate The Movie: Load Region Of Déja vu (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Mobile Fighter G Gundam: Volume One (Blu-ray)
$45.13
15 hrs ago
Fairy Tail Zero (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Please Twins!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.05

Digimon Adventure tri.: 6-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Fairy Tail: Collection 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Fairy Tail: Collection 7 (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Fairy Tail: Collection 9 (Blu-ray)
$25.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #1301
Power Member

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
Fight! Iczer One
[Show spoiler]

Great 80's OVA cheesiness lesbian and Cronenberg aliens, giant Mecha piloted by naked chicks and android's who also fight with lightsabers, awesome old school character designs, great music and a paper thin plot, what more could you want?
The music and some aspects of the Mecha really reminded me of Evangelion, that couldn't have been a coincidence. Considering it's an old Anime Works DVD, except for a few scenes that only lasted a second or two, it still looked really good on my 55" plasma.
I need to see this!
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (02-13-2019), kk1 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #1302
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post
Did you really need to quote the entire post to say that?

I, for one, am still holding out hope for a continuation.
Yup. Just like you had to chime in and point that out.
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (02-13-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #1303
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2014
In a Galaxy far, far away...

I finished Cardcaptor Sakura today!!! Have not yet watched either of the movies, but I plan on it. I grew up with the American Cardcaptors and I loved it. I still have fond memories, but after seeing Cardcaptor Sakura I am just astounded at how much they cut from the American release. So much relationship stuff was entirely censored. Tomoyo's crush on Sakura was entirely removed on top of changing Tomoyo's name and removing her familial ties to Sakura. Toya and Yukito (Julien in Cardcaptors) are very clearly for each other, but that was of course removed from Cardcaptors. Syaoren's crush on Yukito was reduced severely as well as its resolution and his blossoming feelings for Sakura. Oh yeah, all of this "icky" relationship stuff was excised in favor of making the series both more "boy friendly" as well as acceptable to American audiences who might have been totally turned off by the various romances going on despite the fact that they are kept as innocent and sweet as possible. Cardcaptor Sakura is just a joy to watch in the end though. Virtually every single character is compelling and richly drawn and you cannot help except to get wrapped up in their destinies (romantic and otherwise). It's all very cleanly animated even with some of the usual budget concessions like still frame crowd scenes. The story and characters (and their relationships) are so strong that they keep the series breezing along merrily. Just a great series through and through.

Thanks given by:
professorwho (02-14-2019), vivablu (02-14-2019), zenpai (02-14-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 03:04 AM   #1304
Blu-ray Guru

May 2015

Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl-I gotta say this was one of the more surprising delights I've had watching anime in a while, I had always passed it up because of the name (its s a rather unfortunate change as it doesn't really convey anything about the show though the real name isn't much better Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko which is Electrowave Girl and Youthful Boy) but after finding out it was a SHAFT show and directed by Akiyuki Simbo I decided to give it a shot and am very glad that I did.
Honestly there isn't much story or action but like Bakemonogatari, SHAFT and Simbo take a lot of talking and bike riding to a whole other level. Its so pretty just to look at and every single episode is so well done with every little last detail filled in, it makes me depressed when I watch other shows knowing not even a tenth of the effort went into making them. It's too bad not every studio has as high of standards. And fans of Bakemonogatari will be reminded of lots of similar little touches, from head tilts, to cute girls riding in the front basket of bicycles to beautiful, starry summer skies.
Anyway if I had to describe the story I guess the best comparison would be Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions. In this the MC hoping to make the most of his youth moves to a new town and moves in with his quirky aunt, only to find she has an "alien" living with her (actually his cousin he didn't know he had) from there he makes friends with a bunch more girls all with various eccentricities from trying to cope with problems adolescence throws at us all. All the characters are cute and fun and its just basic SOL stuff in a small town.
So if you enjoy "hanging out" with cute weirdos, you'll enjoy this, I sure did.

Thanks given by:
Bolo Seagull (02-23-2019), Gorgon (02-17-2019), vivablu (02-17-2019), zenpai (02-17-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:57 PM   #1305
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Just watched Maquia: When the promised Flower Blooms on the Shout Factory Blu-ray with the next door neighbor girl this afternoon, as our office was closed today due to the snow. It was pretty good, we both enjoyed it - although I think they stretched out the ending a bit longer than needed, just for maximum onion peeling...

I watched the Shout Standard Edition release on a 120" projection screen from 8 feet away, in a totally dark theater room, and I did not even notice any banding in the live video, even when I was actively looking for it - and I notice banding issues on the big screen fairly readily. There was nothing detracting from the in-motion video quality for me with this release.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (02-21-2019), zenpai (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:59 PM   #1306
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Just watched Maquia: When the promised Flower Blooms on the Shout Factory Blu-ray with the next door neighbor girl. It was pretty good, we both enjoyed it - although I think they stretched out the ending a bit longer than needed, just for maximum onion peeling...
Old 02-23-2019, 01:04 AM   #1307

May 2016

'Golgo 13' (the series)

This series is about the world's greatest hitman and adapted from a manga that has been running since the 1960's. Each episode is a self-contained story. There is no over-arching plot and only the faintest of references between one episode and another. You could watch them in any order with no impact to the enjoyment. They are all fun pulpy one-off's. And despite almost every episode revolving around Golgo getting paid to murder somebody, there is enough variety in the scenarios to keep it fresh.

It is obviously very influenced by James Bond. Although the anime appears to be set in present day, it has a lot of retro stylings that give it that 60's/70's feel. I suspect that the episodes are all adaptations of issues of the manga; and that some of them have not been updated to reflect current approaches to police work and airport security. But they're still fun.

If you like James Bond and pulpy Donald Westlake types of crime stories, I would recommend this series. However, be warned that Sentai's blu ray set is pretty lousy in the AV department. It looks and sounds like standard def. There is a dub, and I watched a few episodes that way. It's a decent dub, although all the English characters still have American accents, which is a bit weird.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (02-24-2019), plateoshrimp (03-17-2019), vivablu (02-24-2019), zenpai (02-23-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #1308
Expert Member

Oct 2010

The AV on Golgo 13 isn't Sentai's fault. It's the HD master itself, as the show is SD video upscaled into a new HD master. Quite odd, but that's apparently how the show was made, for creative reasons.
Thanks given by:
Bolo Seagull (02-24-2019), Gorgon (02-24-2019), zenpai (02-24-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 01:34 AM   #1309
Blu-ray Guru

May 2015

Tailenders from what I've read came out around the same time and similar too Redline (haven't seen that so I don't know) but a short and interesting little oneshot about futuristic racing on some other planet.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #1310
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Watched Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel I. presage flower last night via the Dynit Blu-ray and it was fun. Now, Fate is a franchise with terrible writing (with the sole exception being Zero), but I think the movie format best fits it, because it’s condesed enough to not be as distracting. It’s stull kind of cringy, but the pacing is good enough that it’s never boring.

The visuals are a mixed bag in my book. I’ll probably get a lot of flack for this, but Ufotable needs to stop putting all this digital sh*t on screen and do hand drawn effects instead. While most of them look very nice, the vehicles are terribly modeled and animated, so the fight on the truck, which has some nice 2D key animation, looks weird with the poor truck model. I think this film will be dated much sooner simply due to their insistence of CG for effects. If this were made in the 80s, it’d be hand drawn and would look way better, IMO. That said, the actual 2D animation is nice, though most of it is like a high end TV series and not like a film-level of quality. The bit animated by Nozomu Abe (the Itano Circus in the Lancer v. True Assassin fight) was a stand out with insanely amazing key animation and digital effects that actually complimented it.

The soundtrack is typical Yuki Kajiura music, which I like. It’s a shame she doesn’t really try to make more unique tracks, but it works very well here, so I have no real complaints. The Japanese voice acting is superb as usual, and the English dub is atrocious in terms of acting.

Overall, I liked it, enough to where I’m seeing the sequel in theaters today. I give the movie a 7/10. It sets out what it wants to do rather well, and while my main complaint- the lack of deep writing- is something that can applied to 98% of the whole franchise, it is based on a visual novel after all, so I want expecting anything great to begin with. It’s a fun film. If you ignore all the writing issues, you’ll have a great time.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #1311

May 2016

'Amagi Brilliant Park'

This is a cute comedy show about a guy who gets recruited by a hot but violent lady to revive a failing amusement park. It's rarely hilarious, but steadily enjoyable. Many of the gags are a bit worn out, such as jokes about how the cute fuzzy mascot creatures at the park are a bunch of alcoholic skirt-chasing degenerates.

I felt like it really found its footing and delivered its best episodes in the finale and OVA. I laughed the hardest at the staff of the amusement park trying to make a promo video for the park. I think if the series had continued, the rapport among the characters could've really grown and made it into a better show.

The show has some odd aspects. They set it up so that the main character who is managing the amusement park is somehow also attending secondary school. I guess it's just because every anime these days seems to be required to be set in this teenage zone, but I think they should've just made him a guy in his 20's. They also give him a mind-reading magic power that doesn't really come into play as often as one might think.

Also, the series seems like it's going to go somewhat haremy at a couple points but then takes a right turn. But that harem-teasing might've been an intentional meta-gag.

All and all, the show is okay. I wouldn't tell anybody to go out of their way to seek it out, but you can certainly do worse.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #1312
Blu-ray Guru

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
Watched Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel I. presage flower last night via the Dynit Blu-ray and it was fun. Now, Fate is a franchise with terrible writing (with the sole exception being Zero), but I think the movie format best fits it, because it’s condesed enough to not be as distracting. It’s stull kind of cringy, but the pacing is good enough that it’s never boring.
[Show spoiler]
The visuals are a mixed bag in my book. I’ll probably get a lot of flack for this, but Ufotable needs to stop putting all this digital sh*t on screen and do hand drawn effects instead. While most of them look very nice, the vehicles are terribly modeled and animated, so the fight on the truck, which has some nice 2D key animation, looks weird with the poor truck model. I think this film will be dated much sooner simply due to their insistence of CG for effects. If this were made in the 80s, it’d be hand drawn and would look way better, IMO. That said, the actual 2D animation is nice, though most of it is like a high end TV series and not like a film-level of quality. The bit animated by Nozomu Abe (the Itano Circus in the Lancer v. True Assassin fight) was a stand out with insanely amazing key animation and digital effects that actually complimented it.

The soundtrack is typical Yuki Kajiura music, which I like. It’s a shame she doesn’t really try to make more unique tracks, but it works very well here, so I have no real complaints. The Japanese voice acting is superb as usual, and the English dub is atrocious in terms of acting.

Overall, I liked it, enough to where I’m seeing the sequel in theaters today. I give the movie a 7/10. It sets out what it wants to do rather well, and while my main complaint- the lack of deep writing- is something that can applied to 98% of the whole franchise, it is based on a visual novel after all, so I want expecting anything great to begin with. It’s a fun film. If you ignore all the writing issues, you’ll have a great time.
I just watched it too, in case I wanted to watch part II today (I decided not to go as the closest theater showing it is an hour away) and I agree about the visuals being a mixed bag. It's almost like everything is overdone and the money spent would have been better used on better hand drawn animation. I go back to how Kizumonogatari used completely new character designs to give the movie a different feel than the TV series, while this show basically kept the TV designs. As these are all just different routes of the same story I wasn't expecting anything new but the new take on the story was fresh enough not to be boring. As this part was all setup I expect parts II and III to be much better.
Thanks given by:
professorwho (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #1313
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
I decided not to go as the closest theater showing it is an hour away
That sucks... mine is 4 blocks away from my house.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #1314

Aug 2016

I think Zero has worse writing as most of its quite cliche ridden.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #1315
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedoctor2016 View Post
I think Zero has worse writing as most of its quite cliche ridden.
Perhaps, but Zero has actual character development, something every version of F/SN doesn’t have much of. In addition, I’d say the dialogue is 10x better, with much better wording and diction in each line- if F/SN is a Battle Royale, Zero is a Shakespearean tragedy.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #1316
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
I just watched it too, in case I wanted to watch part II today (I decided not to go as the closest theater showing it is an hour away) and I agree about the visuals being a mixed bag. It's almost like everything is overdone and the money spent would have been better used on better hand drawn animation. I go back to how Kizumonogatari used completely new character designs to give the movie a different feel than the TV series, while this show basically kept the TV designs. As these are all just different routes of the same story I wasn't expecting anything new but the new take on the story was fresh enough not to be boring. As this part was all setup I expect parts II and III to be much better.
That said, the Second movie- which I saw last night is a huge improvement. There’s a whole fight scene an hour into the film with 2D effects work that’s breathtaking to behold. The explosions are similar to Shida’s on the Broly film and have a Gurren Lagann vibe. But, that wasn’t even the best animated cut in the film.

The best cut is a character acting bit in an emotional scene that I swear was animated on 1s. As in a full 24. Either that or 2s with incredible ‘tweening.
Thanks given by:
kk1 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #1317
Blu-ray Guru

May 2015

Qwaser of Stigmata(season 1) (o)(o) (o)(o) (o)(o) Is this the greatest boobie show of all time? if not it's it's top 2. I'd rate it on the full scale from A to DD and probably an F too
Honestly I was shocked (after I got over the shock of the whole soma power up deal) at how consistently well done the animation stayed on this but Hoods Ent usually does do pretty good animation, I think the surprise is more that a ecchi show actually got the budget for a 24 episode well animated show. And while the plot is shockingly over the top (though lets be honest, in anime I have seen, thinner, worse plots on many even non-ecchi shows) I liked that they at least played it serious (if not tongue in cheek) the whole time with some actual decent fights and action.
However let's be honest this show was about boobs, well animated, realistically moving boobs of all shapes and sizes, so if you don't like boobs you won't like this. If you do though you are in for one heck of a full, firm, sweater filling milky treat.

Also fans should look forward to Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? as the guy responsible for those boobs, Hiraku Kaneko, is Chief Director on that show. Starts next month

Last edited by kk1; 03-17-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Thanks given by:
Bolo Seagull (03-19-2019), BWBODDY (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:47 AM   #1318

May 2016

'Mobile Gundam Unicorn'

This is top notch Gundam action. The politics are good 'n murky. There's a really good cast of interesting characters. The animation is gorgeous. All the action is staged and animated excellently. The plot is structured like a treasure hunt, with all factions racing each other to get to a mystery box that is believed to contained something that could tip the balance of power in the galaxy. I was worried it was going to be something lame about how the destination *was* the journey, which was fine back in 'Wizard of Oz' but would be a piss-off today. I liked what it ended up being, it wasn't a cheap cop-out.

It has a fair bit in common with 'Evangelion', in that the main character can be a whiner who is a pawn of his mastermind dad, but 'Gundam UC' is definitely not as confounding as 'Evangelion'.

The hero probably gives about one or two anti-war sermons too many. After that intense showdown with Loni, it feels like the next episode covers the same ground again with less impact when it should be moving on. But that's my one and tiny gripe. It's an excellent 7 part series.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion