Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Batman Beyond (Blu-ray)
$69.96

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$10.39

The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
2 hrs ago
Paganini Horror (Blu-ray)
$23.49
17 hrs ago
Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 10-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #18141
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Good plan!
Canít wait to see the Joker in 4K. It looked great at my viewing.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #18142
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Canít wait to see the Joker in 4K. It looked great at my viewing.
I am looking forward to buying that title, too.

I do have HBO's Chernobyl arriving today; I have heard lots of good things about this mini series.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #18143
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I am looking forward to buying that title, too.

I do have HBO's Chernobyl arriving today; I have heard lots of good things about this mini series.
Mine arrived last week. Going to watch it soon. I avoided watching it on cable because I knew it was due for release on disc.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #18144
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Mine arrived last week. Going to watch it soon. I avoided watching it on cable because I knew it was due for release on disc.
I have read that some of our forum members watched all 5+ hours of it in a single session. I will probably be one of them.

I am watching at least two movies per night now that I have this huge TV. I watched a DVD a couple of nights ago on the new TV and it looked better than I expected considering the screen size, but the movie itself was a turkey. I watched Speed 2 for the first time and it was laughably bad. A tragic waste of Willem Dafoe's talents.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #18145
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I have read that some of our forum members watched all 5+ hours of it in a single session. I will probably be one of them.

I am watching at least two movies per night now that I have this huge TV. I watched a DVD a couple of nights ago on the new TV and it looked better than I expected considering the screen size, but the movie itself was a turkey. I watched Speed 2 for the first time and it was laughably bad.
Yeah, I loved the first one but like you say, the sequel was a turkey.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #18146
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
With yesterdayís news (PS5) , the ability to enjoy discs is secured for a few good years.
Never owned any type of gaming hardware till one of my current computer builds (Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro). No games on it but do have ATSC/QAM tuner card and pro DVB-S2 tuner card in it.

I will look seriously at the PS5 specs when it is released to see if it is a serious streamer and media player.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #18147
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Never owned any type of gaming hardware till one of my current computer builds (Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro). No games on it but do have ATSC/QAM tuner card and pro DVB-S2 tuner card in it.

I will look seriously at the PS5 specs when it is released to see if it is a serious streamer and media player.
Itís never too late Wendell. There are some cracking games out there.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #18148
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
It’s never too late Wendell. There are some cracking games out there.
You really should not be advising people to use crack.

Last edited by Vilya; 10-09-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #18149
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Looks like Netflix will disappear from most of the older Roku players, story here. Apparently Hulu has already disappeared from most Roku players. I had a similar situation with Amazon Prime and my LG players.

On the flip side all my disc media, some > 35 years old, play just fine on my all my disc players.
If they'd just stuck to their UI from 2014-2016 this wouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #18150
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
You really should not be advising people to use crack.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:27 PM   #18151
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Don't forget his friend does not watch disc and only watches Netflix. Between his friend that does not watch disc and he does not see anyone buying disc at Walmart must mean the end of the disc era. He must have a lot of trouble understanding the multi billion in sales disc do every year worldwide. Wonder if I should try to teach him scientific notation in math? I sometimes feel sorry for the guy, he lives in such a very small world.
Quote:
I still remember when he posted back in January of this year that "average" people had never heard of Netflix!

"The Average Person barely knows about Amazon and Netflix, let along all the other Streaming Providers."
Yes that Dear Friend in Portland pasted away, but yes he mostly watched Netflix. Instead of "Average People" I should have said the people I randomly talk too. You guys like to jump all over this stuff, putting out Fires! All you guys have to look at is the Disc Sales Thread, it's in a bad Tail Spin!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:54 PM   #18152
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Yes that Dear Friend in Portland pasted away, but yes he mostly watched Netflix. Instead of "Average People" I should have said the people I randomly talk too. You guys like to jump all over this stuff, putting out Fires! All you guys have to look at is the Disc Sales Thread, it's in a bad Tail Spin!
I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

As for "looking at the disc sales thread", I do that out of habit and nothing I see there alarms me. If you are trying to upset those of that buy discs, you will have to try a lot harder. Weekly snapshots are just that; some weeks are up, some are down. It is the quarterly and annual sales results that matter.

We are getting more titles released on disc each year, not less, and when you remove dvd sales from the equation the sales numbers for blu-ray are down modestly while 4K discs are seeing double digit growth. Blu-ray and 4K disc sales combined are often higher than dvd sales in any given week.

The thought of you approaching people randomly and accosting them is frightening. It probably explains why you never see anyone at Walmart when you go shopping. People probably flee from you on sight! "Run! its that crazy old fart who keeps raving about streaming"

Last edited by Vilya; 10-10-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:55 PM   #18153
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Do you have stats for Digital HD sell through his year? Itís just things have gone very quiet. I say digital HD is dying a slow death and disc will outlast it. (Obviously subscription streaming is huge though) but that is not a like for like comparison as we are talking about films here.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:09 AM   #18154
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Do you have stats for Digital HD sell through his year? It’s just things have gone very quiet. I say digital HD is dying a slow death and disc will outlast it. (Obviously subscription streaming is huge though) but that is not a like for like comparison as we are talking about films here.
Digital purchases, or electronic sell thru, are up just 3.3% as of the first half of 2019. 3.3% growth is pretty lackluster and it does not suggest that there is all that much enthusiasm for digital purchases.

https://www.degonline.org/portfolio_...inment-report/

Q3 results should be published soon in that there "digital sales thread" that doofus is trying to scare everyone with.

Last edited by Vilya; 10-10-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 12:33 AM   #18155
Expert Member

Dec 2014
Dublin, Ireland

I just read the good news about the PS5 having the UHD drive in 2020. I am very happy to hear about it.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:38 AM   #18156
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinbluray108 View Post
I just read the good news about the PS5 having the UHD drive in 2020. I am very happy to hear about it.
Hanging on to the success of a Gaming Console for the Holidays of 2020 is a year away. That is a long time in Tech Technology, many things could change by then. 4K UHD will be the last Physical Media, and Panasonic and the other remaining Manufacturers haven't announced any new models. We will have to see what 2020 brings to the Table!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #18157
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Hanging on to the success of a Gaming Console for the Holidays of 2020 is a year away. That is a long time in Tech Technology, many things could change by then. 4K UHD will be the last Physical Media, and Panasonic and the other remaining Manufacturers haven't announced any new models. We will have to see what 2020 brings to the Table!
You just can't stand the fact that discs are still with us heading into a new decade and that still another game console will be adding 4K disc playback to its capabilities. You are so petty and vindictive in your ceaseless wishing for the death of physical media. Discs will outlast you and I have a copy of Dumb And Dumber ready to serve as your epitaph.

4K will likely be the last streaming format, too, as no studio is releasing any content in 8K, so your attempted point here is as moot as the prominent one atop your thick head.

There is no need to release a new model of 4K disc player every year; these are not cars, Sherlock. We did not automatically get new DVD player models each year nor did we get new blu-ray player models each year. A new model of disc player is released only when significant improvements make doing so worthwhile. 4K disc player sales were up 63% at the end of the first quarter of this year. The upcoming PS5 can only help the 4K disc format; the only real question is by how much.

I am pretty sure that Sony did their due diligence in deciding to add a 4K disc player to their upcoming PS5. I will take their market analysis over your profound ignorance without hesitation. What can be predicted with certainty is that you will be wrong next year the same as you have been wrong every year and about so very, very many things.

Now get back out there and tell those random strangers that you assault on your shopping trips about the gospel of Netflix and Amazon; those two streaming services that you said that few people know about. Go spread the word to all those hapless pagans who know not of the goodness of Netflix and Amazon!

Last edited by Vilya; 10-10-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (10-10-2019), Ender14 (10-10-2019), sapiendut (10-10-2019), Wendell R. Breland (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #18158
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Digital purchases, or electronic sell thru, are up just 3.3% as of the first half of 2019. 3.3% growth is pretty lackluster and it does not suggest that there is all that much enthusiasm for digital purchases.

https://www.degonline.org/portfolio_...inment-report/

Q3 results should be published soon in that there "digital sales thread" that doofus is trying to scare everyone with.
Yes, that is really not good. Alchav forgets that he was heavily promoting digital HD a while back and now he realises the format hasn’t got legs, he is clutching at straws. Soon he will need six or seven subscriptions to see all the films out there.

Last edited by Steedeel; 10-10-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #18159
Expert Member

Apr 2017

If anything comes of lawsuits like this all the studios will drop support for digital purchases. Everything will just be subscriptions. At that point people will either have to pay a fortune for a dozen subscriptions or they'll have to pick and choose each month to only watch one or two types of movies.

Therefore digital will either be way more expensive or way less convenient than physical media. Whatever happens in the future all of our physical movies are safe. But anything could happen to digital purchases, rentals, and subscriptions because... technology waits for no one.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 10-10-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #18160
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

I don't believe Alchav21's devoted love for streaming and downloads, I've always thought that it's a money thing for him... I don't think he can afford physical media the way that some of us here can (there's nothing wrong with that, but why not just be honest and come out and say that, it's nothing to be ashamed of), therefore that's the main reason why streaming and downloads appeal to him. If money wasn't a factor (if he won the lotto tomorrow for instance), I think that he would buy physical copies over streaming and downloading.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (10-10-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology