Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Batman Beyond (Blu-ray)
$69.96

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 hr ago
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$10.39

Paganini Horror (Blu-ray)
$23.49
16 hrs ago
Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 05-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

Jan 2008
Default Thoughts on Acoustic panel/bass trap placement.

One of the last steps in my HT (chronicled here https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=284779) is adding some Bass traps and Acoustic panels. My room is not real conducive to a nice balanced approach for panel placement. Everything is where it needs to be, and basically are not relocatable. The rack throws the biggest monkey wrench in. But at least it is a decent diffuser, that is partly why I put the plant in the right corner, to balance the rack out (at least a little). The left side of the room is well curtained and open over the stairs. No real place to put any panels.

My thoughts are a superchunk bass trap in front right corner, and 4 panels along open right side wall. That wall reflects a lot more than the left side and throws imaging off a bit. I am not sure if I need anything in the back right corner, being as the angled bookcase acts a diffuser and kind of blocks off the corner. I could put a bass trap behind it, if anyone thinks that would do anything. I am going to put 2 acoustic panels on wall just right of the book case. There is no place for a bass trap in left rear corner, but I am going to put 2 panels on adjacent short rear wall between doors. I am not planning on any ceiling mounted panels. I could also put a small(ish) Bass trap in the corner above the rack.

Stairs

back left corner

I am no expert on these, but I would think putting 8-10 panels where I can, and a few base traps should tame reflections fairly well. Let me know you thoughts.

Thanks.

Last edited by brad1138; 05-14-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:30 AM   #2

Apr 2017
Near Houston, TX

You need to play the mirror trick :-)
to find the first point of reflection of your speakers, then place the panels!
Old 05-15-2017, 04:25 AM   #3

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
You need to play the mirror trick :-)
to find the first point of reflection of your speakers, then place the panels!
Yeah, I know that part, but it is also to absorb in general. I guess the bigger question was the bass trap placement, and I am kind of limited there. I only have a few places to put them. I will probably do the front right, a small one top front left, and one behind the bookcase. I plan on doing 4" panels in the back left which will be a bit like a bass trap in that corner.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #4

Apr 2017
Near Houston, TX

All corners are usually a good place to start with the bass trap, even the ceiling corner (triangle shape for the corner).
Also, use more dense material for the bass trap, 8 lb for example
Acoustic panels for the side should be 3 to 6 lb, this is "best practice", but anything is better than nothing.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:41 PM   #5

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
Yeah, I know that part, but it is also to absorb in general. I guess the bigger question was the bass trap placement, and I am kind of limited there. I only have a few places to put them. I will probably do the front right, a small one top front left, and one behind the bookcase. I plan on doing 4" panels in the back left which will be a bit like a bass trap in that corner.
That is a tough room for sure, but nice job making it work. In addition to assorted traps to help control standing waves and other gremlins, you might want to check out an outboard sub eq system to assist in flattening out your bass response. There are a couple of choices out there that do a good job and are not crazy expensive. Just an idea.

As far as the traps themselves go, I am a big fan of corner traps as they were more effective for my room, but I had the advantage of a dedicated space with 4 corners. Your plan sounds like a solid one to start, but you might need to experiment to see exactly where the panels are the most effective.

Last edited by gotmule; 05-17-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Thanks given by:
brad1138 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 11:55 PM   #6

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
That is a tough room for sure, but nice job making it work. In addition to assorted traps to help control standing waves and other gremlins, you might want to check out an outboard sub eq system to assist in flattening out your bass response. There are a couple of choices out there that do a good job and are not crazy expensive. Just an idea.

As far as the traps themselves go, I am a big fan of corner traps as they were more effective for my room, but I had the advantage of a dedicated space with 4 corners. Your plan sounds like a solid one to start, but you might need to experiment to see exactly where the panels are the most effective.
Thanks,

My Emotiva has a 3 channel PEQ for the LFE channel, and I was able to flatten it out quite well. I don't have any real sub related anomalies I am trying to fix, but bass traps are supposed to be good, I figured they couldn't hurt. I also thought they, along with the panels, might lower the bass radiating from the house (at least a little). I only have 1 neighbor who can hear my subs, and they have never complained, but I would like to do what I can. I went outside with Ironman playing at volume, and I could hear the outside wall, the right side wall of the HT, vibrating... and of course hear the bass too.

On a tangent, I did use the PEQ to lower the bass 3 dB @ 20 Hz with a 1/2 octave Q, so it basically only affects below 30 Hz. Most can't hear that anyway, but my walls vibrate so much(with bass heavy movies) if I don't do that, it is distracting...

Last edited by brad1138; 05-18-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #7

Feb 2010

Quote:
Thanks,

My Emotiva has a 3 channel PEQ for the LFE channel, and I was able to flatten it out quite well. I don't have any real sub related anomalies I am trying to fix, but bass traps are supposed to be good, I figured they couldn't hurt. I also thought they, along with the panels, might lower the bass radiating from the house (at least a little). I only have 1 neighbor who can hear my subs, and they have never complained, but I would like to do what I can. I went outside with Ironman playing at volume, and I could hear the outside wall, the right side wall of the HT, vibrating... and of course hear the bass too.

On a tangent, I did use the PEQ to lower the bass 3 dB @ 20 Hz with a 1/2 octave Q, so it basically only affects below 30 Hz. Most can't hear that anyway, but my walls vibrate so much(with bass heavy movies) if I don't do that, it is distracting...
Well played...

I have been on missions of chasing the vibration in the room as well, as you are certainly right about it being distracting. I even went through 3 different door handles to finally get one that stayed quiet.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #8

Feb 2010

Quote:
Thanks,

Well played...

I have been on missions of chasing the vibration in the room as well, as you are certainly right about it being distracting. I even went through 3 different door handles to finally get one that stayed quiet.
Thanks given by:
brad1138 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #9

Apr 2017
Near Houston, TX

Quote:
Thanks,

Pretty neat! Make sure you get higher density material for the bass panel, usually 8lb. I am doing something similar with my little space, adding panels with higher density for bass control.
Thanks given by:
brad1138 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #10

Jan 2008

Quote:
Pretty neat! Make sure you get higher density material for the bass panel, usually 8lb. I am doing something similar with my little space, adding panels with higher density for bass control.
I gave up trying to find it in stock locally and ordered some through Amazon. I went with 2 6packs of Roxul Rockboard 60. I am also going to buy "Roxul Safe'n'sound" which is rated very good for bass traps, and available at Lowes/Home Depot.

It is correct that in 2" thick panels, 80 is best, but in 4" thick, or "Super chunk" Corner bass traps, less dense is actually better. I am going to double up a few of the panels to make 4" thick. It should be here in about 1 week.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #11

Apr 2017
Near Houston, TX

Quote:
I gave up trying to find it in stock locally and ordered some through Amazon. I went with 2 6packs of Roxul Rockboard 60. I am also going to buy "Roxul Safe'n'sound" which is rated very good for bass traps, and available at Lowes/Home Depot.

It is correct that in 2" thick panels, 80 is best, but in 4" thick, or "Super chunk" Corner bass traps, less dense is actually better. I am going to double up a few of the panels to make 4" thick. It should be here in about 1 week.
The actual theory, Xtrem ScienceXXX, rocket SpaceShip interGalactic agreement is:
For higher frequency, for example, voice blahblabbla thing, lower density is better, 4lb, 6lb is good.
For lower frequency, bass, subw00f@r, higher density, 8lb is better.

Now about thickness, 2inch, 4inch...
The minimum and most usual set up it 2inch thick for wall panels, 2 to 4.
For bass trap, we are more around 4, 6, 8inch,...

Sounds, echos, ..., problems are usually from the higher audible frequencies.
Denser products will reflect the higher frequencies instead of absorb them.

Also, important point for panels, allow an airgap in between your panels and the wall, see the theory with the below pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg absorption.jpg (21.8 KB, 132 views)
Thanks given by:
brad1138 (05-22-2017), Dwayne (05-20-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 02:58 AM   #12

Jan 2008

Anyone have any thoughts on if it would be necessary or beneficial to put some roxul behind the bookcase?(for bass trapping) The book case has that standard 1/16" cheap cardboard like backing, but with the movies in it, not sure if would be a waste of Roxul to put some behind it. I plan on putting a smallish trap above it, in the corner.

Last edited by brad1138; 06-13-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:56 AM   #13

Apr 2017
Near Houston, TX

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on if it would be necessary or beneficial to put some roxul behind the bookcase?(for bass trapping) The book case has that standard 1/16" cheap cardboard like backing, but with the movies in it, not sure if would be a waste of Roxul to put some behind it. I plan on putting a smallish trap above it, in the corner.

I honestly don't know.
From the basic sound waves, your bookshelf will reflect some and bounce, "attenuate" some in all direction.
For the lower frequency, I don't know, I would think (without having done proper research on it), bass trap can potential be useful behind (dead spot?)...

Question, how did you hook up your panels? Z clip? spacer? picture hanger? mind sharing some pic?
Old 06-14-2017, 03:54 AM   #14

Jan 2008

Quote:
I honestly don't know.
From the basic sound waves, your bookshelf will reflect some and bounce, "attenuate" some in all direction.
For the lower frequency, I don't know, I would think (without having done proper research on it), bass trap can potential be useful behind (dead spot?)...

Question, how did you hook up your panels? Z clip? spacer? picture hanger? mind sharing some pic?
Just some heavy duty picture hanger clips I found at Michaels, and 4 felt pads at the corners to protect wall and keep an even spacing. The design of the frame created about a 1" space between the Roxul and the wall.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:57 AM   #15

Jan 2008

I think I am going to run a Bass trap up the wall behind the bookcase, I have an idea about a cheap way to make them I am starting a new thread on just now.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:37 AM   #16

Jan 2008

Bought some new CDs and had more time to listen to the new and old. 1st, Steely Dan's Aja is an awesome album, 2nd I am even more impressed with the improvements the panels/traps made. Everything is so much more distinct and accurate. Especially the bass, which is much more tangible. I have to listen to my entire library over again to reassess it, everything sounds so much better and "right".

I did put a little Safe and Sound behind the bookcase. All the rattling I originally had with "bassy" surround movies is gone after installng all the bass traps.

When I have time, I'll fix Photobucket pix issue in OP....
Old 07-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #17

Feb 2010

Quote:
Bought some new CDs and had more time to listen to the new and old. 1st, Steely Dan's Aja is an awesome album, 2nd I am even more impressed with the improvements the panels/traps made. Everything is so much more distinct and accurate. Especially the bass, which is much more tangible. I have to listen to my entire library over again to reassess it, everything sounds so much better and "right".

I did put a little Safe and Sound behind the bookcase. All the rattling I originally had with "bassy" surround movies is gone after installng all the bass traps.

When I have time, I'll fix Photobucket pix issue in OP....
Nice job conquering the room! And yes, Aja is an outstanding album. Always a go to piece of vinyl for me.
Thanks given by:
brad1138 (07-07-2017)
Old 09-30-2019, 06:06 AM   #18
reubenstewart123

Default Re: Thoughts on Acoustic panel/bass trap placement

Back inside the day, you can have designed your personal sound-absorbing foam partitions in charcoal gray or black foam. These relics can nonetheless be found, but because youíve probably moved on from gambling electric guitar on your parentís basement, itís time to kick it up a notch and take your sound manage to the following degree!

Acoustic panels strategically positioned on walls, ceilings or even home windows are a high-quality way to manipulate sound and decrease noise. They serve two critical functions:

As a barrier to preserve sound from leaving or entering a room;
To optimize the sound by making the track or man or woman speaking or making a song sound excellent.

Therefore, striking those panels is virtually a technological know-how. Itís not as simple as adding them anywhere in a room. It takes the understanding of a professional in sound like Absolute AV Consulting to do it proper. Owner Richard Friesen says, ďYou can spend quite a few cash doing it yourself, and it probably receivedít sound a lot better. A expert in acoustics can get you the right sound in your room through designing the great road map for your own home or commercial enterprise.

Whether you need simply one panel or twenty, there are hundreds of amazing designs available. You can choose from cutting-edge art, skylines, nature scenes, animals, sports activities, track, food, health, commercial enterprise and extra!

The maximum thrilling thing is you could personalize your acoustic panels with your very own pix! You can use own family snap shots, excursion scenes, professional commercial enterprise photos and even text art. If you're a nearby Nashville business, including a fave Music City icon on your panels can provide your partitions a down-home, local feel. The opportunities are virtually countless!

Imagine you're an orthodontist with an office that adjoins a noisy health club. You even have a pc document complete of consumer pics with lovely instantly teeth. We can take the ones documents and layout your very own custom acoustic panel mural on your reception vicinity and treatment rooms. They will assist reduce the sound of clanging barbells, and you get the introduced bonus of featuring a wall of satisfied, glad clients.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction