Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ultra Q: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hell Comes to Frogtown (Blu-ray)
$21.99
12 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

Zombieland 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.49
9 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA
Amazon Amazon ending 20% off select video game preorders on Aug. 28

They will replace it with a $10 Prime member credit on select games, which does expire 60 days after it's applied to your account.

Here is the new program: https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17911060011
Old 08-20-2018, 11:26 PM   #2

May 2013

NOOOOOOOooooooooo
Old 08-20-2018, 11:55 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011

Lame. Well it was fun while it lasted
Old 08-21-2018, 12:51 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Yeah, saw this one coming when Best Buy ended their discount. Got my preorders locked in for Smash, Let's Go and Mario Party.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

I'm not surprised at all. By and large Amazon has not been a trend setter when it comes to deals, but rather a follower for many years now.

The only reason they ever offered the 20% off was because of Best Buy's gamers club. I figured it was only a matter of time before Amazon followed suit in ending the deal.

The best part is that this $10 thing that they are now doing is them copying something else that Best Buy has been doing for some time in addition to the gamers club. For many major releases, especially in the fall-to-Christmas time frame, if the games are preordered, Best Buy will give you $10 in rewards certificates after the game comes out. This was separate from/in addition to gamers club, and only required being a rewards member which is free to sign up for.

For anyone, like myself, who was both a rewards memeber and a gamers club member, for any applicable games that you preorder, you would get both the up front 20% off of the game AND still get the $10 credit upon picking it up. I took major advantage out of that last year, in which I would apply the $10 credit to the preorder of another game coming out shortly there after, which itself was also offering the $10 reward (so I'm geting 20% off, the $10 off, and then after the game comes out, another $10 off the next thing that I buy).

Between that and things like the extra $1 off trick when preordering online and switching from shipping to in-store pick up with the extra $1 off was offered, I've saved quite a bit on games. And I'll be doing it again this year. I still have about a year left on my Gamers Club membership, and I've already preordered Smash, which also offers the $10 reward upon picking the game up.
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (08-26-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
Expert Member

Aug 2015

I mean if this solves the problem with so many games being unavailable on the site then good. There has been speculation that has been due to publishers not wanting their games to be sold at such a discount. This discount is no good when you can't use to buy anything.

Now I do wonder what they mean by "select games." Will it be all non-deluxe edition physical games as a general rule? Maybe it will only be on games where the publisher doesn't given them crap about this. And I'm guessing it won't apply to $29.99 games since $10 is more than the 20% discount would give even.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #7
Expert Member

Mar 2013

Amazon.ca went from 20% to 10% and it too will be gone as of the 28th, but no mention of the $10 credit here. Thankfully I do most of my shopping during the E3 promos from Walmart and Best Buy.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
Now I do wonder what they mean by "select games." Will it be all non-deluxe edition physical games as a general rule? Maybe it will only be on games where the publisher doesn't given them crap about this. And I'm guessing it won't apply to $29.99 games since $10 is more than the 20% discount would give even.
Select games = whatever games Best Buy gives a $10 preorder bonus to.
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (08-26-2018), Dynamo of Eternia (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
USA

Ugh soooo annoying. I took a break from Amazon Prime this month because of other bills and stuff going on. I was going to get Prime back next week. If I had known this was going to happen I would have made a couple pre orders before my "break".
Old 08-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown450 View Post
Ugh soooo annoying. I took a break from Amazon Prime this month because of other bills and stuff going on. I was going to get Prime back next week. If I had known this was going to happen I would have made a couple pre orders before my "break".
You still have 2 days left, better act quick. They don't charge you until the item ships anyway, might as well do it.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
You still have 2 days left, better act quick. They don't charge you until the item ships anyway, might as well do it.
I try to keep my monthly subscriptions for the beginning of the month. I might just not keep Prime any longer with this change and Twitch Prime dropping the ad free.

Question: Before my membership stopped I did pre order Resident Evil 2 remake for the Prime Discount/Free release day shipping.
If I'm no longer a Prime member when it ships do I still get the Release day shipping/Prime discount?
I have looked around and some say you keep both, others say you keep the shipping but not the discount...
Anyone here know for sure?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #12

Jun 2018

NO I hope amazon does not go the greedy way, or has it already been shifted towards that path.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012

They are taking this benefit away after they raised the Prime membership this year by 20% and after they got that big corporate tax cut last year. What benefits are we getting from all of this?
Old 08-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown450 View Post
I try to keep my monthly subscriptions for the beginning of the month. I might just not keep Prime any longer with this change and Twitch Prime dropping the ad free.

Question: Before my membership stopped I did pre order Resident Evil 2 remake for the Prime Discount/Free release day shipping.
If I'm no longer a Prime member when it ships do I still get the Release day shipping/Prime discount?
I have looked around and some say you keep both, others say you keep the shipping but not the discount...
Anyone here know for sure?
You donít. You have to have prime when it ships to get the discount.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:00 PM   #15
Expert Member

Aug 2015

You do still get free release day shipping though if your prime has run out by the time it ships.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:56 PM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamcero View Post
You donít. You have to have prime when it ships to get the discount.
Not true in my experience. I sign up for 1 month at a time and then place all of my preorders before cancelling the membership and I've always received discount + release day delivery.
Thanks given by:
jetthead (09-01-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion