Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Metropolis ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$43.99
16 hrs ago
Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
5 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.00
5 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99

The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$33.03

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which system do you think will last longer.
Xbox 360 41 53.25%
PS3 63 81.82%
Nintendo Wii 28 36.36%
Nintendo 3DS 3 3.90%
PSP 19 24.68%
none of these 3 3.90%
Sorry, i don't play video games 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Banned

Aug 2010
U.S.A
Default !!SOUND OFF!!What Systems do you own

For me:

Xbox 360
Nintendo Wii

Also what are your Favorite games for each for me:

Xbox= Elderscrolls
Grand theft 4
Gears of war{all}

Nintendo Wii= Super mario galaxy{ 1+2)
Legend of zelda{all of them}

Vote in the above poll about which system do you think will last the longest.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

For me:

PS3
Nintendo Wii
sold my replacement 360 a long time ago, not a fan of dealing with hassle.

Also what are your Favorite games for each for me:

Xbox360: GRAW
Nintendo Wii: Super Mario Brothers Wii
PS3: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Vote in the above poll about which system do you think will last the longest.
PS3 and Wii.. well to be fair the Wii may last longer as it doesn't get used nearly as much as the PS3.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)

xbox 360 and ps3

others include
ps2
gamecube
n64
Old 03-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
The Great White North
Send a message via Yahoo to Glassroots
Canada

I own:

PS3
PS2
Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

ps2
ps1

plans to buy a ps3 soon for a backup blu-player, and a few titles i wouldn't mind getting.

360: gears of war 1 (the pinnacle of online play imo), modern warfare 2, arkham asylum, dead rising, viva pinata

ps2: battlefront (pinnacle of this gens online play... i love my shotgun play), champions of norrath.

ps1: xcom ufo defense, a greater game has yet to be made on any system! FACT
Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
South Dakota

PS3 - multi purpose, well built. This will last the longest.

Favorite games this gen are going to be Oblivion, both Fall Outs, the entire MGS series, and Dead Space. If I were to go into honorable mentions, it would be a whole lot more, lol. Not the best gen, but lots to choose from. Tons more games that I haven't yet played that top people's lists, like Uncharted and God of War. I have them, just haven't gotten them out of the shrink wrap! In fact, literally 1/3 of my games are still in shrink wrap, lol.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #7

Jan 2008

PS3
Xbox 360 Slim
Xbox 360 Elite
Wii
PS2 Slim
Xbox
Ps1 Slim
2 Snes Systems
3 NES Systems (2 work)
Game Boy
Game Boy Advance
Dreamcast
N64
Atari 2600
Sega Genesis
Sega Saturn

All the ones in bold are in boxes in the closet, nowhere to put them

Last edited by aboothlsu; 03-16-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
Blu-ray Count

May 2009
Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Currently, I own....

PS3
PS2 (Doesn't work anymore, sadly)
PSP
Wii
DS

I used to own the following...

PS1
Nintendo 64
GameBoy Advance
Sega Dreamcast
Old 03-17-2011, 02:03 AM   #9
Banned

Feb 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Send a message via AIM to linkgx1

Why not DS?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:52 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

PS3 is the only console I currently use, and I originally bought my PS3 as a Blu ray player now I only use my Oppo BD 83.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:02 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Gatineau QC Canada
Send a message via MSN to lucv13
Canada

Launch 20gb PS3 - recently upgraded drive - 250gb...
Old 03-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #12

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Pooh View Post
OWNED & IN USE

Xbox 360 (2): Test Drive Unlimited, Dragon Age Origins & Forza Motorsport 3
PS3: Gran Turismo 5 & Heavy Rain
Wii: The Sims Castaway & Wii Sports
DS: (it's the Wife's)

OWNED BUT NOT IN USE

Xbox: Knights of the Old Republic (all-time favorite game), NFS Underground 2, The Urbz & Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat
PS2: Gran Turismo 4, Final Fantasy X, Dog's Life & RPG Maker III
Gamecube: Animal Crossing & Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2
Dreamcast (2): Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Tokyo Extreme Racer, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure & Phantasy Star Online
Playstation: Final Fantasy VII/VIII, Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, Blood Omen: The Legacy of Kain, Gex 2, Motor Toon GP, Tomb Raider, Tecmo's Deception, Treasures of the Deep, Crash Team Racing, Blasto, NFL Gameday, Wipeout & Riven
3DO: The Need for Speed, Gex & Myst
Atari Jaguar: Alien Vs. Predator, DOOM & Club Drive
Sega Genesis/Sega CD: Flashback, SNATCHER, The Adventures of Willy Beamish, The Sword of Vermillion. Shining Force & Phantasy Star III/IV
Atari LYNX: Todd's Adventures in Slime World, Hard Drivin' & Xenophobe
Atari 7800: Xevious, Pole Position & Joust
Atari 5200: Countermeasure, Rescue on Fractalus & Miner 2049er
ColecoVision: Donkey Kong, Zaxxon & Venture
Atari 2600: Adventure, Pitfall, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jungle Hunt, Space Invaders, Defender, Missle Command & Asteroids

Currently, I think the 360 will have the longest lifespan. It's got the biggest (and arguably the best) library & the best online service. Plus, Kinect (as much as I don't like it) seems to be the big new hit peripheral. The PS3 may be a good BD player, but I believe we're past the point of that being a big selling point, as BD is now close to replacing DVD. With that, the general consumer will be purchasing standalone BD players for movies and the PS3 will have to survive more & more as a game machine than anything else.
+1, Im own a PS3 and use it only as a blu ray player, not thats its better or worse but I dont know a single person that plays online on the ps3. And the xbox just has more games and better exclusives.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Current:
PS3
Wii
DS

In storage:
NES
SNES
Genesis + 32x
N64
Playstation
PS2
Gamecube
Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Reducing Your Planet To A Burned Out Cinder

360 Slim
Old 03-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2010

Currently I own:
SNES (Killer Instinct Bundle)
DS (Mario Kart LE)
DSL (Zelda PH LE)
PS1 (Orginal Silver DS version)
PS2 (Original Huge blue-box)
PS3 (Motorstorm Bundle PS2-semi-backwards compatible)
GameCube (With Component Cable Output) Currently using it for GBA Player :-D

Most Used systems:
SNES - Simply love this one a lot. My favorite. Golden Age of gamig :-D
DSL - My DS backlog just keeps increasing. Stupid Pokemon Platimun LOL :-D
PS3 - Blu-ray Player.... well sometimes MvC3 been a while since I used it for games...
Wii - Just collects Dust these days... Maybe it'll get more action once Zelda comes out and SMG3 if it ever LOL :-D

As you can tell, I'm slowly becoming a Retro gamer... :-( Newer stuff... well... "Graphics" "killing people" Etc... gets boring after a while...
Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
Banned

Jul 2010
Hudson Valley, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboothlsu View Post
+1, Im own a PS3 and use it only as a blu ray player, not thats its better or worse but I dont know a single person that plays online on the ps3. And the xbox just has more games and better exclusives.
It's funny, because I've never once used my PS3 as a BD player. To be honest, I've never used any game console for anything other than games. But yeah, the 360 does have way more games. In my honest opinion, I'm really not that thrilled with the direction this generation has taken as far as games go. Many different genres are starting to look alike, and quite a good number of games seem to be being severely dumbed down in order to appeal to the casual gamer & the button mashing crowd. I found the same to be true last generation, but not to such a degree. As far as A-list titles go, there is extremely little in the way of variety this generation. Besides Live, I think what is really giving the 360 the edge is that fact that it has a much bigger library than the PS3. I really think people will bore of Kinect pretty quickly.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:06 AM   #17
Expert Member

Jan 2007
middle of nowere, IL.

PS3, 360, Wii , PSP, Nintendo DS, N64, PS2 (x3), PSOne

Favorite games:

PS3 : God of War franchise, Ratchet & Clank franchise, Killzone franchise, Uncharted franchise

360: Gears of War franchise, RB6: Vegas 1 & 2

Wii: Sports

PSP: God of War,R&C

N64: Zelda

I agree that the 360 has superior on-line IMO for basically the following reasons.

1. Unified invite system, I can invite anyone to play regardless of what he/she or myself is doing at the time.

2. Cross game chat- doesn't seem like a big deal but say you and a buddy are playing the same single player game you can help each other out.

3. Party system you can go into a party with your friends and follow each other from match to match without having to listen to the 10-12 year old whiners on your side during the match.

4. Private chat while doing other things. This is a good way to see if a friend wants to game if they are playing a single player game.

5. Voice message- You can send a 5-10 second voice message which is way faster than texting.

As for which one will have the longer life span = PS3
Why?
Three reasons I can think of:
1. Sony is committed to a 10 year life cycle. (MS is more like 5)

2. Blu-ray you can't argue the benefits of more storage for game developers. It equals better graphics and bigger levels and better sound design if the devs take advantage of it. Yes the 360 has plenty of good looking games but they are woefully short even the exclusives. Cross platform games are short on both.

3. The PS3 is 3D compatible.

4. Overall the PS3 is more future proof IMO.
My launch 60GB bought the same day as my 360 is still going and I'm on 360 # 5. They both have had the same home in my HT with no difference in treatment.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #18
Expert Member

Jan 2007
middle of nowere, IL.
Default To the OP

OP,
You should change the Thread Title as it appears now the poll looks like you want to know which systems we own. Which I selected 4 of the options.

Your first post however looks like you want to know which ones we think will last the longest in which case I would have voted only 1 = PS3.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:16 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

I own:

Physical Consoles
NES (standard and top-loader)
SNES (standard and mini)
N64 (several different colors, including the original and a sweet translucent red one!)
Wii
XBOX 360 Elite (December 2009 model)
DS (original)
DSi XL

I've never owned a PlayStation of any kind. Not out of spite or anything; they just never made it into my collection for whatever reason.

Emulators
NES
SNES
N64
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
MAME

I feel like I'm forgetting something from both the physical and emulated gaming categories, but I think that's probably pretty close.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:11 AM   #20
Banned

Jul 2010
Hudson Valley, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorvondoom88 View Post
...As for which one will have the longer life span = PS3
Why?
Three reasons I can think of:
1. Sony is committed to a 10 year life cycle. (MS is more like 5)

2. Blu-ray you can't argue the benefits of more storage for game developers. It equals better graphics and bigger levels and better sound design if the devs take advantage of it. Yes the 360 has plenty of good looking games but they are woefully short even the exclusives. Cross platform games are short on both.

3. The PS3 is 3D compatible.

4. Overall the PS3 is more future proof IMO.
My launch 60GB bought the same day as my 360 is still going and I'm on 360 # 5. They both have had the same home in my HT with no difference in treatment.
The problems with these reasons are...

1: Even if Sony is commited to a ten year lifespan for the PS3 (which I highly doubt) and Microsoft is planning more along the lines of five years for the 360 (it's past that point now)... If MS moves Xbox into the next generation and Sony hangs on to the current machine, the PS3 will look extremely outdated. They will either be forced to move on or will get their head handed to them. Either way, they will once again be giving MS a head start (something that cost them this generation). The only thing that could change this would be a drastic shift in the entire model of the console market. And even that would require new machines.

2: While I agree that BD gives the PS3 an advantage, the fact is that software sells hardware. MS still has (in most people's eyes) the superior library. It definitely has the largest. The better graphics & sound are really a moot point, as in the entire history of home consoles, only once has the most powerful machine with the best graphics been the most popular or longest survivor of a generation (that being the PSone). It did that on it's games, not on the power of the machine.

3: 3D compatible... A niche market at best. Not even a factor (at least not this generation). It may be a cool bonus feature for some who bought into the 3D fad, who don't mind wearing glasses to play games, who don't get headaches, etc, etc, etc. Believe me, it is not going to extend the PS3's life one nanosecond. Will it come into play next generation? Maybe, maybe not.

4: No console is future proof. One of the whole points behind consoles is that that they are made with the best specs of the moment, sold reletively cheap compared with a PC, then replaced a few years down the line. Now, with Kinect (the fastest selling piece of electronic gear in history), Microsoft has just breathed a whole new, even bigger life into the 360 than before. Unless Sony has some giant, unknown game changer yet to be revealed, the 360 is poised to be relevant longer (especially now that consumers are buying standalone BD players to play BDs).

5: I will give you the PS3 being more reliable. Two points here. First, those days are over. Ever since the Jasper chip units rolled out, the 360 has been steadily getting more & more reliable. The new slim models are just as, if not more reliable than the PS3. Second, even when the 360 was horribly unreliable, that did not stop people from buying them. You yourself said you're on number five.

Believe me when I say, I am no fanboy of Microsoft. In fact, Microsoft's entering the console market seemeed to coencide with the decline in variety, creativity & innovation in games (just an observation). My favorire exclusves this generation belong to the PS3 (Heavy Rain, GT5, ModNation Racers, etc) and given the choice, I prefer Move over Kinect (not that I've bought into either). I'm simply saying, your reasoning is off.

Last edited by OG Pooh; 03-18-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion