Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$43.99
1 hr ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
2 hrs ago
The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$33.03
9 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86
17 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99
23 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$71.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which system do you think will last longer.
Xbox 360 41 53.25%
PS3 63 81.82%
Nintendo Wii 28 36.36%
Nintendo 3DS 3 3.90%
PSP 19 24.68%
none of these 3 3.90%
Sorry, i don't play video games 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #21
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

IN USE:
PS3 (x2)
PSP (x2)
Xbox 360 Elite*

IN STORAGE:
Dreamcast
Gamecube (x2)
Neo Geo Pocket Color
PlayStation
PS2 (x2)
SNES
Xbox

*Hooked up, but haven't used in 6+ months
Old 03-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
Power Member

Apr 2009

Currently own and use:

PS3
Wii
DS

Still own, but in storage:

NES
SNES
Game Boy

I think the PS3 will last the longest due to the fact that Nintendo and Microsoft need to at least match the PS3 next gen. The PS3 is above the 360 and the Wii in terms of specs (and game library IMO), that I think that the PS3 can stand alongaside the next systems that Microsoft and Nintendo produce.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #23
Banned

Jul 2010
Hudson Valley, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius Marius View Post
Currently own and use:

PS3
Wii
DS

Still own, but in storage:

NES
SNES
Game Boy

I think the PS3 will last the longest due to the fact that Nintendo and Microsoft need to at least match the PS3 next gen. The PS3 is above the 360 and the Wii in terms of specs (and game library IMO), that I think that the PS3 can stand alongaside the next systems that Microsoft and Nintendo produce.
Like I said, the only way the PS3 will "outlast" the 360, will be if Microsoft simply moves on first. I wouldn't call that outlasting the 360. It would be more like Sony giving MS another head start next generation.

Nintendo & Microsoft don't need to at least "match" Sony. The Wii didn't match anybody this generation (it is actually the least powerful machine), yet kicked everybody's asses, hard. The 360 isn't as powerful as the PS3, yet it has done better. Again, the most powerful machine is almost never the most successful. It wasn't this generation, it wasn't last generation. In fact, the only generation where the most powerful machine was the most successful was the that of the 32-bit era. That happened to be the only era where the most powerful machine had the most popular library (that is what sells consoles). While it is true that the PS3 isn't that far behind the 360 in terms of total worldwide sales, I think you're going to see the 360 stretch it's lead with Kinect. Sony definitely doesn't have anything with which to close the gap.

While your opinion is that the PS3 has a better library, that is not the opinion of the majority of people. The fact is that the two libraries are damn near identical. Beyond that, the 360's library is much larger. Ask today's typical gamer if he'd rather have the console with Gears of War & Halo or the one with LittleBig Planet & Uncharted... Guess which one he's going to say. I am not saying that is a good thing. I am simply saying it is so. Personally, I think we need more LittleBig Planets & less Halos. Beisdes, gaming is now an online activity. Sorry to say, but difference between PSN & Live is like the difference between a rusty old Ford Pinto & a shiny new Ferrari Italia. PSN isn't even in competition with Live.

As for what's going to happen next generation... Who's to say? If Sony decides to give us a great library rather than creating an expensive, powerful machine that is difficult to program, they may be on top again. Personally, I hope that is the case, as (IMHO) the original Playstation had the single greatest library in the history of console gaming. I'd like to see that again.

EDIT: By the way, what actually is the poll question... Is it which systems do we own or which system will last the longest? The title says one thing, the poll says another, then the option of picking more than one answer contradicts the poll's wording. Because of this, I haven't actually voted.

Last edited by OG Pooh; 03-18-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #24
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Currently own
PS3
Wii

Used to own in my lifetime.
Atari 2600
NES
SNES
SEGA Genesis
PS
PS2
Old 03-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

I could be wrong but I thought consoles sells to date have the Wii completely dominating with the PS3 and 360 neck an neck (may 3 to 4 million more 360's sold). Considering the year head start a 3 to 4 million console lead really isn't much..

I'm not sure how Kinect and Move will help extend their lives. I wouldn't be surprised if Kinect did better simply because it isn't looked at as another Wii controller.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #26
Banned

Jul 2010
Hudson Valley, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
I could be wrong but I thought consoles sells to date have the Wii completely dominating with the PS3 and 360 neck an neck (may 3 to 4 million more 360's sold). Considering the year head start a 3 to 4 million console lead really isn't much..

I'm not sure how Kinect and Move will help extend their lives. I wouldn't be surprised if Kinect did better simply because it isn't looked at as another Wii controller.
Yes, the Wii has kicked both Microsoft & Sony's asses. It has sold more than the 360 & PS3 combined (or around that number). You are also correct that the 360 is slightly ahead of the PS3. The only issue I see the 360 having is that it may be nearing it's saturation point. Also, the 360's weak point is the Asian market, where (I'm not profiling here) an American console is at a distinct disadvantage.

Yoiu are also correct that the Kinect "controller" is doing better than Move. It is actually doing much better than Move. In fact, there's a thread somewhere on these forums regarding Guiness certifying Kinect as the fastest selling piece of consumer electronics gear in history. So it's not only doing better than Move, it's doing better than anything ever.

All in all, it really doesn't matter to me either way. I own all the current consoles, and I'd like to see them all do very well. But because I'm not a fanboy of any machine, I call it like I see it. The PS3 is in last place & has no real game changer that I know of. Maybe it will eventually catch/pass the 360 in sales. But I think Kinect (and it's larger library) will keep the 360 viable longer than the PS3.

Last edited by OG Pooh; 03-19-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

At the moment, I have an N64 and a Gamecube. I'm waiting until the price on the Wii drops below $200 before I pick it up.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #28

Feb 2011
Jack's Sleep Deprived Body

To many to list will write them down when i get a chance.

Last edited by NewOrder79; 03-27-2011 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
VA

I own everything but the 3DS, but I have to ask to quiet down the fanboyism. The question was "what system you own" not what system is the best and why all the others suck or "in 1000 words or more, explain why you think each system is in the place it's in and how you feel that may or may not change in the future." Every system is at least four years old, are doing well, and will last to the end of the generation. You're all adults, enough with the bickering about videogame systems. P.S. Why is the poll a different question than the thread title? Strange.

Last edited by ariakon; 03-28-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #30

Dec 2010

Xbox 360
PS3
PS2
PS
Wii
Gamecube
DC
N64
Snes
Nintendo DS
Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #31

Sep 2009
cleveland

ps3: "god of war 3"
psp: "tekken dark resurrection"
wii: mario galaxy
snes: mario rpg
nes: mike tyson punch out
genesis : mortal kombat
nomad: mortal kombat
dreamcast: soul calibur
virtual boy: mario tennis

my systems and favorite games for each
Old 04-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Illinois

NES
Sega Genesis/16-bit x2
N64
Virtual Boy
Game Boy Advanced
PS1 x3
PS2 x2
PS3 x2 (40GB & 60GB)
PSP-1000

Plan on buying the PSP2 when it comes out and maybe the 3DS.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007
A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse.

I hoard my video game systems , so I still have many of my systems, albeit in storage.

Xbox 360
PS3
Dreamcast
Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
Sega CD
Sega Game Gear
Sega Saturn
Dreamcast
Atari 2600
Atari Jaguar
Atari Jaguar CD
TurboGrafx 16
NES
Super Nintendo
Gameboy
Gamecube
Wii
ColecoVision

Used to Own:

Sega 32X
Atari 7800
Panasonic's 3DO
NeoGeo
Playstation
Playstation 2
Xbox
PSP (original)
Nintendo DS

I have been playing video games my whole life...almost. All but 5 years of it. Looking back on my list I realized I never had the Nintendo 64.

Last edited by Zaphod; 04-21-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Well i own and use , this is , i share with my kid

2 PS3
3 Xbox 360
1 Wii
1 PSP
Old 04-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #35
Power Member

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariakon View Post
I own everything but the 3DS, but I have to ask to quiet down the fanboyism. The question was "what system you own" not what system is the best and why all the others suck or "in 1000 words or more, explain why you think each system is in the place it's in and how you feel that may or may not change in the future." Every system is at least four years old, are doing well, and will last to the end of the generation. You're all adults, enough with the bickering about videogame systems. P.S. Why is the poll a different question than the thread title? Strange.
I think the poll is throwing off the discussion a bit....
Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #36
Power Member

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Pooh View Post
Like I said, the only way the PS3 will "outlast" the 360, will be if Microsoft simply moves on first. I wouldn't call that outlasting the 360. It would be more like Sony giving MS another head start next generation.

Nintendo & Microsoft don't need to at least "match" Sony. The Wii didn't match anybody this generation (it is actually the least powerful machine), yet kicked everybody's asses, hard. The 360 isn't as powerful as the PS3, yet it has done better. Again, the most powerful machine is almost never the most successful. It wasn't this generation, it wasn't last generation. In fact, the only generation where the most powerful machine was the most successful was the that of the 32-bit era. That happened to be the only era where the most powerful machine had the most popular library (that is what sells consoles). While it is true that the PS3 isn't that far behind the 360 in terms of total worldwide sales, I think you're going to see the 360 stretch it's lead with Kinect. Sony definitely doesn't have anything with which to close the gap.

While your opinion is that the PS3 has a better library, that is not the opinion of the majority of people. The fact is that the two libraries are damn near identical. Beyond that, the 360's library is much larger. Ask today's typical gamer if he'd rather have the console with Gears of War & Halo or the one with LittleBig Planet & Uncharted... Guess which one he's going to say. I am not saying that is a good thing. I am simply saying it is so. Personally, I think we need more LittleBig Planets & less Halos. Beisdes, gaming is now an online activity. Sorry to say, but difference between PSN & Live is like the difference between a rusty old Ford Pinto & a shiny new Ferrari Italia. PSN isn't even in competition with Live.

As for what's going to happen next generation... Who's to say? If Sony decides to give us a great library rather than creating an expensive, powerful machine that is difficult to program, they may be on top again. Personally, I hope that is the case, as (IMHO) the original Playstation had the single greatest library in the history of console gaming. I'd like to see that again.

EDIT: By the way, what actually is the poll question... Is it which systems do we own or which system will last the longest? The title says one thing, the poll says another, then the option of picking more than one answer contradicts the poll's wording. Because of this, I haven't actually voted.
You bring up some good points, especially the Wii dominating this gen. However, I just think that, at this point, the PS3's tech is more future proof than the 360's or the Wii's. The 360 will eventually need a BD drive, and the Wii will eventually need HD graphics. They aren't needed now, but I think the next gen's for both will need those. Just my opinions and observations.

As for games, that is completely subjective. Everyone I know prefers the PS3's library of games. I don't care for shooters, so I like the variety of the PS3. As you stated, the bulk of the games for the 360 and the PS3 are the same, and it is the exclusives that make the system. Yes, more people might know Halo and Gears over Uncharted and LBP, but that doesn't make them better games automatically. If a person prefers shooters, I can see them liking the 360's game library more. Personally, I love the PS3's library, and it is almost as good as the PS2's and SNES for me.

I love the Wii as well, despite negative criticism among 'hardcore' gamers

As for Move and Kincet, I don't place much stock in peripherals. Peripherals have a very poor track record as they need the system and peripheral to work. From a developer's perspective, it is not as lucritive to develop games for peripherals as it is for the core system. Kinect is, also, very limited as it cannot work with most genres (could you imagine a platformer for it ?). As for Move, the only thing I am hopeful for is that it will lead to better Wii games
Old 04-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Consoles:

PS3 80GB (with PS2 comatibility)
PS3 120Gb Slim
Nintendo Wii
Xbox 360 20GB
(refurb unit that was sent to me after my launch unit RRODed)
Xbox 360 - New Model (It's the 4GB version with a 250GB HDD added in... found a deal that made this cheaper than buying the 250GB unit).
Gamecube (black - with Gameboy Advance add-on unit)
Gamecube (silver - this one was my wife's before we got married/lived together)
PS2 - Two 'Phat' Units (one I got at launch, the other being my wife's before we got married. My original one now gets disc read errors, but didn't bother getting another since this started after we moved in together).
Xbox (got is later on after it started coming with the 'S' controller)
Sega Dreamcast
Playstation
Nintendo 64
Sega Saturn

Genesis + Sega CD + 32X
SNES (2 of them technically.. my original one had the plastic tab on the back of the unit that the AC Adapter hooks up to break, making the power connection very loose, so I got a replacement a few years ago).
NES (original model with R.O.B. the robot)
NES - top loader redesign (the one that my wife grew up with)
Atari 2600

Portables:

Gameboy (black version of the original Gameboy after they started making them in different colors)
Gameboy Advance SP (limited edition NES styled version)
Nintendo DS Lite (White - this one is mine)
Nintendo DS Lite (Green - my wife's)
Original Nintendo DS (still have mine.. my wife gave hers to her grandfather)
PSP (2000 model)
Old 04-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Baltimore, MD

4 X360's (NOT including ones I've replaced, I bought my sisters one each for Christmas )
2 PS3's
2 Wii's
2 DS ( 1 DSi, 1 DS Lite I can't locate)
1 PS2
1 Xbox
1 N64
1 GBA SP
Old 04-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

Here is my list of consoles:

Currently own:

PS3 - Launch Day 60GB Model (now 320GB)
Nintendo DS
PS2 - Original brick-style PS2 with Firewire connector option.
Dreamcast - 4 Dreamcasts
ColecoVision
Atari 2600

Used to own:
Super Nintendo
Sega Genesis
Atari 2600
Commodore 64 (main gaming machine for a few years after the crash of '82)

Okay, that last entry made me feel old.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #40
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Wrestling in Ireland. PSNetwork: Nerdkiller316PSN Nerds beaten up: Loads

Currently own:
PS3
Xbox 360
Wii
Game Boy Advance SP

Formally own:
Atari 2600
Sega Mega Drive
PlayStation
PlayStation 2
PSP (before the dog chewed it up)
Game Boy Color

Fave online game: Warhawk. It was the game that got me into online gaming in the first place. Dedicated servers, server browser, custom games, clan support, it had it all.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion