Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
24 min ago
The Outer Limits: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$46.25

A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.96
4 hrs ago
Looker (Blu-ray)
$17.97

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$29.33

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
9 hrs ago
The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Metropolis (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Sorry to Bother You (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mandy (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #1801

Sep 2009
Central Coast, NSW, Australia

I've posted this in my https://forum.blu-ray.com/home-theat...tre-build.html thread but thought I might throw in my attempt at constructing some sub risers!

I came across some stored timber I'd kept for any projects that might come up. Sure enough, rather than throw it out in the tidy up I thought I'd put it to good use and build some sub risers. As it turned out, the wood was the perfect size to build two risers!

The risers have been built to have approximately 1" of clearance on each side when a DSP-3200 is placed on them. That'll be enough to give them sure footing but to also still maintain a small footprint.

Construction took about 1.5 hours to measure, cut and put together. After a trip to the hardware store today for carpet and glue I covered them. That took another 1.5 hours. I'll install rubber feet as well as put foam between the legs when we get into the new place and I start building the new home theatre room.

I placed one of the finished risers under my current sub in my living room setup in our old house just to see what difference it might make. Apart from a far smoother response I registered close to a 5dB volume increase across the board with the SPL meter without any change in calibration!

All in all it cost me $25 for the two risers (only had to buy carpet and glue) so that's $12.50 per sub well spent! Came out looking pretty tidy too so I can't complain.

I can't wait to get these in the new home theatre room and let the 2 DSP-3200s loose on them!

~{ "I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." }~
Old 09-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #1802

Dec 2010

Is there a type of dense foam, a few inches high, or rubber blocks or something, that i can use as feet? I dont want to use wood feet.

Something like the foam included with this A2-300:

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL93.../387758501.jpg
Old 09-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #1803

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexp80 View Post
I've posted this in my https://forum.blu-ray.com/home-theat...tre-build.html thread but thought I might throw in my attempt at constructing some sub risers!

I came across some stored timber I'd kept for any projects that might come up. Sure enough, rather than throw it out in the tidy up I thought I'd put it to good use and build some sub risers. As it turned out, the wood was the perfect size to build two risers!

The risers have been built to have approximately 1" of clearance on each side when a DSP-3200 is placed on them. That'll be enough to give them sure footing but to also still maintain a small footprint.

Construction took about 1.5 hours to measure, cut and put together. After a trip to the hardware store today for carpet and glue I covered them. That took another 1.5 hours. I'll install rubber feet as well as put foam between the legs when we get into the new place and I start building the new home theatre room.

I placed one of the finished risers under my current sub in my living room setup in our old house just to see what difference it might make. Apart from a far smoother response I registered close to a 5dB volume increase across the board with the SPL meter without any change in calibration!

All in all it cost me $25 for the two risers (only had to buy carpet and glue) so that's $12.50 per sub well spent! Came out looking pretty tidy too so I can't complain.

I can't wait to get these in the new home theatre room and let the 2 DSP-3200s loose on them!

I think they turned out great atexp80 nice job on them
Brent

Changing to 4K ~ Got the 60" TV & enjoying the 4K Blu-rays.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:45 AM   #1804
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by test123455 View Post
Is there a type of dense foam, a few inches high, or rubber blocks or something, that i can use as feet? I dont want to use wood feet.

Something like the foam included with this A2-300:

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL93.../387758501.jpg
How about Hockey pucks .

Old 09-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #1805

Dec 2010

Im looking for foam like this:

https://images.static-bluray.com/htg...48403_full.jpg

and i cant find it anywhere locally!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #1806
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Im looking for foam like this:

https://images.static-bluray.com/htg...48403_full.jpg

and i cant find it anywhere locally!
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packag...agingfoam.html
http://www.foamorder.com/packing.html
http://foampackagingcompany.com/
http://www.foamforyou.com/custom_foam_packaging.htm
http://www.foampackagingcompany.com/...lene-foam.html
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #1807

Dec 2010

Do ou guys think sanding sponges would work as the feet of a riser/isolation pad?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #1808

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

Quote:
Do ou guys think sanding sponges would work as the feet of a riser/isolation pad?
Hard to say.....don't you think they would compress over time from the weight of the sub?
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
Old 09-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #1809
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fors* View Post
Hard to say.....don't you think they would compress over time from the weight of the sub?
I agree with this. It's much wiser to use the rubber legs BigDaddy's been linking people to if you want to do something like this.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #1810

Dec 2010

I bought 8 sanding sponges. I'm still deciding whether or not to use them. The foam seems thicker than any other foams I've seen and yet not hard like styrofoam. There would be a little bit of compression maybe but I dunno...they seem pretty solid. Plus I would be doubling them up.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #1811
Expert Member

Jan 2008
Cincinnati Ohio

Well i've built most of my risers now. I just need to find some black carpet to cover them with and hopefully get some rubber feet for the bottom.

They are 3/4" thick plywood 16" x 20" x 4" tall. All of this has been free so far since my work has all the materials and scrap to use for free. I used wood glue and pneumatic staple gun to secure everything together.

Here is the interesting part that I don't think anybody has tried yet. We had some window and door insulating foam in a can sitting around. I figured it would work pretty well instead of trying to find some foam pieces to fit the opening underneath. For reference we used 3 full cans and it only filled about 1/2 of the empty space underneath the risers. The stuff expanded to what you see in the pictures overnight. I will be using a hacksaw to saw off the excess that overhangs the bottom.

I will update once I finish them and calibrate them with the new PA-120 sub that should arrive this week.

Theater Room
Sony HW55ES 3D projector w 120" Monoprice masking screen, Panasonic BDT460, PS4, Amazon 4K Fire TV, APC H10,
Pioneer Elite SC-81 w/ Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 60's, Polk FXI3's, PA-120 Sub & Acoustic Audio 12" HD SUB, Harmony One

PSN: jruc03
Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #1812

Jul 2011

Right now I am using some cheapo imitation sub riser just to experiment. It's simply a sturdy styrofoam block that is 9cm thick.

I did this because I wanted to see if it is definitely an upgrade and whether or not I should build my own risers with wood and foam. However, the styrofoam riser doesn't appear to do anything. Could I expect a lot more from a true DIY riser like those in this thread?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub-riser.jpg (81.6 KB, 32 views)
Bam!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #1813
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruc03 View Post
Well i've built most of my risers now. I just need to find some black carpet to cover them with and hopefully get some rubber feet for the bottom.

They are 3/4" thick plywood 16" x 20" x 4" tall. All of this has been free so far since my work has all the materials and scrap to use for free. I used wood glue and pneumatic staple gun to secure everything together.

[Show spoiler]

Here is the interesting part that I don't think anybody has tried yet. We had some window and door insulating foam in a can sitting around. I figured it would work pretty well instead of trying to find some foam pieces to fit the opening underneath. For reference we used 3 full cans and it only filled about 1/2 of the empty space underneath the risers. The stuff expanded to what you see in the pictures overnight. I will be using a hacksaw to saw off the excess that overhangs the bottom.

[Show spoiler]

I will update once I finish them and calibrate them with the new PA-120 sub that should arrive this week.
Great Sub, I have 2 of em'! Looks very good, that is Def Different (expanding foam), hopefully it works the same. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickItUpANotch View Post
Right now I am using some cheapo imitation sub riser just to experiment. It's simply a sturdy styrofoam block that is 9cm thick.

I did this because I wanted to see if it is definitely an upgrade and whether or not I should build my own risers with wood and foam. However, the styrofoam riser doesn't appear to do anything. Could I expect a lot more from a true DIY riser like those in this thread?
Hard to tell from that One photo - do you have any more you could take?

Most would say DIY Risers should be at Least 4-8" tall
[Show spoiler](some do em' Much Higher)
and really should be 100% isolated
[Show spoiler](with carpet, and/or foam)
from the Floor AND the Sub itself, so that the Sub almost appears to be Floating off the ground, AUDIO Wise, that is. In other words, no low-end travels down thru the riser or floor to Vibrate beneath you - the sound waves just travel OUT into the room.

If you have time, browse thru this thread, see the various DIY Risers everyone's done, get some ideas to incorporate into your Own build, if you choose to do so.
POLK AUDIO: "LIVE IT, BREATHE IT, LOVE IT, BELIEVE IT!"
TV: 70" SHARP 3D/LC-70UQ17U - POLK AUDIO - "7.2" / Center: CS2 - Front: RTiA5's
Surrounds: FXi A6's (Sides), FXiA3's (Rears) - 2 Onkyo SKH-410 DOLBY ATMOS Spkrs / Subs: 2 PA-120's
ONKYO TX-NR838: DOLBY ATMOS (Ready) - Emotiva XPA-3/Gen 2 - OPPO BDP-103D
DirecTV: HR-44 HD-DVR - Remote: Harmony ONE
Old 09-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #1814
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickItUpANotch View Post

I might be in the minority, but I had my SVS on a ~6" platform and I did not feel there was any difference. Granted, I really only have one place to put my sub, so that may be the reason why I heard no difference.

I have to deal with WAF or I would probably have them on the side walls half way between the front and back walls.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Old 09-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #1815
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Question: As my HT is in my basement, which has carpeting over a concrete slab, would a sub riser really serve any purpose in my situation? I may build one just for something to do, but do I really need it?
PSN: ricshoe64

Vizio M70-D3 | Marantz SR7010 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Samsung UBD-KM85C
APC H15 | XBox One | Sony PS4
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread
Old 09-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #1816
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricshoe View Post
Question: As my HT is in my basement, which has carpeting over a concrete slab, would a sub riser really serve any purpose in my situation? I may build one just for something to do, but do I really need it?
That is the same situation I am in and I did not hear any difference. Just my two cents...
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Old 11-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #1817

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post
I tried a little experiment a couple of days ago(still doing this). I had a couple of Yellow Pages the same height and put them under my Velodyne VX-11 subwoofer. The difference was noticable almost immediately. I was watching Sherlock Holmes, and the LFE was amazing, I felt it better than when my sub was just on the floor of my apartment. Okay, so now I have decided it's time for a sub riser. Looking at the links that BigDaddy provided I'm thinking of going with either the Auralex Gramma or the SubDude. Here is where I could use some help. The dimensions of the VX-11 are as follows: 15"Hx12"Wx17"D.
The Gramma is 15"Wx23"L, and the SubDude is 15"x15".
Given the dimmensions of the sub am I better off getting the Gramma which is a few inches longer, or the SubDude which is the same width, but shorter length wise? Or am I better off just going to Home Depot or Menard's and getting a sheet of plywood and some wooden feet cut in the dimensions of the subwoofer? Any ideas/help is appreciated.
I think being creative & making your own makes it better. DIY I have made all 3 of my risers so they are unique & one of a kind. no one on earth has one like it

I am also a firm believer that the higher the sub the better the sound ~ Just remember I am crazy

Been awhile since I posted these so here are my sub risers.

My 15" sub riser.

My 12" sub riser.

My 10" sub riser.

Brent

Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #1818
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
I think being creative & making your own makes it better. DIY I have made all 3 of my risers so they are unique & one of a kind. no one on earth has one like it

I am also a firm believer that the higher the sub the better the sound ~ Just remember I am crazy

Been awhile since I posted these so here are my sub risers.

My 15" sub riser.

My 12" sub riser.

My 10" sub riser.

They are classy looking Brent.

Did you put anything inside of those subtraps/risers?
PJ: JVC DLA-X30 (w/ DVDO iScan Duo, i1 Display Pro & Darbee DVP5000), Elite Spectrum 125" Speakers: B&W CMC2, 2x CM9, 2x CM5, 2x SVS SB12-NSD, 3x Clark TST209 Bluray Player: Denon DBP-4010UD AV Receiver/Amp: Denon AVR-4311 (w/ MultEQ Pro, FBQ1000 & Premium + Dayton EMM-6), Dayton SA240-B
Old 11-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #1819

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceape View Post
They are classy looking Brent.

Did you put anything inside of those subtraps/risers?
They are all filled with foam Tommy.

BTW ~ Thanks
Brent

Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #1820
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
They are all filled with foam Tommy.

BTW ~ Thanks
Cool. The reason for asking is that i might try and do an upgrade on my subdudes sometime in the future. I have lots of rockwool left from making my diy absorption panels so were thinking of maybe making a couple of square wood frames and fill them with some of that placing them on top of the subdudes.

Right now it's just in my head though hehe.
PJ: JVC DLA-X30 (w/ DVDO iScan Duo, i1 Display Pro & Darbee DVP5000), Elite Spectrum 125" Speakers: B&W CMC2, 2x CM9, 2x CM5, 2x SVS SB12-NSD, 3x Clark TST209 Bluray Player: Denon DBP-4010UD AV Receiver/Amp: Denon AVR-4311 (w/ MultEQ Pro, FBQ1000 & Premium + Dayton EMM-6), Dayton SA240-B

Last edited by spaceape; 11-06-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers