Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$41.99
15 hrs ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49
4 hrs ago
The Dallas Connection (Blu-ray)
$11.99
15 hrs ago
Enemy Gold (Blu-ray)
$11.99
15 hrs ago
Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99
13 hrs ago
The Man from the Alamo / They Came to Cordura (Blu-ray)
$11.99
15 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Hollywood Story / New Orleans Uncensored (Blu-ray)
$11.99
15 hrs ago
Dance, Girl, Dance (Blu-ray)
$29.49
4 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 10-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #1441
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

From the Shout Factory sale (I doubt I'll get them before 6 months because I'm having them sent to a friend in the US, but Shout's high prices never seem to fall on WowHD or even Amz US):

Old 10-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #1442
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Criterion flash sale. Not a huge haul but I have to rely on someone's kindness to carry to me in India (or I get busted by the customs). Haxan and 1984 I have previously seen and loved (the latter sometime in the 90's on TV, and it introduced me to the brilliance of George Orwell):

Old 10-18-2019, 03:47 AM   #1443
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

And because I have no will power, there's the Eureka horror sale orders:

Old 11-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #1444
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

I suspect I'll have Buyer's Remorse soon, especially since Crimson Peak is one Del Toro movie I'm not wholly thrilled with (even though I like it more than the general consensus, it's like his love letter to Rebecca and Gaslight, and the Gothic Melodrama in general), but at the current 16 quid odd price for the LE set with its book-like packaging, art cards and 80-page hardback with writing and more awesome artwork, my collector's greed tool hold of me

Old 11-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #1445
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

All blind orders, I have no self control.

From Amz UK:
I am not a Witch is about a little African village girl who is labeled a witch and kept in captivity to undergo some dubious rituals.
Medium Cool by Haskell Wexler is a much talked about docu-drama that captures the radical socio-politic zeitgeist of the 60's.
The Murderer Lives at 21 was on my price tracker for a long time simply on account of its being one of those strangely expensive and frequently OOS titles in Eureka's catalog. When it finally hit a sub 15-quid price through bestmediagroup (12.99 to be exact) I snapped it up, just hope the film lives up.

Eureka Nov Sale:

King of Hearts seems like it could be a delightful or irritatingly whimsical movie, about a solider tasked with defusing a bomb inside a sort of mental asylum whose trippy inhabitants bestow upon him the titular crown. Here's hoping it's the former.
Harold & Maude is the story of an unlikely friendship-romance between a depressed lad in his 20's and a devil-may-care woman in her 80's.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #1446

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
I am not a Witch is about a little African village girl who is labeled a witch and kept in captivity to undergo some dubious rituals.
I thought this was pretty good.
Thanks given by:
ravenus (11-16-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #1447
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

From Amz UK:

The Changeling is not the Angelina Jolie film but an 80's chiller from the wave of horror films with mature protagonists in the wake of the success of The Omen. George C. Scott (Patton) plays lead here. I watched this years ago, and remember it being very atmospheric in parts, although I was also a bit underwhelmed by the climax. Anyway, lessee how it goes this time.

90 in The Shade is a blind-buy but sounds interesting as a Czech New Wave film. I must admit I was also swayed by the boatload of extras including several documentary films made by the director.

Antonio Gaudi was a brilliant architect with a creative sense that eschewed convention, and director Hiroshi Teshigahara was a big admirer. Teshigahara's film is regarded as a poetic tribute to the genius of Gaudi. Should be worth the try.

Last edited by ravenus; 12-22-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #1448
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

From WowHD:

The Maltese Falcon is a classic of noir and mystery, both as the Dashiel Hammett novel and its movie adaptation by John Huston. Humphrey Bogart is in his element as hard-boiled gumshoe Sam Spade with a delightful ensemble cast that includes Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre. That Mary Astor chick ain't too bad, either . I held out a long while on this 2010 release hoping there'd be another down the line that also collected the previous adaptations of the story. I'm still a little divided, torn between hope and fear that the WAC will announce a new 4K restoration and encode. Ah well, there's just so much hand-wringing one can do, this will at least serve as a worthwhile upgrade to my DVD.

Black Christmas is a blind-buy for me but it has a reputation as one of the early American slashers, and possibly the first with a festival theme. The cast of Margot Kidder (Superman), Keir Dullea (2001 A Space Odyssey) and John Saxon (Enter the Dragon, NoES) at least suggests that this won't be simply a "horny teenagers getting hacked" flick. Shout Factory's 2-disc edition features 2 versions of the movie (although the so-called "Critical Mass" cut - which I understand is an inferior transfer with a slightly different AR - seems a waste of space) and a boatload of extras, hope it proves worthwhile.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:43 PM   #1449

Jun 2009

A couple pickups from YesAsia:

Parasite: I was so desperate to watch this film that I’d promised myself I’d import the first English-friendly bluray that’s released anywhere in the world. Turns out, it was Hong Kong that came through with it and this is now on its way.

The Last Witness: While I did pick up, watch and enjoy a couple KOFA releases of vintage Korean films, it wasn’t until I covered the London Korean Film Festival earlier this year, where they showcased a vast number of classic Korean films to celebrate 100 years of Korean cinema, that I rediscovered my love for classic Korean cinema. There is a world of cinema history waiting to be explored, and with the strict regimes and censorship rules that the country went through, the history of the country’s cinema fascinates me. KOFA are, in the Asian film fans circle, considered the Criterion Collection of film releases for the love they show to their releases. Beautiful restorations and English-friendly booklets and special features always accompany their titles. This particular film is a favourite of Park Chan-wook’s, who also recorded a feature length commentary track for it, which is included in this bluray release with English subtitles. I was missing this and it was fairly cheap in YesAsia’s sale, so I lapped it up. Since I’ve got quite a few of these now, I’ll aim to eventually get them all.

Thanks given by:
ravenus (12-31-2019)
Old 01-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #1450
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

From Amz UK, both blind-buys:

While I found his self-indulgent A Touch of Zen tedious, I enjoyed King Hu's shorter action dramas - Dragon Inn and Fate of Lee Khan - and so I'm putting my faith in the sub-100min Come Drink with Me.

Gregory's Girl seems like a nice bit of realistic adolescent romance, and hopefully not the Stalking=LOVE! kind that Bollywood favors.

Last edited by ravenus; 01-25-2020 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:09 AM   #1451

Jun 2009

Quote:
While I found his self-indulgent A Touch of Zen tedious, I enjoyed King Hu's shorter action dramas - Dragon Inn and Fate of Lee Khan - and so I'm putting my faith in the sub-100min Come Drink with Me.

Cannot agree with you about A Touch of Zen, but you'll enjoy Come Drink with Me a fair bit. I've got the missus to order this and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter as birthday gifts for me later in March.
Thanks given by:
ravenus (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 04:48 AM   #1452

Jun 2009

I was gutted when HMV went into administration last year, leaving many people with now-useless pureHMV points collected over the years. Fortunately, they introduced a scheme where people could change them into vouchers and gave us until 13th January to redeem them. Took me a while to decide what I wanted, but on the last day, I picked these up:

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood: As I mentioned in my Best of 2019 list, this wasn't the complete masterpiece the Awards ceremonies are making it out to be, but it still had a lot of fun moments and Brad Pitt truly was a joy to watch. Not the best looking steelbook, but it is what was released.

The Farewell: The story for this seems right up my alley and a few trustworthy friends have highly recommended this. The trailer does promise a beautifully shot film, which is always a plus in my book.

Uncle Boonmee Who can Recall His Past Lives: The title and the Cannes win for this film has always intrigued me but for whatever reason I have yet to see this. Thai arthouse films are an acquired taste and this film definitely seems to fit that narrative but rewatching Manta Ray on MUBI recently reminded me that I should probably check this out some point soon. Conveniently, it was reasonably priced.

The City of Lost Children: I remember getting this film off a peer-to-peer software way back in Uni but never getting around too seeing it. I do rate Jean-Pierre Jeunet's work and have enjoyed pretty much every film of his that I've seen (Except Alien Resurrection. Screw that film). This was reasonably priced and I picked it up to round off the amount I had to spend.

The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On: I actually ordered this off eBay earlier but it sadly never reached. Kazuo Hara's documentary is an eye-opener and truly tour de force filmmaking as you see the film's focal point, war veteran and anti-establishment activist Kenzo Okuzaki, trying to find the mystery surrounding the death of two fellow soldiers in his old unit via interviews with old superior officers, often literally beating the answers out of them. While I've only seen half of it earlier (due to no fault of the film but my own), the news of Second Run's release filled me with glee! This will be the first Second Run title I've bought.

Thanks given by:
ravenus (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 04:57 AM   #1453
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgenius View Post
Uncle Boonmee Who can Recall His Past Lives

The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On
Uncle Boonmee is terrific, a very soothing film, with an ability to present the fantastic as wholly natural. Manta Ray was awesome too, been hoping for a home video release ever since I saw it at MAMI 2018.

Thanks for the views on Emperor's Naked Army. In SR's catalog I would also recommend their Karel Zeman releases (unless you're picking up Criterion's compendium box). They also have some terrific East European cinema DVD's which are not out on any English-friendly HD format.

Last edited by ravenus; 01-25-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Thanks given by:
thisgenius (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 06:21 AM   #1454
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

^And some interesting Indian titles:

Thanks given by:
thisgenius (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #1455

Jun 2009

Thanks for those! I'll have to check them out. Karel Zeman films were also recommended to me by someone else, I think it was DefLeppard that did it. I'd never noticed the Criterion set for his films before but it looks interesting! I have seen Celluloid Man! I had no idea that it had had a physical media release.

I'd also like to know from those more acquainted with the label if there are any more East Asian titles that they might have released or if I'm right in thinking that The Emperor's Naked Army is the only one that Second Runs have released on blu from that region of the world.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #1456
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Their overall blu-ray releases are only a small fraction of their DVD catalog, since they got into the blu game very late. SR is from what I've heard a very tiny operation (almost only one person - Mehelli Modi, an Indian by birth - I assume everything is outsourced).

They also have Mysterious Object at Noon on blu, but I'm not enthu about that film.

Thanks given by:
thisgenius (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #1457

Jun 2009

Quote:
Their overall blu-ray releases are only a small fraction of their DVD catalog, since they got into the blu game very late. SR is from what I've heard a very tiny operation (almost only one person - Mehelli Modi, an Indian by birth - I assume everything is outsourced).

They also have Mysterious Object at Noon on blu, but I'm not enthu about that film.

I'd love for them to release more East Asian films on blu, or even rarer ones of DVD would do. I'd love to support them more.

Aah yes, there's the Weerasethakul film too. I already have that on the Criterion WCP boxset. Yet to get around to seeing it though.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #1458
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgenius View Post
I'd love for them to release more East Asian films on blu, or even rarer ones of DVD would do. I'd love to support them more.
You can see their releases HERE. While it's not possible to sort or refine, you can manually search the page for countries whose films you are interested in. Asian releases are quite few - Iran, India, China, Thailand (mostly Apichatpong's).

Mysterious Object was shot in 16mm I think, but the source for the restoration is some 35mm dupe negative with burned in subs and window-boxed. It's not a pretty sight, but it's the best you'll get. After you watch the film, I'd be curious to know your opinion of it.

Last edited by ravenus; 01-27-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Thanks given by:
thisgenius (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #1459

Jun 2009

Quote:
You can see their releases HERE.

After you watch the film, I'd be curious to know your opinion of it.
Oh man, thanks very much for that link! I had been wanting to see Black Snow for so long and had no idea it had had a physical media release! The other Chinese film Here, Then is one I had not heard of but seems pretty interesting. I'll be picking them both up.

For sure, I'll try to write down my thoughts once I get round to seeing it. It might be a while though, since I'm currently in the process of moving houses and all the blus are presently boxed up.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #1460
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Black Snow's synopsis makes it sound like a companion to Shinoda's Pale Flower.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India