Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99
13 hrs ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96

3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
19 hrs ago
Deepwater Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 hr ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay0864 View Post
Yes I do. A 'floor standing' speaker is not necessary, but a full frequency response speaker is ideal for all channels. It is for budgetary, space or aesthetic reasons that people chose to have limited frequency response, wall mounted speakers for the surround channels.
okay
In our Home Theater we'll also be getting the wall mountable surrounds(Due to aesthetic reasons because by no way i think we can keep floor standings at the sides without them looking a bit awkward) but i just wondered why can't we get the JBL PRO surround used in theaters. so called the JBL PRO Guys and got the quote for JBL 8320 which has a frequency response of 50HZ TO 20KHZ. Does this qualify as full range? coz i dont think anything below 50hz is frequently fed to the surrounds (if ever).

http://asia.jblpro.com/catalog/Gener...?PId=277&MId=1

Other than this what Brand can i possibly get if not JBL. I'm not finding any other easily available in INDIA

I've shortlisted these for our HT .Comments about them are most welcome

The list is Tentative since the purchase will be made in about a year or few months from now

FRONTS
JBL STUDIO 590 BK

CENTER
JBL LS CENTER

SUB(s)
2x JBL LS 120P

Surrounds (SIDES AND REAR)
JBL PRO 8320

Which will make the set-up 7.2 channels and the reciever will be Denon and PJ Panasonic pt ae-7200

The total budget for equipment is about 5-6 lakhs (incl speakers,PJ,Reciever) . Please comment and sujjest guys.

Last edited by divyansh; 09-20-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyansh View Post
okay
In our Home Theater we'll also be getting the wall mountable surrounds(Due to aesthetic reasons because by no way i think we can keep floor standings at the sides without them looking a bit awkward) but i just wondered why can't we get the JBL PRO surround used in theaters. so called the JBL PRO Guys and got the quote for JBL 8320 which has a frequency response of 50HZ TO 20KHZ. Does this qualify as full range? coz i dont think anything below 50hz is frequently fed to the surrounds (if ever).

Other than this what Brand can i possibly get if not JBL. I'm not finding any other easily available in INDIA

The list is Tentative since the purchase will be made in about a year or few months from now

FRONTS
JBL STUDIO 590 BK

CENTER
JBL LS CENTER

SUB(s)
2x JBL LS 120P

JBL PRO 8320

Which will make the set-up 7.2 channels and the reciever will be Denon and PJ Panasonic pt ae-7200

The total budget for equipment is about 5-6 lakhs (incl speakers,PJ,Reciever) . Please comment and sujjest guys.
Panasonic ae7000 has terrible ghosting when it comes to 3D.
You don't need full range speakers as anything below 50hz will go to the subwoofer. As frequencies below 20hz are felt not heard, that's how it should be done. Go for Polk if you want to. They sounded much better than other brands that I demoed. Quite frankly, theatres have crappy video,3d and audio. Don't spend too much on a projector as 4K displays are very close (1 or 2 years away). Also Onkyo>Denon. Denon has problems decoding audio on certain discs such as Dts hd-ma 6.1 on the Star Wars set. The Panasonic projector costs around 6 lakhs in India btw.

LCOS is awesome when it comes to contrast but it has crosstalk/ghosting in 3D. Same goes for LCD projectors. 3-chip DLP is great as you get awesome colors, great contrast and GHOSTING/CROSSTALK FREE 3D.
Have you thought about using a PC instead of a blu-ray player? You won't have to worry about region locking, you'll get to customize the hardware and software and you'll be able to calibrate the colors to a greater extent as well.
Once you do the 'seeking' with a mouse on the timeline, you'll never go back to using a remote with chapter skip and forward buttons .
Old 09-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #23
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
Panasonic ae7000 has terrible ghosting when it comes to 3D.
You don't need full range speakers as anything below 50hz will go to the subwoofer. As frequencies below 20hz are felt not heard, that's how it should be done. Go for Polk if you want to. They sounded much better than other brands that I demoed. Quite frankly, theatres have crappy video,3d and audio. Don't spend too much on a projector as 4K displays are very close (1 or 2 years away). Also Onkyo>Denon. Denon has problems decoding audio on certain discs such as Dts hd-ma 6.1 on the Star Wars set. The Panasonic projector costs around 6 lakhs in India btw.

LCOS is awesome when it comes to contrast but it has crosstalk/ghosting in 3D. Same goes for LCD projectors. 3-chip DLP is great as you get awesome colors, great contrast and GHOSTING/CROSSTALK FREE 3D.
Have you thought about using a PC instead of a blu-ray player? You won't have to worry about region locking, you'll get to customize the hardware and software and you'll be able to calibrate the colors to a greater extent as well.
Once you do the 'seeking' with a mouse on the timeline, you'll never go back to using a remote with chapter skip and forward buttons .
Thank You for your feedback and I'll now consider ONKYO before going with DENON and the pt ae 7000 u's MRP is 250000 and i guess will cost lower when i'll make my purchase (my guess is below 2 lakhs maybe)
and NO i'am not very keen with the idea of using a PC as blu-ray player i'am happy with my sony BDP and would buy the same then but seeing the issues with many movies (the avenger's indian BD for instance) i may have to consider using a PC for this job

As far as speakers go i trust JBL for what they are giving for the price (Front and center speakers with horn loaded drivers! )

Last edited by divyansh; 09-30-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #24
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurag1700 View Post
Great. Thanks for clarifying that. So one last question- (If Budget is not a constraint) whats the definition of a full frequency response speaker? I mean suppose I have to buy one tomorrow, what shd be the range I am looking for ? As far as I have seen, budget speakers start from 45Hz as starting of frequency range, shd i be looking as low as 10Hz starting ? which i think I have seen in only high end subwoofers ?
You should be good with speakers that can go down to about 40Hz, i.e. as long as you have sub-woofer for the .1 channel.

Last edited by sanjay0864; 10-01-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #25
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
Most LCD projectors result in crosstalk/ghosting when it comes to 3D. Always go for a DLP projector.
I beg to differ. I have the Panasonic PT-AE7000 and the 3D quality is excellent. Crosstalk/Ghosting if any, is quite rare and very minimal.

Quote:
1080p 3D isn't that pricey anymore. But don't spend too much like on Panasonic one, which go upto 7lakhs.
You seem to be poorly informed. The Panasonic PT-AE7000 is easily available for around 1.85 lakhs.

Quote:
I'm skipping 1080p and directly going for 4k. The jump from 720p to 4k would be substantial whereas the difference between 720p and 1080p projectors is minimal at best.(HDTVs however have a significant difference in quality between 720p and 1080p.)
The difference between 720p and 1080p is most certainly not just minimal and the benefits are in fact clearly visible on screens larger than 50 inches, when viewed from the appropriate distance for the screen size.

Quote:
I say, don't spend too much on a projector right now as 4k is just over the horizon.
Even if you go 720p, you're not 'settling' as you can see that the images look excellent.
There is no 'checkerboard effect' as some may believe.
I am sorry but this is not really good advice. The fact is, that in today's time, 720p is most certainly "settling". As far as the 4k projectors are concerned, they maybe over the horizon, but certainly not at any reasonable prices any time soon. Additionally, if you find the benefits of 1080p over 720p to be minimal, then you will find that the benefits of 4k over 2k are even lesser. In any case, you are not going to have a genuine 4k source anytime in the near future. Entirely new technologies would need to be invented/developed for 4k to be delivered to our homes. Thus putting off a 1080p projector purchase in anticipation of 4k is totally unwarranted and actually quite silly.

PS: I mean no offense by my post. I merely want to clarify the facts, so that others can make more informed decisions.

Last edited by sanjay0864; 10-01-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #26
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
okay

FRONTS
JBL STUDIO 590 BK

CENTER
JBL LS CENTER

SUB(s)
2x JBL LS 120P

JBL PRO 8320

For the speakers, don't restrict your choice to just JBLs. There are other brands equally good and even better. For the receiver, you cannot go wrong with Denon and the same goes for Panasonic projectors. When you are actually ready to build your home theater, contact me and I will gladly help in the designing, i.e. if you need and want my help. I may also be able to help in sourcing the equipment at good prices, since I know quite a few people in the trade.

Last edited by sanjay0864; 10-01-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #27
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
For the speakers, don't restrict your choice to just JBLs. There are other brands equally good and even better. For the receiver, you cannot go wrong with Denon and the same goes for Panasonic projectors. When you are actually ready to build your home theater, contact me and I will gladly help in the designing, i.e. if you need and want my help. I may also be able to help in sourcing the equipment at good prices, since I know quite a few people in the trade.
sent you a PM
Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
I beg to differ. I have the Panasonic PT-AE7000 and the 3D quality is excellent. Crosstalk/Ghosting if any, is quite rare and very minimal.

You seem to be poorly informed. The Panasonic PT-AE7000 is easily available for around 1.85 lakhs.

The difference between 720p and 1080p is most certainly not just minimal and the benefits are in fact clearly visible on screens larger than 50 inches, when viewed from the appropriate distance for the screen size.

I am sorry but this is not really good advice. The fact is, that in today's time, 720p is most certainly "settling". As far as the 4k projectors are concerned, they maybe over the horizon, but certainly not at any reasonable prices any time soon. Additionally, if you find the benefits of 1080p over 720p to be minimal, then you will find that the benefits of 4k over 2k are even lesser. In any case, you are not going to have a genuine 4k source anytime in the near future. Entirely new technologies would need to be invented/developed for 4k to be delivered to our homes. Thus putting off a 1080p projector purchase in anticipation of 4k is totally unwarranted and actually quite silly.

PS: I mean no offense by my post. I merely want to clarify the facts, so that others can make more informed decisions.
DLP is much better than LCOS when it comes to 3D. When watching parallax heavy movies, ghosting is present. Why settle for minimal ghosting when you can have zero ghosting? (There are actually numerous threads dedicated to severe ghosting on the ae7000u.)
I never said there wasn't a difference between 720p and 1080p. I'm also aware of the checkerboard effect and pixel density. 4K is currently priced way too high but that is going to change in 2 years. Blu-ray players that upscale to 4K are already rolling out and it won't be long before 4K blu-rays come out as BD-100s are available.
If he's spending 7lakhs, I doubt he's planning to upgrade again in another 5years. I've seen 4K and the jump from 1080p to 4k is far greater than the jump from 720p to 1080p.
When I got my projector, there were no 3D 1080p projectors below 10000$. I had to make a choice between 720p 3D and 1080p 2D. As of now, I still think I made the right call back then. If someone's investing in a H.T, they should go for the highest resolution possible. That being said, it would be wiser to spend as much as possible on the audio system right now and get a 720p 3D projector which can be had for as little as 50,000 r.s. . Once 4K comes out, he can invest in that. Spending 2lakhs right now wouldn't be a good idea knowing about 4k. But if he doesn't plan on upgrading or is content with 2k, then he should go with a 1080p projector.
But DLP is far better than LCOS and LCD when it comes to 3D. Going for a 3D DLP 1080p projector would be the best option. I think you're misinformed about new 'technologies' that have to be developed for 4K. We'll probably get HDMI 1.5 allowing for more bandwidth. This is another reason having an HTPC would be better. When 4K and Dolby 11.1 are released, you'll have to upgrade the player and receiver as well. With a PC, you'll simply need to get a new graphics card and MAYBE a new BD drive. The software will be able to decode the 11.1 audio and send it as PCM so there won't be any need to buy a new receiver. Yes, he'll need to get a new amp and most players can decode lossless tracks but updates to software are free once you buy it and changing a few components is far easier and cheaper than revamping the entire setup.
Denon has problems decoding several blu-ray tracks and the receivers are over-priced. (google 'star wars blu ray Denon')

@divyansh
You are planning on getting a 16:9 screen, right?

@sanjay,
Again, just like you I mean no offence by my post either. I'm only telling what I would do in his situation. Do you deal in these products? If I want to buy something like a projector lamp, can I buy it from you?

Last edited by srinivas1015; 10-01-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #29
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
@divyansh
You are planning on getting a 16:9 screen, right?
YES it'll be 16:9
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #30
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

The only thing I can say about Denon AVRs is that the lower Models (1909-1911) does not allow a full RGB signal to the display. I bought the 1910 and 1911 and noticed this issue, returned them and bought Onkyo 607.

I liked the Denon for sound, but the limitation on RGB signal was a deal breaker for me. The full range RGB pass through may not be a feature everyone would need, but for me, I need that flexibility for fixing black level issues in certain Bollywood BDs and also in my photography workflow.

The next level in Denon the 2XXX series and up has full RGB capability.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #31
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibap View Post
The only thing I can say about Denon AVRs is that the lower Models (1909-1911) does not allow a full RGB signal to the display. I bought the 1910 and 1911 and noticed this issue, returned them and bought Onkyo 607.

I liked the Denon for sound, but the limitation on RGB signal was a deal breaker for me. The full range RGB pass through may not be a feature everyone would need, but for me, I need that flexibility for fixing black level issues in certain Bollywood BDs and also in my photography workflow.

i've heard good things about onkyo too and their recievers seem to impress various A/V magazines and are well awarded plus are THX certified. i have no problem to go with onkyo provided the sound quality is not compromised.... (is it??)
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #32
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
DLP is much better than LCOS when it comes to 3D. When watching parallax heavy movies, ghosting is present. Why settle for minimal ghosting when you can have zero ghosting? (There are actually numerous threads dedicated to severe ghosting on the ae7000u.)
The DLP vs LCD debate is an old one and I suppose is not going away any time soon. I have realized by now that debating this in forums is pretty pointless and never ending. Thus each to their own, I say. But there is one thing that should never be forgotten. That each technology has it's strengths and weaknesses and there are no clear winners. As for the "minimal ghosting" on the Panasonic PT-AE7000, by "minimal" I meant very rarely seen. In fact amongst the 15-20 odd 3D titles I have viewed to date, I have probably only noticed it maybe a couple of times and that too only when I was actually looking for it. Having had a first hand experience, I really don't need to depend on forum threads to tell me what my eyes can see for themselves.

Quote:
I never said there wasn't a difference between 720p and 1080p. I'm also aware of the checkerboard effect and pixel density. 4K is currently priced way too high but that is going to change in 2 years.
Once again, the difference between 720p and 1080p is actually a lot. As for 4k, I am sorry but you are very wrong if you think that native 4k projectors will be priced in the range of the AE7000 in the next two years.

PS: It's rather strange and ironical, for someone who thinks that there is not much benefit to 2K, to be championing the cause of 4k.

Quote:
Blu-ray players that upscale to 4K are already rolling out and it won't be long before 4K blu-rays come out as BD-100s are available.
That my dear friend is not going to happen. Not soon, not later. The blu-ray technology does not have the ability to handle 4K and not just for the lack of space. For 4K, a totally new technology and standard will need to be worked on. Something I guarantee, is not going to happen in the next "two years".

Quote:
When I got my projector, there were no 3D 1080p projectors below 10000$. I had to make a choice between 720p 3D and 1080p 2D. As of now, I still think I made the right call back then.
When did you buy your projector? If it were a choice between 720p 3D and 1080p 2D, I and most home theater enthusiasts would choose the 1080p projector ten out of ten times. If you think it was the right decision for you, then obviously it was. Because ultimately it is you who has to use the projector. Me? I would have most definitely gone in for 1080p 2D.

Quote:
I think you're misinformed about new 'technologies' that have to be developed for 4K. We'll probably get HDMI 1.5 allowing for more bandwidth.
No. I am not misinformed about this. It is very, very unlikely that you will ever have HDMI 1.5. Even if there is an update to the HDMI spec, it will still most likely never actually be incorporated into new technologies. For, HDMI itself is already set to be replaced by a new standard, HDBaseT. HDBaseT is the new standard agreed upon by the industry as the next standard for A/V connectors.

Quote:
This is another reason having an HTPC would be better. When 4K and Dolby 11.1 are released, you'll have to upgrade the player and receiver as well. With a PC, you'll simply need to get a new graphics card and MAYBE a new BD drive. The software will be able to decode the 11.1 audio and send it as PCM so there won't be any need to buy a new receiver.
There are certainly some advantages to a HTPC, but then there are disadvantages too. The advantages being specially more so for people who watch piracy. I personally only watch original blu-rays and prefer my dedicated blu-ray player over a HTPC any day.

Quote:
Denon has problems decoding several blu-ray tracks and the receivers are over-priced. (google 'star wars blu ray Denon')
Issues with some 'particular' Denon receivers from a single model year, does not change the fact that they are the No.1 a/v receiver brand by far and that they do make excellent a/v receivers. In any case the issue that you mention is software related and one that can be fixed by a firmware update. With digital a/v, such issues are now part and parcel of this industry.

Quote:
@sanjay,
Again, just like you I mean no offence by my post either. I'm only telling what I would do in his situation.
No offense taken. You certainly are entitled to your opinion. But one should be careful while presenting one's opinion so that it does not come across as a statement of fact. Specially in matters that are very subjective and thus debatable.

Quote:
@sanjay,
Do you deal in these products? If I want to buy something like a projector lamp, can I buy it from you?
No, I do not deal in these products. I merely offered to help 'divyansh' by using my contacts in the industry.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #33
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:

I am sorry, but actually when I mentioned Denon, I was thinking mostly of mid to high end A/V receivers only. On the entry level, the Denons are not very good value for money. It's like most premium brands, wherein at the lower end you only end up paying for the brand. My suggestion for the entry level, specially if one is looking for the best value, is Pioneer. They are generally the best bang for the buck a/v receivers and have been this way for as far back as I can remember (1980s). At the very highest end, Denon has pretty much been the undisputed king for over a decade.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #34
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
i've heard good things about onkyo too and their recievers seem to impress various A/V magazines and are well awarded plus are THX certified. i have no problem to go with onkyo provided the sound quality is not compromised.... (is it??)
I wouldn't rely too much on any A/V magazine. Specially not any of the Indian ones. I know exactly how they operate.

PS: I had been approached by an a/v magazine to write for them in the past and some of the conditions they wished to impose were unacceptable to me. I have also been approached to feature on the 'Gadget Guru' show on NDTV.

Last edited by sanjay0864; 10-02-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #35
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

Quote:
I am sorry, but actually when I mentioned Denon, I was thinking mostly of mid to high end A/V receivers only.
Hey Sanjay, I just added a general comment and not in response to yours.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #36
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
Hey Sanjay, I just added a general comment and not in response to yours.
I too meant to apologize in general, for not being more clear in my earlier post. I think it is important that we give as accurate information as possible when recommending equipment on the forum.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Good to hear the differing opinions above. For the rest of us it gives a wider perspective.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #38
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
I wouldn't rely too much on any A/V magazine. Specially not any of the Indian ones. I know exactly how they operate.
i think my reciever is gonna be pretty low end (max 50K) which brand do you recommend then??
and that review was on what hi-fi UK edition.

Quote:
PS: I had been approached by an a/v magazine to write for them in the past and some of the conditions they wished to impose were unacceptable to me. I have also been approached to feature on the 'Gadget Guru' show on NDTV.
o really... that's great now i'll blindly follow what you'll recommend
as i told you my budget for speakers and reciever is 4-4.5 lakhs (rest reserved for pt ae7000u) now please sujjest something within it :-)
and should i spend more on reciever? (as i told you 50k for this rest 400k for speakers)

Last edited by divyansh; 10-02-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #39
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

Quote:
i think my reciever is gonna be pretty low end (max 50K) which brand do you recommend then??
and that review was on what hi-fi UK edition.
A thing I can suggest you is that while selecting a AVR and Speakers, try and understand the concept of 'warm sounding', 'neutral sounding' and 'bright sounding' and also figure out what type of sound you like (most important)
  • Warm sounding - low frequency biased and moderate on high frequency output (more bass than treble in lay man's view)
  • Bright sounding or Clinical - high frequency biased and moderate on low frequency ouput (more treble than bass in lay man's view)
  • Neutral - Neither warm or bright and more balanced.

This is important since you need to pair the right combination of AVR and speakers in the following way

1. Warm sounding AVR with Bright sounding or Neutral sounding Speakers
2. Bright sounding AVRs with warm sounding or neutral sounding speakers
3. Warm AVR and Warm speaker - some ppl like this
4. Bright AVR and bright speaker - some like this as well

Just picking up a brand may not give you best results unless you ensure that the tonal parameters are balanced or matched against a person's preference.

For e.g, Denon and Yamaha produces mostly warm sounding AVRs and Onkyo and Sony produces bright sounding AVRs. Ideally, you need to pair the Denon or Yamaha with a bright sounding speaker set or a neutral sounding one. The reverse is true for Onkyo and Sony. But, some have fully biased preference on warm or bright set up.

E.g : In general, if you buy a Denon and pair that with Wharfedale diamond 5.1, it might sound quite dull and bass heavy. Similarly, if you buy Onkyo and pair it with Tannoy, it would be bit too much on high frequency and treble.

If you are after a brand on AVR, just make sure you pick the right speakers to match your sound preference.

I decided to pair my Onkyo 607 with QA set that is neutral sounding since at home there are other needs for a slightly high freq biased output than a perfectly balanced one.

One thing I can say is as long as you pair it well, you will be satisfied with any decent AVR and speaker set - be it Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha or Pioneer etc. If you want to listen to music as well and not just movies, I'd recommend a Denon or Yamaha over Onkyo. For movies only, my personal preference is Onkyo as it renders the finer sounds very well. I have demoed and listened to several set ups in UK and decided to buy Onkyo based on what I liked and within my budget.

My first AVR was a Onkyo 507, sold it for Denon 1910 and 1911. Liked the Denon for music, but realised the Onkyo was better for movies. The denon also didn't do full RGB and hence I returned it for a Onkyo 607.

It is extremely important to demo and listen to these systems and then take a decision. No matter what we say here, your ears will be the best judge on what you should buy.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #40
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
It is extremely important to demo and listen to these systems and then take a decision. No matter what we say here, your ears will be the best judge on what you should buy.
^What he said. Reviews can only give you a general direction. Much more than visuals, preference in sound is a very individual thing so make sure you're personally satisfied with the sound before you buy.

Take a small bunch of your CD's/DVD's/Blu-rays along and ask for them to be played with the speakers at the appropriate distance you would expect to put them in your entertainment room. Make sure all the initial settings for the demo system are neutral, and the volume is comfortable, not loud. Don't preview only bass-heavy action scenes, sometimes a quieter scene or one with a strong emphasis on music will give you a better idea of the clarity and fidelity of the system. TAKE YOUR TIME, and don't let the shop guy hurry you or persuade you with technical jargon. Specialty high-end audio stores make good profits on the items sold, so they are obliged to give adequate hospitality to the customer to test all the combinations he is interested in to his satisfaction.

Sometimes you might be surprised - When I went looking for stereo speakers for my room, I found myself happier with the sound of a bookshelf pair that cost me 15K rather than one that would have cost me twice that amount, even though I was willing to spend. Your trust should first be in your own ears, not in brands or reviews or other people's opinions, no matter how authoritative sounding.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India