Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
1 day ago
Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
The Killing 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.52
5 hrs ago
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.49
5 hrs ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Candyman 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 day ago
Edge of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Wild Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99

The Shawshank Redemption 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
21 hrs ago
Halloween Kills 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Zack Snyder's Justice League 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-25-2022, 08:16 PM   #1481
Special Member

Aug 2017
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
What scene is it? The one I mentioned? Thanx in advance!
Yep. But last 35 min I kept DV on just to see how irritating it was. Wasn't too bad in fact. Was gone for long stretches then popped up once. Happened few times inside the cabin when douvee shows chance the old shotgun. There it really rocked back and forth a few times. And after that it was fine again.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:23 PM   #1482

Sep 2015
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris_schaffer View Post
Yep. But last 35 min I kept DV on just to see how irritating it was. Wasn't too bad in fact. Was gone for long stretches then popped up once. Happened few times inside the cabin when douvee shows chance the old shotgun. There it really rocked back and forth a few times. And after that it was fine again.
Thanx for the reply! Will re-watch with DV in the next couple of days! I think somewhere in this thread someone mentioned the issue only appeared up to about 1 hour into the movie...
Will check!
Thanks given by:
morris_schaffer (04-25-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 03:27 AM   #1483

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Watched my copy over the weekend, and was a first-time viewing as well. Absolutely loved it. Van Damme isn't exactly the greatest actor but he kicked ass (literally) during the action scenes. And he's nice to look at, so he's got that going for him lol. Was hoping for a scene where he takes off his shirt but no dice. The movie is pretty ridiculous, but it's a hell of a fun watch. I also loved the score, the twangy guitar theme sort of reminded me Hans Zimmer's score for Thelma & Louise, and that's not a bad thing. I thought it suited the movie perfectly. Very '90s.

Overall I gotta echo what others have been saying about the transfer. This thing is effing gorgeous. However, once again I've been having the same brightness fluctuations that plagued Kino's UHD of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It happens even more this time around. There were at least 8-10 instances where the brightness fluctuates between shots. The shot will cut, then immediately after the brightness levels shift. Then the scene cuts again, and that shot too will have a brief jump in brightness. It happens in a few scenes where the shots are cutting back and forth between people having a conversation. Each time the brightness levels spike, it takes you out of the movie for a second. It's hella annoying and it only seems to be happening with Kino UHDs. Is it the way they've mastered their discs? There's something happening with the way my UB820 reads these discs because I pop them into my X700 and these issues are nowhere to be found. Is this gonna happen with every Kino UHD? It doesn't happen with my Arrow UHDs or other 4Ks from the majors. It seems to only be Kino UHDs where this is a problem.

~Matt
So is it that the Kino's have higher Dolby Vision bitrates than other labels and the fluctuations happen when playing from Panasonic player to Sony TV and then this issue goes away when using Sony player to Sony TV? Where did you see the fluctuations in Silence of the Lambs?
Old 05-01-2022, 06:02 PM   #1484

Sep 2015
Germany

I rewatched the disc with DV activated.
It looks like I've overreacted initially: Matt89 reported brightness shifts occuring directly in new (or in between?) shots. I've only seen very slight brightness changes a couple of seconds into a shot and if I hadn't specifically sought it out, I wouldn't have noticed!
So I guess, I am lucky and my setup ism't prone to this particular error...
Old 05-17-2022, 02:02 AM   #1485
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

Had same brightness issues playing the DV on my Panasonic 820. Plays fine when I switched to my Sony player though.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:19 PM   #1486
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

Been watching a bunch of John Woo HK movies lately so figured I'd give this a spin. I'd only seen this movie once on cable maybe 20 years ago. 4K looks good and it's pretty fun. Good action.

Started listening to the commentary recorded for this release and the two guys keep referencing the work print version as though it's something everyone has seen. Disappointed to see it's not included nor does the disc include any of the material they keep talking about.
Thanks given by:
GRSN (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:06 AM   #1487

Sep 2015
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizor View Post
Been watching a bunch of John Woo HK movies lately
Can you recommend any particular release for Hard boiled, Bullet in the Head and The Killer?
I've been wanting to get those on bluray, but so far only found sub par releases (e. g. interlaced)? Been wondering about the HK or JP release of Hard boiled...
Thanks given by:
GRSN (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 11:22 PM   #1488

Dec 2018
Netherlands

Maybe Rizor can recommend you a faster option,
but i used this website : https://www.hongkongrescue.com/ last year January for Hard Boiled,
paid 25,89 and got it in July,
can't remember if i paid import duties tho (because my memory was foggy caused by COVID)
Thanks given by:
Rollo Tomassi (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 01:52 AM   #1489
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
Can you recommend any particular release for Hard boiled, Bullet in the Head and The Killer?
I've been wanting to get those on bluray, but so far only found sub par releases (e. g. interlaced)? Been wondering about the HK or JP release of Hard boiled...
Not really. I have the HKR versions of The Killer and Hard Boiled and the Nova Media version of Bullet in the Head. Hard Boiled looks okay. As I understand it, the HKR guy took the transfer from the Japanese disc. The Killer looks like he did some AI upscaling on another transfer. Nova's Bullet in the Head looks like a middling DVD.
Thanks given by:
Rollo Tomassi (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 03:14 AM   #1490
Expert Member

Jan 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRSN View Post
Maybe Rizor can recommend you a faster option,
but i used this website : https://www.hongkongrescue.com/ last year January for Hard Boiled,
paid €25,89 and got it in July,
can't remember if i paid import duties tho (because my memory was foggy caused by COVID)
Quote:
Not really. I have the HKR versions of The Killer and Hard Boiled and the Nova Media version of Bullet in the Head. Hard Boiled looks okay. As I understand it, the HKR guy took the transfer from the Japanese disc. The Killer looks like he did some AI upscaling on another transfer. Nova's Bullet in the Head looks like a middling DVD.
If you’re considering sending money to HKR, might I suggest lighting it on fire and using it for warmth instead? See the discussion about that jack*** in The Killer thread, I’m among many users he screwed over:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
Sorry to hear it. I filed a dispute and got a refund from Paypal because he couldn't even be bothered to respond. No idea how he still has an account. His disputes must be legion.
Thanks given by:
GRSN (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 03:24 AM   #1491
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Started listening to the commentary recorded for this release and the two guys keep referencing the work print version as though it's something everyone has seen. Disappointed to see it's not included nor does the disc include any of the material they keep talking about.

Thanks given by:
Mikezilla3k (05-19-2022), Rizor (05-19-2022), Socko (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 03:44 AM   #1492
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxHead View Post
If youre considering sending money to HKR, might I suggest lighting it on fire and using it for warmth instead? See the discussion about that jack*** in The Killer thread, Im among many users he screwed over:
I wouldn't recommend them either at this point. Still waiting for another disc I ordered over a year ago. If anyone does consider ordering from them, if you don't received the item within 5 months, file a Paypal dispute and he'll either ship it or you'll get a refund.
Thanks given by:
waxHead (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 07:36 AM   #1493

Sep 2015
Germany

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend them either at this point. Still waiting for another disc I ordered over a year ago. If anyone does consider ordering from them, if you don't received the item within 5 months, file a Paypal dispute and he'll either ship it or you'll get a refund.
Thanx for your replies, everyone!
No, I wouldn't use any dubious sellers, that keep me waiting for months. I believe the HKR Hard Boiled disc is available on blowitoutahere. Might go with them. My question was mainly aimed at the transfer quality, which at least in the case of HB seems a reasonable upgrade over my ancient DVD. As for Bullet or Killer, I'm still on the fence...

Last edited by Rollo Tomassi; 05-19-2022 at 07:43 AM.
Thanks given by:
waxHead (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 07:54 PM   #1494

Dec 2018
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxHead View Post
If you’re considering sending money to HKR, might I suggest lighting it on fire and using it for warmth instead? See the discussion about that jack*** in The Killer thread, I’m among many users he screwed over:
Yeah, was also on the fence before ordering,
but it was recommended by someone here, so i thought it was OK.

happy with the transfer for Hard Boiled,
wanted to order some more from them, but better not anymore

as for Hard Target, hopefully Universal release it themselves with all the extras + more (like diff. cuts)
Thanks given by:
Rollo Tomassi (05-19-2022), waxHead (05-19-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies