Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman Beyond (Blu-ray)
$69.96
4 hrs ago
Samurai Jack: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.96
4 hrs ago
DC 7-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$116.99
6 hrs ago
Paganini Horror (Blu-ray)
$19.89
11 hrs ago
Aladdin (Blu-ray)
$18.00

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Back to the Future: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Angel Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$30.25

Slaughterhouse-Five (Blu-ray)
$28.39
13 hrs ago
Hereditary (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 10-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016
Default Sound bar disconnects during audio cut in movies

Any time I'm watching a movie and there's an audio cut the sound bar will disconnect and then reconnect. Is there any way to avoid this?

For example, if something happens in the middle of a movie, and there's no audio for a few seconds, the sound bar will disconnect. The screen on the sound bar then lights up to say it's searching, and when the audio kicks back in, it takes a second or so to play sound again, so you miss some things.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Is it wireless, and what are your setting?
Old 10-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Is it wireless, and what are your setting?
No, it's wired. What do you mean by settings? I'm using HDMI ARC.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Woodstock Georgia

Check the settings on the sound bar. It might be using some type of power saver if there is no sound. Also when asking a question on a product tell us the brand and model #. Good Luck
Old 10-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
Check the settings on the sound bar. It might be using some type of power saver if there is no sound. Also when asking a question on a product tell us the brand and model #. Good Luck
It's a JBL Bar 2.1. There's no power saver mode. It just seems like if there's a total audio cut, even for as short as one second, it thinks the TV has become disconnected or something and tries to search for the input again.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
It's a JBL Bar 2.1. There's no power saver mode. It just seems like if there's a total audio cut, even for as short as one second, it thinks the TV has become disconnected or something and tries to search for the input again.
Did you check all of your cables to see it they're loose? You might have a loose connection and if not, try a different HDMI cable or whatever type of cable you're using. It could be a bad cable. If you don't have a extra cable, you can go to your nearest electronic or department store and buy a cheap one (as a test) to see if it'll work but if not, take it back and get a refund, or take one from another component and connect it to your soundbar temporarily, and see if it'll work. If that doesn't do the trick, then most definitely it's the soundbar.

Last edited by slimdude; 10-12-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

Quote:
Did you check all of your cables to see it they're loose? You might have a loose connection and if not, try a different HDMI cable or whatever type of cable you're using. It could be a bad cable. If you don't have a extra cable, you can go to your nearest electronic or department store and buy a cheap one (as a test) to see if it'll work but if not, take it back and get a refund, or take one from another component and connect it to your soundbar temporarily, and see if it'll work. If that doesn't do the trick, then most definitely it's the soundbar.
I've tried multiple HDMI cables and it's not the cable.

To clarify, the sound bar works great. It doesn't always cut out. The issue is when there's a theatrical audio cut in a movie, it sort of tricks the sound bar into thinking it's lost connection.

For example: A grenade blows up in a movie, and for effect, the audio completely cuts after the explosion, simulating that the blast was so loud it was deafening. The sound bar doesn't understand that it's just in the movie. It just sees that for that one or two seconds, there's no longer any audio being transmitted, and it searches for a signal.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:45 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
I've tried multiple HDMI cables and it's not the cable.

To clarify, the sound bar works great. It doesn't always cut out. The issue is when there's a theatrical audio cut in a movie, it sort of tricks the sound bar into thinking it's lost connection.

For example: A grenade blows up in a movie, and for effect, the audio completely cuts after the explosion, simulating that the blast was so loud it was deafening. The sound bar doesn't understand that it's just in the movie. It just sees that for that one or two seconds, there's no longer any audio being transmitted, and it searches for a signal.
It's the auto standby. I took a look at the manual online, and your soundbar does have a auto standby mode. If the soundbar doesn't receive a signal after a 10 minute duration, the soundbar automatically goes into standby mode. I don't think there is a way to disable it because of the correspondence from the subwoofer. The sounbar and the subwoofer are integrated and working together. If the subwoofer doesn't received a signal, so doesn't the soundbar because of the wireless system and both components are paired. Here's what the manual state about the auto standby:

8. SYSTEM 1. Auto standby This soundbar automatically switches to standby after 10 minutes of button inactivity and no audio/video play from a connected device.

https://in.jbl.com/on/demandware.sta...al_English.pdf

Last edited by slimdude; 10-13-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:51 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Woodstock Georgia

Maybe try to reset all the settings back to the default?

Sound is strange after sound setting adjustment
• Reset audio setting by press and hold SOUND button on remote
control for 5 seconds
Old 10-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

It’s not happening in ten minute increments or anything though. It might not even happen at all during a movie. Only if that movie has a theatrical audio cut. Like the beginning of 10 Cloverfield Lane for example. When she crashes her car, and it cuts from the crash to a title screen then back to the crash then back to a title screen.

I’m going to test it out tomorrow with that same part of the movie. Except I’ll hit a button on the remote right before it happens, that way there is button activity, and see if anything changes.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
It’s not happening in ten minute increments or anything though. It might not even happen at all during a movie. Only if that movie has a theatrical audio cut. Like the beginning of 10 Cloverfield Lane for example. When she crashes her car, and it cuts from the crash to a title screen then back to the crash then back to a title screen.

I’m going to test it out tomorrow with that same part of the movie. Except I’ll hit a button on the remote right before it happens, that way there is button activity, and see if anything changes.
How long have you had this system, is it still under warranty and able to return it because, it seems like it's malfunctioning. If the problem is not the cables, then you have a defected unit or it's losing a wireless connection. It couldn't be anything else. Personally, I wouldn't have bought a wireless audio system because, they are subjected to these kind of problems, just like any other wireless device. They periodically lose connections for various reasons. There are certain things I would buy wireless is a cellphone, portable Bluetooth speaker, but not my home theater audio system. If would have to be wired.

Last edited by slimdude; 10-13-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

Quote:
How long have you had this system, is it still under warranty and able to return it because, it seems like it's malfunctioning. If the problem is not the cables, then you have a defected unit or it's losing a wireless connection. It couldn't be anything else. Personally, I wouldn't have bought a wireless audio system because, they are subjected to these kind of problems, just like any other wireless device. They periodically lose connections for various reasons. There are certain things I would buy wireless is a cellphone, portable Bluetooth speaker, but not my home theater audio system. If would have to be wired.
It’s not wireless. I said above that it’s using HDMI ARC. It’s not “periodically losing connection”.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iPv3Hejysx0

If you take a look at the video above, and fast forward to about five minutes, you’ll see what I’m talking about. At 5:09 the audio cuts for one second and then comes back and then cuts again at 5:14 for another second. It’s just part of the movie, but my sound bar doesn’t understand that. It just thinks that it lost connection or something because there’s no audio in the movie anymore. After that scene the rest of the movie will play fine and the sound bar won’t cut out again.

It only does it when the movie has a theatrical audio cut.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

hey rus, I watched the video at the timestamps mentioned. perhaps we should use the term "momentarily silent" rather than "cuts out" as to me, the latter suggest something went wrong with the audio rather than it just was a silent scene by design.

I definitely thing it's something with the soundbar. it shouldn't be shutting itself off that quickly as those scenes were seconds long as in just a couple of seconds.

one would think that as some things, like a subwoofer, by design are setup so that if there is no signal after a few minutes, they go into standby. if that is the case with yours, perhaps it's not working properly. or perhaps there is a "on/off" selection bypassing that feature where the soundbar when turned on stays on all the time until it's turned off.

also, is this something new that is happening or has it always been this way for the life of the soundbar?
Old 10-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

also, is that you who posted that question at the JBL Q&A section of their site?

a rep responded about 2hrs ago. suggesting to try a different source to see if it happens with a source other than the one that it has happened on with some regularity.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:09 PM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

on page 8 under item 8 of your user manual it says your soundbar has these two features:

Auto Standby

Auto Wake-Up

I don't believe there is a way to bypass or disable these two settings to be in an "on all the time" condition.

Auto Standby has a 10 minute time span mentioned with it. after no sound for that time limit, it goes into standby.

wake up should occur as soon as an audio signal is given to the soundbar either through the HDMI input, the HDMI ARC input or the Optical input.

have you tried the resetting procedure to put the soundbar into a factory reset/restored condition?
Old 10-14-2019, 02:16 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
hey rus, I watched the video at the timestamps mentioned. perhaps we should use the term "momentarily silent" rather than "cuts out" as to me, the latter suggest something went wrong with the audio rather than it just was a silent scene by design.

I definitely thing it's something with the soundbar. it shouldn't be shutting itself off that quickly as those scenes were seconds long as in just a couple of seconds.

one would think that as some things, like a subwoofer, by design are setup so that if there is no signal after a few minutes, they go into standby. if that is the case with yours, perhaps it's not working properly. or perhaps there is a "on/off" selection bypassing that feature where the soundbar when turned on stays on all the time until it's turned off.

also, is this something new that is happening or has it always been this way for the life of the soundbar?
It doesn’t power off when that happens. The screen on the sound bar just turns on to say it’s searching for an input, then when the sound in the movie comes back, the screen on the sound bar switches back to saying “hdmi arc” as if it has located the sound again. However, it is always delayed by at least one or two seconds. I have tried multiple sources including streaming directly from the TV, LG 4K player, and Xbox One X, and they all do the same thing. I have also tried resetting the sound bar to factory settings. This isn’t something new. The sound bar has been doing this since I purchased it.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:51 AM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

then, i'd say something is wrong with the one you got, or it's a poor design.

someone else posted the same question you did at the JBL site just the other day.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:52 AM   #19

Oct 2014

Quote:
It doesn’t power off when that happens. The screen on the sound bar just turns on to say it’s searching for an input, then when the sound in the movie comes back, the screen on the sound bar switches back to saying “hdmi arc” as if it has located the sound again. However, it is always delayed by at least one or two seconds. I have tried multiple sources including streaming directly from the TV, LG 4K player, and Xbox One X, and they all do the same thing. I have also tried resetting the sound bar to factory settings. This isn’t something new. The sound bar has been doing this since I purchased it.
It sounds to me like the source of your issue is the TV rather than the soundbar. If the soundbar is searching for a signal, that implies that the TV stops sending one during these moments of silence. I don't have any experience using ARC, but it sounds like your TV is momentarily severing the connection immediately during moments of silence. I don't have any suggestions on how to remedy this aside from connecting your devices directly to the soundbar rather than using ARC, which I realize isn't very practical. But you might need to focus your troubleshooting efforts on your TV instead of the soundbar.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:35 AM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
I would have returned the soundbar, and got another brand because, that was red flag. Is there any way you can connect the soundbar direct without using the HDMI Arc? I tried to look at the rear view of your soundbar, to see if there were other inputs that you could use, but it was hard to see it. The only thing that's left that it could be and that's the HDMI Arc connection. I've read about a lot of other people having problems with their A/V equipment when it's being connected to Arc, and have to change the connections to solve the issue.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers