Best PC Game Deals

Best PC Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dishonored (PC)
$17.66

Rogue Warrior (PC)
$7.30

Prey 2 (PC)
$19.99

Civilization VI (PC)
$20.05
1 day ago
The Sims 3: Master Suite Stuff (PC)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 10-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #1
Power Member

Dec 2009
Canada
Default God of War (2018)

Thanks given by:
Anecdotal (10-24-2021), ps3bd_owner (10-25-2021), red_5ive (10-24-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Man, it's going to get to a point that if you own a gaming PC, it makes no sense to own a Playstation console.
Thanks given by:
Batman90 (10-23-2021), ps3bd_owner (10-25-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 06:02 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Sweet! Still haven't gotten around to playing this one, but I'll definitely wait for it on PC.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:22 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Man, it's going to get to a point that if you own a gaming PC, it makes no sense to own a Playstation console.
Yeah I ended up upgrading my rig earlier this year after not being able to get my hands on a PS5. I haven't fired up my PS4 since the last exclusive I played (Ghost of Tsushima) and have been almost exclusively on PC. I'll still play exclusives, in which case I still need to grab the DC of GoT.

But I have to get on my soapbox for a moment and say, Cyberpunk on PC at 60 fps @ 144Hz + HDR + ray tracing (almost 90 fps if I disable HDR and ray tracing) on a super ultrawide monitor and flawless gameplay is pure immersion.

PS5 is becoming an afterthought.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
Thornton, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Man, it's going to get to a point that if you own a gaming PC, it makes no sense to own a console.
Fixed.

Anyway I just beat this game on the PS5 after owing it for several years... I feel stupid for not playing it sooner because it is a great game, but I am glad I got to play it in the best possible way, at least that is until this version comes out. Doubt I will buy it though.
Thanks given by:
ZHobbs (10-26-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2018
Seattle

Day 1.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:23 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

It's nice to see SONY embracing PC gaming at long last. Hopefully GT7 will make its way to PC, too

Nintendo is still standing on their own, but they'll probably start releasing at some point. They released games for a Chinese console, don't remember its name now.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #8

May 2021

Totally worth double dipping for me. God of War and Kingdom Hearts were the only reasons I really had to keep buying Playstations. The game is fantastic too and can't wait to play it again.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:37 AM   #9
Power Member

Dec 2009
Canada

Thanks given by:
red_5ive (12-09-2021)
Old 01-13-2022, 03:37 PM   #10
Power Member

Dec 2009
Canada

Old 01-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2020

I didn't like this. Never finished it. The original trilogy was better.

It has an average story that takes itself too seriously, with a protagonist that never convinces you as the same man from the original trilogy. The personality they made for him is bland. The original character wasn't great either, but at least they kept any introspection to a minimum and focused first and foremost on the gameplay. The Greek myths it was inspired by didn't have characters talking and talking idly for hours on end, making quips, which makes the reboot such an odd fit. I'd puke if Clash of the Titans had that everyday Marvel dialogue. It's embarrassing how seriously the game takes itself while feeling so amateur as a story. In the original trilogy, it was more like the story was just there to move you along through the epic, so it was easier to forgive its shortcomings. The narrator and cutscenes moved the story along nicely. The new game being presented in a single camera shot just puts you through more nothing in the story. Cutscenes could have expedited some of the more boring parts.

About 80 percent of the game is without music, replaced by the talking and the ambient sounds, a stark contrast to the bombastic, atmospheric scores of the original trilogy. No music would work if it was a game that oozed atmosphere and had complex levels, like the Souls series, but here, because the level design and art direction aren't that good, the lack of music just makes it all more boring after a while. As does the lack of comical violence and nudity.

Placated Kratos can't even jump. Some fighter. I could defeat him by simply getting above him. ***** won't even be able to see me half the time because the third person shooter camera gives him a terrible field of view. He can't turn his head separately. At least he can turn digitally instead of by slow analog now. That's something. The fixed cameras of the original trilogy worked much better. You could handle more enemies faster and traverse the levels more easily without constantly flicking at the camera. Didn't need those artificial danger indicators.

There aren't many exploration-focused 3D action-adventure games without jumping. Zelda didn't have it for the longest time, but it made up for that with better level design, and it still built platforms for the auto-jump. If the platforms were too far, Link would grab them. In God of War, the auto-jump is just there to get you to the next part of the room, and it doesn't even feel like a part of the gameplay. Makes the areas more one-dimensional than they used to be. Also gives you fewer ways to dodge, which means the enemies have fewer types of attacks. But yeah, if you can't jump, then your action-adventure better have really good level design to compensate, and God of War just doesn't. Some people call it Metroidvania, but how well are most areas designed? Being interconnected doesn't make one area good. Good level design would be much harder for God of War to do because it now has to accommodate the partner AI, walking and talking and cinematic moments.
Thanks given by:
Talal86 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 09:53 PM   #12
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2006
Let Me In!

I'll wait for it to go onsale.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:30 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2016

Replaying this on PC just reinforces for me that this is a true all-time great. Perfect blend of action, exploration, and story. I took a couple pics to compare standard frame vs ultrawide:

Great game either way but after playing on the ultrawide I had a hard time going back to standard widescreen, even with how good it looks on the OLED.
Thanks given by:
evoll (01-22-2022), red_5ive (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 12:12 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnoyes View Post
Replaying this on PC just reinforces for me that this is a true all-time great. Perfect blend of action, exploration, and story. I took a couple pics to compare standard frame vs ultrawide:

[Show spoiler]

Great game either way but after playing on the ultrawide I had a hard time going back to standard widescreen, even with how good it looks on the OLED.
I can't do 16 x 9 anymore either. I have a 50" 4k HDR TV mounted above my workstation, but after going with a super ultrawide, I rarely play on the TV anymore. I much prefer the wider display, and 144 Hz at 80-100 fps is icing on the cake.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:36 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2018
Seattle

Just a heads up for everyone. Turning Shadows down from Ultra to High gives you a pretty massive FPS boost.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:05 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
I can't do 16 x 9 anymore either. I have a 50" 4k HDR TV mounted above my workstation, but after going with a super ultrawide, I rarely play on the TV anymore. I much prefer the wider display, and 144 Hz at 80-100 fps is icing on the cake.
Just finished the game and 100% achievements. I probably played 80% on the ultrawide and that was my preference. I do still love seeing the visuals on the OLED, especially the darker scenes with all the cool lighting effects. Oddly, I didn't like playing in 21:9 on the OLED. Not sure why since the black bars weren't really a factor. Anyway, the game looks great either way.
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (01-25-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 03:49 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011
Buffalo NY

Ill be replaying this in the near future on the PS5. Cant wait for the sequel.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > PC Gaming