Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
14 hrs ago
Space Jam 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Tremors (Blu-ray)
$28.10
18 hrs ago
Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.99
13 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Men of Honor (Blu-ray)
$3.99
13 hrs ago
Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$51.50
18 hrs ago
Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99

RahXephon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
1 day ago
Silent Running (Blu-ray)
$20.10
18 hrs ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Saw 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
20 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 05-04-2021, 04:29 AM   #31241

Jan 2019
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
When someone watches a show on Netflix it means that they do not buy a new disc.
It also means that people are not downloading it for free.

Both Netflix and Amazon Prime replaced our cable TV subscription. The combined subscriptions cost half of what we paid for cable, have better content, no commercial breaks and better video quality. I don't really understand the hate for Netflix etc.
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:09 AM   #31242
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
It also means that people are not downloading it for free.

Both Netflix and Amazon Prime replaced our cable TV subscription. The combined subscriptions cost half of what we paid for cable, have better content, no commercial breaks and better video quality. I don't really understand the hate for Netflix etc.
Better picture quality? I get 4K Satellite, I highly doubt that. It looks a darn sight better than 4K streams I have witnessed on Netflix.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #31243

Jan 2019
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Better picture quality? I get 4K Satellite, I highly doubt that. It looks a darn sight better than 4K streams I have witnessed on Netflix.
It absolutely is better picture quality compared to our old cable subscription. Iím not sure why you would doubt that unless you had seen it first hand.

We always get great picture quality through Netflix 4K streams.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #31244
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
It absolutely is better picture quality compared to our old cable subscription. Iím not sure why you would doubt that unless you had seen it first hand.

We always get great picture quality through Netflix 4K streams.
You might. To me, Sky 4K looks better. Iím not saying Netflix looks bad, itís just not particularly great either.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #31245

Dec 2014
Georgia

Quote:
Just thought I would post a update as some of you guys were incredibly kind and also sent me PMís regarding my sister.
She was back in hospital for more surgery to her kidney last week and developed sepsis for the fourth time. She is better now but awaiting news of whether the stones are out or not. She had 100 fragments of stones in there and we think having to use a catheter combined with stents has contributed to the sepsis. As you all know, she had serious complications from COVID so that delayed things further.
If the stones are finally gone after a scan, she will have several months recovery before (hopefully) the final procedure to remove her non functioning kidney.
Wishing your sister a speedy recovery.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #31246
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
I agree that streaming subscriptions are superior to cable. But their both inferior to physical media.
We all go round and round on this subject. I think people should be setup to access any Video Source they want. If they want to view PM or Streaming, their equipment should be setup for this. My BD Player is still connected, I just don't access it anymore. It's all IPTV and Streaming for me, and I view all that I want!
Old 05-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #31247
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
The combined subscriptions cost half of what we paid for cable, have better content, no commercial breaks and better video quality.
Quote:
It helps if posters know more about what they are making reference to. Admiral, was your cable content analog or digital? If digital, do you know how it was encoded?

In the US my cable co. is still using H.262 (MPEG-2) and cramming 4 to 10 program streams on each channel (as sub channels) and it looks awful. HD with using H.262 and 18 to 19 Mbps can look decent but looks pretty bad when using 4 to 7 Mbps.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #31248
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

For distribution reference, in the US PBS uses one satellite transponder for a single TS (transport stream), within the TS there are 4 HD PS's (program stream) and one SD PS. The data rate varies between about 67 Mbps to about 121 Mbps.

[Show spoiler]
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #31249
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
I agree that streaming subscriptions are superior to cable. But they're both inferior to physical media.
Its a easy fit in between heavy compressed cable/satellite and physical media for streaming to exist. For most part streaming subscriptions are used not as a provider substitute but as a substitute for the lack of content diversity to cable. Who really wants to be dictated you when you can see content or have to DVR broadcast/cable. Yes there is a lot less digital artifacts with improved color watching show episodes via a network streaming app. It just illustrates how bad cable is. Still need the cable provider or like to authorize playing that content on most apps. If you want the same content a bit better, then go for the media.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:40 PM   #31250
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
FYI only some of Netflix’s content is 4K, a lot is merely HDR/DV HD content. Still depending on your setup it can look and sound impressive compared to the usual cable/satellite setup in the states. I watched a animation called Yasuke last night. Wired write up.

Quote:
Not much is known about the first Black samurai in feudal Japan. And spoiler alert here, he apparently did exist. And he's now the center of a new anime series on Netflix that introduces his story to an American audience.
Hey you thought 300 was bloody, this is slice and dice gore full on at times. Anyway the CGI artwork at times was gorgeous, and audio effects was amazing for a streaming example.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:27 PM   #31251
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Started watching The Bad Batch new star wars show and didn't like it.

Last edited by bhampton; 05-04-2021 at 10:46 PM.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 04:06 AM   #31252
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Hey gang, how goes things? I can’t remember the last time I bought anything. I’m still watching movies via Netflix BD rental, but catch streaming services when I visit a friend. Still living at a place that I can’t get internet. Which sucks at times because I’d really love to play some Xbox games in my off time. Not that I’ve had much of that. I had to get some stomach bug to get any time off from work. I’ll try and pop in more when I can. Best to everyone and I hope your sister has a speedy recovery Steedeel.
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (05-05-2021), gotmule (05-05-2021), Steedeel (05-05-2021), Vilya (05-06-2021), Wendell R. Breland (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 04:44 AM   #31253

Jan 2019
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
It helps if posters know more about what they are making reference to. Admiral, was your cable content analog or digital? If digital, do you know how it was encoded?

In the US my cable co. is still using H.262 (MPEG-2) and cramming 4 to 10 program streams on each channel (as sub channels) and it looks awful. HD with using H.262 and 18 to 19 Mbps can look decent but looks pretty bad when using 4 to 7 Mbps.
It was digital. I don't know how it was encoded. We cancelled several years ago after getting Netflix.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:53 AM   #31254
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

So Army of the Dead is getting an extremely limited release out here on just 600 theaters nationwide. It's playing at my local iPic Theaters. Scored a couple of tickets and will be watching in cinemas.

iPics are pricey but oh so freakin' nice!
Thanks given by:
bhampton (05-05-2021), Ender14 (05-05-2021), gotmule (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #31255
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Hey gang, how goes things? I canít remember the last time I bought anything. Iím still watching movies via Netflix BD rental, but catch streaming services when I visit a friend. Still living at a place that I canít get internet. Which sucks at times because Iíd really love to play some Xbox games in my off time. Not that Iíve had much of that. I had to get some stomach bug to get any time off from work. Iíll try and pop in more when I can. Best to everyone and I hope your sister has a speedy recovery Steedeel.
Thanks Donster, hopefully you can get sorted with internet.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (05-06-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #31256
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Iím still watching movies via Netflix BD rental, but catch streaming services when I visit a friend.
Good to see you still kicking. Been doing Netflix disc by mail since 2006 and plan to keep as long as available. Sometime back did switch to Blockbuster by mail for a couple of years.

Quote:
Still living at a place that I canít get internet.
May not be much longer till Starlink will be available to you. Last I saw was $500 for the hardware and $100 per month.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (05-06-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:33 PM   #31257
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
So Army of the Dead is getting an extremely limited release out here on just 600 theaters nationwide. It's playing at my local iPic Theaters. Scored a couple of tickets and will be watching in cinemas.

iPics are pricey but oh so freakin' nice!
I would have bought that on Blu-ray/UHD
Old 05-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #31258
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina
Default Singapore

Quote:
It was digital. I don't know how it was encoded. We cancelled several years ago after getting Netflix.
Have you checked the speed of Netflix content in Singapore? In the US many shows stream at less than half the speed they did a few years ago.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #31259
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

Quote:
I would have bought that on Blu-ray/UHD

It's a Netflix Original, so I don't see it getting a 4K disc stateside. Maybe an import, but it's gonna be a streaming exclusive here for the most part.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #31260
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
It's a Netflix Original, so I don't see it getting a 4K disc stateside. Maybe an import, but it's gonna be a streaming exclusive here for the most part.
Yeah, thatís what I mean mate.
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (05-05-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology