Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$89.99
13 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99
13 hrs ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49
5 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99
23 hrs ago
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$31.46

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 08-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
Expert Member

Dec 2010
Default Excel DVDs to now cost Rs.999/-

Based on my discussion with Excel, they have increased the price of DVDs to Rs.999/-, (same as a Blu Ray) as they want people to switch to Blu Ray and not buy DVDs. I feel that they could have stopped DVD replication if they wanted people to buy Blu Rays.

Starting this thread to know your thoughts on this.

Thanks given by:
ketan (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 01:06 AM   #2

May 2009
Talking

Werenít you supposed to have tea with the ceo of excel and discuss bringing down the price and improve quality? Did you spill tea on his head to warrant this reaction??

Jokes apart, itís amazing how little foresight these guys have! Their move might have the opposite effect - expedite the death of the Home video segment and increase piracy. I hope Iím wrong!
Thanks given by:
rajivnedungadi (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 03:16 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Agree with bugsnest, this is about the stupidest business move I've heard of, and they're only gong to have a pile of unsold discs which will later go for 80% off clearance discounts. What they could do is make only dual format releases.
Thanks given by:
rajivnedungadi (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 04:25 AM   #4
Expert Member

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnest View Post
Werenít you supposed to have tea with the ceo of excel and discuss bringing down the price and improve quality? Did you spill tea on his head to warrant this reaction??

Jokes apart, itís amazing how little foresight these guys have! Their move might have the opposite effect - expedite the death of the Home video segment and increase piracy. I hope Iím wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Agree with bugsnest, this is about the stupidest business move I've heard of, and they're only gong to have a pile of unsold discs which will later go for 80% off clearance discounts. What they could do is make only dual format releases.
:-)

Yes, I did meet you with the Excel CEO last Saturday.

I too was surprised to note that they hiked the prices of the DVD so that people do not buy them and go for a Blu Ray instead. I too feel that this is not a good strategy or there is no logic behind it because the company will see the stocks piling up. However I don't think they will sell this at a low cost as per their strategy.

Below are a few things that we discussed.

1. In 2016 they had decided to close down the Home Video section, however decided to make some changes and continue with the business. The changes included to keep the price tag of all BD titles at 999/- (Earlier they were different prices like 999 and 1299 etc.)

2. As per them they have titles listed on Daily Deals on Amazon.in to "attract" new customers, and they are making a loss of INR 150/- per title when they sell it at Rs.499/-.

My thought: It does not mention anywhere on the amazon listing that its for "New customers" and not for old or existing customers. Also, why would a company trying to bring themselves inside the profit bracket sell something at a loss to gain new customers. Ebay had this option to give away discount coupons to new customers, I think Amazon will also have something like this.

3. For them their favorite customers are people who Pre-Order the item before the release, paying the full price of the item. They sounded as if they are not keen about the people who wait for Offers or Discounts and take the product at a lower price.

My thought: I don't understand why they do not realize that this is India where 90% people download movies, out of the rest of the 10% many people are students who are keen in buying movies and collect money to buy movies (My friends and I have done this during my school and college days to buy Audio Cassette and VHS).

4. I was told that if anyone rates the product less than 3 or if the average is less than 3, those cannot be listed for Daily Deals.

My thoughts: I can see products with 1 star listed in the Daily deals...lol

5. No plans to bring down UHD 4K prices until they are able to sell quantity. As per them a steelbook without the discs cost 850 including import duties, a 4K disc cost Rs.650/- + separate charges for 2D BD and 3D BD (not sure how true this is because when I import from a friend, I get 4K + BD at INR 1300/-), so they have to keep the price at 3499/-for a 3 Disc set with 3D and 2999 with 3 2D Discs.

My thought: Unless the price is reduced a bit gradually, I don't think the sale would increase.

6. When I told about Digital Copies with imported discs, I was told that the DC are on cloud and it can go off the account if the company closes.

My Thoughts: Recently VuDu closed in UK, however all movies there were transferred to Movies Anywhere. I understand why I was told like that ;-)

7. Some of the titles that they sell, I get the 4K of that for 1300 from a colleague who import it, however when I told them about that, they said that the item would be fake or illegal or smuggled, entered into India without paying import duties.

My thoughts: When the item is shipped through Royal mail, there is no custom charges and it is legal, can it be not the same when my colleague gets the item from abroad? I know it pinches people when others import and get it at a lower price as they are selling one copy less from their stock. :-)

Finally, at the end of the meet, I was given a Red Sparrow 4K Steel book, a HBO product book and a Excel group note pad. I too gifted the CEO with a Blu Ray and a Steel Book (3D)
Thanks given by:
ketan (08-06-2018), kiri222 (08-07-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivnedungadi View Post
7. Some of the titles that they sell, I get the 4K of that for 1300 from a colleague who import it, however when I told them about that, they said that the item would be fake or illegal or smuggled, entered into India without paying import duties.
They may be partially right in the sense that when somebody like us imports for personal use, it may escape duty based on quantity and value. But when a company is importing for sale in India, it may be going through compulsory duty evaluation and charges applied.

I can understand that Excel is in a difficult position. The physical disc market in India was never great and now with streaming and other options it dies even further. I don't know how much of the market values the advantages of PQ and SQ that physical HD/UHD formats have to offer over streaming options. Also there's a vicious cycle of low volume sales = higher prices = low volume sales etc. While the Indian market may seem big, quality-conscious and willing-to-pay-for-value market is only a small fraction. If Indian movies themselves don't do good sales on video, then can we expect Hollywood releases to do well?
Old 08-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #6

May 2009

If I were Excel, I would get out of the DVD/BD business. I doesn’t make any sense for any company to get into this for short term gains.

To ravenus’s point, it’s a vicious cycle - higher prices and low sales. I doubt companies like Excel, who’s primary focus may be to develop content, have the wherewithal to develop a niche market, while sustaining losses for some time. Clearly that’s a long term strategy and they don’t seem to be interested in that.

Edit:
By the way Rajeev, you ought to be commended for taking time and effort to do this. Being the voice of the consumer that is. I’m sure your inputs will make a difference but it takes time to penetrate the dense heads of these industry wallas

Last edited by bugsnest; 08-06-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #7

Sep 2017
Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India

It looks like they reverted their decision. All their pre-orders are priced at 799/- again.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
Expert Member

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnest View Post

Edit:
By the way Rajeev, you ought to be commended for taking time and effort to do this. Being the voice of the consumer that is. Iím sure your inputs will make a difference but it takes time to penetrate the dense heads of these industry wallas
Yep, thanks :-)
Old 08-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
Expert Member

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiri222 View Post
It looks like they reverted their decision. All their pre-orders are priced at 799/- again.
799/- is the Pre-order price, however MRP is 999/-. After the item releases, they will list it at 999/-.
Thanks given by:
kiri222 (08-07-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #10
Expert Member

Dec 2010

Just adding some more information that I missed earlier.

1. Old titles which are now being released in 4K, will be released in two editions. a. UHD Disc Only (2499/-) and b. UHD + BD (2999/-). This is because the buyer can save INR 500, if he does not want the BD or he already has it and does not want to buy it again.

2. All new UHD 4K from Excel will have both UHD and 4K at 2999/-. If the set includes a 3D disc, then the price would be 3499/-.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #11
Expert Member

Dec 2010

Some comments which tell us that the DVD @ 999 is a bad idea and more...

Last edited by rajivnedungadi; 08-19-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #12

Sep 2017

It looks like they are switching back to BD + DVD combos and simultaneously hiking their prices to 1199/-. All their latest pre-orders, such as MI 6, Venom, Searching, Creed 2, etc., have a tiny band on the top of the cover art saying so.

I'm not entirely sure how to react.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #13

Sep 2017

Few latest pre-orders of BDs like "Joker" and "Jumanji: The Next Level" are now priced at 1499 on Amazon India, but are listed at 25% off for pre-orders. Looks like another price hike to me.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #14

Nov 2016

Somewhere Excel said "Blu-ray at near-DVD price." I guess they meant the opposite or the same: DVD at near-Blu-ray price. I can't believe they're selling it at such an incredibly high price. Makes me feel bad about this because there are titles I want to buy but their rate is pulling me back. Too bad Sony DADC is closed in India, otherwise we could've at least received Avengers Endgame on Home video in India.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India