Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Patlabor the Mobile Police: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$48.99

Space Runaway Ideon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99

When They Cry: Complete Season 1-3 Collection (Blu-ray)
$48.99

Land of the Lustrous: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99

My Girlfriend Is Shobitch: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime: Season One Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.99

K-ON!: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$86.69

Log Horizon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$48.99

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.85

Golden Time: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Girls' Last Tour: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 09-24-2019, 11:45 PM   #5781

Jul 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
The FUNimation masters of the Z movies aren't actually bad at all, maybe a bit too dark at times but pretty decent all in all. Selecta Visión used those Masters and they feature the original Japanese credits so that's an excellent combination.
I prefer the look of Toei's masters, Funi's look too saturated for my taste
Funi

Toei
Thanks given by:
El3mental (09-24-2019), Nitroboy (09-25-2019), ps3bd_owner (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #5782
Expert Member

Jul 2018

What source is the the grainy screen on the bottom? Can't be the Toei BD as that's 1.85 and smeared to death. Is this from a HDTV rip of some sort?
Old 09-25-2019, 01:32 AM   #5783
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBlackKnight View Post
What source is the the grainy screen on the bottom? Can't be the Toei BD as that's 1.85 and smeared to death. Is this from a HDTV rip of some sort?
It's from Japanese Amazon Prime.

Oh, and if you actually looked at the resolution it is 1.85:1 but with the bars cut off.
Thanks given by:
mikezilla2 (09-25-2019), Nitroboy (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #5784
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by javidial View Post
I have those dvds as well, and you're right. But those releases on DVD has nothing to do with this new bluray. The DVDs were converted from 23.976 to 25 fps, the source material for those DVDs were old SD videos done a while ago. And true, they don't look or sound as good as they should, specially the audio in Spanish. In this Bluray edition, they are scanning each frame, progressive and I assume they'll keep the original frame rate (24fps or 23.976 I don't know). They won't be re-using the old Spanish filtered audio (hallelujah).

My point is that instead of assuming the worst, why don't you wait to see what they do and then we all criticize Selecta for whatever they do wrong. I'm sure the whole world will be analyzing every frame of this release to see whats wrong with it. Even me I think something will come out wrong, but I don't want to spend my time spreading false stipulations based on what I think and not what I know. I'm sure you're just excited about the release and worried that they'll do a bad job.

Overall I can't wait to see how a new scan in HD / progressive version of Dragon Ball looks like.
You didn't answer why they had the grain removed, just that it's going to be on Blu-ray. Saint Seiya and Captain Tsubasa could have looked a lot better on their releases if they had the grain be intact.

ADV Films release (cancelled) of Saint Seiya looks way better than Selecta Visión, know why? The grain.
Thanks given by:
mikezilla2 (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #5785

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBlackKnight View Post
Actually imo Movie 8 isn't that badly DNRed.

Last edited by Gumi; 09-25-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #5786
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumi View Post
Actually imo Movie 8 isn't that badly DNRed.
Yeah. The Toei BDs have DNR applied to them that wasn’t on the Amazon rips, but it’s nowhere near the worst I’ve seen... ignoring Movie 5. That is horrible.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #5787

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
Yeah. The Toei BDs have DNR applied to them that wasn’t on the Amazon rips, but it’s nowhere near the worst I’ve seen... ignoring Movie 5. That is horrible.
Yeah 5 was really the odd one out, literally non of them got that bad.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #5788
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerman29 View Post
I prefer the look of Toei's masters, Funi's look too saturated for my taste
Funi

Toei
Agreed. FUNimation Movie BDs are kind of a mixed bag but overall quite decent, imo.

The Selecta Visión BD release used FUNimation's masters and the Japanese audio was from the Dragon Box, so it's actually quite good in its own way.

I just hope we get something better than the awful 30th FUNi Z remaster on Blu-ray later.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:59 PM   #5789
Power Member

Apr 2011

We've not seen an update on the figure of the U.S. 30th Collector's Edition Blu-ray set but this has shown up online:

[Show spoiler]

The U.K. 30th Collector's Edition Blu-ray set apparently comes with a different figure but not a fan of either.

[Show spoiler]

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z in my opinion came with a much better looking statue than either of these above.

[Show spoiler]
Thanks given by:
different (09-30-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #5790
Power Member

Apr 2011

Selecta Visión is supposedly working on releasing DB Movies 1-4 on Blu-ray, as posted by Sanchez but he didn't include a source so take that with a grain of salt. I personally don't trust him too much as he made some claims without showing proof and used fake screenshots previously.

https://twitter.com/MrKaytos/status/...068206592?s=20

Safe to say he likes getting clout on Twitter.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:58 PM   #5791
Power Member

Apr 2011

There's only 55 days till Dragon Ball - Box 1 on Blu-ray is out and we've not seen a single screen of how good or bad it actually looks like. Something is really off and Selecta Visión is just delaying the inevitable.

Take a look at this screenshot below, the before in my opinion looks much better than the Selecta Visión "remaster".

Old 10-03-2019, 01:50 AM   #5792
Special Member

Apr 2013

Quote:
There's only 55 days till Dragon Ball - Box 1 on Blu-ray is out and we've not seen a single screen of how good or bad it actually looks like. Something is really off and Selecta Visión is just delaying the inevitable.

Take a look at this screenshot below, the before in my opinion looks much better than the Selecta Visión "remaster".

That screen shot looks like Goku jr. from DBGT?
Old 10-03-2019, 02:39 AM   #5793

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Tajomaru View Post
That screen shot looks like Goku jr. from DBGT?
It is
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (10-03-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #5794
Power Member

Apr 2011

Er, Dragon Ball - Box 2 on Blu-ray by Selecta Visión is up for pre-order on Amazon Spain but.. no screenshots whatsoever.

Dragon Ball - Box 2 (Blu-ray)
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07YTDF411

Dragon Ball - The Complete Series (DVD)
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07YTD3MMK

Dragon Ball Z - The Complete Series (DVD)
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07YTDDKK3

If the Dragon Ball remaster on Blu-ray is garbage, then the only good thing is the Valencian dub for the fans and the lossless audio in Castillan/Catalan/Galego but it's not really true lossless, anyway.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #5795

Aug 2019
Utah

Quote:

I like the "AFTER" remaster, the skin tone isn't washed out. I don't care that it doesn't have film grain either. Film grain isn't a deal breaker for me like it is with others on this forum.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #5796
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Collector FX View Post
I like the "AFTER" remaster, the skin tone isn't washed out. I don't care that it doesn't have film grain either. Film grain isn't a deal breaker for me like it is with others on this forum.
You’re in the minority, then. Lacking grain is a deal breaker, from an objective standpoint, but you do you.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #5797
Power Member

Apr 2011

It looks like FUNimation U.K. have failed to sell the 750 copies they have as it's still available. Not surprised, the remaster looks awful.

https://dbz30.funimation.com/

The discs say Region A/B so FUNimation either made more copies than they anticipated or printed more for the U.K.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #5798

Aug 2019
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
You’re in the minority, then. Lacking grain is a deal breaker, from an objective standpoint, but you do you.
Minority in this thread yeah, but not in general. Wanting film grain in footage is actually subjective, not objective as it's personal taste/preference. The subject in question has to be rooted in fact for it to be an objective observation.

I only bring this up because wanting film grain is most definitely NOT an objective stand point, it's purely subjective based on your, as a viewers preference.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:21 AM   #5799
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Minority in this thread yeah, but not in general. Wanting film grain in footage is actually subjective, not objective as it's personal taste/preference. The subject in question has to be rooted in fact for it to be an objective observation.

I only bring this up because wanting film grain is most definitely NOT an objective stand point, it's purely subjective based on your, as a viewers preference.
Grain=detail. FACT. Remove it completely and you remove detail. Unless you spend an insane amount of time going frame by frame to de-grain and make sure no detail is lost, which is not the case, here, objectively you are losing texture and detail from the image that was originally there.

Unless you can prove to me that keeping film grain is subjective, and by that, I mean from legitimate sources- typically those who work in film restoration- then you, sir, are incorrect. There are many, many experts on the topic who have explained how retaining film grain is essential to keeping a natural and authentic image.
Thanks given by:
Cyberman1138 (10-10-2019), El3mental (10-10-2019), GenPion (10-10-2019), Naiera (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 12:46 AM   #5800
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:

Thanks given by:
Cyberman1138 (10-10-2019), ghornett (10-10-2019), Gumi (10-10-2019), professorwho (10-10-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime