Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ultra Q: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04
11 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
7 hrs ago
Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Who Saw Her Die? (Blu-ray)
$26.42
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 03-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #1

May 2009
Toronto, ON Canada
Default A letter to game developers...

I'd like to start a thread where we can discuss what features should be incorporated into games to make them more enjoyable for the players. I'm not necessarily talking about any specific game, but games in general.

For instance, one thing I would like to see more of in games is the ability to map the button controls. Too often games provide too few control options or sometimes none at all. Frankly, I think this can be frustrating for the players (primarily left-handed players) but is also counterproductive for developers as it limits the market to which a game is sold (e.g. if a game only has one preset control scheme, which is for right-handed players, how does a developer expect left-handed players to play the game?).

For example, I'm currently playing Dead Space where L2 is "run" and R2 is "secondary firing". Now, I would like to map L2 to "secondary firing" and R2 to "run". It doesn't seem that hard, but I don't know why developers rarely allow custom button mapping.

Another thing is music in a game. Now, unlike most players, I always turn off the music in the options menu. But, if music is part of the game's environment (i.e. the "soundtrack"), I want to hear it, what I don't want to hear is a full orchestra following my player (i.e. the "score").

For example, take the Hitman series. When I'm in the bar in Rotterdam, I want to hear the music that's playing in the bar, I just don't want to hear the music that follows the player around all the time. But, if I turn the music off, I don't hear any music at all. I think developers need to realize the difference between the two and allow the player to turn one, or both of them, on or off.

Finally, option menus should always be in game and not require you to quit your game in order to access it, which simply takes too much time.

What about you guys? Do you agree or disagree with the above? Do you think there are any other standard features that should be incorporated into games in general? I'd like to hear what you have to say.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

I'm all for custom button mapping and in-game option menus. The music thing I can take or leave, but I see where it would be desirable to some players.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

I remember some games would allow you to change the controls. Now they feel that you should use certain layouts. I wonder how much more programming it requires to change controls?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)

invert y axis is a MUST. its rare but i have seen a handfull of games this gen that i was unable to change it which led me to leave it.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #5

May 2009
Toronto, ON Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'm all for custom button mapping and in-game option menus. The music thing I can take or leave, but I see where it would be desirable to some players.
I hear you (pun intended)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejet View Post
I remember some games would allow you to change the controls. Now they feel that you should use certain layouts. I wonder how much more programming it requires to change controls?
Really, how hard can this be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn94538 View Post
invert y axis is a MUST. its rare but i have seen a handfull of games this gen that i was unable to change it which led me to leave it.
Good point! I didn't think of this because I haven't played (and wouldn't play) any game that doesn't offer this option.

On a side note, I wonder how many people inver the X-axis. I've tried it for a lark, but it was just really counterintuitive.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

I can understand the music thing, but what I'd love to see are more games that allow users to play their own music. After discovering that "Dante's Inferno" and "Bayonetta" allow me to access and play my own playlists from the menu, it was really fun (gotta love slaying angels and demons with Epica and Korn in the background!). But I haven't found very many other games that allow this.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

It would be interesting to see left-handed controllers for southpaws. Some of the modern controllers are symmetrical, so in the case of those particular models, all it would take is some button-mapping (mentioned earlier). It would be cool if we could get controllers for the lefties, though, for the controllers that aren't symmetrical.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post
It would be interesting to see left-handed controllers for southpaws. Some of the modern controllers are symmetrical, so in the case of those particular models, all it would take is some button-mapping (mentioned earlier). It would be cool if we could get controllers for the lefties, though, for the controllers that aren't symmetrical.
I'm a lefty and I've never had an issue with any game. IMO it would be pointless. It takes full use of both hands to work the controller so I don't really see where one hand is dominant over the other. That's just my opinion however, and if people think it would be a benefit then I would never stand in the way of it.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California

Quote:
I'm a lefty and I've never had an issue with any game. IMO it would be pointless. It takes full use of both hands to work the controller so I don't really see where one hand is dominant over the other. That's just my opinion however, and if people think it would be a benefit then I would never stand in the way of it.

I'm also a lefty, and have been playing games my whole life with "righty" controllers, so I'm right there with you: it makes no difference to me. It would just be kind of cool if they could change the way things are done now that the software and hardware can handle it. Just in terms of those who are starting out with games, they'd now have an option of playing with a controller that suits them, instead of having to learn/conform.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:

I'm also a lefty, and have been playing games my whole life with "righty" controllers, so I'm right there with you: it makes no difference to me. It would just be kind of cool if they could change the way things are done now that the software and hardware can handle it. Just in terms of those who are starting out with games, they'd now have an option of playing with a controller that suits them, instead of having to learn/conform.
At this point I probably couldn't switch if my life depended on it because I've been playing the same way for so long.

However, IMO if they're going to make left handed control schemes then they should just make left handed controllers that are an exact mirror image of the ones we have now. If you truly want to be left-handed friendly, that seems the only option to me.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California

Quote:
At this point I probably couldn't switch if my life depended on it because I've been playing the same way for so long.

However, IMO if they're going to make left handed control schemes then they should just make left handed controllers that are an exact mirror image of the ones we have now. If you truly want to be left-handed friendly, that seems the only option to me.
Agreed. I could not make the switch either. It's just become natural to do it this way. I remember a loooong time ago, back when kids played video games at arcades, when I first played I had that idea. I guess it's just more of a memory and not really practical...now that you've officially rained on my parade.

You're just gonna let the man keep us lefties down, huh? I see how it is. We'll never be equal to those who are dexterously blessed if you let this ideology continue.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Agreed. I could not make the switch either. It's just become natural to do it this way. I remember a loooong time ago, back when kids played video games at arcades, when I first played I had that idea. I guess it's just more of a memory and not really practical...now that you've officially rained on my parade.

You're just gonna let the man keep us lefties down, huh? I see how it is. We'll never be equal to those who are dexterously blessed if you let this ideology continue.
Unfortunately it's a right handed world. My wife is left handed as well though, so at least my house is 100% in their right minds. I couldn't go to riding a motorcycle if the controls were reversed at this point either. I would end up a hood ornament or a speed bump or something if I tried.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion