Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: How to Train Your Dragon: The … $11.99 (6 mins left)
Prime: Halloween $9.99 (26 mins left)
Prime: K-ON Complete Collection Premi… $135.30 (41 sec left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
6 hrs ago
Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
8 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Overlord (Blu-ray)
$9.96
6 hrs ago
Die Hard Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19
20 hrs ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

The Mel Brooks Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 08-24-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
Banned

Jan 2010
Hollywood, Yugoslavia
Default Anybody feel a greater attachment to their older Consoles

Don't get me wrong I use to own a PS3 and the graphics were just stunning and very immersive and I'm sure the 360 is just as good.

However I readily sold my PS3 when it broke down and went back to playing with my original xbox. I find I don't mind the low res graphics as long as the game play is good and I actually think the old xbox controller is better than the PS3 controller. All I know is if my xbox brokedown I would be more inclined to get it fixed.

I NES broke down recently after 25 years and I think I will be taking it to the repair shop.

Anyone else prefer their old consoles?

Maybe I'm just nostalgic.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I do miss the original Nintendo because of all the hours I spent playing on it but honestly the graphics were horrible. The PSX, SNES and PS2 were a lot better and had better games as a result.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
Banned

Jul 2010
Hudson Valley, NY

I definitely miss the old school games. You know, from when there was variety, innovation, creativity... Basically when every title wasn't trying to fit the same exact mold and when every gamer wasn't satisfied playing the same game over & over & over (only with a different coat of paint).
Old 08-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #4

Feb 2010
Virginia

SEGA DREAMCAST!!!!! The only console I refuse to let go
Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

I have a 2600, Colecovision and Intellivision I still play regularly. Even have an Odyssey II for K.C Munchkin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07JtE...eature=related
Old 08-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Awe man easily. I mean we still have access to some of those games even today but its nuthin like back in the day as a youngster just gaming up on games like Ghost & Goblins, Trojan, Commando, Rush N' Attack, & of course the regular masterpieces in the Mario, Zelda, & Castlevania franchises. Great days man. I can still play all of those til this day. The greatest gaming era period. Got Em!!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZAR View Post
Awe man easily. I mean we still have access to some of those games even today but its nuthin like back in the day as a youngster just gaming up on games like Ghost & Goblins, Trojan, Commando, Rush N' Attack, & of course the regular masterpieces in the Mario, Zelda, & Castlevania franchises. Great days man. I can still play all of those til this day. The greatest gaming era period. Got Em!!
How dare you forget Double Dragon and Contra!

Been a long time since I've played Commando, may have to pull that one out soon.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
How dare you forget Double Dragon and Contra!

Been a long time since I've played Commando, may have to pull that one out soon.
Awe man the classics are endless on Nintendo man. Im sure there are even more that I forgot. I was just naming a few from the memories of our youngin days haha. Hey we can also add Mike Tyson's Punchout, Double Dribble, RC Pro Am, Excitebike, & ofcourse another masterpiece Metroid! Got Em!!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZAR View Post
Awe man the classics are endless on Nintendo man. Im sure there are even more that I forgot. I was just naming a few from the memories of our youngin days haha. Hey we can also add Mike Tyson's Punchout, Double Dribble, RC Pro Am, Excitebike, & ofcourse another masterpiece Metroid! Got Em!!
I remember playing Double Dribble for hours. Exitebike was another one, used to love making impossible tracks and then racing them with friends.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Quote:
I remember playing Double Dribble for hours. Exitebike was another one, used to love making impossible tracks and then racing them with friends.
Man Excitebike was the game. I remember making tracks also after u got to a certain point haha. Fools overheating all the time. Yep another classic for sure. Im telling u it doesnt stop. Those were the days. Got Em!!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
Special Member

Jul 2008

I think if you look at things objectively, there are great games with solid gameplay across all the generations of consoles, including the current one. For most people it comes down to a *style* of gameplay that they're most drawn to.

Personally, I'm mostly drawn to the simpler gameplay of vintage games. For example, Kaboom! for the Atari 2600 is still one of my favorite games of all time. Most current gamers would scoff at that, but it's easy to appreciate how much intensity and addictiveness the game packs into an absurdly simple concept. However, I also really love some current gen games like Arkham Asylum, Team Fortress 2, Super Mario Galaxy, etc. I just don't have a lifestyle that supports the time and learning curve needed to master a lot of these kinds of games to the extent that many current gen gamers do. It takes me anywhere from weeks to months to get through a 10 to 15-hour game. But Kaboom! can give me a thrill even when I just have a few minutes to play.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

I miss tons of games. When I had xbox, the best part was that my friend gave me a two discs, one had all the Atari, SNES, Genesis, Turbo Grafix, etc
The other had a ton of MAME Arcade games.

I wish I still had it, not sure what happened to it

Other than that I love my PS3, wish I could play my favorite PS2 games on it as well.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

There's a certain irony in video games now vs. then that people often overlook (including myself).

Think back to the NES days and recall how many games shared the same sprites. They all kind of looked the same, especially games that were made by the same company. A classic example is Technos and Super Dodgeball vs. World Cup Soccer:

The games were totally creative and innovative, though, because everything was new and developers were exploring new things and ways to deliver unique game play elements. They were limited to the technology of the times and were forced to innovate based on the tools they had at their disposal. It was almost like the graphics were secondary, or maybe 1b compared to the 1a that was game play.

Now, all the games look totally different and are stunning graphically, but the games themselves aren't very varied for whatever reason. It's like the creativity of the developers has been focused on the prettiness of the game and not the fun.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
Anyone else prefer their old consoles?
With the exception of the Atari 2600 and a PONG console (which were sold when I had to move to Canada), I kept every console that I have purchased. I think the only one I miss was my SNES, which I used almost exclusively for Killer Instinct (it's still in my parents' basement, but I should move it to my house). Even though I have the ROM, nothing beats playing it with the SNES controller.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluStation 3 View Post
SEGA DREAMCAST!!!!! The only console I refuse to let go
+1. I still have and use my Dreamcast regularly. I have around 160 games for it and countless controllers. It's still the best home arcade machine ever made due to its compatibility with the NAOMI arcade board. There were a ton of arcade perfect conversions released for Dreamcast.

I also have my original Atari 2600 and ColecoVisions in their original boxes, and also my PS2 as well. I plan on setting up the ColecoVision and Atari soon.

However, my 60 GB launch PS3 by design is the main entertainment hub for my home theater room. It plays games (PS3, PS2, and PS1), movies (Blu-rays and DVDs), music (SACDs and CDs), and also streams music, video and photos from my tower and laptop PCs. As much as I love the Dreamcast and always will, the PS3 is powering most of the entertainment in my room now.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Yeah Double Dribble ruled. You could always hit a 3pt shot in the upper corner.

I miss some of my consoles. The one I should have kept was my Dreamcast. I sold it two years ago.. I really wanted that system to succeed. I still have my Sega Genesis from 1992. I need to find a controller for it. Not sure if I have any games for it still lol.. My NES, Colecovision, SNES and PS1 are long gone. I still have alot of PS1 games though. I had a JP import mini PSOne for awhile.

I still have my launch PS2 and a JP import fat white PS2. I have many games for that system. I plan on keeping those.

The majority of my gaming is on my 60GB PS3. I like this generation of gaming..but I had more fun during the SNES/PS1 era. Of course those 3D PSX games have not aged well...yuck. Some of them induce headaches now. lol

I also play roms of 90's Capcom 2D fighters. I wish Capcom would officially release some of these. I'd love X-men VS Street Fighter in HD with online play. Last but not least..Darkstalkers?..anything? it's been like 10 years.. Yoshinori Ono wants a new game but the higher ups at Capcom (along with Namco) liked his and Katsuhiro Harada's SF X Tekken idea first..

Last edited by bandit29; 08-26-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #17

May 2009

I still have and use all of my old consoles and have never sold any of my games...except for my XBOX 360 games because I had 3 consoles break on me and enough is enough. I own every Nintendo console as well as: Sega/SegaCD/32X/Saturn/Dreamcast, TurboGrafx/TurboGrafx CD, Neo Geo AES/CD, 3DO and last and probably least, the Atari Jaguar. I also had the Phillips CDi but that is just kind of embarrassing. I still play all of them except the Jaguar...which is only brought out to show people how horrible it is. Same goes for the the Virtual Boy I guess. I play the TurboGrafx quite a bit as I am a big fan of those top-down shooters they made tons of. I have my vintage systems hooked up to a tube TV because they look horrible on my HDTV. I'm looking into buying a higher end tube TV for these purposes and wondering if anyone here has a set-up they can recommend. I want something in the 32 inch range. I'm also planning on hooking up the LD player to the same TV if that makes a difference.

But back to the question, I play my PS3 games about as much as I play my older consoles. SNES is always a fun time waster and you really can't beat the classic shmup or side-scroller...and thank you Nintendo for making New Super Mario Bros Wii and Galaxy 2...and a Boy and his Blob because I was getting pretty disappointed in you. Sega CD also has pretty decent games like Snatcher and Lunar that I usually play through once a year. I only own about 20 Neo Geo games between the 2 systems so that rarely comes out...especially the Neo CD with its ridiculous load times.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:41 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Too me nothing will beat the ps1 era... such a large jump in the evolution of games and innovation abound because of it. Unfortunetly other then refining shiny graphics that drive has been lost imo.

Of course i still love games on all the consoles from the original atari, to the current gen, and who doesn't love the dreamcast a console that died way before its time that was way ahead of its time in terms of online.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

I feel VERY attached to my Gamecube but not to my Wii. My 360 has a special place in my heart as well. My GC was my first console.... I love it very much, had it since xmas in it's release year.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post
Now, all the games look totally different and are stunning graphically, but the games themselves aren't very varied for whatever reason. It's like the creativity of the developers has been focused on the prettiness of the game and not the fun.
This is an area of discussion I have tackled countless times, mostly on PC tech forums, where greater emphasis has shifted towards in-game detail and framerate, and innovative gameplay is deemed secondary or irrelevant (seeing as 90%+ of the game-related topics revolve around FPS).

I think the role of the game designer has been undermined in favour of genres and gameplay that appeal to the most common denominator, i.e. those who are more comfortable sticking to the tried-and-true, rather than venturing beyond their comfort zone of what they define as entertaining or engaging. Also, with astronomical game development costs and livelihoods on the line with every major project, the level of risk may be too high for many studios to undertake.

There are good ideas out there, usually made available through independent developers and upstarts that have broken away from parent developers (e.g. Media Molecule, developer of LittleBigPlanet, is comprised of former Lionhead Studios employees), so creativity is still out there. Diversity in gameplay is important to me, so I will support those who are willing to take a gamble to bring us something fresh to the table.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion