Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
13 hrs ago
Space Jam 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.99
12 hrs ago
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$18.60
17 hrs ago
Tremors (Blu-ray)
$28.10
17 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Men of Honor (Blu-ray)
$3.99
12 hrs ago
Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$51.50
17 hrs ago
Saw 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
19 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$73.43

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #1

Jul 2020
Default Audio Cut-Out

My surround sound system (Pioneer VSX 534) has a slight audio cut-out whenever you start playing a new film/episode. It only lasts for perhaps less than a second, so hasn't really been a problem as most programs have some form of title/credits/logos/etc that mean it doesn't really matter.

However, the last few weeks I've been re-watching Mr Robot on Blu-ray and it has a tendency of having episodes cold-open straight into content, and usually dialogue right at the start and I've found myself missing the first word or so and sometimes having to skip back to the start of the chapter.

Anyone any ideas how to avoid this cut-out? I'm guessing it's maybe some handshake delay between the blu-ray player and receiver?
Old 05-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

It could be the cable(s) or the speaker(s) Have you checked all of your audio cables to make sure that they're fully inserted in the terminals and if so, then one or both of your speakers may be going bad.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

Just in case it's a handshake issue, power your tv on and wait a sec, then power on your AVR and wait a sec, then power on your Blu-ray player.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:04 PM   #4

Jul 2020

It's a surround system so there are six speakers in total. I usually do turn them on one at a time. The AVR wakes up the blu-ray player by itself usually as I leave it tuned to the blu-ray channel.

I didn't think it would be the speakers themselves as all of them come on at the same time, it's either no sound at all (for the first fraction of a second) or fully normal surround sound from all 5 speakers + the sub.

I was hoping that maybe there was an option I had to set on either the player on the AVR to allow for this brief silence but I haven't been able to find anything looking through the options or googling.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:20 AM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan McLeod View Post
It's a surround system so there are six speakers in total. I usually do turn them on one at a time. The AVR wakes up the blu-ray player by itself usually as I leave it tuned to the blu-ray channel.

I didn't think it would be the speakers themselves as all of them come on at the same time, it's either no sound at all (for the first fraction of a second) or fully normal surround sound from all 5 speakers + the sub.

I was hoping that maybe there was an option I had to set on either the player on the AVR to allow for this brief silence but I haven't been able to find anything looking through the options or googling.
Why do you have to turn your speakers on one at a time because, when you turn your receiver on, everything including all the speakers should be already on. If you have to turn your speakers on one at time, something is not connected right. That could be the problem.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers