Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Prometheus 4K (Blu-ray)
£8.72
6 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Far From Home 3D (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£36.42
6 hrs ago
Cowboy Bebop: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£19.69

Terminator: Genisys 4K (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
£5.48
6 hrs ago
Napoleon (Blu-ray)
£17.99
15 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel (Blu-ray)
£10.00

The Exorcist III (Blu-ray)
£15.98

Independence Day 4K (Blu-ray)
£11.16
6 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in China Trilogy (Blu-ray)
£25.09

Alien³ (Blu-ray)
£2.63
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 10-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #801
Special Member

Jun 2012
In a movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly2193 View Post
I’ve seen one comment saying the ‘fade to white’ version of Lady Vengeance is the one to watch rather than the Theatrical.

Is this a general consensus?

Having never seen the film, I of course have no idea what these two mean but want my first watch to be the best one.
As I've seen the movie more than a dozen times and it's in my top 5 list of all times, I'll quote what I said earlier on in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguejp

I love both, but my go-to version is now the color version. The fade to black and white may have more of an artistic flavour to it, but the gruesomeness of the last chapters really comes to bloom with the color version.

You could compare it with the Crazy 88 sequence in Kill Bill; the black and white looks good, but that scene has an enormous impact on the Japanese DVD in full blown color.*

That being said, if you've never seen Lady Vengeance (I know you have), I would recommend seeing the fade to black and white version first. The color version then has even more impact.
Thanks given by:
johnlennon696 (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #802

Sep 2012

Does anyone know how many copies of the LE arrow produced for this? I would expect it somewhere between 3000 and 10000 based on what based on what the various boutique companies typically do for an LE, but I don't think Arrow has ever been too transparent on this. I'm also wondering how many of these were initially snatched up by the scalpers. Last night I saw about 10 copies on ebay going for $80-100 USD as well as some on Amazon UK marketplace. I wouldn't be surprised if 10% of the run went that way which is also infuriating. Given the anticipated demand for this release and all of the confusion and delays as it went from a 3 disc release to a 4 I'm sure the scalpers could smell the blood in the water. Its easy money for them.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #803
Expert Member

Jun 2018
West Midlands, UK

Yeah, the scalpers have been all over this on Ebay since Monday unfortunately.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #804
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlennon696 View Post
Yeah, the scalpers have been all over this on Ebay since Monday unfortunately.
I hope that in a few days/weeks it will die down and the scalpers will sit on unsold copies, similar to Bayonetta 2 Limited Edition for Wii U.

Back then Nintendo made way too many copies, only scalpers made it so it sold out everywhere within no time. End-result was almost no one buying it at mark up, which meant tons of copies offered for original price for months/years.

I remember pre-ordering it at zavvi and it took ages for zavvi to sell out.
It's a masterpiece / masterpieces, but it's Korean movies. There are simply not that many fans of it.

It's disgusting. I bet a few scalpers bought multiple copies from the outlet and only missed that Europe-outlet store. Some months ago I got another Limited Edition from there (everyone else was sold out).
Old 10-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #805

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimidini View Post
I hope that in a few days/weeks it will die down and the scalpers will sit on unsold copies, similar to Bayonetta 2 Limited Edition for Wii U.

Back then Nintendo made way too many copies, only scalpers made it so it sold out everywhere within no time. End-result was almost no one buying it at mark up, which meant tons of copies offered for original price for months/years.

It's a masterpiece / masterpieces, but it's Korean movies. There are simply not that many fans of it.

It's disgusting. I bet a few scalpers bought multiple copies from the outlet and only missed that Europe-outlet store. Some months ago I got another Limited Edition from there (everyone else was sold out).
It would be ironic if the reason why it sold out so quickly was b/c the scalpers corned the market. Maybe that would teach them a lesson. Hopefully the fact that Arrow has the std edition coming will also satisfy some of the demand (particularly since many people seem to prefer its packaging) and that will make it a bit easier to get the LE copies when they come back around.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #806
Special Member

Apr 2015

I may have a spare for sale in a couple of weeks. Don’t want to say much more at the present time, but I’m not a scalper. If it comes through, I’ll be looking to pass my spare along at cost plus P&P to a worthy forum member who has been unlucky with their own preorder.
Thanks given by:
jimidini (10-09-2019), johnlennon696 (10-09-2019), reputation (10-09-2019), RoxyRoads (10-09-2019), skippy3elf (10-09-2019), Spire (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #807

Mar 2019
Toledo, OH
Default A question about amazon uk shipping

How long does it usually take for orders from amazon uk to arrive using standard shipping? Does standard shipping include tracking? Amazon's tracking has been stuck at "Departed Amazon Facility" since it shipped.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #808

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRoads View Post
How long does it usually take for orders from amazon uk to arrive using standard shipping? Does standard shipping include tracking? Amazon's tracking has been stuck at "Departed Amazon Facility" since it shipped.
Depends where its going to. I've had packages reach me in the US in less than a week. But things can also get held up in customs (on either side).
Old 10-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #809
Expert Member

Aug 2011

Yeah, another failed Base preorder here. Interesting how unpredictable the popularity of some Arrow titles are. I feel like the last one I remember having trouble ordering was Deep Red (but eventually they did re-release that).
Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #810

Aug 2019

Quote:

247,000 people have rated it 9 or 10 on IMDB.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #811

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Yeah, another failed Base preorder here. Interesting how unpredictable the popularity of some Arrow titles are. I feel like the last one I remember having trouble ordering was Deep Red (but eventually they did re-release that).
This one was definitely compounded by all the changes and delays leading up to the original release date. It generated a lot of extra anxiety among collectors. If people think there is a chance they won't be able to get something - it makes them want it even more. Those of us who remember the Django debacle (where they initially released it and then had to shut it down due to licensing issues) were also concerned that this could be a repeat. So I think that also caused people to jump on it as soon as possible. Personally I think that Arrow could do a better job of determining licensing issues *before* they announce things. Its happened a couple of times now.

Last edited by skippy3elf; 10-09-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #812
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboi Miggs View Post
247,000 people have rated it 9 or 10 on IMDB.
I was quite obviously talking about fans, who would spend quite a bit of money on some Limited Edition. More and more people do not even bother with physical discs anymore, but instead have Netflix and do not even care about owning something anymore.

Just because someone enjoyed something doesn't mean that this someone would spend quite a bit on some Limited Edition. Other Limited Editions for OldBoy were already made. Most of the time at least somewhat English friendly, and I can't recall any of these to sell out within no time (I own almost all of them myself).

The German Ultimate Edition, which is even English friendly is still available on Amazon, for 35 EUR, and that has been the case for MONTHS and I consider the overall packaging of that one to be better than the Arrow LE.

Most people do not care about these and there is even a non-LE UK release that is cheaper to get and let's pretend so many people waited for exactly this collector's edition, then why hasn't it sold out within no time weeks/months before release.

I remember the Fright Night steelbook selling out on Zavvi even before it was officially launched, within literally 30 minutes. Fright Night had a cumulative WW Gross of $25 million, and that's 1985 dollars.

In US OldBoy flopped commercially, which isn't surprising at all. That's why all these (most of the time horrible) American remakes exist.
As sad as that is.
Tons of people aren't interested in foreign movies, especially when in the end they have to read subtitles.
Again, as sad as that is.

Gross USA: $707,481
Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $14,999,673

15 million is of course great ...for an Asian movie...

Let's look at Snowpiercer (Le Transperceneige), another movie that I consider a masterpiece (except for some of the CGI), also made by a Korean director, but it has "western star power", so to speak and most of the original audio is English instead of Korean.

Opening Weekend USA: $171,187, 29 June 2014
Gross USA: $4,563,650
Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $86,758,912

Did far far far better. And that one wasn't even released in the UK on Blu-ray at all, at least as far as I see.

Or "Let The Right One In" (Låt den rätte komma in)
Also a masterpiece in my opinion, that also got a mediocre American remake (I'm trying to be nice here, in my opinion it was horrible, just like the OldBoy remake).

Gross USA: $2,122,065
Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $11,227,336

A bit less than OldBoy, but overall comparable to OldBoy.

If Arrow will ever bother with these (and I hope they will), I would highly doubt that they would sell out like crazy unless scalpers were involved.

But we will see about that.
I will keep a look on ebay.

Last edited by jimidini; 10-09-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #813
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Inverness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hek_qwerr View Post
well arrow emailed me back and said they can’t replace my damaged box.i guess they don’t believe in making extra copies for damaged products.so if anyone wants to sell their sets or just outterbox im willing to buy it
Pmed
Old 10-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #814
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Received my copy from Zavvi US today...

Not sure if I'll be able to dig into the discs until next month, but man... what a beautiful package. Very sorry to hear about the people who didn't get their orders fulfilled.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:25 PM   #815

Jan 2015
-
-
-

Quote:
I dunno, Oldboy is pretty huge. Even casual movie fans are familiar with it. Look how many ratings it has on imdb, almost as much as Endgame.

Couple that with the fact that a lot of us are importing this set into the US.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #816

Jan 2011
Illinoise

Quote:
I was quite obviously talking about fans, who would spend quite a bit of money on some Limited Edition. More and more people do not even bother with physical discs anymore, but instead have Netflix and do not even care about owning something anymore.

Just because someone enjoyed something doesn't mean that this someone would spend quite a bit on some Limited Edition. Other Limited Editions for OldBoy were already made. Most of the time at least somewhat English friendly, and I can't recall any of these to sell out within no time (I own almost all of them myself).

The German Ultimate Edition, which is even English friendly is still available on Amazon, for 35 EUR, and that has been the case for MONTHS and I consider the overall packaging of that one to be better than the Arrow LE.

Most people do not care about these and there is even a non-LE UK release that is cheaper to get and let's pretend so many people waited for exactly this collector's edition, then why hasn't it sold out within no time weeks/months before release.

I remember the Fright Night steelbook selling out on Zavvi even before it was officially launched, within literally 30 minutes. Fright Night had a cumulative WW Gross of $25 million, and that's 1985 dollars.

Or "Let The Right One In" (Låt den rätte komma in)
Also a masterpiece in my opinion, that also got a mediocre American remake (I'm trying to be nice here, in my opinion it was horrible, just like the OldBoy remake).

Gross USA: $2,122,065
Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $11,227,336

A bit less than OldBoy, but overall comparable to OldBoy.

If Arrow will ever bother with these (and I hope they will), I would highly doubt that they would sell out like crazy unless scalpers were involved.

But we will see about that.
I will keep a look on ebay.
I get what you're saying here, but I think you're underestimating how huge Oldboy is. It is, along with perhaps Donnie Darko, the major cult film of its time. Couple that with the fact that it's released as an Arrow Limited Edition - far and away the premium label for collectors right now - and ONLY a UK release, and it's obvious why it sold out so fast. I've noticed that for any item worthy of a Limited Edition that only gets released on one side of the pond, you'd better get your order in fast because they're going out of print in heartbeat. That's a combination of the popularity of the film plus the label plus the truly limited stock. It makes sense why this sold out so fast.

I also think Let the Right One in would sell out immediately in Limited Edition form if only released in the UK. (The remake is also really good, imo.)
Old 10-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #817
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2015
Rhondda United kingdom
South Korea

I'm relieved to say HMV came through for me on the Limited Edition set.

Last edited by Si Parallel Universe; 10-10-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Thanks given by:
jimidini (10-10-2019), johnlennon696 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #818
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateReg View Post
I get what you're saying here, but I think you're underestimating how huge Oldboy is. It is, along with perhaps Donnie Darko, the major cult film of its time.
https://rottentomatoes.com/m/donnie_darko
User Ratings: 30,984,568

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oldboy
User Ratings: 133,193

OldBoy is probably the best known Korean movie and I love it dearly, but come on.

Quote:
That's a combination of the popularity of the film plus the label plus the truly limited stock.
The Ultimate Edition of OldBoy released in Germany is also truly limited, and as I said already English friendly. It's down to 35 EUR for months now. Way better packaging than the Arrow set.

And you know Arrow releases are not individually numbered.
This Ultimate Edition is. 3000 copies only. Released Q3 / 2017! Still not sold out. I'm actually waiting for another price drop to get a 2nd copy.

In comparison:
The German Deluxe Editions of "The Thing" sold out in no time, especially because quite a few Americans imported it.
Same goes for the German Psycho Legacy Collection.
Both of these are also English friendly.

It's a Korean movie.
Watching such movies is not mainstream.
But sure, if someone has watched a Korean movie, then it's likely that (s)he watched OldBoy.
I personally even told a friend of mine, who has no problems watching foreign movies, and he didn't know about it. Afterwards he told me, that he liked it, his wife didn't.

The German set even includes THE SOUNDTRACK of the movie, which typically goes for far more than 35 EUR. But people simply are not interested enough to buy it up.

Quote:
It makes sense why this sold out so fast.
In comparison to Fright Night, it didn't.
As I said - let's see how many turn up on Amazon + ebay in the next few weeks/months. To me it all looks like tons of scalpers.

Last edited by jimidini; 10-10-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #819

Feb 2017
Wales

It's in my top 20 movies of all time. But then so are another few Korean movies, as they have some of the best cinema in the world.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #820

Jan 2011
Illinoise

Quote:
https://rottentomatoes.com/m/donnie_darko
User Ratings: 30,984,568

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oldboy
User Ratings: 133,193

OldBoy is probably the best known Korean movie and I love it dearly, but come on.

The Ultimate Edition of OldBoy released in Germany is also truly limited, and as I said already English friendly. It's down to 35 EUR for months now. Way better packaging than the Arrow set.

And you know Arrow releases are not individually numbered.
This Ultimate Edition is. 3000 copies only. Released Q3 / 2017! Still not sold out. I'm actually waiting for another price drop to get a 2nd copy.

In comparison:
The German Deluxe Editions of "The Thing" sold out in no time, especially because quite a few Americans imported it.
Same goes for the German Psycho Legacy Collection.
Both of these are also English friendly.

It's a Korean movie.
Watching such movies is not mainstream.
But sure, if someone has watched a Korean movie, then it's likely that (s)he watched OldBoy.
I personally even told a friend of mine, who has no problems watching foreign movies, and he didn't know about it. Afterwards he told me, that he liked it, his wife didn't.

The German set even includes THE SOUNDTRACK of the movie, which typically goes for far more than 35 EUR. But people simply are not interested enough to buy it up.
What you're saying doesn't contradict what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that it's partially the film and partially the label. Arrow Limited Editions sell. Plenty of collectors out there, which is why they pay scalper prices. If you put a semi-popular film on Arrow Limited, it will sell.

And yes, Oldboy is that popular for a cult film, and that RT user score doesn't change my mind. On IMDB, the gap is much closer, for example. The point is that the film buffs who are collecting Arrow know Oldboy. And you can also make an argument that if it was scalpers who snatched these up so fast, they did so because they knew that Oldboy is a popular title. That's why I pre-ordered instantly, anyway.

Last edited by LateReg; 10-10-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland