Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Venom: Let There Be Carnage 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 day ago
Pearl (Blu-ray)
$11.99
2 hrs ago
Ronin 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Edge of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.18
3 hrs ago
The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection Vol 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99
13 hrs ago
M3GAN (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 hr ago
The Whale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 hr ago
Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99
1 day ago
65 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.17
2 hrs ago
The Manchurian Candidate 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Batman 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 12:12 AM   #3581
RyanMatthew RyanMatthew is offline
Senior Member
 
RyanMatthew's Avatar
 
Dec 2014
140
478
Default

I keep my OLED value at 40, too.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
cynatnite (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #3582
smeemi smeemi is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2017
Default

Im getting my LG W7 65" OLED Wallpaper TV professionally ISF calibrated tomorrow. Has anyone had this done before on a 7 series LG and if so, what benefits did you get from it?

He's going to do a day, night, HDR and Dolby Vision setting. I currently use ISF expert bright room, ISF expert dark room, and cinema home for both HDR and Dolby Vision settings with all those LG additional settings like trumotion switched off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #3583
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynatnite View Post
i've got mine at 40. Rtings set theirs at 17 for calibration purposes, but it was just too dim for my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmatthew View Post
i keep my oled value at 40, too.
25
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #3584
cynatnite cynatnite is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
cynatnite's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN
258
784
405
30
42
34
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeemi View Post
Im getting my LG W7 65" OLED Wallpaper TV professionally ISF calibrated tomorrow. Has anyone had this done before on a 7 series LG and if so, what benefits did you get from it?

He's going to do a day, night, HDR and Dolby Vision setting. I currently use ISF expert bright room, ISF expert dark room, and cinema home for both HDR and Dolby Vision settings with all those LG additional settings like trumotion switched off.
I hope you post some pics.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #3585
punisher punisher is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
punisher's Avatar
 
May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE
2
205
Default

here's a few of my still breaking in C7 in technicolor mode
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oled 1.jpg (96.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg oled 2.jpg (94.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg oled 3.jpg (95.5 KB, 25 views)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
cynatnite (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #3586
smeemi smeemi is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynatnite View Post
I hope you post some pics.
What would you like? Before and after?

I don't have a camera besides my phone so I doubt it'll look much different.

Roll on tomorrow.. see what £250 gets..
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
cynatnite (06-08-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 01:42 AM   #3587
RustinCohle RustinCohle is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
RustinCohle's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
947
1749
227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shield80 View Post
If it suits then go for it but for me, oled light 16 in a pitch black room will look to dim for me and my B7 is pro calibrated to 130 nits and with oled light set at 37.so I do think that 16 is a way to low.100-120 nits is what you should have in a pitch dark room for a tv and lower for a projector.

Enjoy your tv no matter what you have your oled light set to
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynatnite View Post
I've got mine at 40. Rtings set theirs at 17 for calibration purposes, but it was just too dim for my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMatthew View Post
I keep my OLED value at 40, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
25
Iím just trying to do whatever I can to avoid image retention. Like I said earlier, it only ever happens with SDR blu-rays. Iíve never had any image retention with HDR or DV content from UHD discs, or even SDR content from my cable box. Only regular blu-ray discs and itís getting frustrating.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #3588
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
Iím just trying to do whatever I can to avoid image retention. Like I said earlier, it only ever happens with SDR blu-rays. Iíve never had any image retention with HDR or DV content from UHD discs, or even SDR content from my cable box. Only regular blu-ray discs and itís getting frustrating.
You're being paranoid, crank up that oled light
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #3589
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
here's a few of my still breaking in C7 in technicolor mode
Is technicolor mode the same as 'standard' mode or 'reference' mode?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #3590
shield80 shield80 is offline
Special Member
 
shield80's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
104
994
425
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Is technicolor mode the same as 'standard' mode or 'reference' mode?
Technicolor is the same as cinema or expert mode.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #3591
shield80 shield80 is offline
Special Member
 
shield80's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
104
994
425
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
I’m just trying to do whatever I can to avoid image retention. Like I said earlier, it only ever happens with SDR blu-rays. I’ve never had any image retention with HDR or DV content from UHD discs, or even SDR content from my cable box. Only regular blu-ray discs and it’s getting frustrating.
Hmm, I have no problem with image retention and I have gamed on for about 5/6 hours straight no retention, but I do my gaming on a pc monitor 144hz, I only watch Blu Ray or 4K HDR on my B7 so oled light 37 for SDR and 100 for HDR10 and 50 for DV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #3592
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shield80 View Post
Technicolor is the same as cinema or expert mode.
So Technicolor is the same as ISF Expert Dark or Bright room in our 2016 models?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #3593
punisher punisher is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
punisher's Avatar
 
May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE
2
205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shield80 View Post
Technicolor is the same as cinema or expert mode.
no it's not....it is a separate mode that was part of the firmware update a while ago. You could adjust settings to make a lot of the modes look very similar. I do not believe it is available on the 2016 OLED updates.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #3594
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
no it's not....it is a separate mode that was part of the firmware update a while ago. You could adjust settings to make a lot of the modes look very similar. I do not believe it is available on the 2016 OLED updates.
So you finally gave in to the dark side
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #3595
jibucha jibucha is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2007
45
Default LG OLED :: picture modes :: (explained?)

picture modes

each are 'precisely different' :: 'its in the details' (adjustments)

rough guideline :: standard and vivid - Bright Room (generally) are for less critical viewing and lean more towards bright room conditions viewing or brighter picture and more (unnaturally) saturated colors

rough guideline :: (cinema - Technicolor - ISF Day/Night) :: they lean towards a more accurate/optimal picture quality (think :: calibration) :: although they do differ (a contradiction?), they share in common an inherent intent to provide viewing as 'should be expected' for the best possible picture quality :: so, if you scan through them, you will notice differences, but a similarly 'improved picture quality' :: of these, if using without modification to their respective settings, just use whichever you prefer for whatever reason(s) and enjoy your viewing

point :: Technicolor and standard are entirely different and have dissimilar goals




Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Is technicolor mode the same as 'standard' mode or 'reference' mode?

Last edited by jibucha; 06-09-2018 at 03:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #3596
jibucha jibucha is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2007
45
Default LG OLED :: settings (information) :: optimal display performance

makes no sense :: the LG OLED (7-Series) displays have processes in place to essentially prevent 'burn in' (especially HD/SDR Blu-ray) :: unless you're unusually abusive (which seems you're not) you should not be experiencing any issues


Screen Shift (turn it on) :: it's intention is to prevent performance issues as you're experiencing :: once turned on, the process is automatic, working after viewing when you're not watching anything
Pixel Refresher (use regularly? - in your extreme issues, use it daily?) :: it's a more aggressive implementation that is manual' requiring that you initiate the process yourself - each time

Settings - Picture - OLED Panel Settings (go to) :: this is the location of these settings

note :: i highly recommend review/familiarizing yourself with the settings/performance of you Blu-ray player (that's all that i can think of) :: perhaps borrow a different player from a friend for a quick comparison/evaluation?



Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
Iím just trying to do whatever I can to avoid image retention. Like I said earlier, it only ever happens with SDR blu-rays. Iíve never had any image retention with HDR or DV content from UHD discs, or even SDR content from my cable box. Only regular blu-ray discs and itís getting frustrating.

Last edited by jibucha; 06-09-2018 at 03:20 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #3597
jibucha jibucha is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2007
45
Default LG OLED :: 'burn in'

LG OLED (2017 & 2018) :: i see no need to wait; both of these years of production (especially) essentially 'will not result in burn in' given that your viewing behavior is not 'abusive/extreme', which is 'highly unlikely' :: normal viewing 'you will not' experience any issues

gaming? :: just be 'more careful' and 'proactive' with regards to monitoring your behavior and screen condition (see my recent previous post - #3599 - with regards to settings)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I don't know, but even just watching TV for hours at a time might have an effect. Most TV channels have some kind of watermark in the corner of the screen all the time. I really want an OLED, but this has me rethinking, or maybe wait and see if they improve next year. i also want to do 4k gaming at some point.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #3598
RustinCohle RustinCohle is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
RustinCohle's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
947
1749
227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
You're being paranoid, crank up that oled light
I wish I was, but thereís image retention on every single blu-ray I watch, and thatís it. Never wth gaming, never with my cable box, never with UHDs. Only blu-rays and even with my OLED light that low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibucha View Post
makes no sense :: the LG OLED (7-Series) displays have processes in place to essentially prevent 'burn in' (especially HD/SDR Blu-ray) :: unless you're unusually abusive (which seems you're not) you should not be experiencing any issues


Screen Shift (turn it on) :: it's intention is to prevent performance issues as you're experiencing :: once turned on, the process is automatic, working after viewing when you're not watching anything
Pixel Refresher (use regularly? - in your extreme issues, use it daily?) :: it's a more aggressive implementation that is manual' requiring that you initiate the process yourself - each time

Settings - Picture - OLED Panel Settings (go to) :: this is the location of these settings

note :: i highly recommend review/familiarizing yourself with the settings/performance of you Blu-ray player (that's all that i can think of) :: perhaps borrow a different player from a friend for a quick comparison/evaluation?
I have screen shift turned on, but have yet to use the pixel refresh feature. Also Iíve experienced this using two different players. The issues only ever happen with blu-rays and thatís it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #3599
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
I wish I was, but thereís image retention on every single blu-ray I watch, and thatís it. Never wth gaming, never with my cable box, never with UHDs. Only blu-rays and even with my OLED light that low.



.
It sounds like a faulty panel then. Never heard any pro calibrator who works with oled making those same observations. Oled Light should be able to go higher than 16 wihout issues
.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #3600
jibucha jibucha is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2007
45
Default

honestly, it makes no sense (highly confusing)

is it correct that this is with the LG (C7/UP970)?

personally, i am quite confused regarding this information

possibly? :: try watching your movies in movie mode on the UP970?

perhaps? :: try reviewing 'all your settings' on both display/player? (perhaps something might explain this?)

note :: nothing to add



Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
I wish I was, but thereís image retention on every single blu-ray I watch, and thatís it. Never wth gaming, never with my cable box, never with UHDs. Only blu-rays and even with my OLED light that low.



I have screen shift turned on, but have yet to use the pixel refresh feature. Also Iíve experienced this using two different players. The issues only ever happen with blu-rays and thatís it.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:20 PM.