Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
A Perfect Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
7 hrs ago
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99

G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ip Man: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Wonder Woman 1984 4K / Wonder Woman 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.49
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2013
Bay Area, CA

T2 should have a category of its own; Wax Museum tier or something like that.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (05-18-2018), kristoffer (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 11:24 PM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
I think E.T. can go into light section. Grain is certainly managed there.
I'd put E.T. in the moderate category, very apparent slowmo/trailing grain throughout the entire movie. I found it more distracting than TDK.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:20 AM   #43

Apr 2008

I can't recall any scenes in The Dark Knight that looked obviously DNR'd to me. Can anyone provide timecodes of when they spotted it?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:33 AM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amano View Post
Hmm. I don't think that Dredd belongs in that list at all? The detail was not lost due to DNR but due to the generational loss of being a filmout. So grain was rather added than removed?

I don't think that those filmout ideas for UHD are great.
Yeah, Dredd is the opposite of DNR because of the film out.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:47 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorp View Post
I can't recall any scenes in The Dark Knight that looked obviously DNR'd to me. Can anyone provide timecodes of when they spotted it?
Too lazy too timecode, but an obvious one I recall is fairly early on when Dent is talking to Gordon in his office (where he mentions the nickname some had for him). On the shots with Dent you can clearly see the grain in the background following his movement.

And for a comparison go to around 32:38 when Fox is talking to Lau. There will be exactly three shots that look untouched:

Then it goes back to the slow-moving, sluggish DNR'd grain.

Also I'd like to nominate Jurassic Park for light DNR.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:16 AM   #46
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007

Quote:
I haven't seen Paramount one, but people say Universal provides the transfer, so I don't know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett75 View Post
On Paramount version also?
Regarding Gladiator, I watched the Paramount version the other night and it has it - looks very similar to the Uni caps I've seen.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Regarding Gladiator, I watched the Paramount version the other night and it has it - looks very similar to the Uni caps I've seen.
Someone at movieside ("replacement" for the "dying" cinefacts) says that on the Paramount release the "Gladiator" title doesn't change to gold (as has been reported here with the Universal release), so it seems as if the Paramount and the Universal release are at least not identical. He also said that it looks soft at times, but not exactly DNRd either.

It will be interesting.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:58 PM   #48
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy969 View Post
Someone at movieside ("replacement" for the "dying" cinefacts) says that on the Paramount release the "Gladiator" title doesn't change to gold (as has been reported here with the Universal release), so it seems as if the Paramount and the Universal release are at least not identical. He also said that it looks soft at times, but not exactly DNRd either.

It will be interesting.
I will check the title color tonight.

There is definitely some filtering on it though. I would classify it as "light" category and it's inconsistent. Meaning, some scenes look fine where as others show it, but there is always at least some thinned grain in those places and nothing waxy at all. However, there are some scenes on the BD that show a bit more detail than the UHD BD in regards to the DNR spots. I also only noticed maybe two white specs in the entire movie. I have no idea though if the Universal release is still overall worse or not.
Thanks given by:
andreasy969 (05-18-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #49

Oct 2008

Pacific Rim?
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=3&x=...9&l=0&i=4&go=1
Old 05-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #50
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

If there's a thread that contains a List of UHDs That Don't Look Like Lego When Zoomed In To Microscopic Levels then Pacific Rim would qualify. As for DNR...u mad bro?
Thanks given by:
yandybox (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #51
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandybox View Post
Seems fine to me.

That scene screenshot, has some rain missing, which can be found back on the 4K Blu-ray.

Thanks given by:
yandybox (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #52

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
...u mad bro?
I think the correct term is.....baked.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #53

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter V View Post
Seems fine to me.

That scene screenshot, has some rain missing, which can be found back on the 4K Blu-ray.

Yeah I have noticed a lot more detail in the other shots, that other one just stood out to me, but see my reply to Geoff.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amano View Post
Hmm. I don't think that Dredd belongs in that list at all?
Agreed. Same goes for Oblivion imo. In my book there's a difference between DNRd and soft looking/blurred. The first usually looking like shit and mostly being related to grain, the latter "just" looking soft. I think even with Yuma the main issue isn't DNR, but the silly filmout process.

The one title that has been DNRd rather heavily at times and which actually happens to affect the actual look of the movie (without having to pixel peep at ridiculously zoomed-in levels) is still missing from that list though: The Martian EE ...

Other than that, I really think the thread title should be renamed to sth more generic instead of just "DNR" - right now I still think it's misleading with certain titles. Looking at that list, one may also come to the (false) conlusion that "Chamber Of Secrets" is less of an upgrade than "Underworld" for ex - so very wrong imo ...

Quote:
Yeah I have noticed a lot more detail in the other shots, that other one just stood out to me, but see my reply to Geoff.
Neither do I see DNR on the UHD nor do see a lot of more detail on the UHD - I think I basically see (and there is) none. Like the reliable people have always said: You're getting some nice (gimmick) HDR with that disc (and better compression of course), but that's about it.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #55
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy969 View Post
Agreed. Same goes for Oblivion imo. In my book there's a difference between DNRd and soft looking/blurred. The first usually looking like shit and mostly being related to grain, the latter "just" looking soft. I think even with Yuma the main issue isn't DNR, but the silly filmout process.

The one title that has been DNRd rather heavily at times and which actually happens to affect the actual look of the movie (without having to pixel peep at ridiculously zoomed-in levels) is still missing from that list though: The Martian EE ...

Other than that, I really think the thread title should be renamed to sth more generic instead of just "DNR" - right now I still think it's misleading with certain titles. Looking at that list, one may also come to the (false) conlusion that "Chamber Of Secrets" is less of an upgrade than "Underworld" for ex - so very wrong imo ...

Neither do I see DNR on the UHD nor do see a lot of more detail on the UHD - I think I basically see (and there is) none. Like the reliable people have always said: You're getting some nice (gimmick) HDR with that disc (and better compression of course), but that's about it.
Yeah. It might seem like splitting hairs when it comes to Oblivion - because soft is soft, amiright? - but there's a difference between noise reduction and a lowpass filter, so named because it blocks high frequencies and only lets the lower frequencies through. Oblivion doesn't look noise reduced to me at all, it looks like a blanket filtration of all the finer detail that was once there. Noise reduction is often accompanied by sharpening due to them trying to sharpen up the newly softened shot (so why DNR it in the first place ) but there's no ringing to be seen on the Oblivion UHD which is why I'm happy to sharpen the shit out of it at my playback end. I would never consider doing such a thing for 99.999% of all content I've ever watched but this disc can stand it because it's been filtered sooooo strongly to begin with.

(Pac Rim is still a winner in my book for the expansion of the shadow detail alone which is SUPER crushy on the regular BD, and always was. So as with Watchmen, the HDR may well be considered "fake" by some because it doesn't expand the highlights but because it expands the lowlights then I can live with it.)

Quote:
I think the correct term is.....baked.
Thanks given by:
andreasy969 (05-20-2018), yandybox (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #56
Special Member

Apr 2016
Aldome, Pluto II, Andromeda Galaxy

I'd say medium for Jurassic Park, based of of Geoff's review.

Last edited by legends of beyond; 05-20-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015
The City

Quote:
Pacific Rim?
Yeah, can be put into "light". Look at that shot with Ron Perlman. Easily noticeable on his face.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yeah. It might seem like splitting hairs when it comes to Oblivion - because soft is soft, amiright? - but there's a difference between noise reduction and a lowpass filter,
Yes, my point exactly. And since the thread is called "contains DNR", splitting hairs kinda is in order imho. I really don't want to be an overly smart ass or sth, but in regard to usefulness, I think "List of flawed/problematic/whatsoever UHDs" (I'm sure the native English can come up with a better title) would really be the better option. And I really think such a/this thread is very useful. But when it says "DNR", I'm somewhat inclined to split hairs.

Quote:
(Pac Rim is still a winner in my book for the expansion of the shadow detail alone which is SUPER crushy on the regular BD, and always was. So as with Watchmen, the HDR may well be considered "fake" by some because it doesn't expand the highlights but because it expands the lowlights then I can live with it.)
I actually put a "nice" there and put the gimmick in brackets, so I won't offend anyone. Really, I'm sure it looks nice, but I still think it's worth pointing out the difference between the two kinds of HDR. I for one really don't like this movie anyway, so I don't really care with this one and the BD will do at any rate.

Quote:
Yeah, can be put into "light". Look at that shot with Ron Perlman. Easily noticeable on his face.
Yes, I think maybe it's slightly more filtered than the BD there, but than again, it's hard to tell imo - that's especially with the colors of the SDR converted caps and maybe the BD is also just looking more "wonky" due to inferior compression. Don't know. Both look filtered at any rate though.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
Germany

I just skipped through my Joneses disc (didn't watch the UHD-BD yet, since I didn't have a player back then) to see, if I could spot anything "offensive", and yes, I'm afraid I did:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/114013

Reminds me of Alfred. But it also doesn't seem to affect the whole movie.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015
The City

^Alfred is muuuuuch worse. But it still looks filtered. Probably goes to light.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies