Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Control (PS4)
$44.99

Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PS4)
$39.99

F1 2019 (PS4)
$44.99

Air Missions: HIND (PS4)
$19.97

Borderlands (PS4)
$15.99
4 hrs ago
Baldar's Gate, Baldar's Gate II (PS4)
$41.88

The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA Tour (PS4)
$15.73

Monster Hunter World: Iceborn (PS4)
$63.38
1 hr ago
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
$39.99

Rage 2 (PS4)
$39.99
4 hrs ago
Battlefield V (PS4)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Fallout 76 (PS4)
$16.00
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for PS5
400-499 69 66.99%
500-599 26 25.24%
600-699 4 3.88%
700+ 4 3.88%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #2641
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
You can already register interest at GAME UK. Im gonna skip the launch night lines and order online this time I think.
Funny, because I ordered my PS3 & PS4 consoles online, and while they both arrived on launch day, it wasn't until very late in the afternoon! This time I'm going to go for a shop; Game, PC World, Smyths Toys, etc.

Not fussed about midnight launch, but at least I can pick it up in the morning and enjoy the day setting it up and playing games, rather than waiting for a knock at the door.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #2642
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
The fact ray tracing is being done with hardware rather than software is huge.
With that said, I don't see them doing real-time ray tracing larger than 1080p at 30 frames per second.
I don't really think RTRT works in such a linear way to only be limited to 1080p @ 30fps. Instead it will all depend on multiple factors of how a dev needs it to run on their particular titles from shadows, light rays etc. and the extent to which it is used. In the PC realm, we csn see various RTRT settings and results. So on PS5 or Scarlett i'd expect developers are going to be using a combination of old school tricks with RTRT to achieve some pretty awesome results. The best and efficient use of RTRT will be found just as the best graphics are in the end of the life cycle before PS6 does the proper version of what RTRT should be in games i reckon.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #2643

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkromanoff View Post
would it be too much to ask sony to take trade ins of sony uhd players to go towards the ps5? :d won't need my player once i have the ps5. Then i can get a region free blu-ray player and be done!

Come to think of it, if the ps4 disc b/c is reliable, i won't have need for my ps4 slim either.
lol
Old 10-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #2644
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
On my sofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridge View Post
Funny, because I ordered my PS3 & PS4 consoles online, and while they both arrived on launch day, it wasn't until very late in the afternoon! This time I'm going to go for a shop; Game, PC World, Smyths Toys, etc.

Not fussed about midnight launch, but at least I can pick it up in the morning and enjoy the day setting it up and playing games, rather than waiting for a knock at the door.
I'm thinking the same thing. Book the day, go to store and grab it....as long as I can reserve a console that is
Old 10-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #2645

Apr 2017
Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
I wonder if BC will be supported for PS4 Controllers.

The guy basically said itís a DS4 like Controller with a USB-C connector. They could probably do it but we wonít get the haptic.
I can actually see it happening this time around, but you'd be losing features like their new "Siri/Alexa" and like you said with the haptic. Would be nice to have the option though since I stopped buying second controllers because everything is online multiplayer these days. However, I love fighting games and my friends like to try and beat me so it'd be nice for those games. lol
Old 10-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #2646
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagamura View Post
I can actually see it happening this time around, but you'd be losing features like their new "Siri/Alexa" and like you said with the haptic. Would be nice to have the option though since I stopped buying second controllers because everything is online multiplayer these days. However, I love fighting games and my friends like to try and beat me so it'd be nice for those games. lol
I remember PS2 allowing the PS1 analogue controllers although i could be mistaken. Technically i assume there's no reason why the hardware of DS4 wouldn't work if Sony could simply programme in the haptic feedback and AI features to be disabled when it detects a DS4 is connected. That would mean i could transfer over some of my brand new DS4s that i was looking to use in the event my DS4 packed up and i wasn't able to replace a DS5 until it was on sale.

To me, i'm really curious to see what devs like R* will do with the GTA series considering a GTA6 release exclusively next gen is pretty much the only format besides PC it would launch in. That and perhaps a AAA exclusive set in a massive open world.

I don't think many people realise how much of a performance difference there will be in PC to console gaming next gen with every single console packed with a custom SSD and all exclusives set to use that. It's gonna be interesting to see.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:18 PM   #2647
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

PC will still be top dog & anything Sony & MS does with games will only be assets to PC players when they get ports.

Instead of looking at it from a competitive aspect, next gen is a win win for all involved. Except you Nintendo.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:17 AM   #2648
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
PC will still be top dog & anything Sony & MS does with games will only be assets to PC players when they get ports.

Instead of looking at it from a competitive aspect, next gen is a win win for all involved. Except you Nintendo.
I'm not so sure tbh. Unless the majority of PCs get access of hardware similar to these custom SSDs that consoles seem to be getting next gen, i feel like developers will be using tricks, particularly in exclusives that might not be so easy to port over to PC despite how powerful the hardware is. After all, that's the advantage of a closed system you wring every ounce of power from and then over time increase the efficiency of that power to even greater results.

So even though i agree PC is gonna have more powerful hardware over the next gen consoles, in terms of what consoles can pull off, i don't see the majority of PC players getting that level of load times and some of the extra little things even in ports.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:57 AM   #2649
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
I'm not so sure tbh. Unless the majority of PCs get access of hardware similar to these custom SSDs that consoles seem to be getting next gen, i feel like developers will be using tricks, particularly in exclusives that might not be so easy to port over to PC despite how powerful the hardware is. After all, that's the advantage of a closed system you wring every ounce of power from and then over time increase the efficiency of that power to even greater results.

So even though i agree PC is gonna have more powerful hardware over the next gen consoles, in terms of what consoles can pull off, i don't see the majority of PC players getting that level of load times and some of the extra little things even in ports.
Raw power, yeah PC will always be above. Might need to upgrade SSD & probably graphic cards but that’s nothing knew to PC purists.

Switching gears a bit, I wonder what exact options will we have with SSD storage? It’s unlikely USB will be supported for External. So we might need SSD Externals for more memory & Im sure Sony isn’t giving us anything more that 1TB to work with. One potential plus, is games (the way development is being described) may end up being 75GB instead of 120-150 range.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #2650
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Quote:

The big difference is a super-powerful PC isn't going to cost £500.
Thanks given by:
Trekkie313 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #2651
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
The big difference is a super-powerful PC isn't going to cost £500.
We can thank economies of scale and loss making tactics lol.

I still think people will be really surprised by how different the console experience will be next gen compared to PS4. The almost instant load times and the worlds that can be created in exclusives will be far above and anything PS4 could do just via the SSD tech imo.

Having all that as a single standard set up in a closed console system means PC imo won't get the same exclusive experiences you can on consoles finally showing why consoles still have a place.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #2652
Power Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkRomanoff View Post
Would it be too much to ask Sony to take trade ins of Sony UHD players to go towards the PS5? Won't need my player once I have the PS5. Then I can get a region free blu-ray player and be done!

Come to think of it, if the PS4 disc B/C is reliable, I won't have need for my PS4 slim either.
Yeah... thatís not how consumerism works. Sell them on eBay. You knew when you bought that UHD player one day the PS5 would be coming. Thatís why I havenít bought a UHD player yet.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #2653
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
That's true but who wants a 2,000.00 virgin box?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #2654
Expert Member

Sep 2018
You don't need to know where I live...

Quote:
Raw power, yeah PC will always be above. Might need to upgrade SSD & probably graphic cards but thatís nothing knew to PC purists.
BINGO! No one would dispute that.

If there is the most powerful PC in the world for free right beside PS5 and I'll still take PS5.

I might take the power PC, sell it, then get XB too.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #2655
Special Member

Aug 2015

Quote:
I find it rather coincidental that this news is breaking when Sony released a massive update to the PS4.

No, 7.00 wasnít just a few features.

The entire UI has been updated, games are running at higher FPS & Resolution with increased detail. Color & Text & Sharpness all enhanced for not just games but everything on a 4K Display.
Where do you see this? I couldn't find any articles mentioning these improvements. The UI looks the same to me.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:06 AM   #2656
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
Where do you see this? I couldn't find any articles mentioning these improvements. The UI looks the same to me.
Ughhh.

I went into detail & then lost what I typed.

Anyway, yes there are minor improvements. At first they looked significantly better.

The UI got a fresh coat of paint.
One 1080p game I play now looks 1440p checkerboard upscale with higher consistency of FPS.
Applications from YouTube & Sony changed text sharpness & enhanced Font

I tested other games but came across minor enhancements that realistically ainít worth mentioning but Iíll share one.

On the hero selection screen in SW BF2, if you select Chewbacca & rotate the camera while still in the selection screen, on PlayStation Pro, you get frame pacing stutter as you are panning. After update that is fixed. Not EAís update. Itís worth noting on Xbox One X, this never was an issue.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:09 AM   #2657
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
the Anals of Uranus

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019...-holiday-2020/

Shipping for Holiday 2020
Old 10-11-2019, 03:16 AM   #2658

Sep 2008

Do UHD players work with 1080P tv sets? I want a PS5, but I don't want to have to get a new tv for it.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:20 AM   #2659
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
Do UHD players work with 1080P tv sets? I want a PS5, but I don't want to have to get a new tv for it.
Yes, they can detect if the TV is not 4K compatible and downscale accordingly. Games already do this.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #2660

Jun 2011
Wisconsin

I want to play Gran Turismo Sport 2 on PS5. Work Friends say they play Xbox One/Two, because it's American brand ~ with a lot less games and bricking issues! They say they don't play Japanese games, but then see them with Pokemon and is a counter-diction.

Last edited by renegadeviking; 10-13-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4