Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
17 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.31

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

First Love (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Orphen: Complete Collection SD (Blu-ray)
$10.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$29.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 12-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India
India/Bollywood Your Best and Worst of Indian Cinema 2019

All right boys and...er, right. Those of you still here, please put up your personal choices for the best and worst and the in-between desi (and videsi, if you like) movies for 2019 (all languages).

Last edited by ravenus; 12-18-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Here was my 2019 experience at the cinema (or streaming). I'm also including international films because I believe language should not be a barrier to cinema appreciation.

Pretty Damn Good

Jallikattu (Malayalam) - Mallu wunderkid Lilo Jose Pelisserry's latest is about the men of a village going behind a runaway bull that escaped slaughter and is now amok. Me and my friend were at a disadvantage, since belying my hopes, there were no subtitles for the film, and we were solely dependent on what we could grasp from the visuals. But the visual quotient was astounding, if a little gimmicky, and worth putting the movie in this bracket.

Kumbalangi Nights (Malayalam) - Gorgeously shot and thoroughly heart-warming feel-good movie whose only real Achilles Heel is a comically exaggerated bad guy element that feels out of place with the otherwise grounded and wholly relatable construct. Shoubin Shahir, who would in an earlier age have been relegated to comic sidekick, proves himself one of the finest actors in Indian cinema today, expressing in a look what others would require pages of dialog to convey. The luscious cinematography makes me want to head right over to Kochi.

Gully Boy (Hindi) - Observant production design, sensitive direction and excellent performances, although a lot of the actual performance rap in that was meh.

Article 15 (Hindi) - This glossy version of Aakrosh is a little wobbly in its attempt to meld commercial palatability (Ayushmann Khurana is too geared to be a representative of an urban yuppie crowd) with a hard look at social injustice (Manoj Pahwa and Kumud Mishra deserve a standing ovation for their portrayals), but A15 should be lauded for its sincerity and it does hit a lot of marks.

Marriage Story (English) -A balanced, funny-sad portrayal of the process of a separation and all the forces - personal, legal, economic - that come into play. Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson play excellently off against each other. This generation's Kramer vs Kramer is easily worth your Netflix time.

Parasite (Korean) - Director Bong Joon Ho's latest is not just Pretty Damn Good but Holy Frakking Awesomeness. A crafty black comedy that satirizes the conflict arising from the gap between the haves and the have-nots, this is an engaging and idea-packed film worth sitting through.

Spider-Man - Far from Home (English) - Boiler-plate predictable, but palatably breezy and the visuals, both in terms of the glamorous vistas of Venice and Prague, and the visual FX used to suggest the labyrinth of illusions that Spidey is subjected to by the baddie are excellent eye-candy. The post-credits scene sets up some major bombs for the series ahead.

Unda (Malayalam) - Very well-written story of vulnerable out-of-their-depth cops in an alien landscape and life-threatening situation, told with a sense of humor. Even though the climactic encounter is OTT, you do feel a sense of cheer for these guys doing their best to overcome their limitations.

Uri: The Surgical Strike (Hindi) - One of the tightest military action movies made in India. Its emotional beats, conventional they may be, are executed with sufficient precision and restraint that they slice through the flatulent jingo of all the Dutta-pics. It may well be the best Indian recruitment film to pique Generation Now.

Dolemite Is My Name (English) - A frequently funny and warm-hearted venture, only the high level of cussing and frequent nudity put it beyond family-friendly. Murphy seems to be having a mother-frakkin' good time in the lead and he has a lovely supporting cast.

Soni (Hindi) - One of the best female oriented films of recent times. The strongest parts of Soni are the lead performances (Geetika Ohlyan and Saloni Batra), but they are given context by a layered script and director Ivan Ayr's sensitive direction. In its small way, Soni asks the pertinent question, what kind of civilized society can we claim to have built if we cannot rely on one human being to be decent to another?

Decent / Could Have Been Better

The Irishman (English) - I found Martin Scorsese's new film, while highly polished, a slog. There is little about the story that feels fresh or alive, and I could not bring myself to feel involved with most of the characters. Some individual scenes work very well, but the film is much less than the sum of those parts.

Asuran (Tamil) - First half is bloody good, marrying the intensity and visceral edge of a Bala movie with a more commercial edge. Second half loses that sharpness and drives into bog standard 80's rural potboiler area. Still worth watching for an excellent Dhanush performance.

Petta (Tamil) - In the best and worst ways, a brand Rajini film: He talks, he walks, he dances, he nun-chucks, he everythings. No character other than 'baas' carries any real weight. The women uniformly have "say your two lines and GTFO" appearances. Once the action begins they are pushed off-stage, not returning even for a "The End" frame. Baas' party is purely a Boys' affair, but those invited are guaranteed a good time.

Jaoon Kahan Bataa Ae Dil (Hindi) - In many ways, Aadish Keluskar's second feature feels more like it could be someone's debut, a messy, raw in-your-face relationship drama with an improvised feel. For more than two thirds the film keeps us interested in its characters, even if a fair chunk of their conversation appears like comments on current day life in India the director himself wanted to make. The last part contains some majorly sordid materialWhile I admire the bravery of the actors, the scene does smack a little of sensational issue-raising, IMO flattening the characters to exploiter and victim when they were more rounded before.

Super Deluxe (Tamil) - In both the good and bad senses of the term, Thiagarajan Kumararaja's SD is a messy affair. At least some of the messiness appears to be deliberate, as though TK wants us to not just see the finished product, but the individual fingermarks in the material. There are some terrific individual scenes here but I felt that TK should have better respected the material by with less of cramming events, shifting viewpoints and too-clever-by-half twists.

Uyare (Malayalam) - A predictable and populist story (as it *should* be) but still a balanced, sensitive and immensely well-told tale of a fighter and survivor who ultimately emerges a hero. Bravo to the cast and crew.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (English) - There are bits and pieces that engage in this sprawling yarn, but unless you're already a dyed-in-the-wool Tarantino fan or a lover of 60's era pop culture paraphernalia, I would not recommend this.

Alita Battle Angel (English) - There are some visually interesting moments, but it's an uneasy mix of live action and CG movie, with a plot truncated to the point of insignificance.

Avengers - Endgame (English) - On the whole I liked this a little more than Infinity War, but didn't feel sufficiently invested in the characters, and the mix of humor and drama is uneven. It was alright, but I didn't feel hugely rewarded at having filled in the gap.

I Am Mother (English) - Sets up some interesting "who do you trust?" scenarios that could have come out of a Philip K Dick short story, but is hampered by going on for too long (should have been 80-90 min instead of 113), with sloppy writing that features gaping monster-truck sized plotholes. Still better than most SF you will see in a cinema.

Kavaludaari (Kannada) - An excellent first half, in which the protagonist is single-mindedly digging into the murder case, a novice detective finding his way with a mixture of amiability and doggedness. There's a terrific visual showcase of past events as seen through his perspective, even incorporating them as part of a song that pushes the story forward. Alas, once the main baddie is revealed, it succumbs to convention with muhahaha type "Let me explain my masterful scheme" villainy, eye-rolling masala revenge and leaps of logic that sully the precise and methodical way the film was built up till that point.

Gimme My Money Back

Section 375 (Hindi) - A film that professes to be a timely debate on the complexities of justice in rape trials and relies on imbecilic jack-in-the-box tricks to play with audience sympathies.

Godzilla II - King of the Monsters (English) - Justice League style introduction of too many kaiju, making them a blur for anyone other than the nerds, and only occasionally rousing monster fights thanks to the murky look, and I've had it with "good guys" able to walk up and touch Kaiju noses because cutesy-wutesy universal brotherhood gaia shit.

Rambo: Last Blood (English) - This latest instalment in the Rambo franchise is a hugely disappointing cash-in that does no good. The film is basically Taken meets Home Alone, without the sense of humor or kinetic propulsion of either film. Last Blood is so lazily scripted and executed, it's a chore with little by way of payoff.

Last edited by ravenus; 12-30-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
kaykaysud (01-02-2020), ketan (12-27-2019), mrbrat_Boy (12-28-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 03:51 AM   #3

Nov 2009

Raahgir
Gully Boy
Pahuna
Article 15
Andhadhun
Chumbak
Kalank
Aadhaar
Roam Rome Mein
Super Deluxe
Old 12-19-2019, 04:48 AM   #4
Special Member

May 2010

I barely saw any Indian films this year, but Jallikattu was fantastic, and I liked Super Deluxe a lot, though I wonder how it will hold up on a 2nd viewing.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Gar, forgot to include in my list of Pretty Damn Good movies:

Gully Boy - Observant production design, sensitive direction and excellent performances, although a lot of the actual performance rap in that was meh. (Andhadhun was on my 2018 list because it was released in cinemas then).

Article 15 - This glossy version of Aakrosh is a little wobbly in its attempt to meld commercial palatability (Ayushmann Khurana is too geared to be a representative of an urban yuppie crowd) with a hard look at social injustice (Manoj Pahwa and Kumud Mishra deserve a standing ovation for their portrayals), but A15 should be lauded for its sincerity and it does hit a lot of marks.

Last edited by ravenus; 12-19-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
Special Member

Dec 2011
God's Own Country
Arrow

Malayalam

1.Jallikettu
2.Valiyaperunnal
3. Moothon
4.Tamaasha
5.Android Kunjappan Version 5.25

Tamil

1.Super Deluxe
2.Peranbu
3.Asuran
4.Kaithi
5.Game Over

Telugu

1.Jersey
2.Agent Sai Srinivasa Athreya
3.Brochevarevarura
4.Evaru
5.Gang Leader

Kannada & Hindi

Article 15
Uri: The Surgical Strike
Kavaludaari
Gantumoote
Thanks given by:
-MK- (01-03-2020), ketan (12-27-2019), mrbrat_Boy (12-28-2019), ravenus (12-27-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #7

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
All right boys and...er, right. Those of you still here, please put up your personal choices for the best and worst and the in-between desi (and videsi, if you like) movies for 2019 (all languages).
This section still exists!!

I have a few in no particular order-

My favorites this year -

Parasite, Marriage Story, The Report, American Factory, Delhi Crime (ok, not a movie but still powerful)

The ones that didn't WOW me, as I had hoped, but still good -

Irishman, Uncut Gems, Joker, Dolemite Is My Name, Laundromat,

Ones that I missed or haven't got to yet but really curious -

Pain and Glory, Little Women, Lighthouse, Jojo Rabbit, Knives Out

Overrated trash -

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - what a waste of time!
Ad Astra - slept thru it about 30 minutes in so can't say for sure it was trash but I rarely sleep thru good movies
Thanks given by:
ketan (12-27-2019), mrbrat_Boy (12-28-2019), ravenus (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #8

Feb 2012

Parasite (Korean)
Joker (English)
Uri: The Surgical Strike (Hindi)
Article 15 (Hindi)
Gully Boy ((Hindi)
Badla (Hindi)
Mallesham (Telugu)
Agent Sai Srinivasa Athreya (Telugu)
Kumbalangi Nights (Malayalam)
Jersey (Telugu)
Asuran (Tamil)
Peranbu (Tamil)

thanks nice thread...i think missed some

Last edited by BRStar; 12-27-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Thanks given by:
ketan (12-27-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 04:38 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Last minute addition to the Pretty Damn Good list, since I only caught it last night on Prime:

Kumbalangi Nights - Gorgeously shot and thoroughly heart-warming feel-good movie whose only real Achilles Heel is a comically exaggerated bad guy element (Fahadh Faasil, who would have given an equally notable performance with a more balanced character) that feels out of place with the otherwise grounded and wholly relatable construct. Shoubin Shahir, who would in an earlier age have been relegated to comic sidekick, proves himself one of the finest actors in Indian cinema today, expressing in a look what others would require pages of dialog to convey. The luscious cinematography makes me want to head right over to Kochi.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #10
Special Member

May 2010
Bangalore

Hindi: .

1. Gully Boy
2. Uri the surgical strike

Except the above two no other hindi film qualified as a 'complete film' in my list, hence ranking then is out of the question

English:

1. Avengers Endgame - No words. Truly rewarding, worth the longest ever wait and Satistfaction to the T. Perfection at its best.
2. Spiderman Far from home - Handsdown best drone tech movie - those were some insane tech sequences for a big screen experience in a long long time
3. Ford Vs Ferrari - On surface what may look like a sibling of Fast and furious , its not. Apart from sufficiently revving RPMs there is equally a lot of heart and soul in this film. A wholesome entertainer all the way.
Thanks given by:
mrbrat_Boy (12-29-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #11

Jun 2009

God, I hate making "Best of" lists, but I'm compelled to make one for the site I contribute to, so like last year, I once again have a list of my favourite Asian films from 2019. This year too, I didn't get to see quite a few films I really wanted to, like Parasite, So Long, My Son, Miike's First Love, among others, but here's my favourites from what I did get to see:

1. House of Hummingbird (Korean): A young girl grows up amidst the changing social and economic atmosphere of 90s Seoul in Kim Bora's tremendous debut feature film. Featuring probably by favourite female performance of the year from young Park Ji-hoo, I couldn't stop thinking of this film for days after I'd seen it. All of House of Hummingbird's many, many awards on the Festival circuit are wholly justified.

2. Jallikattu (India): Man vs Beast, Man vs Man, Beast vs Beast in LJP's breathtaking assault on the senses, Jallikattu was one of the best looking, swiftly edited and deftly directed films I saw this year.

3. Moving On (Korean): Change, joy, sorrow, love, loss, divorce and a traditional Korean family unit are seen through the eyes of an adolescent teenager as a young girl and her brother move into their grandfather's house with their father following his split with his wife. Moving On may be a quintessentially Korean film about a traditional Korean family unit, but it is to debutante director Yoon Dan-bi’s credit that its multi-layered content has universal appeal and can be relatable to cultures and families around the world. On Korean cinema's centennial, this heart-warming film was a great example of what indie cinema from the country can achieve.

4. Day and Night (Japanese): A young man returns home after his father's suicide to help with their family business and figure out the events leading up to his extreme step, where he meets an enigmatic man who may you may not have anything to do with his father's death. A very effective mix of revenge thriller and family genres in a way that only Japanese cinema knows how to make, this ended up being the surprise fo the year for me.

5. The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil (Korean): It's not a calendar year if South Korea doesn't release a serial killer film. A cop seeks the help of a gangster, the only guy to survive at the hands of an impulsive serial killer. This film wasn't without its faults, which mainly revolved around the titular "devil", but I could honestly watch Ma Dong-seok punch seven shades of sh*t out of baddies all day long!

6. Nina Wu (Taiwanese): A very timely look at stardom and the #metoo movement, Midi Z's Nina Wu worked quite well as a very stylish thriller that often felt like an Asian "Black Swan".

7. Another Child (Korean): Superstar Kim Yoon-seok ("The Chaser", "The Yellow Sea") announced his arrival as a director with Another Child, wherein a high school student finds out about her father's affair with the mother of a classmate of hers and that the woman is carrying her father's child. Rich characters, raw emotions and strong performances populate this film, which heralds the coming of a strong directorial voice in Kim.

8. Send Me to the Clouds (Chinese): It's really hard to talk about the many layers within this film's narrative in a concise manner, but a female journalist, who is suffering from ovarian cancer, travels to the remote mountain residence of an artist to write his biography, along with her mother in tow, who is herself going through a midlife crisis after discovering her husband's infidelity. The film finds humour in the most unlikely places and broke several taboos for Chinese society as it talks about the female desire for sex and features the first on-screen female masturbation scene in Mainland cinema, all of which is done in a classy and mature manner. The effects of the One Child Policy on the females of the generation is a key theme throughout this gorgeously shot film.

9. A Resistance (Korean): As a history buff, I am always fascinated to learn about freedom fighters and A Resistance focuses on the life, or specifically, the imprisonment of teenage girl Yu Gwan-sun, one of South Korea's most famous and revered freedom fighters. It is not without its jingoism, as films of this type often tend to be, but it's still a wholly engrossing and interesting film with a fantastic lead performance.

10. To the Ends of the Earth (Japanese): Kiyoshi Kurosawa returns to the directorial chair and back to winning ways as he takes us on a trip to Uzbekistan in what is essentially a travel movie, but Kurosawa intersperses it with his trademark thrilling moments. Its near documentary-like treatment gives the film a unique authenticity and for anyone who travels to a foreign country with a foreign language, it might just feel all too real.

Just realised while I was typing this that most of the Korean films I liked this year were coming-of-age tales in their own unique ways featuring teenage girls. Not sure what to make of that lol.

Apart from these, I managed to see very little of Hollywood films, but from what I did, I enjoyed Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (which was a bit too self-indulgent at times but still entertaining for the most part), Joker (fairly problematic film but Phoenix's performance won me over), The Irishman and John Wick 3: Parabellum.

Bollywood started the year strong, where I liked Gully Boy, Mard ko Dard Nahi Hota and Article 13, but as the year went on, the films started getting progressively worse.

Having said this, I have the HK release of Parasite on the way, so it'll be interesting to see where that goes....
Thanks given by:
BRStar (12-30-2019), ravenus (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

^ I expect Parasite will make its way to your top movies list once you see it. By Gad, I have not even heard of most of the movies you talk about here, but several sound very interesting. Btw @Kurosawa did you see Before We Vanish? I liked that one a good deal, it was the rare KK movie which seemed to have a sense of (deadpan) humor.
Thanks given by:
thisgenius (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #13

Jun 2013
India

My list includes what I watch in 2019 (may be include old movies also).

Not that Bad

Terminator: Dark Fate

[Show spoiler]A top-notch cast (including appearances from some of the franchise originals), director Tim Miller, and the return of James Cameron to this Terminator movie gives us easily the best entry into the series since Terminator 2: Judgement Day.
The story wasn’t original but didn’t need to be. The reshuffling of the future-history was interesting. The action sequences are definitely enjoyable, not the usual mindless crap. But Tim Miller(Deadpool) & James Cameron both had a hand in it so I expected nothing less.
And Who gets the top billing in this outing? Schwarzenegger… right? Nope. This one goes to Linda Hamilton, and rightly so.
Linda Hamilton makes her return as Sarah Connor & it has been 27 years since she last made an appearance as the character. Despite this, she’s just as badass as ever and her performance is also very strong.
Arnie’s role in this film is much more limited than it was in the first 2 films & Genisys, but I think it works as a good thing in this instance. His performance is actually very good. For an actor with such limited range, performing a machine dictated to by logic.

Zombieland - Double Tap

[Show spoiler]Zombieland 2 picks up 10 years later when our protagonists have settled in to the changed dynamics of the post-apocalyptic world. They are still together but like in dysfunctional family kind of way. In this installment they have to face new types of zombies and along the way meet some memorable characters just like in the first part. Among the new characters, Madison (Zoey Dutch) was excellent. They also find ways to put in some new rules and some seriously funny and gory ways of killing Zombies. Even though it's not as fresh as the original, it captures the spirit of the first Zombieland.

Crawl

[Show spoiler]Crawl honestly looked pretty bad from the trailers and I only really saw it because of Sam Raimi who produced it and Alexandre Aja who directed it. Crawl's biggest strength is its simplicity. The whole movie is just, father and daughter are trapped in a house with alligators during a hurricane. The film knows what it is and doesn't try to be something it isn't. The CGI was decent. The hurricane looked great in some shots but kinda bad in others. However the alligators looked pretty good but not great. There was also a ton of gore which was very satisfying.

Movies that surprise me(after poor review or box office bomb but i enjoy it)

Alita: Battle Angel

[Show spoiler]I am not a manga reader so I came to this with a fresh perspective. I got absorbed by the story, I empathized with the characters, savored the visuals and was moved by the music. An overall great entertainment experience. Rosa Salazar brought life to her polygonal character who in this film, transpires from an insignificant girl to a battle warrior with extraordinary abilities.

Anna

[Show spoiler]

The movie is more of a stylish version of Atomic Blonde. There are some detailed, well-choreographed fight scenes. The whole thing looks cool as it crosses both the world of espionage and the lead's cover as a fashion model. The plot isn't boring as there are a lot of twists and turn. Cast is strong, especially Helen Mirren as a gruff FBI agent & Sasha Luss - A former model herself, Luss isn’t exactly the most versatile performer yet, but she knows how to make a camera love her and also how to slide across a floor while executing some gun fu moves in a constricting dress. Her and Murphy don’t have much chemistry, but they do make for a great pair of competing cheekbones

This is directed by Luc Besson. As is often the case in his movies (5th Element, Lucy, Valerian), he tends to keep his characters at an arm's length from the audience and focus on their actions.
Though I did say I liked the twists and turns, the sheer numbers does get to be a bit much, It borders on the comical.

There are similarities between this and the basic plot synopsis of the director's earlier film La Femme Nikita. I haven't seen Nikita, so I can't tell you if Besson is just recycling material. I do think this is supposed to be flashier than Nikita.

I think the weaknesses I mentioned could turn some people off, but I think this movie still has a lot going for it and worth taking a chance.

My Favorite

Calibre

[Show spoiler]

This is not a masterpiece or a movie that wants to change the world, this is one of the best products covered by the golden powder of Netflix. Very well written and very well thought out for cinematic language, it is worth seeing and is full of good ideas. A thriller with a classic structure, that does not risk in bizarre or innovative options, but rather in an excellent direction, fantastic acting in minimal but effective language, in the construction of a story. It seems to me that it was not wasted time and it will not be from those films that we have easily forgotten. For a change, it's no longer a movie about someone who survives in a post-apocalyptic world, but about someone who outlives himself. Worth seeing it!

Endgame

[Show spoiler]It is difficult to not stumble upon a new Marvel movie now and then and, despite some exceptions, such as "The Incredible Hulk", they are generally well-ranked movies. "Avengers: Endgame" is the perfect finale for the MCU world. No matter the few plot holes (which all MCU movies had), the few inconsistencies between characters from comic books and MCU (which always happened as well), it is a movie made for fans that have been following the Infinity Stones storyline, which covered movies from Captain America, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange and, obviously, Avengers. Without spoiling the movie, I can say that "Avengers: Endgame" starts well by setting up the audience with a new reality after the advents from "Avengers: Infinity War". This is followed by an intense and well-designed confrontation, where it gets enjoyable to perceive how the different personalities of our heroes engage, namely between the rational down-to-earth nature of Iron Man and the overoptimistic nature of Captain America. This leads us to the resolution of the movie, which sets an intense and emotional climax as never seen in any other MCU movie, leading us to a final breath-taking outcome of the entire MCU plot.

For me, and so far, definitely the best MCU movie.

Ford v Ferrari

[Show spoiler]Ford v Ferrari might not be a great movie, but it is still pretty good. It is two and a half hours long and it never feels like it, because the story is entertaining, genuinely interesting and flows very smoothly. The fantastic performances from the leads (Matt Damon and Christian Bale) will really make you connect with their characters and follow their journey. They both develop good chemistry and are so fun to watch together. Speaking about the racing sequences; They are amazing. The great cinematography and nice editing really helps to capture the races clearly. There wasn't a single moment in the races where I couldn't understand what was going on. Everything was shown nice and clear. The sound design and the sound mixing were fantastic and really helped make the races intense. Overall this is a really good movie: It has stunning technical aspects and great performances, but I feel like some characters, the music and some writing choices could've been better.

The Report

[Show spoiler]

This is a film about a young government staffer (Adam Driver) who is tasked with looking into and filing a report on the excessive enhanced interrogation (torture) methods that regularly occurred for well over a decade following the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks. We witness his moral conflict regarding the matter as the film progresses as he becomes more determined to get to bottom of it and ensure that his report sees the light of day. The film undoubtedly gives a very harrowing account of a controversial topic, and provides great insight and detail on the subject through expert editing and fine acting from all involved, especially Driver in a compelling performance. Annette Benning and Jon Hamm to name a couple others also give equally committed performances. Overall, while it did seem to follow the standard biopic/true story formula at times, the unique way in which the film was tightly-edited and well-acted make it an interesting and worthwhile watch.

Booksmart

[Show spoiler]This coming-of-age, last-night-in-high-school, comedy is the first to really hit all the right buttons without falling overboard. There is the expected amount of silliness, drugs, and sexual, comedy; however, Booksmart maintains an amount of taste and intelligent dialogue that has it standing above the genre's predecessors. An absolutely wonderful bit of fun!

Both Dever and Feldstein have star quality, and the believable best-friend chemistry between the duo would sustain Booksmart all on its own. Luckily, however, the supporting cast is equally capable. Billie Lourd is so funny as space cadet Gigi that her mere presence is enough to induce giggles; same for Noah Galvin as George, the exacting ringleader of the school’s theater-kid contingent

For Booksmart being Olivia Wilde’s directorial debut, she expresses the WILD through her style. Behind the camera, Wilde experiments with different filmmaking techniques as chaos occurs on screen, but she never goes for one definite look which works to the movie’s benefit. It may have the framework of a standard studio comedy, but she adds a level of nuance to certain scenes or sequences that are meaningful.

Photograph

[Show spoiler]

Ritesh Batra’s another masterpiece Photograph, each character flows in its own pace. Movie has captivating background music and an excellent cinematography. Movie is about Mumbai, rain, samosa, kulfi and many more, you can smell Mumbai in the Movie.

The film follows a street photographer Rafi (Siddiqui), who tries to convince Miloni (Malhotra) to pose as his fiancée so that his grandmother stops pressuring him to get married.

Despite the difference in their culture, status and economic background, the two form a unique bond. The film is a love letter to Mumbai, bringing the city out as a character sheltering the two protagonists and their extraordinary journey.

Movie allow us to discover the future of this fairy tale love story, Milone and Rafi will they be together? How could have Milone reacted to Campa Cola? What might be the reaction of Milone’s family?

Nawazuddin Siddiqui is as natural as he can get. Its a character that’s nailed by his extremely confident act. He is not acting at all, it seems. Sanya Malhotra too gives a top notch performance.

Movie leaves in the middle of the voyage and audience need to complete rest of the journey with their own pace..

Girlfriend (Marathi)

[Show spoiler]

The pressure to flaunt relationship status on the social media and in public or takes you on a hilarious journey with Amey Wagh and Sai Tahamankar in the lead roles and Girlfriend .

Nachiket is single and companion strain to be seeing someone him to accomplish something hazardous. Be that as it may, does it land him in a difficult situation or does it transform himself for good….!

Girlfriend is one such out of the box story revolving around the protagonist Nachiket Pradhan (Amey Wagh).in the film Nachiket is portrayed as a Graphic Designer by profession, who lives in Pune with his Mother (Kavita Lad), Father (Yatin Karyekar) and younger Brother Rohan (Tejas Barve).

Most of the people of his age are settled in their married lives, while he is still in search of his better half. For this very reason, he is subject to constant criticism and bullying from his friends and from society as well.

Girlfriend’ is a fun and joyful ride. The story keeps you hooked throughout the movie. Unforced comedy, natural acting and great screenplay are the reasons behind it. You will never feel there is a dull moment in the film.

Nowhere in the film, you will feel that this movie is written and directed by a debutant. Yes, Upendra Sidhaye has had a striking debut.

Both Amey and Sai have offered variety through their respective performances, but without the support of other artistes in this film , they would not have been able to offer their best. Thanks to Yatin karyekar, Kavita Lad who play his supportive modern day parents and many other artistes who have played his close friends and office colleagues in the film. Prominent among them is popular TV star Rasika Sunil, who has impressed the most.

The music of the film gives you that feel-good factor just like the movie. Over the course of time, the movie takes twists and turns to make you feel the characters and situations. The movie leaves with a feel-good vibe.

Mulshi Pattern (Marathi)

[Show spoiler]

The film is about the rapid development in Mulshi Taluka, which forces a farmer’s son to become a criminal. Urbanisation is rapid over the past two decades and in this film, the consequences are not restricted to Mulshi alone but the country at large. It tells the story of how the economic liberalisation in 1991 changed the landscape of Pune and pushed farmers into the world of crime. The story revolves around the son named Rahul(OM Bhutkar) of Sakharam (Mohan Joshi), a farmer. sakharam sells his land for a huge some of money offered by a builder. After selling his land, he gets his daughter married and buys a car.

Unfortunately, his daughter returns from her in-laws and Sakharam has to vacate his big house in the village. The family then moves to a nearby city for their livelihood where the father works as a labourer in the market yard while the son keeps blaming his father for selling the land.

The son wants quick money and soon he gains the trust of Nanyabhay a gangster and becomes one to take revenge against the builders and others taking farmers land.

From the word go, Mulshi Pattern grips you where the introductory scene shows Rahul performing rites at a funeral one minute and being chased down by a rival gang, the next. What’s interesting is that his transformation from an innocent lad to a gangster, is shown in between this big chase. Though the performances in the film are incredible thanks to its stellar star cast, Om takes the cake. He is convincing as a young lad who loses his way and turns to crime as his answer. Om puts forth a memorable act as a gangster and specially stands out in a scene where he is at a restaurant and is getting bugged by a family, having a merry time at the table next to his.

Cinematographer Mahesh Limaye has displayed his creativity in quite a few Marathi films, most notably in Rege (2014), another underworld movie. He creates the same intensity in the scenes here, too, with his smart use of angles.

The background music is loud at times but not out of place. The songs, most of them played in the background, are a pleasant surprise. The rowdy track ‘Aa Ra Ra Ra’ is perfect for a gangster's party.

Aside from the performances, the easy flow of the story stands out followed by the twists in the narrative, that will keep you hooked. Watch out for the ending scene where a trusted soul, ends up betraying Rahul! Mulshi Pattern also wins extra points for its story.

ANANDI GOPAL (Marathi) - Extraordinary story of a normal couple!

[Show spoiler]

film traces the journey of Anandibai Joshi who went on to become a doctor, arguably the country’s first female doctor, and her relationship with her husband Gopalrao.

Sameer Vidwans’ film is an inspiring tale of determination, not just on Anandibai’s part but her husband Gopalrao’s as well. Instead of focusing just on Anandibai’s achievements, the story involves the circumstances, time period, social evils and many other factors that led to shaping her as a person who will never be forgotten. Vidwans takes a rather unusual approach by weaving the biopic in guise of a love story.

This is easily the most challenging role Lalit Prabhakar has performed in his short career so far. Gopalrao's adamant, at times whimsical, nature is so believable. You get startled when he screams at someone. On other occasions he becomes such a soft-hearted person you find it hard to believe it is the same man. Lalit Prabhakar portrays all these mood swings with great control.

Bhagyashree Milind, meanwhile, plays out the progression of her character from a timid girl to a revolutionary woman with complete conviction. On several occasions, she speaks her mind so well through mere gestures and expressions, without a word escaping her lips.

Anandi Gopal works wonders. It is a significant film, not only because it tells the story of a great woman, but also because it points out that things haven’t changed much when it comes to our perspective of strong, successful and ambitious women today.

Last edited by ketan; 12-31-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #14

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
^ I expect Parasite will make its way to your top movies list once you see it. By Gad, I have not even heard of most of the movies you talk about here, but several sound very interesting. Btw @Kurosawa did you see Before We Vanish? I liked that one a good deal, it was the rare KK movie which seemed to have a sense of (deadpan) humor.
I did. I remember liking it for the most part, although it did feel bloated in some places. Certainly one of the better recent Kurosawas. Interestingly, To the Ends of the Earth also features Atsuko Maeda, who was also in Before We Vanish.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #15
Special Member

Dec 2011
God's Own Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashik786 View Post
Malayalam

1.Jallikettu
2.Valiyaperunnal
3. Moothon
4.Tamaasha
5.Android Kunjappan Version 5.25

Tamil

1.Super Deluxe
2.Peranbu
3.Asuran
4.Kaithi
5.Game Over

Telugu

1.Jersey
2.Agent Sai Srinivasa Athreya
3.Brochevarevarura
4.Evaru
5.Gang Leader

Kannada & Hindi

Article 15
Uri: The Surgical Strike
Kavaludaari
Gantumoote
Adding 1 more movie to Kannada. Just saw last night. Avane Srimannarayana

Thanks given by:
ketan (01-17-2020), Zippy56 (02-04-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India