Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49
15 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99

3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
2 hrs ago
Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96
8 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dolittle 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
2 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Benelux (Dutch)

Old 01-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #1

Nov 2012
Default Blu-ray doesn't play due to encryption change

Recently I bought Blu-ray "Joy". My (expensive) Philips player BDP9600 refuses to play the disk. Error message: Unknown disc. I contacted Philips' support division and the explained that (translated from Dutch): "the encryption of discs can change over the years. This includes that the hardware in the blu-ray player can become incompatible". If this is true, it's outrageous. In this way Fox is despising her customers. It's probably to prevent piracy but in such a foolish way they drive movie fans in the arms of piracy. Ridiculous and scandalous. PW
Old 01-31-2017, 11:22 PM   #2

Jul 2015

Hi Pierre,

To be honest, this sounds like a weak excuse from Philips support. Although I believe in theory there is an option in the Blu-ray specs to update the encryption I do not believe this has ever actually happened.

Maybe you have just a bad disc, try to exchange it if you can.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Fox discs are notorious for this...
Old 02-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
Fox discs are notorious for this...
Fox are the absolute worst at always pushing the boundaries of the BD security encryption as they are so paranoid about people ripping their disks and "stealing content" and posting online. They are always using the latest encryption which can be ahead of what the various BD player manufacturers are using in their firmware.

It is therefore up to the hardware manufacturers to update their firmware to the latest BD security specification. The problem arises if your particular machine no longer has supported firmware. If they don't update you are screwed.

Fox did a big BD security change on their BD encoding in Q4 2015 which meant many of their new titles released that quarter including the X-Men and Planet of the Apes franchise films refused to work in Sony machines.

Luckily my Sony player did get a firmware update from Sony so could play these disks, but the older ones like the one I passed on to my dad did not, so it won't play any Fox or MGM title released post late 2015.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNoise View Post
Hi Pierre,

To be honest, this sounds like a weak excuse from Philips support. Although I believe in theory there is an option in the Blu-ray specs to update the encryption I do not believe this has ever actually happened.

Maybe you have just a bad disc, try to exchange it if you can.
As I posted the BD specification same as UHD but unlike DVD is NOT fixed so the software BD disk manufactures are allowed to continually update to the latest security settings.

It is the responsibility of the hardware manufacturers to update their firmware in their machines to work with these changes. Some are better than others.

The most proactive I have seen at updating firmware are Sony with PS3 and PS4 and MS with X-Box One etc. probably because they have the largest number of players out there.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #6
Banned

Dec 2016

Fox screwed up many players when they released Avatar and their US release of Lost In Space also stopped some players playing the discs.

But I don't think Fox can take all the blame. Over the last 10 years since I got into Bluray I've always had Panasonic players and when Avatar came out I still had a very slow very early Panny machine but while players from the likes of Sony all needed upgrades the Panasonic players all continued working so the excuse that updates are needed seems weak. How can Panasonic players carry on while others don't?

I've never updated the firmware in my Panasonic machines although I got their UHD player a few weeks back and that told me an update was available on day one although that only had to be done when I wanted to use the smart tv features.

My Bluray Disc Recorder told me an update was needed 2 years ago but its multi region mod is firmware based so any update would remove that feature but although I have never done the update I've never had a problem with any discs . But the smart tv features will no longer work
Old 09-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

It’s not really true. Encryption can change, but not in a way that stops older players playing newer discs. A firmware update should be all you need to play the disc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Benelux (Dutch)