Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
1 hr ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
14 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
15 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Orphen: Complete Collection SD (Blu-ray)
$10.99

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Motherless Brooklyn (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
Why Don't You Just Die! (Blu-ray)
$21.99
6 hrs ago
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$29.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 03-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #41

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
A Dangerous Method, David Cronenberg's film on the schism between Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud and it's possible roots in Jung's affair with his patient Sabina Spielrein who later became a renowned psychoanalyst in her own right. The film looks great and I'm a sucker for Michael Fassbender but underneath the sumptuous production values and erudite dialog is really a soap opera more than anything else, and Kiera Knightley's depiction of Sabina Spielrein makes it look like she was suffering from that all-too-common collection of nervous tics and contrived mannerisms called Oscar Nominitis Syndrome.
you watched this on bluray or in theater?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #42
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale - There's little better way to describe the film other than to borrow Ebert's line: an R-rated Santa Claus origin story crossed with 'The Thing'. The payoff isn't all there, but it was a fun enough oddball Christmas film.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #43
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Saw Mirch Masala on DVD this afternoon with my mum and we had a great time. I was prompted to write a small piece on the film itself and why I think it's a great movie in the classic Bollywood tradition.

My thoughts on Mirch Masala

That apart, a few words on the DVD. The image is mostly pleasing, though there is noticeable strobing/ghosting when the camera pans fast. Texture is OK, not great. Colors and contrast are better than on all previous releases, although brightness sometimes washes out detail. Sound is clean stereo. The digital restoration was supervised by Jehangir Chowdhari, the original DoP for the film.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #44
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Hmm, this is getting to be one lonely thread. So you guys wait for blu-rays, buy blu-rays but don't actually watch them?

Anyway I saw the Indian BD release of Woody Allen's Manhattan. From the review of the US version on this site the Indian release seems pretty much the same. A strong high-contrast transfer, some shots seem a little too dark and occasionally the grain is heavy but it's very pleasing and film-like on the whole. The DTS-HD 2.0 track is clean and the score comes off well, although again not one to demo your HT system. I find that I have to raise the volume higher than usual for all the dialog to be properly audible.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #45
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

Watched the 'The Art of Flight' BD and what an experience it was. The film is about a bunch of people doing extreme snowboarding, pushing all the boundaries and challenging nature in unimaginable ways. I am not much into snow sports but after watching this, I was gobsmacked. It features stunning HD film making in some of the most scenic places on earth.

PQ: Shot in documentary style, this BD is reference quality with jaw-dropping image quality. The clarity, sharpness and colours just pop out of the screen. The slo motion shots are a treat in HD. Planet Earth and Life is excellent in HD, but after seeing this you'd wish that the same cameras were used for Planet Earth and Life.

AQ: It features a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track and is one of the best TueHD track I have ever heard. It is robust, refined and a treat to listen to. The track uses some music in the background and the clarity is awesome. A reference quality audio track.

This BD is an example of what this technology can offer and it demonstrates that in spades. A perfect demo-worthy disc. I will get my copy soon from US.

Will watch Lebanon or Sherlock Season 2 tonight.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #46
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Saw Paprika on BD. This is another mind-blowing film from Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent). The story is incredibly convoluted and at times hard to follow, but visually the film is always throwing lots of stuff to arrest the eye. Can be repeatedly seen to get different perspectives about the story.

Sony's US BD looks very good BUT is for some reason the 16:9 transfer is windowboxed. Otherwise no complaints. Dolby TrueHD tracks in Japanese and English - this is one of the anime films where I prefer to watch with the English track because there's so much happening on screen it becomes difficult to keep track with subs.
Some decent sounding extras including a commentary and making of. Have yet to see them.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #47
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

watched Love Breakups Zindagi yesterday on DVD.the movie was just average had nothing new to offer but it did had some good moments but they were few and far from each other. A one time watch if you don't have anything else to do the music (Salim-Sulaiman) was good and the background score (Clinton Crejo) was OK... PQ of DVD by Eros was pretty good and so Was the AQ

Movie 2.25/5
PQ 3.0/5
AQ 4.0/5
Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #48
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

Saw 'Lebanon' last night. I saw it when it came out in 2009 on DVD and this time it was on Blu Ray.

The film is set at the beginning of the first Lebanon war and is focussed primarily on four young Israeli soldiers who have never fought a war before and were tasked to operate a tank to sweep whatever is left of a city in Lebanon bombed by the Israeli air force. The soldiers are pushed to their mental limits as the film moves forward while director Samuel Maoz paints a physical, visceral, intimate and sensual film amidst the chaos in minds of the soldiers inside the tank.

Some may find it claustrophobic since it is shot almost entirely within a tank, but that is exactly what is intended by the director. First time viewers should not expect it to be a crash bang boom glorified war movie, since the movie is not at all about that. A group of people complained about the lack of a message in the film, but I think they simply missed the point - the film is not about giving a message but to leave it to the viewers to think of their own takeaway from the film. Recommended.

Note: The film has a few extreme scenes of a graphic nature and must be seen by mature viewers only.

PQ: Excellent gritty rendition. 95% movie was shot inside the tank and it is very well captured with excellent detail. Blacks are inky and shadow definition is excellent considering most of the action is inside the tank which is supposed to look dark anyway.

AQ: This is top notch for what it is. The amount of explosions and gun fire is limited, but there are lot of other effects that will make one feel right inside the tank while this is all happening. Watch out for the scene where the helicopter lands and the hatch is opened. It was one of the most impressive effect I have heard. It sounded so much superior on the 5.1 DTS HDMA track, that I felt like I was watching it all over again.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #49

Mar 2012

saw Ra-One the other night on BD, PQ was 7 a bit grainy SQ was really punchy impressive 8.5 Film itself about 6.5 /10 -Movie it self was quite enjoyable but i think 2nd half ended was a bit short...
Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #50

Mar 2012
Default Blu-Ray you last watched...

I think this film have good factors as many as bad factor as well.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #51
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

Saw 'Wake up Sid' BD last night. I have seen it several times by now and consider it as one of the top Hindi BDs in my humble collection.

Just now received dispatch notification from LF - 'The Tin Drum' and 'The Man who fell to Earth' BDs should arrive tomorrow. This is going to be a good week...
Old 03-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #52

Sep 2007
Coimbatore,India
Send a message via MSN to varunrdas
Default My first telugu movie

Saw dookudu... was good.. it was my first telugu movie in the BR collection.. worthy addition certainly.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Johannesburg - South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibap View Post
Just now received dispatch notification from LF - 'The Tin Drum' and 'The Man who fell to Earth' BDs should arrive tomorrow. This is going to be a good week...
Awesome Anibap, i have been wanting this movie for a while now, please do let me know your thoughts!!

Had a few of my nephews and nieces over this evening, the normally play PS3 games, but i was in the mood to watch a movie. I gave them a choice from 'Jumanji', 'Hook' and 'Mars Needs Moms'. They went with Jumanji. I have had the blu ray for a while, but didnt watch it yet. I watched this movie a while back on DVD. I wondered whether it will hold their attention, nevertheless they thouroughly enjoyed the movie (and so did i ). The blu ray was a worthy upgrade from DVD. The movie held their attention with gaping mouths, some shockers and really good entertainment.

PQ: Picture quality was definitely great. Decent amounts of grain, bright colours. In fact the PQ was so good, you could make out the 'fakier' CGI, but great still.

AQ: DTS-MA 5.1, AQ was just about ok, action scenes were quite load, thunderous bass. The scene where the lion appears is amazing. the reason i say ok, is becuase the dialogues were not too clear so i had to raise the volume, but when the action scenes came, i had to lower the volume, so it was up and down.

Movie: 4/5
PQ: 4/5
AQ: 3.5/5

Great Blu ray from Sony UK.

I am planning to watch Barton Fink later. Love the Coen Brothers movies. The Big Lebowski was awesome!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #54
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrat_Boy View Post
Awesome Anibap, i have been wanting this movie for a while now, please do let me know your thoughts!!
I will post my thoughts for sure. Jumanji was quite a hit when it came out in Cinema. I was in my first year of college and it was a fun movie.

Last night I watched Cars 2 on BD.

Movie: I was able to make out why the ratings are low for Cars 2 and why many viewers were left disappointed. The main plot and few thematic elements are definitely not for kids and it deviated from the generic expectation viewers had on this as a sequel. On top of that, shifting the focus from McQueen to Mater, left lot of fans and kids unhappy sitting around with ramblings of 'rusty' old Mater and many were also disappointed with limited scope given to the characters of Radiator Springs that made the first movie a huge success with a heart warming story.

Having said all that, I actually liked the film and it was quite an entertaining one if not a great one. The spy angle was quite fun with Michael Caine's voice-over. At times, it tried hard to do justice as a family entertainer and faltered to marry the intended and the expected theme into one package. A lot has been said about this film in a negative way, but I think it is not necessary always to have a sequel re-establish the same point or recreate the same theme especially when the first film has already managed to do that so well. The film should have been marketed differently IMHO.

PQ: A reference class for animation and perhaps the best so far. One thing I really liked was how Disney kept the sharpness at an optimal but moderate level making the image look more filmic and not digital without compromising on detail and clarity. Top job.

AQ: An absolute treat and reference quality. Some of the race scenes just filled my room with sonic marvel. Certain actions involving metallic parts and gadgets were rendered to perfection.

A good entertaining animated film that shifted from the expected mark by a good margin, but I liked it.

Rating
Movie : 3.5
PQ : 5
AQ :5
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #55
Special Member

May 2010
Bangalore
Talking

Quote:

Movie: I was able to make out why the ratings are low for Cars 2 and why many viewers were left disappointed. The main plot and few thematic elements are definitely not for kids and it deviated from the generic expectation viewers had on this as a sequel. On top of that, shifting the focus from McQueen to Mater, left lot of fans and kids unhappy sitting around with ramblings of 'rusty' old Mater and many were also disappointed with limited scope given to the characters of Radiator Springs that made the first movie a huge success with a heart warming story.

Having said all that, I actually liked the film and it was quite an entertaining one if not a great one. The spy angle was quite fun with Michael Caine's voice-over. At times, it tried hard to do justice as a family entertainer and faltered to marry the intended and the expected theme into one package. A lot has been said about this film in a negative way, but I think it is not necessary always to have a sequel re-establish the same point or recreate the same theme especially when the first film has already managed to do that so well. The film should have been marketed differently IMHO.
Wow Wow!! i never knew u were into animation as well!! Thanks for sharing your thots especially on this particular film. I for one absolutely adore animated films to the core cause many of them do entertain better than most of the big time successful live action films. The first 'Cars' AMOF is the best animated film of my life yet and i must have watched it on blu ray like a zillion times .... and I was naturally mad to watch Cars 2 on day 1 in cinemas.... I did and was disappointed like most people for the same reasons u stated. Further, was immensely disappointed by 3D more than anything . However I noticed during the same viewing that this particular animated film especially in 2D had all the image properties to make perhaps the greatest blu ray in the world. I am glad to hear from you that it really did. this movie had one of the most amazing color composition for an animated film. U name any shade of any color on the planet and i am sure u ll find in this film. How i wish the movie had the repeat viewing quality to it. This is where the almost simultaneously released Kung Fu Panda 2 - both in form and content, beat cars 2 left right and center. By far the most entertaining animated film of 2011 for me. Wud love to hear your thoughts on this title as well.

Last edited by Anurag1700; 03-14-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #56
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
I will post my thoughts for sure. Jumanji was quite a hit when it came out in Cinema. I was in my first year of college and it was a fun movie.

PQ: A reference class for animation and perhaps the best so far. One thing I really liked was how Disney kept the sharpness at an optimal but moderate level making the image look more filmic and not digital without compromising on detail and clarity. Top job.

AQ: An absolute treat and reference quality. Some of the race scenes just filled my room with sonic marvel. Certain actions involving metallic parts and gadgets were rendered to perfection.

A good entertaining animated film that shifted from the expected mark by a good margin, but I liked it.

Rating
Movie : 3.5
PQ : 5
AQ :5

even i watched cars 2 a few days back but never wrote about it.... i did'nt liked the movie much...but then i did'nt even liked cars 1 as well so....

i agree with you though on THE PQ which was great but IMO audio could have been a little more punchier which would have done even more justice to the visuals...

my take on that

Movie 2.0/5
PQ 4.5/5 (i would have preferred that sharper digital look of the animation rather than the filmic look...otherwise it was great)
AQ 3.75/5 (i've told the reason for that)

the animated film i love the most would be Tangled! i just loved that movie,the animation,the music!! it was all fantastic..... i've watched it like 3-4 times and i still love it

I'd rate that

Movie 4.5/5
PQ 5.0/5
AQ 4.5/5
Music 4.0/5
Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #57
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Watched The Three Musketeers (2011) yesterday and i'am Really imressed!!

The Movie
i just loved the movie from start to end....there rarely is a Dull moment and the pace of the movie is commendable.it entertained me to the fullest and i love it for that.

The Visuals
The movie is a treat to watch .... the visuals are just astonishing and have this *WOW FACTOR* in them...the colours pop out of the screen and the visual scale of the movie is grand...the production design is excellent!

The Audio
It was excellent.a great audio track i've heard after so long.it surely is reference grade for me....the surround usage is great and it is really loud at times and i just love it! though the track is loud its dynamics are great and it is incredibly Refined!

SO IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FROM MY SIDE
And i do agree with Blu-ray.com review of this Blu ray https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-T...Blu-ray/32750/

that even if you dont like the movie...get this for the audio and video which are a treat to watch!

My rating
Movie: 4.0/5
PQ : 5.0/5
AQ : 5.0/5
Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #58

Nov 2010

KANK > Kabhi alvida kehna from yrf

Actually,this won the worst BD i have ever seen.. over haunted & yavarum nalam.

PQ : Over use of DNR.. very avg quality.. 2.25/5

AQ : Simply Rocked !! the output is 5.1 DTS HD.. but feels like dolby stereo.. worst audio quality i have seen it on a bluray. it doesn't even deserve 0.5 . 0/5

Last edited by Seven star; 03-15-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #59
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven star View Post
KANK > Kabhi alvida kehna from yrf

Actually,this won the worst BD i have ever seen.. over haunted & yavarum nalam.

PQ : Over use of DNR.. very avg quality.. 2.25/5

AQ : Simply Rocked !! the output is 5.1 DTS HD.. but feels like dolby stereo.. worst audio quality i have seen it on a bluray. it doesn't even deserve 0.5 . 0/5
you surely have something wrong with your audio set-up dude! the audio ON KANK was not Bad at all! i re-watched through its songs and i'll rate it 4.25/5! anywayzz ur right on the PQ though
Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #60

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyansh View Post
you surely have something wrong with your audio set-up dude! the audio ON KANK was not Bad at all! i re-watched through its songs and i'll rate it 4.25/5! anywayzz ur right on the PQ though
Songs were superb but so disappointed with the 5.1 usage & u rate it 4.5 ???
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India