Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
12 hrs ago
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
10 hrs ago
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
22 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
22 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bombshell (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Titans: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #41
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

^I don't remember any particularly memorable song during the film. And I don't think the Oscars are any standard to follow for songs.
Edit: Just caught this on youtube. It's a traditional song given a bit of an AR Rahman-esque ad jingle spin. If that sort of thing rocks your boat. Both Bombay Jayshree and Mychael Danna have done much better in the past.

Last edited by ravenus; 01-10-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #42

Feb 2010
USA

IMHO music in namesake and pi was more original and authentic than Rehmani racking right and left with slum million lol.
Btw if not seen watch west is west such a heart warming tale. OMG in Hindi is also recommended
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Johannesburg - South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
You rock Bhaii
Thanks Zoran Bhaii

Just for you
Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
^I don't remember any particularly memorable song during the film. And I don't think the Oscars are any standard to follow for songs.
Edit: Just caught this on youtube. It's a traditional song given a bit of an AR Rahman-esque ad jingle spin. If that sort of thing rocks your boat. Both Bombay Jayshree and Mychael Danna have done much better in the past.

Pi's Lullaby (Life Of Pi - Mychael Danna) sung by Bombay Jayashri - YouTube
Thanks for the video Ravenus, i kind of liked it. Lets see how it fares

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
IMHO music in namesake and pi was more original and authentic than Rehmani racking right and left with slum million lol.
Btw if not seen watch west is west such a heart warming tale. OMG in Hindi is also recommended
Lol, Havent watched Life Of Pi yet, wanna catch this in the movies before it goes off circuit. West is West was wonderful, really enjoyed the movie and the soundtrack by Shankar Ehsaan Loy, once again also had some excellent Pakistani singers.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #45
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

I still can't stand Mr. Female-Genitalia-Face and this was one of shittiest and most horrifying movies I ever had the misfortune of being forced to watch (on an interstate bus trip), but *I think this song is catchy*

Old 01-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
I still can't stand Mr. Female-Genitalia-Face and this was one of shittiest and most horrifying movies I ever had the misfortune of being forced to watch (on an interstate bus trip), but *I think this song is catchy*

khuda jane - english subtitles - YouTube
Lol, i never heard anyone describe Ranbir like that before, lol. He does have a lot of Neetu Singh's features though... Hahahahahahaha
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #47
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

^, but seriously I've heard this song about a dozen times in the past couple days. I wish they'd done a proper guitar solo, acoustic or otherwise, between the first and second antaras, that would have really nailed it...and given me an excuse in case I accidentally sang it amongst people that can't believe I'd listen to a Ranbir Kapoor song
Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #48
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:

khuda jane - english subtitles - YouTube

Quote:
^, but seriously I've heard this song about a dozen times in the past couple days. I wish they'd done a proper guitar solo, acoustic or otherwise, between the first and second antaras, that would have really nailed it...and given me an excuse in case I accidentally sang it amongst people that can't believe I'd listen to a Ranbir Kapoor song
Oh , i thought you were sarcastically saying that you like this song ,anyways this is, indeed one of the finest compositions by vishal and shekhar and guitar solo of this song does play several times in the background score of the movie and sounds fantastic, BTW its just my personal opinion but i kind of like ranbir kapoor as an actor , very understated , very natural , SRK can be said to overact by some but i dont think Ranbir does , he is getting to work with the finest directors , his career is going in just the right direction right now and he does puts lots of hardwork in his performances :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #49
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

@mrbrat:
Totally loved Shubha Mudgal's Naina Laagi from the Swar Utsav album. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing it's raag Shree. Here's a lovely performance of that by Amir Khan (no, not India's favorite thinking actor )

@divyansh:
There is guitar in the song but nothing having any virtuoso element is done with it. This one sounds like it had the scaffolding work laid out for a solo in between but never actually implemented it. Compare this with say, the guitar in Neele neele ambar pe song. Not saying that every song needs to have the same items, but there was very good scope here and it was missed. I also dislike it when they use overdubs for singers that have the capability to sing well. I guess it has become a fashion now, but in the old days it was nice to hear how the singer handled the whole song or at least large chunks of it at a go.

Last edited by ravenus; 01-12-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
@mrbrat:
Totally loved Shubha Mudgal's Naina Laagi from the Swar Utsav album. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing it's raag Shree. Here's a lovely performance of that by Amir Khan (no, not India's favorite thinking actor )
Ustad Amir Khan - Raga Shree - YouTube

@divyansh:
There is guitar in the song but nothing having any virtuoso element is done with it. This one sounds like it had the scaffolding work laid out for a solo in between but never actually implemented it. Compare this with say, the guitar in Neele neele ambar pe song. Not saying that every song needs to have the same items, but there was very good scope here and it was missed. I also dislike it when they use overdubs for singers that have the capability to sing well. I guess it has become a fashion now, but in the old days it was nice to hear how the singer handled the whole song or at least large chunks of it at a go.
Hey Ravenus, you do have a good ear. Sounds a lot like Raaga Shree, but i'll confirm it. Seems a little similar to Raaga Shyam Kalyan as well.

The reason i wanted Swar Utsav was for the two artistes i saw in real life, Shubha Mudgal and U. Srinivas.

They were brilliant at their shows. It's really cherished memories. Their recitals gave me goosebumps.

Read my reviews of the shows and see pics on the shows:
Shubha Mudgal
U. Srinivas

I loved Naina Laagi as well. What did you think about Samukhananilva and Sri Maha Ganpati by U. Srinivas in the same album? He plays the mandolin so beautifully. In the latter track, he has jugalbandi's with the keyboards. Some really awesome stuff. Not to forget the lovely Mridangam beats in these tracks by S. Swaminathan.

Thanks again for the video. I think Ustad Amir Khan was one of the finest classical singers that graced my music player. His film songs are also not compromised in any way. He sang rather in his style and kept the purity of the Raags. Listen to this very complex Khayal he sang in Raag Multani from the film Shabab under the baton of Naushad saab. It was really complex, and he handled the Raag in his style of singing:

Last edited by mrbrat_Boy; 01-13-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #51
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

^Much thanks for sharing that video, what a song! It's such a fantastic thing to hear in the morning. I'm guessing it's a Meera bhajan set to music. I'm going to keep Multani in mind as a raga to look out for.

@Shubha Mudgal, one of my early exposures to her voice was not a good experience. It was that Ab ke saawan song she had done in collaboration with some pop group. I thought that song was absolute shit, she sounded like a Delhi housewife arguing with the rickshaw driver. But ya since then I've heard some better stuff and begun to appreciate her qualities . She is not just a performer but also a music academic and she is one of the cofounders of a music label called Underscore Records devoted to promoting Indian music. If you haven't heard of it, I highly recommend you check out the site, I think you can order stuff from there without any hassles.
One of the interesting albums I got from there was Unorthodoxies. Have you read Cuckold by Kiran Nagarkar? If you have not I raise my eyes in horror and order you to get a copy immediately and read it . Seriously it's one of the best novels I have read in my life. Nagarkar takes Bhojraj the Mewar prince that married Meera, a character about whom very little historically is known, and tells a saga from his point of view. It is a book that will grip from start to end. Okay now what they have done in Unorthodoxies is, Kiran Nagarkar reads out some significant passages from the book in the character of Bhojraj, while Shubha Mudgal sings in the character of Meera. It's an interesting experiment. It doesn't work spectacularly well for me mainly because Nagarkar's voice is weak. If they could have had someone like Saif Ali Khan doing the readings, it'd have been tremendous (I thought he would be right for the role, and not just because he's a real life prince. He's a good actor with a strong voice and one of the few Indian stars that can speak in English that doesn't have a bastard accent or sound like he's in an elocution contest). Anyway I suggest you check this and other albums at the site. This one has a lovely cloth bound packaging.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #52
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Came upon this by a very indirect route since I'm not into Bangla rock et al. I think it has a nice solo with lovely guitar tone a little after the 3.30 min mark.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
^Much thanks for sharing that video, what a song! It's such a fantastic thing to hear in the morning. I'm guessing it's a Meera bhajan set to music. I'm going to keep Multani in mind as a raga to look out for.

@Shubha Mudgal, one of my early exposures to her voice was not a good experience. It was that Ab ke saawan song she had done in collaboration with some pop group. I thought that song was absolute shit, she sounded like a Delhi housewife arguing with the rickshaw driver. But ya since then I've heard some better stuff and begun to appreciate her qualities . She is not just a performer but also a music academic and she is one of the cofounders of a music label called Underscore Records devoted to promoting Indian music. If you haven't heard of it, I highly recommend you check out the site, I think you can order stuff from there without any hassles.
One of the interesting albums I got from there was Unorthodoxies. Have you read Cuckold by Kiran Nagarkar? If you have not I raise my eyes in horror and order you to get a copy immediately and read it . Seriously it's one of the best novels I have read in my life. Nagarkar takes Bhojraj the Mewar prince that married Meera, a character about whom very little historically is known, and tells a saga from his point of view. It is a book that will grip from start to end. Okay now what they have done in Unorthodoxies is, Kiran Nagarkar reads out some significant passages from the book in the character of Bhojraj, while Shubha Mudgal sings in the character of Meera. It's an interesting experiment. It doesn't work spectacularly well for me mainly because Nagarkar's voice is weak. If they could have had someone like Saif Ali Khan doing the readings, it'd have been tremendous (I thought he would be right for the role, and not just because he's a real life prince. He's a good actor with a strong voice and one of the few Indian stars that can speak in English that doesn't have a bastard accent or sound like he's in an elocution contest). Anyway I suggest you check this and other albums at the site. This one has a lovely cloth bound packaging.
Awesome Bro!! I am glad you enjoyed the video, It is indeed a splendid composition by Naushad Saab and the singing by Ustad Amir Khan the highlight!

I totally agree with you, Ab Ke Saawan was a shitty waste of Shubha's vocals. When i heard the track for the first time, i was at a total loss at how Shantanu Moitra didnt take advantage of her range! It was really monotone and screaming. But then again, Shantanu wanted to do with Shubha what Junoon (pakistani rock group) did on the song Ghoom Tana, only they succeeded. Give it a listen, She was superb on that rock track! Shubha really is very down to earth and my meeting with her was something else, she made conversation and asked us so many questions. I was in complete awe.

Thanks for the links, i did read something about the music company but didnt dig further. The album is next on my listening list. I will get it. I have not even heard of it!! Thanks again bro!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #54
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Came upon this by a very indirect route since I'm not into Bangla rock et al. I think it has a nice solo with lovely guitar tone a little after the 3.30 min mark.

Arjun Sen - YouTube
Wow, first time hearing this, it was really nice, that guitar solo is brilliant!

I know i might raised eyebrows for this one, lol, but i still enjoy Pritam's Bheegi Bheegi Si Hain Raaton' from Gangster. Had some really good guitar work on this track, hear the guitar solo at around the 3.27 mark. Really gets me!!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #55
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

^blocked for copyrighted content.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
^blocked for copyrighted content.
here is the link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XME_rZ3AuZI
Old 01-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #57
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrat_Boy View Post
This link is also blocked , But i found the official one

Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #58
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

^Thanks for the link the solo is really quite good. But y'know what, more than a guitar it sounds like Niladri Kumar's Zitar. Check this out and be completely gobsmacked:

And check this video out, amazing:

Last edited by ravenus; 01-14-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #59
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
^Thanks for the link the solo is really quite good. But y'know what, more than a guitar it sounds like Niladri Kumar's Zitar. Check this out and be completely gobsmacked:

Niladri Kumar playing a Electric Sitar - YouTube

And check this video out, amazing:

Priority - Niladri Kumar Music Video - YouTube
BRLLIANT, i have never seen anyonbe play the sitar like that!!!! WOW! he makes it sound like an electric guitar!!! Amazing. Niladri is very talented. Soome of his fusion albums are totally amazing.

The only time i saw something similar to this, was a concert i attended. Kala Ramnath on the Violin and Pandit Jasraj doing the vocals. there was also a tabla player and a pankhawaj player. Pandit jasraj recited a Tarana, to which Kala Ramnath made the violin sing. The violin actually sounded like it was singiing!! I still get goosebumps when i think of it!!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #60
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

^It's a hugely modified sitar connected to an amplifier and possibly some processor. The bowl is much smaller since it doesn't need the larger dimensions of its traditional avatar for reverb or meend, and the bridge at the top is totally replaced.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India