Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49
16 hrs ago
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
3 hrs ago
Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
11 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96
9 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Dolittle 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 07-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #761
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Johannesburg - South Africa
Default Naushad - The Genius

So, Over at my blog, i got a wonderful comment on the Pakeezah review, it was a great musical discovery. The person referred me to this specific LP that had been released twice in the US and once in the UK, all three released in 1972. It had been titled
1) Songs Of The Waves
2) Messenger Of Love
3) Innovations by Naushad

I will append the covers at the bottom. Turns out these three LP's have the same track listing and behold, this person says, it contains the entire background score from Pakeezah.

I had received the Tracks from the guy in FLAC format and guess what, it was the entire background score from Pakeezah!! What a beautiful, sublime, rich score Naushad provided. I find it strange that no Indian company released this on any format. But for all that have been so fascinated by Pakeezah, like me, here is a chance for you to discover the gems of Naushad.

Like the Title Music, most of these songs are seeped in Raga Mishra Piloo, which are done so great. On a plus, the companies that mastered these LP have done a stellar job! There are copies available on discogs if anyone is interested.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20180623-WA0003.jpg (89.9 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg R-690604-1529581065-9009.jpeg.jpg (9.5 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20180623-WA0001 - Copy.jpg (71.4 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg R-690604-1529581075-3006.jpeg.jpg (97.0 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by mrbrat_Boy; 07-02-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Thanks given by:
Dragun (07-02-2018), ravenus (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #762
Special Member

May 2010

What a find! There is another Naushad LP on Daisy Records called "Magic Tunes:"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NAUSHAD-Mag...8AAOSwjk9ZOKnP

Not sure what these songs are from, but there is some info on Daisy Records on the back cover:

The producer of this album is Zahir Ahmed, who founded Daisy Records and created Naushad Music club in the Los Angeles area. He also produced the album "Song of the Waves" which made him the first person to release and promote Maestro Naushad's background music in USA and Canada.

Zahir Ahmed has been active in promoting the popular music culture of the Indian subcontinent in the Los Angeles area. He organized and produced dozens of stage shows under the banner of Naushad Music Club. His recent production "Lori and Naat" performed by Kadir Durvesh/Zakir Hussain and orchestra, has brought high appreciation from listeners all over USA.
Thanks given by:
mrbrat_Boy (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #763
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragun View Post
What a find! There is another Naushad LP on Daisy Records called "Magic Tunes:"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NAUSHAD-Mag...8AAOSwjk9ZOKnP

Not sure what these songs are from, but there is some info on Daisy Records on the back cover:

The producer of this album is Zahir Ahmed, who founded Daisy Records and created Naushad Music club in the Los Angeles area. He also produced the album "Song of the Waves" which made him the first person to release and promote Maestro Naushad's background music in USA and Canada.

Zahir Ahmed has been active in promoting the popular music culture of the Indian subcontinent in the Los Angeles area. He organized and produced dozens of stage shows under the banner of Naushad Music Club. His recent production "Lori and Naat" performed by Kadir Durvesh/Zakir Hussain and orchestra, has brought high appreciation from listeners all over USA.
This is superb!!! Didnt know about this one either!!! I wonder what BGM is this one from. Gems sitting right under our noses.

The first track says Julie's Theme.... Any Naushad Film where the actress is named Julie?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MT.jpg (87.9 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg MT1.jpg (89.0 KB, 259 views)
Old 09-19-2018, 12:06 AM   #764
Special Member

May 2010

Anyone know if the songs from Manto were released on CD?
Old 09-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #765
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragun View Post
Anyone know if the songs from Manto were released on CD?
Not Yet, Soundtracks are not releasing as they did before (physical Media). More like after the film's release. In this case, I am not sure why it hasn't released, but I am also waiting on this.
Zee Music has the copyrights.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #766
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Default Lots Of Indian LP releases

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this will interest many, but thought I should share since these musicals were discussed on here earlier.

These LP's just released, and they sound great!

This Saagar LP contains the Jal Pari Music

Bombay Also has this added song:
- Aankhon Mein Ummeedon

Attached Images
File Type: jpg R-12668148-1539699849-6094.jpeg.jpg (87.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg R-12668148-1539699849-6337.jpeg.jpg (92.2 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg R-12670465-1539723672-8449.jpeg.jpg (69.9 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg R-12670465-1539723703-1635.jpeg.jpg (63.7 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg R-12670510-1539724810-3052.jpeg.jpg (13.9 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by mrbrat_Boy; 11-02-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #767

Jan 2014
Mumbai

Salil Chowdhury and Bimal Roy together stood as an iconic composer-director duo, in my opinion.
Legendary albums by them include Do Bigha Zamin, Madhumati and Prem Patra. However, in my opinion, the most soulful of these was the music of Parakh. The album is store for four Lata Mangeshkar solos, paired with one by Manna Dey.
Here's a little-known song from Parakh.

Now, I've been wondering which Raag exactly this song is based on. Based on my miniscule knowledge, it sounds like Khamaj or maybe Bageshwari?? I can't be sure. mrbrat_Boy, what are your thoughts??
Thanks given by:
mrbrat_Boy (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 09:23 PM   #768
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDCS View Post
Salil Chowdhury and Bimal Roy together stood as an iconic composer-director duo, in my opinion.
Legendary albums by them include Do Bigha Zamin, Madhumati and Prem Patra. However, in my opinion, the most soulful of these was the music of Parakh. The album is store for four Lata Mangeshkar solos, paired with one by Manna Dey.
Here's a little-known song from Parakh.
034, FILM, PARAKH, SONG, YE BANSI KYON GAYE, LATA MANGESHKER, LYRICS, SHAILENDRA, - YouTube

Now, I've been wondering which Raag exactly this song is based on. Based on my miniscule knowledge, it sounds like Khamaj or maybe Bageshwari?? I can't be sure. mrbrat_Boy, what are your thoughts??
Lovely song, from what i am hearing, this sounds much more like Raga Jhinjhoti, listen to Piya Tose Naina Lage from Guide based on the same Raga. Similar scales, however this track has some beautiful embellishments.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:03 AM   #769

Jan 2014
Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrat_Boy View Post
Lovely song, from what i am hearing, this sounds much more like Raga Jhinjhoti, listen to Piya Tose Naina Lage from Guide based on the same Raga. Similar scales, however this track has some beautiful embellishments.
Are you sure, you're not thinking of Raag Khamaj, as you write Raag Jhinjhoti? As far a lot of filmi music analysts, online, are concerned; they feel Piya Tose was a Khamaj construction.
Raag Jhinjhoti songs include Guide's Saiyan Beimaan, Mere Mehboob's title song, and the popular Rafi ballads Tum Mujhe Yun Bhula Na Paoge and Teri Aankhon Ke Siva; interestingly, all these songs mentioned above possess tandem variants; sung by both Lata Mangeshkar and Mohd. Rafi.

Last edited by HDDCS; 02-22-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #770
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDCS View Post
Are you sure, you're not thinking of Raag Khamaj, as you write Raag Jhinjhoti? As far a lot of filmi music analysts, online, are concerned; they feel Piya Tose was a Khamaj construction.
Raag Jhinjhoti songs include Guide's Saiyan Beimaan, Mere Mehboob's title song, and the popular Rafi ballads Tum Mujhe Yun Bhula Na Paoge and Teri Aankhon Ke Siva; interestingly, all these songs mentioned above possess tandem variants; sung by both Lata Mangeshkar and Mohd. Rafi.
I am entirely sure This is Jhinjhoti, in its structure, Khamaaj is very much bolder and fiery, a great example of Khamaj would be 'Teer-e-Nazar' from Pakeezah, and I don't hear any resemblance to this particular song.

Also the mood of Jhinjhoti suits this song.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #771
Special Member

May 2010

This is a fun, eclectic soundtrack. Anyone know if there will be a physical release?

Thanks given by:
mrbrat_Boy (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #772
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Default Kalank

Finally - a song that's worthy of listening to, after all that loud / copied / remixed music coming out of Bollwood; this is a welcome breeze of fresh air.

First song from Kalank - A beautiful Jugalbandi rendition by Shreya Ghoshal & Vaishali Made in Raga Bageshree.

Ta di ya na dheem.. de re ta na de re nom
Ta di ya na dheem.. de re ta na de re nom
Ta di ya na dheem...

Just Glorious!!!
Thanks given by:
Dragun (03-22-2019), HDDCS (06-22-2019), thisgenius (03-18-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 08:37 PM   #773
Special Member

May 2010

The other day I picked up Outernational Sounds' vinyl reissue of the Shankar-Jaikishen album Raga Jazz Style

http://outernationalsounds.co.uk/raga-jazz-style/

I've only listened to one side so far, but it sounds terrific.

I wish they had picked a couple of ragas to do longer explorations of, instead of a bunch of short tracks, but even with the shorter tracks it's still a pretty cool album.
Thanks given by:
HDDCS (06-03-2019), mrbrat_Boy (05-03-2019), ravenus (05-04-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #774

Jan 2014
Mumbai

Lata Mangeshkar; a Telephonic Interview- - From Audio Archives of Lutfullah Khan. This seems to be recorded in the early 1970s.
Thanks given by:
ketan (06-04-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #775

Jan 2014
Mumbai

A breezy number from the Salil-Lata combination.
The song was penned by Gulzar and it does have his signature in some places.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #776

Jan 2014
Mumbai

A soothing Raag Yaman number by Sudha Malhotra. Salaam-E-Hasrat Qubool Kar Lo. This was composed by Roshan. Some fragrances of his "Chhupa Lo Yun Dil Mein" and "Zindagi Bhar Nahin Bhoolegi" are there in this song.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #777
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

For anyone interested in reading I've added Utsav (1984) and Gaman (1978) reviews on the site. link is in my signature
Thanks given by:
HDDCS (02-05-2020), ravenus (02-03-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #778
Special Member

Aug 2010
Kochi, KL, IN

So, after watching Mamangam, I happened to read Sajeev Pillai’s 350-page long novelized version of his original shooting script as well… and the immediate feeling that rose in my mind was not the usual indifference towards a crap film, but a combination of rage, disgust and sadness along with a nagging “What it could have been” question. Squandered opportunity this is not, but a deliberate move by an egotistic real-estate mafioso to rake moolah out of a half-baked star vehicle made from material with epic potential, by replacing the original creator with a pair of scheming wannabes. While the story itself is an intricate, densely layered and labyrinthine mystery thriller set in medieval Kerala, the film is nothing but a husk, with every bit of mystery, fantasy, world-building, character development, political intrigue and emotional resonance stripped off.

And the soundtrack of the film kinda, sorta clues one into the answer to the aforementioned question. Produced by the prolific Malayalam composer M Jayachandran, the album has four songs composed presumably during pre-production (i.e. when Sajeev Pillai was still in charge), and one song originally created for promotional purposes, but ended up being used in the film, much to its detriment (more on that later). Being his first in the Vadakkan Pattu genre, the composer goes for a mostly traditional approach, but with smatterings of modern elements, and the output is a mostly excellent soundtrack that is, once again mostly, faithful to the genre.

Jukebox:

The album begins with Mookkuthi (Nose ring) , sung by Shreya Ghoshal in her imitable style. Originally envisioned as a Mookkuthiyattam song – Mookkuthiyattam is an erotic variant of Mohiniyattam performed during the colonial era by Devadasis, where the performer, under the pretext of frisking her “guest” for her lost nose ring, seduces him – the track was reshot post the sudden crew change, and ultimately became the cookie-cutter item song, but set in an 18th century brothel. The situation is more or less the same in both the novel and the film –
[Show spoiler]distracting the Zamorin’s aides to let the chavers flee the place
– but the film version totally lacks in tension and character/plot dynamics, both of which run high during the respective portions in the novel. The lyrics here amount to nothing more than the heroine’s “search for her lost nose ring” – hence making it subject to massive online trolling - and the tune may sound familiar, but the composer does well with his excellent orchestral interludes and conclusion. The Hindi version “Boondon si”, with the main verses sung by Shashaa Tirupathi and Sherya’s vocalized verses in the interludes retained, is a good listen too.

Video:

Up next is Thaaraattu (Lullaby), the melancholic background piece that plays over the film when the young chaver preps himself for the Mamangam and his mother reminisces his birth and growth. Aided by the mostly minimalistic orchestra, Bombay Jayashree owns this song with her warm voice. Coming to the video itself, it comes at the same situation as that in the book, but fails to register emotionally – and even turning unintentionally funny during a moment or two - thanks to the shoddy editing and lazy performances (except the kid’s). The novel covers a lot of ground during this juncture, making the reader too wish the kid stayed back. However, the loud “RaRaRaRo” wails in the interludes turn out a bit jarring in this otherwise serene track. And the Hindi version (Lori) is not worth checking out IMO..

Video:

And smack in the middle of the album, comes the middle finger! Yes, this is the promo track, clearly composed post the shoot and conforming to the Balharas’ very Bollywood-y score. There is a decent tune buried underneath all that clings, clangs and thuds, and it doesn’t get any chance to rise, despite Yasin Nizar’s desperate efforts to yell it out. And ironically, this is more or less a marching anthem for the chavers that glorifies bloodshed and beheadings, when the film/novel itself – for all the violence shown – is ultimately against all that. Though originally composed as a promo track, it does get shoehorned into a couple of supposedly “massy” moments in the film, and the result is quite in sync with the final film itself… which is an unfocused, cacophonous mess. Listen at your own risk, regardless of the language.

Promo video:

The next song is the upbeat Peeli Thirumudi, sung by the legend himself: K J Yesudas. While the base tune itself is great and the (very anachronistic) beats peppy, the first interlude somewhat lets the song down with a rather cringeworthy kazoo segment (trying to be funny, but falling flat) and the chorus that follows it. However, the real highlight of the song is a very energetic Das himself, who was 78 years old at the time of recording. The author has clearly marked the song’s beginning in the novel with a couple of placeholder lyrics, and its placement in the film too somewhat follows suit, though the leading events play out a bit differently. And yes, the much-trolled video has Mammootty’s character “dancing” to the beats in an effeminate avatar
[Show spoiler], which the hero uses as a cover to aid his nephew and grand-nephew
. I wouldn’t blame the actor, for the new director and editor – and needless to say, the choreographer! - are visibly at fault here. After all, the book describes this part as the character doing a mono-act to entertain the brothel's resident devadasis. The Hindi version is sung by the singer’s son Vijay Yesudas.

Video:

Saving the best for the last, M Jayachandran assigns the singing duties to veteran composer Vidhyadharan Master, and singer Sangeetha Sajith for Khanasangam, a traditional prayer song that worships the chavers’ family deity. While the song comes in at a critical juncture in the novel itself, the (replacement) filmmakers do gross injustice to it by placing it at the very end to play over the forced coda. The composer though, treats the song with respect, opting for a very minimal orchestra that lends more power to - while never dominating – the powerful vocals and edakka percussion that runs throughout. Had this song been filmed as described in the book, it would have become quite the audiovisual treat in the cinemas. No video version available in YT.

Last edited by kaykaysud; 02-12-2020 at 04:51 AM.
Thanks given by:
mrbrat_Boy (02-12-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #779
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

^Is there an English translation for the novelization?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #780
Special Member

Aug 2010
Kochi, KL, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
^Is there an English translation for the novelization?
Not yet. But I guess there will be one down the line, since the book is selling quite well. Also, I'd recommend reading the book after watching the film. If you go the other way around, the disappointment is going to be on an epic scale.

EDIT: The novel is high on fantasy, magic and graphic violence, since the heroes here are adept at performing OTT stunts (with a lot of world-building done to suspend one's disbelief). Perhaps this is the factor that the producer had been parading as "Baahubali-like" to discredit Sajeev Pillai.

Last edited by kaykaysud; 02-11-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India