Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ultra Q: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04
11 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
 
Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
 
Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64
 
X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
7 hrs ago
Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73
 
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99
 
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
 
Who Saw Her Die? (Blu-ray)
$26.42
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
inlayterms inlayterms is offline
Senior Member
 
May 2009
Toronto, ON Canada
Default A letter to game developers...

I'd like to start a thread where we can discuss what features should be incorporated into games to make them more enjoyable for the players. I'm not necessarily talking about any specific game, but games in general.

For instance, one thing I would like to see more of in games is the ability to map the button controls. Too often games provide too few control options or sometimes none at all. Frankly, I think this can be frustrating for the players (primarily left-handed players) but is also counterproductive for developers as it limits the market to which a game is sold (e.g. if a game only has one preset control scheme, which is for right-handed players, how does a developer expect left-handed players to play the game?).

For example, I'm currently playing Dead Space where L2 is "run" and R2 is "secondary firing". Now, I would like to map L2 to "secondary firing" and R2 to "run". It doesn't seem that hard, but I don't know why developers rarely allow custom button mapping.

Another thing is music in a game. Now, unlike most players, I always turn off the music in the options menu. But, if music is part of the game's environment (i.e. the "soundtrack"), I want to hear it, what I don't want to hear is a full orchestra following my player (i.e. the "score").

For example, take the Hitman series. When I'm in the bar in Rotterdam, I want to hear the music that's playing in the bar, I just don't want to hear the music that follows the player around all the time. But, if I turn the music off, I don't hear any music at all. I think developers need to realize the difference between the two and allow the player to turn one, or both of them, on or off.

Finally, option menus should always be in game and not require you to quit your game in order to access it, which simply takes too much time.

What about you guys? Do you agree or disagree with the above? Do you think there are any other standard features that should be incorporated into games in general? I'd like to hear what you have to say.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Steve Steve is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Steve's Avatar
 
May 2008
Jacksonville, FL
54
67
346
41
Default

I'm all for custom button mapping and in-game option menus. The music thing I can take or leave, but I see where it would be desirable to some players.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
mikejet mikejet is offline
Banned
 
mikejet's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA
5
29
Default

I remember some games would allow you to change the controls. Now they feel that you should use certain layouts. I wonder how much more programming it requires to change controls?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
un4gvn94538 un4gvn94538 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
un4gvn94538's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)
12
612
20
1021
222
Default

invert y axis is a MUST. its rare but i have seen a handfull of games this gen that i was unable to change it which led me to leave it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
inlayterms inlayterms is offline
Senior Member
 
May 2009
Toronto, ON Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'm all for custom button mapping and in-game option menus. The music thing I can take or leave, but I see where it would be desirable to some players.
I hear you (pun intended)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejet View Post
I remember some games would allow you to change the controls. Now they feel that you should use certain layouts. I wonder how much more programming it requires to change controls?
Really, how hard can this be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn94538 View Post
invert y axis is a MUST. its rare but i have seen a handfull of games this gen that i was unable to change it which led me to leave it.
Good point! I didn't think of this because I haven't played (and wouldn't play) any game that doesn't offer this option.

On a side note, I wonder how many people inver the X-axis. I've tried it for a lark, but it was just really counterintuitive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Al_The_Strange Al_The_Strange is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Al_The_Strange's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...
126
235
3070
740
468
132
31
Default

I can understand the music thing, but what I'd love to see are more games that allow users to play their own music. After discovering that "Dante's Inferno" and "Bayonetta" allow me to access and play my own playlists from the menu, it was really fun (gotta love slaying angels and demons with Epica and Korn in the background!). But I haven't found very many other games that allow this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
brettallica brettallica is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
brettallica's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
51
79
6
Send a message via AIM to brettallica
Default

It would be interesting to see left-handed controllers for southpaws. Some of the modern controllers are symmetrical, so in the case of those particular models, all it would take is some button-mapping (mentioned earlier). It would be cool if we could get controllers for the lefties, though, for the controllers that aren't symmetrical.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
Steve Steve is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Steve's Avatar
 
May 2008
Jacksonville, FL
54
67
346
41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post
It would be interesting to see left-handed controllers for southpaws. Some of the modern controllers are symmetrical, so in the case of those particular models, all it would take is some button-mapping (mentioned earlier). It would be cool if we could get controllers for the lefties, though, for the controllers that aren't symmetrical.
I'm a lefty and I've never had an issue with any game. IMO it would be pointless. It takes full use of both hands to work the controller so I don't really see where one hand is dominant over the other. That's just my opinion however, and if people think it would be a benefit then I would never stand in the way of it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
brettallica brettallica is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
brettallica's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
51
79
6
Send a message via AIM to brettallica
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'm a lefty and I've never had an issue with any game. IMO it would be pointless. It takes full use of both hands to work the controller so I don't really see where one hand is dominant over the other. That's just my opinion however, and if people think it would be a benefit then I would never stand in the way of it.


I'm also a lefty, and have been playing games my whole life with "righty" controllers, so I'm right there with you: it makes no difference to me. It would just be kind of cool if they could change the way things are done now that the software and hardware can handle it. Just in terms of those who are starting out with games, they'd now have an option of playing with a controller that suits them, instead of having to learn/conform.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
Steve Steve is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Steve's Avatar
 
May 2008
Jacksonville, FL
54
67
346
41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post


I'm also a lefty, and have been playing games my whole life with "righty" controllers, so I'm right there with you: it makes no difference to me. It would just be kind of cool if they could change the way things are done now that the software and hardware can handle it. Just in terms of those who are starting out with games, they'd now have an option of playing with a controller that suits them, instead of having to learn/conform.
At this point I probably couldn't switch if my life depended on it because I've been playing the same way for so long.

However, IMO if they're going to make left handed control schemes then they should just make left handed controllers that are an exact mirror image of the ones we have now. If you truly want to be left-handed friendly, that seems the only option to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #11
brettallica brettallica is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
brettallica's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
51
79
6
Send a message via AIM to brettallica
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
At this point I probably couldn't switch if my life depended on it because I've been playing the same way for so long.

However, IMO if they're going to make left handed control schemes then they should just make left handed controllers that are an exact mirror image of the ones we have now. If you truly want to be left-handed friendly, that seems the only option to me.
Agreed. I could not make the switch either. It's just become natural to do it this way. I remember a loooong time ago, back when kids played video games at arcades, when I first played I had that idea. I guess it's just more of a memory and not really practical...now that you've officially rained on my parade.

You're just gonna let the man keep us lefties down, huh? I see how it is. We'll never be equal to those who are dexterously blessed if you let this ideology continue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #12
Steve Steve is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Steve's Avatar
 
May 2008
Jacksonville, FL
54
67
346
41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post
Agreed. I could not make the switch either. It's just become natural to do it this way. I remember a loooong time ago, back when kids played video games at arcades, when I first played I had that idea. I guess it's just more of a memory and not really practical...now that you've officially rained on my parade.

You're just gonna let the man keep us lefties down, huh? I see how it is. We'll never be equal to those who are dexterously blessed if you let this ideology continue.
Unfortunately it's a right handed world. My wife is left handed as well though, so at least my house is 100% in their right minds. I couldn't go to riding a motorcycle if the controls were reversed at this point either. I would end up a hood ornament or a speed bump or something if I tried.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Possible good news for UK based game developers Gaming General Discussion NARMAK 0 03-24-2010 06:26 PM
Game Developers Conference 2009 (GDC) - Project Offset is still alive ! PS3 Toxa 25 03-30-2009 12:50 PM
Dark Mist - new PSN game from developers of Folklore PS3 Shin-Ra 9 03-03-2008 12:18 AM
publishers or developers...who's to blame?? PS3 kx11 4 09-09-2007 04:20 AM
Game developers developing backwards PS3 greekjgg 60 07-07-2007 11:35 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:08 AM.