Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Revenge (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The X-Files: The Complete Season 11 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Heat (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.96
8 hrs ago
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Spy Who Dumped Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

A Cure for Wellness (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Blu-ray)
$3.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 03-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #1

Jan 2008
Default Batman Returns Discussion

Did anyone catch Batman Returns when it came on one of the HD movie channels?

The transfer looked amazing and really got me excited about the upcoming blu release of this classic.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #2

Sep 2007

Yeah it did look really good. But that movie is such cheez now in retrospect. Especially after Batman Begins came out.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedogg50 View Post
Yeah it did look really good. But that movie is such cheez now in retrospect. Especially after Batman Begins came out.
But Batman Begins was terrible. Give me Burton's Batman any day of the week and twice on Friday.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2006

I did not see this....at least I know I won't be let down...

if the 1st one has a great transfer, I will be happy..
Old 03-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #5

Feb 2008
Breckenridge Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
But Batman Begins was terrible. Give me Burton's Batman any day of the week and twice on Friday.
no....it was awesome. batman and robin was garbage
Old 03-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2007
Grand Rapids, MI

Both Burton's Batman films were sweet! After that it went downhill in a hurry. I'm amped for Batman and Batman Returns on Blu-ray.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #7

Dec 2007

It's funny. I too am into Batman, but I was never a big fan of BATMAN BEGINS. I know everyone says that it's the best of the bunch, but personally I think the movie robs the character of any mystique. The entire film is basically two hours of exposition that points out every detail of the Batman mythos and repeats it three times. There's nothing mythical about it.

BATMAN RETURNS on the other hand is packed to the brim with mythology, has an even darker tone, a truly gothic Gotham, and some real depth and tragedy to it's villains. I think in terms of what Batman stands for and what sets him apart from say Superman or any of the Marvel heroes, BATMAN RETURNS was a good distillation of that.

I am, of course, waiting for THE DARK KNIGHT. Hopefully now that they've gotten the whole "we're re-writing the franchise" bug out of their system, that this one will get into the meat of the universe.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIHB View Post
no....it was awesome. batman and robin was garbage
Yeah, and I'm not talking about Batman and Robin. I'm talking about the awesome Burton films.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaroadie View Post
It's funny. I too am into Batman, but I was never a big fan of BATMAN BEGINS. I know everyone says that it's the best of the bunch, but personally I think the movie robs the character of any mystique. The entire film is basically two hours of exposition that points out every detail of the Batman mythos and repeats it three times. There's nothing mythical about it.
It is. And it has some pretty shallow one-dimensional villains.

Seriously, Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow have almost zero charater motivation.
Quote:
BATMAN RETURNS on the other hand is packed to the brim with mythology, has an even darker tone, a truly gothic Gotham, and some real depth and tragedy to it's villains. I think in terms of what Batman stands for and what sets him apart from say Superman or any of the Marvel heroes, BATMAN RETURNS was a good distillation of that.
Bingo again. Batman and Batman Returns gave us an exciting and dangerous Gotham City and an interesting Batman. Not to mention like I said before, sympathetic villains with real motivations for why they were doing what they were doing. Joker, Penguin, Catwoman... all of them you could get into their head. Batman Begins seems to have taken DC's normal route of just having one-dimensional bad guys who are just bad for no reason.
Quote:
I am, of course, waiting for THE DARK KNIGHT. Hopefully now that they've gotten the whole "we're re-writing the franchise" bug out of their system, that this one will get into the meat of the universe.
Agreed. I'm looking forward to TDK. But I hope Nolan has worked the kinks out.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #10

Sep 2007
Baltimore, MD

Yeah, I will rebuy the Burton films on Blu-ray for the 3rd time. I bought the regular dvd, then the Dts remastered version, and hopefully the last time on Blu-ray! But, I love Batman just like Superman, Spiderman, and X-men! So, I am really looking forward to buying these and seeing them in glorious HD. Maybe WB will give us lossless!! (Crossing my fingers)
Old 03-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #11

Mar 2007
INDIANA

Batman Begins is definitely better...

But I'm still looking forward to this release
Old 03-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #12

Feb 2008
Texas

What I love most about comic-themed movies is taking the extraordinary and showing what it would look like if it could happen. That was what I like most about Begins; it showed how a "real" person could could be transformed internally and externally into something vengeful. That said, the original two were, of course, fantastic.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #13

Feb 2008
Breckenridge Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
Yeah, and I'm not talking about Batman and Robin. I'm talking about the awesome Burton films.
i know i think the burton ones and batman begines can't be compaired but are all equal, but the two after the burton was garbage
Old 03-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Quote:
i know i think the burton ones and batman begines can't be compaired but are all equal, but the two after the burton was garbage
Batman Forever at least has some positive aspects.

Tommy Lee Jones was fantastic as Two Face. I actually think his character was great in the movie. But sadly his role was cut down so we could get more of Jim Carey's hamfisted Riddler.

Batman and Robin however was complete dreck. Blarg.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay Area

Personally, I think the only good ones were Batman (the first Tim Burton one) and Batman Begins. Batman Returns was okay, but the others were just terrible, IMO.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedEggs View Post
Personally, I think the only good ones were Batman (the first Tim Burton one) and Batman Begins. Batman Returns was okay, but the others were just terrible, IMO.
I liked Batman, Batman Returns and even Batman Forever to an extent....Jim Carrey did well in that role...and Kilmer wasn't bad at all...at all..it's just Schumacker started the process of fagging up Batman in that movie and nailed it down in Batman and Robin...

and obviously Batman Begins is my favorite...it depicts Batman as I think he is intended to be seen...as will TDK...
Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #17

Nov 2007
Ottawa, ON

Quote:
i know i think the burton ones and batman begins can't be compaired but are all equal, but the two after the burton was garbage
Joel Schumacher couldn't direct himself out of a paper bag, that's why. The only movie of his I ever liked was The Lost Boys.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

To be fair to Schumacher, the changes in direction and tone for the last two Batman films were due to studio pressure. They'd gotten a lot of heat for how dark Batman Returns was and wanted to lighten it up some for Batman Forever. And then wanted Batman & Robin to be even more 'Toyetic' to sell action figures.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #19

Jun 2010
UK

I love Batman Returns nut I love Batman 1989 more.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
St Louis Area

I saw Batman Returns in the theatre when it came out. I have watched it a couple times in the last 20 years and still cannot change my opinion on it. I really do not like the film. It is horrible, the penguin is a horrible villain, and I cannot stand Burton and DeVito's take on the character. I also hated Catwoman, I may be in the small minority here but I also hate the character, and Burton and Pfeiffers take on it turned me off wholly. The whole movie just turned me off. That said, Keaton was a great Batman, and Batman was a great movie, I just do not like Batman Returns at all.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies