Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99
15 hrs ago
Dodsworth (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 hr ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49
 
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
 
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49
 
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
22 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49
 
Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection, Volume One (Blu-ray)
$21.49
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2015, 06:49 AM   #21
ravenus ravenus is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
ravenus's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
India
6
1036
296
91
5
Default

^I've always suspected they throw darts at a board to decide how much duty to charge a shipment.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
kaykaysud (04-22-2015)
Old 07-28-2017, 06:36 AM   #22
kaykaysud kaykaysud is offline
Special Member
 
kaykaysud's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Kochi, KL, IN
15
418
11
40
Default

Sorry for "necro-posting" again... but it seems that ordering from Amazon.com has become even more of a headache for those who import, now that GST has come into play for even the import fee deposits.

So yeah, tread with caution on Amazon.com, use WowHD more often and import from Amazon UK except when the American release of a film ends up being superior to the UK one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #23
rajivnedungadi rajivnedungadi is offline
Expert Member
 
Dec 2010
84
1279
919
52
6
5
4
Default

Ordered a Blu Ray box set worth 2400.

Below cost added to my package.

10% customs duty.

28% Gst on import

DHL service charges INR 500

GST @18% on DHL service charges.

Total extra charges INR 1586. This is pathetic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #24
kaykaysud kaykaysud is offline
Special Member
 
kaykaysud's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Kochi, KL, IN
15
418
11
40
Default

^

Oh!

Was it from Amazon US or UK?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #25
ravenus ravenus is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
ravenus's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
India
6
1036
296
91
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivnedungadi View Post
Ordered a Blu Ray box set worth 2400.

Below cost added to my package.

10% customs duty.

28% Gst on import

DHL service charges INR 500

GST @18% on DHL service charges.

Total extra charges INR 1586. This is pathetic.
Damn, worried about the order I made 3 weeks ago at the B&N sale now. Oh well, that's once it is actually delivered to me
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #26
nishant786 nishant786 is offline
Active Member
 
nishant786's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Mumbai, India.
13
89
1862
2
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Damn, worried about the order I made 3 weeks ago at the B&N sale now. Oh well, that's once it is actually delivered to me
Im shitting bricks as well. Went overboard this time and the f**ktards at BN suck at shipping.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #27
DefLeppard DefLeppard is offline
Power Member
 
DefLeppard's Avatar
 
Mar 2014
16
1433
29
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivnedungadi View Post
Ordered a Blu Ray box set worth 2400.

Below cost added to my package.

10% customs duty.

28% Gst on import

DHL service charges INR 500

GST @18% on DHL service charges.

Total extra charges INR 1586. This is pathetic.
DHL Express used to be very good a couple of years ago but now they are the jokers of logistic business; my last order costed about INR 750 from amazon-uk but the import fee including whatever bulls**t they specified in that PDF mail attachment was about INR 1100. I tried convincing that fee was already paid but DHL was simply not ready to accept it hence I refused the delivery ;I guess the parcel was lying in the warehouse .Meanwhile I wrote an email to amazon-UK explaining this extortion by DHL express and sought their help to get my item ;Amazon-UK assured me that they are going to contact the carrier and have this delivered without me paying extra money.After this I didn't follow up with Amazon however DHL delivered this item to me after 5 days without asking me to pay the fee ; Luckily the package and the content was intact.

If your order was Amazon,then i'd suggest you to contact the CS highlighting this ,you may probably be entitled to import fee refund!

Not sure about other states/places; entertainment related goods such as CD/DVD/blu-ray are duty free in Karnataka unless the package is very big ( I had to pay 1000 INR for the ABBA vinyl box set from Amazon-italy). This is only based on my experience and am not going by the book.

Also after this GST implementation ,Amazon-US's import fee deposit has been soared to about 65% of the item value!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #28
susi2804 susi2804 is offline
Member
 
Jul 2011
3
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy5684 View Post

//Also after this GST implementation ,Amazon-US's import fee deposit has been soared to about 65% of the item value!//
recently i have ordered 4k bluray(suicide squad - 15 pounds + shipping charge only) from amazon.co.uk and surprisingly i received the same without any import fees.

now i have to think twice before placing an order from amazon.us due to high import fee deposit. so sad......
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #29
DefLeppard DefLeppard is offline
Power Member
 
DefLeppard's Avatar
 
Mar 2014
16
1433
29
9
Default

European Amazon sites doesn't automatically calculates import fee deposit for standard shipping as of now. Nevertheless import fee is at the discretion of custom officials; if the package (shipped through std mail) attract attentions like bulky or bigger ones as I mentioned earlier are bound to bear the burden of import fees.

Man it is so frustrating that $10 item will costs approx $30 post GST !!
I will post some screenshots of the order at Amazon-US before and after July 1st in sometime..
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:58 PM   #30
rajivnedungadi rajivnedungadi is offline
Expert Member
 
Dec 2010
84
1279
919
52
6
5
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykaysud View Post
^

Oh!

Was it from Amazon US or UK?
Amazon UK.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:03 AM   #31
rajivnedungadi rajivnedungadi is offline
Expert Member
 
Dec 2010
84
1279
919
52
6
5
4
Default

If Amazon UK ships it through Royal Mail, I have never had to pay customs and the postman delivers it to me. Only when the items are shipped through DHL or UPS they charge customs. I am not sure why they use courier when I choose standard delivery.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:45 AM   #32
kaykaysud kaykaysud is offline
Special Member
 
kaykaysud's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Kochi, KL, IN
15
418
11
40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivnedungadi View Post
If Amazon UK ships it through Royal Mail, I have never had to pay customs and the postman delivers it to me. Only when the items are shipped through DHL or UPS they charge customs. I am not sure why they use courier when I choose standard delivery.
I had the same issue once, with the disc price (800) and custom duty (800!) adding up to 1600 in total, as it was dispatched via DHL in spite of choosing the Standard shipping option. So contacted Amazon UK and sent the DHL customs duty receipt upon their request, and they promptly refunded the duty. But if the duty is levied on those shipped via Royal Mail, Amazon won't help much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:26 AM   #33
rajivnedungadi rajivnedungadi is offline
Expert Member
 
Dec 2010
84
1279
919
52
6
5
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykaysud View Post
I had the same issue once, with the disc price (800) and custom duty (800!) adding up to 1600 in total, as it was dispatched via DHL in spite of choosing the Standard shipping option. So contacted Amazon UK and sent the DHL customs duty receipt upon their request, and they promptly refunded the duty. But if the duty is levied on those shipped via Royal Mail, Amazon won't help much.
When I called DHL in the yesterday morning to check the customs amount and asked them when they would deliver, they said "whenever you can keep the cash ready". I asked them if they could deliver in the evening, he said, "we ca deliver it today, but you have the cash ready right?". I said yes and then they confirmed delivery.

Few minutes before they delivered, the delivery guy called and said he is going to deliver the package and he again asked "is the cash ready"?. I was so pissed off with that I told him that they have been asking me about this since morning and asked him to come.

DHL also has this thing where they ask people to upload KYC documents and only after that the shipment is delivered.

I did have a chat with the amazon customer service. My intension was to complain about DHL and their attitude and about the above part. The rep there understood my concern and she asked me to send the receipt from DHL, I did the same. Within the next few minutes, she refunded the whole amount that I paid DHL.

So finally I will get the 1586 INR credited back.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #34
Harvey Dent Harvey Dent is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2008
15
1201
3
Default

Hope u get your order in time. My big B&N sale order went missing in transit even after choosing expedited international shipping. However they were prompt to issue a refund

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Damn, worried about the order I made 3 weeks ago at the B&N sale now. Oh well, that's once it is actually delivered to me
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #35
Jafar Jafar is offline
Senior Member
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
7
359
68
Default

My last blu package worth $60 which was delivered through local post office arrived with a poorly hand written slip attached saying 40% customs duty amounting to Rs 2200 was due. Gotta love these impeccable calculations by our beloved customs dept. They certainly know their math.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #36
prepress prepress is offline
Expert Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Feb 2013
India
898
2
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivnedungadi View Post
[Show spoiler]When I called DHL in the yesterday morning to check the customs amount and asked them when they would deliver, they said "whenever you can keep the cash ready". I asked them if they could deliver in the evening, he said, "we ca deliver it today, but you have the cash ready right?". I said yes and then they confirmed delivery.

Few minutes before they delivered, the delivery guy called and said he is going to deliver the package and he again asked "is the cash ready"?. I was so pissed off with that I told him that they have been asking me about this since morning and asked him to come.

DHL also has this thing where they ask people to upload KYC documents and only after that the shipment is delivered.


I did have a chat with the amazon customer service. My intension was to complain about DHL and their attitude and about the above part. The rep there understood my concern and she asked me to send the receipt from DHL, I did the same. Within the next few minutes, she refunded the whole amount that I paid DHL.

So finally I will get the 1586 INR credited back.
I am going through all this pain. After uploading KYC documents two days back, I just received a call from DHL guy that I have to pay custom duty of 2462/- INR on delivery. The worst thing is the order was 3240/- including shipping and the items cost was around 2350/-, so the duty is more than 100%

I never got charged if order was shipped via Royal mail but don't know why my this and next order is also shipped through DHL, even I chose Standard Delivery as usual while ordering.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #37
ravenus ravenus is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
ravenus's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
India
6
1036
296
91
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I just received a call from DHL guy that I have to pay custom duty of 2462/- INR on delivery. The worst thing is the order was 3240/- including shipping and the items cost was around 2350/-, so the duty is more than 100%
Duty is charged on Item + Shipping. Still it works out more than 75%. Looks like Modi Sarkar has significantly increased the targets to be met by customs. Because they are already taking bribes from the real smugglers for bypassing the shipments, they're trying to meet the target by extracting more funds from individual buyers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #38
prepress prepress is offline
Expert Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Feb 2013
India
898
2
1
1
Default

As Royal Mail has no additional charges but DHL goes with process/through custom clearance... Is it because of carrier standard?
It looks like "No one bothers to check Third Class General Bogie Passenger's luggage (थैला) but Plane travelers has to go through Check In/Out process".
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #39
kaykaysud kaykaysud is offline
Special Member
 
kaykaysud's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Kochi, KL, IN
15
418
11
40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
As Royal Mail has no additional charges but DHL goes with process/through custom clearance... Is it because of carrier standard?
It looks like "No one bothers to check Third Class General Bogie Passenger's luggage (थैला) but Plane travelers has to go through Check In/Out process".
I guess customs clearance is mandatory for any trackable shipments, regardless of the actual cost of the item. So while packages shipped via Royal Mail rarely goes into that phase (as they can't be tracked, and hence considered ordinary post), the ones shipped via DHL have tracking data, and are hence, charged by customs. You can send a scan of the DHL customs duty receipt to Amazon UK customer service to get a refund.

And a customs duty of INR 2462 charged against a shipment worth 3240 is, in the most decent terms, downright f***ing nuts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #40
ravenus ravenus is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
ravenus's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
India
6
1036
296
91
5
Default

The most I had to pay once is 1100 for a shipment totalling 1800 (that was an Amz UK purchase sent by Royal Mail, go figure). You can be sure I wasn't happy about it. I've paid higher amounts but for higher package values, like the first and last occasion I ordered 4 BD's from a B&N Criterion sale, percentage-wise it worked out to ~45%.

But in recent years I have restricted direct India imports to Amz UK or Arrow, and I haven't had to pay any duty in the longest while, touchwood.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 AM.