Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ultra Q: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04
22 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hell Comes to Frogtown (Blu-ray)
$21.99
6 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Zombieland 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.49
3 hrs ago
Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
18 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 06-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Default "Professional" video game streamers

Games already take a long time to play to begin with, but some people seem to have an infinite amount of time to spend on it They want to play games day in and day out and show it to the world for bragging rights. Some have business aspirations and want to be the next PewDiePie. But the majority are small-time streamers that apparently do it just for kicks. This streamer, for instance, has been playing 5 hours a day for nearly every day for the past year. And it's amazing how cheerful she constantly looks. If I played 5 hours non-stop, I would at best be a little irritable, or at worst turn into a tired, incoherent zombie, and I would need time to recover from having been cut off from the world for a prolonged period of time. And here she is playing every day non-stop to a viewership so low that she can't get ad revenue, but has to rely on live donations from viewers. And that brings me to my next point. Doing these live streams is EXPENSIVE. You need a "gaming chair" designed to improve your sitting posture and minimize your fatigue during a marathon stream. You need studio quality lighting equipment, nice clothing, makeup, etc. so you can look good on camera. And of course, you need all the expensive streaming gear: PC, graphics card, fast Internet connection, etc. And most of all, it is the time you lose. I love games like everyone here, but if it turns into a "job," then it ceases to be fun. Gaming should only be a small part of anyone's life, but these people seem to spend a major part of their lives on something that was originally just a hobby for them, and that makes me sad.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Phreak View Post
Games already take a long time to play to begin with, but some people seem to have an infinite amount of time to spend on it They want to play games day in and day out and show it to the world for bragging rights. Some have business aspirations and want to be the next PewDiePie. But the majority are small-time streamers that apparently do it just for kicks. This streamer, for instance, has been playing 5 hours a day for nearly every day for the past year. And it's amazing how cheerful she constantly looks. If I played 5 hours non-stop, I would at best be a little irritable, or at worst turn into a tired, incoherent zombie, and I would need time to recover from having been cut off from the world for a prolonged period of time. And here she is playing every day non-stop to a viewership so low that she can't get ad revenue, but has to rely on live donations from viewers. And that brings me to my next point. Doing these live streams is EXPENSIVE. You need a "gaming chair" designed to improve your sitting posture and minimize your fatigue during a marathon stream. You need studio quality lighting equipment, nice clothing, makeup, etc. so you can look good on camera. And of course, you need all the expensive streaming gear: PC, graphics card, fast Internet connection, etc. And most of all, it is the time you lose. I love games like everyone here, but if it turns into a "job," then it ceases to be fun. Gaming should only be a small part of anyone's life, but these people seem to spend a major part of their lives on something that was originally just a hobby for them, and that makes me sad.
I know this is a late reply, but these pros are getting paid hundreds of thousands, some even millions of $$$ a year to do this. 5 hours a day playing games and getting paid enough to not need to hold down a "real" job is a pretty good deal in my view.
Thanks given by:
Talal86 (08-21-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Expert Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I know this is a late reply, but these pros are getting paid hundreds of thousands, some even millions of $$$ a year to do this. 5 hours a day playing games and getting paid enough to not need to hold down a "real" job is a pretty good deal in my view.
As I said already, there are indeed big-time pros that get paid big time. But most Youtubers aren't like that and certainly NOT this particular Youtuber I mentioned. As I said, she has few subscribers, few views, and has to rely on donations. And she has been doing it for over a year. It's a tough gig to spend hours every day for so long and still have not much of a Youtube career to show for. Unless she does it just for kicks. You must know that the big time pros are the minority, and most of the Youtube gamers are small-timers like this lady I mentioned.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion