Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: The Bourne Ultimate Collection… $19.99 (11 mins left)
Prime: How to Train Your Dragon: The … $11.99 (41 mins left)
Prime: Halloween $9.99 (1 hour left)
Prime: Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague $17.11 (37 sec left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
5 hrs ago
Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
7 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Overlord (Blu-ray)
$9.96
6 hrs ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19
19 hrs ago
Die Hard Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

The Mel Brooks Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 05-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Default anyone here keep sealed copies of games?

now that gaming is maturing, we now have a lot of old and rare games.
do any of you buy games and keep them sealed, never opening them hoping they earn "rare" status down the road?

nowadays AAA titles are mass produced..so I kinda doubt they'll be rare anytime soon..
but then again Final Fantasy 7 made it to the greatest hits but the original release is now considered a collector's item.

right now I only have 2 games that are still new and never been opened.
Final Fantasy 10 on the PS2 and Final Fantasy Crisis Core on the PSP.

they may never become collector's items but they're the 2 games I keep since they are also the 2 games I had enjoyed..would have loved to have kept sealed copies of FF7, FF8, Resident Evil 1 and 2, and a bunch of other hard to find games on the PS1, but I was young then and wasn't thinking about this kind of stuff yet.

but anyway yeah what's you're collection?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)

nope. since buying a ps3 at launch, i have re-purchased psone and ps2 games that i like. at the moment, prices are high enough that i will only purchase one to play. then you have other games that will re-release as goty with additional content. people buying in the future will want the additional content.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

I have some 2600 titles:

Asteroids
Space Invaders
Jungle Hunt
Dig Dug
Battlezone
Centipede
Joust
Defender
Demon Attack
Old 05-01-2010, 03:06 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
I have some 2600 titles:

Asteroids
Space Invaders
Jungle Hunt
Dig Dug
Battlezone
Centipede
Joust
Defender
Demon Attack
nice you've got yourself classics right there
Old 05-01-2010, 03:08 AM   #5

Jul 2008

I have sealed copies, but the only reason they are sealed is because I haven't found the time to play them
Old 05-01-2010, 05:28 AM   #6

Dec 2009
Utah
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

I just bought Dig Dug for the 7800 and it's still sealed. I'll be opening it right away and playing it. I don't give a crap about sealed games. I buy them to play them.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Not me. All my games are opened up as soon as I get home.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
Special Member

Jul 2009
Minnesota, USA

I keep my games sealed until I play them and I often have more games than time to play so I have a bunch of games that are sealed. Very few are rare or worth anything though. I do have a sealed copy of Psychonauts. I have a feeling one day that might be valuable.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2007
California

On some things no matter if it's games, dvds, Blu-rays, cds, manga, and so on that I buy, if it's something I really like I usually buy like 3 copies: 1 for my use, 1 for lending out to friends, and another for spreading the hype on my favorite things to people(which I keep sealed). I especially do this with limited editions that are my favorites. Sometimes I forget who I lend my stuff to on the loaners so buy another when I have money. As for games that are for my use I play them right away usually depending on how busy I am with other stuff.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
AB,Canada

I have a sealed copy of Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 and 3 for the Super Nintendo.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
CT Shoreline

I wanted to have a sealed copy of all the Zelda games, but by the time I decided to collect them it was way too expensive to hunt down copies of every game. The one I do have sealed is the Zelda Collector's Edition Promotional Gamecube disc. I also have a sealed Warioware Touched for the DS.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

I have quite a few sealed titles (most are on the PS2 platform), but the only ones I can remember off-hand are the following:
  • Devil May Cry 4: Collector's Edition Steelbook (PS3)
  • Final Fantasy XII Steelbook
  • God Of War II
  • Resident Evil IV Steelbook (Gamecube)
Problem is, I have a fairly sizeable game collection and all of my game purchases prior to 2009 were boxed up (and stayed boxed) when I moved to a house.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

I have sealed copies of movies. Such as Bad Lieutenant (Remake), Gommorah (I wanted to rewatch it), a couple of biblical epics (The Robe and The Passion of the Christ), and just today I opened my copy of Avatar I had laying around since launch, so yes I don't have alot of time on my hands .
Old 05-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #14
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

No, I don't keep anything sealed. I buy games to play and not so much to collect. The only instance I'd ever consider keeping a game sealed is if I came across something rare, like a classic NES or Atari game.

I do however keep the games I do have in mint condition. Almost all my games were bought new, as my OCD doesn't really allow me to buy used stuff. Outside of a few PS1 or Dreamcast games with slightly cracked cases due to wear everything I have is opened but good as new.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

I see there are several here that have nice games kept..and I'm glad I'm not the only one that has OCD when it comes to my games lol
Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2007
Arlington, Texas PSNetwork: dk3dknight PostCount: 0001
Send a message via MSN to dk3dknight Send a message via Yahoo to dk3dknight

I find keeping sealed games the most depressing concept ive ever heard.. no excuses not even havn't found time..

Hell After I buy a collection of games I try each one for a bit before actually choosing which one to beat first.

Collectors tend to be the worst enemies of gamers as they horde onto games and then wait 10 - 20 years and sell them for 100 dollars to real gamers in a hope to extort folks looking for old games.

Of course if your just keeping them for posterity power to you, just don't horde them to only extort gamers.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk3dknight View Post
I find keeping sealed games the most depressing concept ive ever heard.. no excuses not even havn't found time..

Hell After I buy a collection of games I try each one for a bit before actually choosing which one to beat first.

Collectors tend to be the worst enemies of gamers as they horde onto games and then wait 10 - 20 years and sell them for 100 dollars to real gamers in a hope to extort folks looking for old games.

Of course if your just keeping them for posterity power to you, just don't horde them to only extort gamers.
So when I sell my comic books from the 70's and early 80's I'll be extorting geeks? So be it, I'll be the one with a wad of cash in my pocket.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #18
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
So when I sell my comic books from the 70's and early 80's I'll be extorting geeks? So be it, I'll be the one with a wad of cash in my pocket.
Its not really extortion either if someone holds something for a LONG LONG time, and someone else wants that brand new fresh item they will have to pay for it lol, example: I could go buy zelda a link to the past for $9 or less used on ebay, but if I want it brand new its like 190+, so if someone keeps something in pristine condition for years I have no problems with them wanting to make a profit for that time keeping it in good condition.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

I normally collect my games to play them, so they're usually opened right away. I was looking through my Dreamcast games last night, and I noticed I have 5 Dreamcast games that are still sealed with the original shrinkwrap. They are:

Incoming
Virtua Athlete
Virtua Tennis 2K2 (extra copy I bought in a bundle)
Ooga Booga
Marvel Vs Capcom 1

Too many games, too little time. At this point, the only one I'm contemplating not opening is Marvel Vs Capcom. I don't know if I could ever sell it, but I'll need to see if sealed copies are worth anything on Ebay.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #20
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofgrills View Post
Marvel Vs Capcom. I don't know if I could ever sell it, but I'll need to see if sealed copies are worth anything on Ebay.
I see prices on that game (not just dreamcast) for like 40ish used so brand new I'd continue to hang onto it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion