Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Batman: The Complete Television Series (Blu-ray)
£26.66
7 hrs ago
Depeche Mode - 101 (Blu-ray)
£100.18
11 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
£33.33
1 day ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£39.74

Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
£23.99

Star Trek: The Original 4 Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£59.99

Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
£13.99

Vengeance Trails: Four Classic Westerns (Blu-ray)
£39.99

Toy Story 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£37.45
1 hr ago
Years of Lead: Five Classic Italian Crime Thrillers 1973-1977 (Blu-ray)
£35.99

The Bird With the Crystal Plumage 4K (Blu-ray)
£23.28

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£74.92

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM   #40581

Jul 2018
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBros View Post
[Show spoiler]Been sticking my head into silent films lately and wanted to do an order of Eureka releases since they seem to have a bunch and are typically cheaper than the region A equivalent. Only seen City Lights and The Lodger so far, enjoyed both of them a bunch (though I'd say The Lodger was my favourite of the two). Looking for the easier to get into releases that I can use as springboards for others in those genre. Current have a rarewave cart that features:
  • Sunrise
  • Buster Keaton set with The General, Sherlock Jr., and Steamboat Bill Jr.
  • The Man Who Laughs
Curious if there are any other essentials to slap in (or ones to get if I liked The Lodger), I had been looking at Caligari but Kino seems to be doing a sale atm including their own silents where I could possibly pick it up for cheaper. Have a tentative cart (it's going to be shrunken down or binned all together depending on the Eureka grabs) over there with:
  • Caligari
  • Les Vampires
  • The Love of Jeanne Ney
  • Sensation Seekers/A Chapter in her Life
  • Buster Keaton: The Shorts Collection
List would also have Wings but I can't seem to find it on their site when I search for it. Been actually having a good time with Silent films since with talkies I need subtitles because for whatever reason without I end up missing chunks of dialogue, silent films I don't have to worry.
From Lang and Murnau I recommend Spione, the Mabuse films, Faust, and Der Letzte Mann (which I guess is only available in the early Murnau set). The Eureka Keaton short set is great too.
Thanks given by:
JackBros (Yesterday), rmihai0 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM   #40582

Jun 2020
Romania

Quote:
Been sticking my head into silent films lately and wanted to do an order of Eureka releases since they seem to have a bunch and are typically cheaper than the region A equivalent.
The ones I enjoyed most from Eureka were Murnau's City Girl and Tabu and Pabst's Diary of a Lost Girl. Sunrise and City Girl are both Fox titles that people are speculating might go OOP in the near future, so you should probably prioritize them if you want them. Wings is in a similar boat, though it's from a different studio.

If you're a fan of Lubitsch, you could try Madame DuBarry, one of his earlier films. Not as great as his Hollywood fare, but interesting nonetheless. Vertov's Man With a Movie Camera would be another great pick, that film is fascinatingly inventive! Of course, one should look into Lang as well, but I've only seen Die Nibelungen so I can't help you choose here...

If you're looking at other studios as well, Second Run's Dawson City: Frozen Time might be of interest. It's not actually from the silent era, it's a documentary from 2016, but it is silent, and it's about the discovery of a stash of lost silent film reels. You also can't go wrong with Criterion's brilliant Haxan, or the naturalistic People on Suday, which offers a unique look into Weimar era Berlin, before the nazis came to power and ruined it all.
Thanks given by:
CelestialAgent (Yesterday), JackBros (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #40583

Jul 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailyan View Post
City Girl, Metropolis, Nosferatu, and at least the first Buster Keaton triple feature set (mostly for "The General").

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/wings/
Will look into those, passed on City Girl as it wasn't in stock at rarewaves but it seems like it's back . Wings I was referring to the Kino release which I thought would be pretty cheap during their sale yet it's not on their site. Haven't actually tried order from Eureka site since I primarily use Paypal which I don't think they take been getting Eureka titles through rarewave since they take Paypal and have everything already in CAD.
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #40584
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
Wings I was referring to the Kino release which I thought would be pretty cheap during their sale yet it's not on their site.
Oh, I see. In that case, Kino never released "Wings" (it was released by Paramount themselves in NA).
Thanks given by:
JackBros (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM   #40585

Jul 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coconut God View Post
The ones I enjoyed most from Eureka were Murnau's City Girl and Tabu and Pabst's Diary of a Lost Girl. Sunrise and City Girl are both Fox titles that people are speculating might go OOP in the near future, so you should probably prioritize them if you want them. Wings is in a similar boat, though it's from a different studio.

If you're a fan of Lubitsch, you could try Madame DuBarry, one of his earlier films. Not as great as his Hollywood fare, but interesting nonetheless. Vertov's Man With a Movie Camera would be another great pick, that film is fascinatingly inventive! Of course, one should look into Lang as well, but I've only seen Die Nibelungen so I can't help you choose here...

If you're looking at other studios as well, Second Run's Dawson City: Frozen Time might be of interest. It's not actually from the silent era, it's a documentary from 2016, but it is silent, and it's about the discovery of a stash of lost silent film reels. You also can't go wrong with Criterion's brilliant Haxan, or the naturalistic People on Suday, which offers a unique look into Weimar era Berlin, before the nazis came to power and ruined it all.
Didn't know there was the risk of them going oop so I'll note that when prioritising my cart. I know I've been eyeing that Lubitsch in Berlin set since I've been curious about his work outside what he's done with Dietrich. All the recs make me realize how many choices there are, though probably a pale comparison to how many have been lost over time.

Don't want to go too overboard, but I'm probably going to have a hard thought on narrowing it down and which I can pick up later. Very much enjoy the benefits of region free with how much cheaper region b is compared to the region a releases, meaning I can pick up more titles .
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #40586
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

All the silent are essential

Sunrise, and Metropolis, are simply sublime. If you watch either and don’t fall in love with silent movies then you’re safe to move on as you never will.
Thanks given by:
bonehica (Yesterday), Marlew (Yesterday), Professor Echo (Today), UnionJackMix (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #40587
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Montreal

Quote:
Been sticking my head into silent films lately and wanted to do an order of Eureka releases since they seem to have a bunch and are typically cheaper than the region A equivalent. Only seen City Lights and The Lodger so far, enjoyed both of them a bunch (though I'd say The Lodger was my favourite of the two). Looking for the easier to get into releases that I can use as springboards for others in those genre. Current have a rarewave cart that features:
  • Sunrise
  • Buster Keaton set with The General, Sherlock Jr., and Steamboat Bill Jr.
  • The Man Who Laughs
Curious if there are any other essentials to slap in (or ones to get if I liked The Lodger), I had been looking at Caligari but Kino seems to be doing a sale atm including their own silents where I could possibly pick it up for cheaper. Have a tentative cart (it's going to be shrunken down or binned all together depending on the Eureka grabs) over there with:
  • Caligari
  • Les Vampires
  • The Love of Jeanne Ney
  • Sensation Seekers/A Chapter in her Life
  • Buster Keaton: The Shorts Collection
List would also have Wings but I can't seem to find it on their site when I search for it. Been actually having a good time with Silent films since with talkies I need subtitles because for whatever reason without I end up missing chunks of dialogue, silent films I don't have to worry.
Great choices! If you liked the Lodgers, i'd recommend Nosferatu, imo the greatest silent horror movie (even better than Caligari).
But the best silent movie of all time? Douglas Fairbanks' The thief of Bagdad, with Carl Davis' magnificent score. It's funny, epic, romantic, full of action and imo the most magical movie ever made. Eureka's version has the Carl Davis score, a nice booklet and is really cheap. I'd strongly recommend that one, you won't regret it. It will make you a Fairbanks fan for life.
Thanks given by:
billy pilgrim (Yesterday), JackBros (Today)
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #40588

Jun 2020
Romania

Quote:
Didn't know there was the risk of them going oop so I'll note that when prioritising my cart.
Fortunately, as far as I know it's only those three among the silents that are thought to be at risk (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
All the silent are essential

Sunrise, and Metropolis, are simply sublime. If you watch either and don’t fall in love with silent movies then you’re safe to move on as you never will.
Allow me to disagree!

I like silents well enough and I don't love Sunrise at all. I mean, yes, it's a classic, it's beautiful, and it's much better to buy it now than regret it later, but boy, does it have a painfully naive - dare I say stupid - message at its core! City Girl and Tabu are way more mature in terms of the ideas they convey.
Thanks given by:
billy pilgrim (Yesterday), Django100 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM   #40589
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2018
Flint, MI

Carl Theodor Dreyer implores you to watch in silence! It's a shame Vampyr isn't available in Region B yet.

Thanks given by:
Marlew (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #40590
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coconut God View Post
Allow me to disagree!

I like silents well enough and I don't love Sunrise at all. I mean, yes, it's a classic, it's beautiful, and it's much better to buy it now than regret it later, but boy, does it have a painfully naive - dare I say stupid - message at its core! City Girl and Tabu are way more mature in terms of the ideas they convey.
Happy to disagree, and be corrected that fans of the silent era might not think it’s the bee’s knees

For me, both Sunrise and Metropolis were vital in solidifying my love for German expressionism. The story is one aspect, and in Sunrise’s case possibly the weakest aspect, but I love the technical side, from the direction, to the set design etc, and I thought O’Brien and Gaynor were wonderful.

I don’t think you can go far wrong with anything where Lang, Murnau or Pabst were involved.
Thanks given by:
jackranderson (Yesterday), The Coconut God (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #40591

Jun 2020
Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
Happy to disagree, and be corrected that fans of the silent era might not think it’s the bee’s knees

For me, both Sunrise and Metropolis were vital in solidifying my love for German expressionism. The story is one aspect, and in Sunrise’s case possibly the weakest aspect, but I love the technical side, from the direction, to the set design etc, and I thought O’Brien and Gaynor were wonderful.

I don’t think you can go far wrong with anything where Lang, Murnau or Pabst were involved.
I think the takeaway is that silent films are a lot more diverse than people think. They cover a multitude of genres and styles, and different directors (or sometimes even the same directors!) try to achieve different things with them and deal with the limitations of soundlessness differently. There is enough here for a variety of tastes. If you don't like something, don't be discouraged!

That being said, one should indeed give Lang, Murnau and Pabst a try at the very least. Sunrise certainly has a lot of qualities to it, and if it seems like I'm driving people away from it, I am still wholeheartedly recommending City Girl and Tabu!
Thanks given by:
Aclea (Today), CouncilSpectre (Today)
Old Today, 04:14 AM   #40592

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehica View Post
Carl Theodor Dreyer implores you to watch in silence! It's a shame Vampyr isn't available in Region B yet.

Just a note that the Criterion release of The Passion of Joan of Arc is the better edition (smooth motion on the 20 FPS version.)
Thanks given by:
rmihai0 (Today)
Old Today, 05:38 AM   #40593

Oct 2018

Is anyone looking to sell their blu-ray copies of Fantastic Planet #6, Simon Killer #63 or House #184?
Old Today, 03:20 PM   #40594
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2019
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibiyori View Post
Just a note that the Criterion release of The Passion of Joan of Arc is the better edition (smooth motion on the 20 FPS version.)
Also got the brilliant Voices of Light score. The earlier Eureka releases do have a 100 page book though which I’m very interested in tracking down.
Old Today, 05:21 PM   #40595

Jan 2017

every day i dream and hope for MoC to release the president and other early dreyer works
Old Today, 06:49 PM   #40596
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Any chance of Eureka (or Indicator) putting out Night has a Thousand Eyes. There is a US release from Kino, which at least seems to have a good transfer.
I’d say Indicator is reasonably likely, they hinted at Naked Alibi recently which could be the start of a foray into Universal titles in their noir sets. I hope they do pick up Night has a Thousand Eyes, I have the Kino but more extras are always nice.
Thanks given by:
ravenus (Today)
Old Today, 07:05 PM   #40597
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephalopod View Post
Is anyone looking to sell their blu-ray copies of Fantastic Planet #6, Simon Killer #63 or House #184?
FP and House are currently available at Eureka's website for reasonable prices (though not on sale).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland