Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.55
 
Avatar: The Way of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 hr ago
Rudy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
 
Violent Night 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
21 hrs ago
Silver Bullet 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.00
 
Boyfriends and Girlfriends (Blu-ray)
$17.99
17 hrs ago
The Equalizer 3 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Office Christmas Party 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
19 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
 
X (Blu-ray)
$7.50
 
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? - Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$48.33
 
Tremors 2: Aftershocks 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2022, 03:52 PM   #2581
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
150
919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
You obviously lack from self-awareness, given the fact you have banned on multiple occasions, most recently for what was it, a month? If you don't know, who would?

That said, maybe I can help. Unlike you, I don't personally attack fellow members for their opinions, and also unlike you, I actually have opinions of substance as opposed to your endless divisiveness.

All I've ever stated on this subject is the opinion that the physical media market would transition from a mass market to a niche market, that there would be benefits, e.g., the rise of boutique labels and mining of catalogs in niche markets, along with liabilities, the shrinking of available titles in brick & mortar stores, limited availability and higher prices for certain titles, streaming-only exclusives, etc.

No more, no less. The fact is you seem to have an issue with the truth.

No surprise here, but certain members have stuck to the party line of this is temporary, sales will bounce back, and the lack of a retail presence would not impact sales or does not represent an inconvenience.

Now we know what your opinions are worth, nothing more than utter nonsense, all so you can say you are part of a group. Whatever, but some of us actually have informed opinions and are interested in what the future of physical media will represent.

I don't know what to tell you other than if you have issue with the fact physical media sales drop by 20% every year, you need to take it up with Media Play News. After all, they're not my numbers, and I'm not the one posting their research.

Just to prove that there are no hard feelings, after all, it is the holiday season and you just got back from being banned for the fourth or fifth time, here's the address and number:
There is no substance, you have just repeated the same things pretty much every year since I have been a member here.

Why are you not discussing the fact that growth in EST is anaemic with a 5% YOY increase. Seeing as how you have clearly invested in that department, shouldn’t that be more of a concern for yourself?

Ownership in general is shrinking, yet you show a distinct lack of interest in the digital side of things.

I put it to you, you know EXACTLY what you are doing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:48 PM   #2582
cgpublic cgpublic is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cgpublic's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Gotham
473
1852
51
359
91
455
43
7
Default Worthy Of The Exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
There is no substance.
If that's your opinion, I'm fine with it. The question is why do you insist on being so divisive simply because we have a difference in opinion? Here's a perfect example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Why are you not discussing the fact that growth in EST is anaemic with a 5% YOY increase. Seeing as how you have clearly invested in that department, shouldnít that be more of a concern for yourself?
Are you inferring that because I choose to redeem the codes that I receive from buying physical media, or purchase digital codes because a Blu-ray is unavailable, somehow I am less of a supporter of physical media, and by extension, less of an equal member of this community?

Let me guess, because you are continually stating how superior physical media is, you are the 'greater' supporter, therefore entitled?

First, you need to check our respective collections.

Second, you need to recognize that some of the members here may have a limited budget, e.g., they're raising a family or on a fixed income, so digital or streaming might the better financial and or shared content choice. Or, they've run out of storage space or travel/move frequently, and it's just more convenient. Or, they used to purchase a great deal of physical, but they are now downsizing but still enjoy film and media, along with the related discussion.

Not to put too fine a point on it, what's it to you? What are we, at war? Furthermore, who are you to judge? Seems to me as if you have a big ax to grind with the world and you are continually showing up taking it out on members. You need to accept that it's not one or two people, or hundreds or thousands, that's going to make one bit of difference in the decline of physical media sales.

Furthermore, for those who enjoyed walking into a Best Buy, finding out they've eliminated their Blu-ray section, we're not allowed to say this sucks and ask ourselves where is this all leading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I put it to you, you know EXACTLY what you are doing.
What I'm doing is simply commenting on a set of numbers or specific trend. This BF, UHD sales were up, overall revenue was down. No more, no less. It's not about you or any other member. If you, or this community, is incapable of having a discussion about a trend that impacts all of us without personalizing the issue, well, it speaks volumes about why you are here. This is a pretty big and diverse community and not all of us are going to see things the same way all of the time. Most of us appreciate that fact.

On that last note, the best outcome here is to simply place each on our respective 'Ignore' lists, something that after ten years I have resisted doing to other members but your argumentativeness and divisiveness when it comes to these topics is obviously worthy of the exception.

And that doesn't mean you're a bad guy, it just means we're both better off not reading each other's posts.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Lee A Stewart (12-12-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 04:36 PM   #2583
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
140
841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
There is no substance, you have just repeated the same things pretty much every year since I have been a member here.
Steedeel, you should not have responded, you know that poster just post click bait.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (12-16-2022), Steedeel (12-13-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 06:57 AM   #2584
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:16 PM   #2585
cgpublic cgpublic is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cgpublic's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Gotham
473
1852
51
359
91
455
43
7
Default DVD's Dead, Jim

Never mind double digit declines in sales, over the past few weeks we have born witness to a significant collapse of the DVD market.

If we were to separate the two dominant physical media platforms, DVD and Blu-ray, DVD the cost-conscious, institutional (think schools and libraries) family-centric consumer, with Blu-ray the choice for the quality-conscious, collector/hobbyist consumer with a significant share of single/two-person households, it appears as higher internet speed availability increasing combined with streaming options multiplying with more family-centric fare (Disney+; HBOMax now prepared to change their name and roll out Discovery content), the migration of DVD consumers to streaming, for lower costs, higher quality and topical, sought-after programing, will pick up speed and eventually leave the platform behind in the dust.

Once the combination of Blu-ray and UHD sales begin driving DVD to sub-40% share week in-out (perhaps sub-30% by the end of 2023), then we will be on the cusp of physical media trending even further away from the mass market and taking residence in the micro-market.

A potential plus from this trend is lower Blu and UHD prices for titles that don't have the legs for the long haul and or overstock, which has certainly been one takeaway from the recent BF sales. $9.99? Not much premium pricing there for a product that cost substantially more to master and produce.

Regardless, if Bones was here, and I wish he was for old times sake, I'm sure he would agree, "DVD's dead, Jim."
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:43 PM   #2586
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4877
3901
1319
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
Never mind double digit declines in sales, over the past few weeks we have born witness to a significant collapse of the DVD market.
I do not know how you are defining "the past few weeks", but DVD has had over a 50% format market share 16 out of the last 20 weeks:

Week ending Dec. 3: DVD's format market share was 51.9%

Week ending Nov. 26: DVD's share was 39.6%

Week ending Nov. 19: DVD share was 56.2%

Week ending Nov. 12: DVD share was 41.2%

Week ending Nov. 5: DVD share was 43.6%

Week ending Oct. 29: DVD share was 61.3%

Week ending Oct. 22: DVD share was 57.4%

Week ending Oct. 15: DVD share was 56.7%

Week ending Oct. 8: DVD share was 57.1%

Week ending Oct. 1: DVD share was 55.7%

Week ending Sept. 24: DVD share was 61.9%

Week ending Sept. 17: DVD share was 57.9%

Week ending Sept. 10: DVD share was 54.4%

Week ending Sept. 3: DVD share was 60.6%

Week ending August 27: DVD share was 51.3%

Week ending August 20: DVD share was 46.9%

Week ending Aug. 13: DVD share was 52.6%

Week ending Aug. 6: DVD share was 59.8%

Week ending July 30: DVD share was 50.4%

Week ending July 23: DVD share was 53.8%

The facts simply do not support your argument. All of these figures are contained in posts found from page 121 forward in this very thread.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-14-2022 at 10:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (12-16-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 10:09 PM   #2587
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4877
3901
1319
3
15
Default

I looked over the entire year to date and DVD had a format market share above 50% in 38 of the 48 weeks from week ending Jan. 8th, 2022 thru week ending Dec. 3rd, 2022. These figures are found beginning on page 113 of this thread and forward to this page.

Another interesting fact is that DVD still had larger "disc sales revenue" in 6 out of those 10 weeks when it did have less than a 50% format market share.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-15-2022 at 05:46 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:25 AM   #2588
bruceames bruceames is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Novato, CA
15
1337
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
Never mind double digit declines in sales, over the past few weeks we have born witness to a significant collapse of the DVD market.

If we were to separate the two dominant physical media platforms, DVD and Blu-ray, DVD the cost-conscious, institutional (think schools and libraries) family-centric consumer, with Blu-ray the choice for the quality-conscious, collector/hobbyist consumer with a significant share of single/two-person households, it appears as higher internet speed availability increasing combined with streaming options multiplying with more family-centric fare (Disney+; HBOMax now prepared to change their name and roll out Discovery content), the migration of DVD consumers to streaming, for lower costs, higher quality and topical, sought-after programing, will pick up speed and eventually leave the platform behind in the dust.

Once the combination of Blu-ray and UHD sales begin driving DVD to sub-40% share week in-out (perhaps sub-30% by the end of 2023), then we will be on the cusp of physical media trending even further away from the mass market and taking residence in the micro-market.

A potential plus from this trend is lower Blu and UHD prices for titles that don't have the legs for the long haul and or overstock, which has certainly been one takeaway from the recent BF sales. $9.99? Not much premium pricing there for a product that cost substantially more to master and produce.

Regardless, if Bones was here, and I wish he was for old times sake, I'm sure he would agree, "DVD's dead, Jim."
With all due respect, you really need to take this physical versus digital discussion to the other thread. That's what it was created for, to keep the trolling away from this one.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (12-16-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 01:12 AM   #2589
cgpublic cgpublic is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cgpublic's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Gotham
473
1852
51
359
91
455
43
7
Default Check The Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
The facts simply do not support your argument. All of these figures are contained in posts found from page 121 forward in this very thread.
The fact that is leading to my conclusion is the % decline of DVD sales over the past few weeks, not overall share, specifically the weeks which cover the BF sales, where we are seeing declines upward of 30%.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 01:25 AM   #2590
cgpublic cgpublic is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cgpublic's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Gotham
473
1852
51
359
91
455
43
7
Default With All Due Respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
With all due respect, you really need to take this physical versus digital discussion to the other thread. That's what it was created for, to keep the trolling away from this one.
With all due respect, how do you classify this as physical versus digital discussion, when this is really about physical media consumer market segmentation, DVD versus Blu-ray/UHD, and how to interpret the data trends contained within these charts?

My comment is specific to DVD sales declining between 20% and 30% over the past few weeks, at a greater rate of decline in comparison to Blu-ray and UHD.

Listen, I get the numbers are in the red, so perhaps some posters are uncomfortable with reading these comments, but the numbers are the numbers, and that's what my comments are specifically addressing.

Once again, with all due respect, how would you or anyone else interpret these numbers, as you are implying that I'm introducing bias in my interpretation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:09 AM   #2591
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4877
3901
1319
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
The fact that is leading to my conclusion is the % decline of DVD sales over the past few weeks, not overall share, specifically the weeks which cover the BF sales, where we are seeing declines upward of 30%.
I am not seeing what you are.

DVD sales revenue from week ending Nov. 5th through week ending Dec. 3rd, a five week period, totaled $97.75 million.

Blu-ray formats, which include 4K, totaled less at $90.04 million over that same period.

DVD had a lower format share for three weeks of that 5 week period, but DVD still generated greater revenue by $7.71 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
My comment is specific to DVD sales declining between 20% and 30% over the past few weeks, at a greater rate of decline in comparison to Blu-ray and UHD.
Nothing declined "between 20% and 30% over the past few weeks" that I can find. What specific few weeks of "decline" are you talking about and compared to what exactly? Over the five week period mentioned above DVD sales revenue averaged $19.55 million per week. DVD sales revenue during the five week period immediately before that averaged $15.08 million. DVD sales revenue is actually up 29.64% over the last five weeks (week ending 11-5 thru week ending 12-3) compared to the five week period immediately before it (week ending Oct. 1 thru week ending Oct. 28).

Another comparison: DVD sales revenue was 52.05% of all physical media revenue over the last five weeks. DVD sales revenue was 56.27% of all physical media revenue for the five week period preceding that (6-10 weeks ago). There was no "20-30% decline" to be found here, either.

DVD remains the top selling physical media format both by format share and by sales revenue when you look at the entire quarter to date and over the entire year to date. DVD format share has beaten blu-ray and 4K combined 38 out of the last 48 weeks. DVD sales revenue has beaten blu-ray and 4K revenue combined 44 out of the past 48 weeks.

Purchases, disc or digital, stem from a desire to own what one buys and should not be compared with subscription services, namely subscription streaming and/or cable/satellite television. Both of these only provide access to whatever the provider chooses to offer at any given time and only for as long as one is willing to keep paying for it. Purchasing and subscribing are two very different behaviors motivated by entirely different desires.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-15-2022 at 05:17 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 02:26 PM   #2592
cgpublic cgpublic is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cgpublic's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Gotham
473
1852
51
359
91
455
43
7
Default The Big 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I am not seeing what you are.
Vilya, thanks for your comment. In my reading and to answer your question, DVD sales revenue was down over 30% for the week ending 12/3 compared to last year, when COVID was still a significant retail factor and film releases were also still hampered by a lack of production.

The prior week, 11/26, sales revenue also down over 30% from the prior year. The week before that, just under 30%.

All during the Black Friday season with no restrictions on retail.

It's okay to interpret the number differently, and you are certainly entitled to you opinion, whatever that may be, but I don't remember a three-week period in the last five years where DVD sales dropped year-over-year to -30% levels.

It just may be an anomaly, one that is unprecedented since the introduction of the DVD format. Someone would have to check. Perhaps we can ask Media Play News.

Honestly, I thought retail and more content would provide a bump and reverse the percentage of decline, but just the opposite has in fact taken place.

Not much else to say except we'll see how these trends play out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 05:30 PM   #2593
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4877
3901
1319
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
Vilya, thanks for your comment. In my reading and to answer your question, DVD sales revenue was down over 30% for the week ending 12/3 compared to last year, when COVID was still a significant retail factor and film releases were also still hampered by a lack of production.

The prior week, 11/26, sales revenue also down over 30% from the prior year. The week before that, just under 30%.
Last year Covid, and the resulting lack of brand new releases, impacted physical media sales. This year, inflation is probably having an even more adverse effect on discretionary purchases like physical media. We are paying a lot more for essentials and that leaves less money for our hobbies.

Looking at just the three week period that you mentioned:

For the week ending Dec. 3, 2022 DVD revenue was down 32.1% compared to the same week in 2021. Blu-ray was down 21.3%. DVD revenue was $22.49 million vs. $19.82 million for blu-ray. DVD brought in the most revenue.

For the week ending Nov. 26, 2022 DVD revenue was down 33.5% compared to the same week last year. Blu-ray was down 23.8%. DVD revenue was $20.24 million vs $20.28 million for blu-ray, essentially a tie.

For the week ending Nov. 19, 2022 DVD revenue was down 28.5%. Blu-ray was down 29.9%. DVD revenue was $21.02 million vs. $15.91 million for blu-ray. DVD, again, brought in the most revenue.

For those three weeks, DVD revenue totaled $63.75 million (53.23%). Blu-ray totaled $56.01 million (46.77%).

Compared to the same three weeks last year, DVD revenue totaled $91.72 million (55.34%). Blu-ray totaled $74.02 million (44.66%).

In summary, over the three week period that you selected in 2022 DVD generated 53.23% of total disc revenue. Over the same three week period in 2021, DVD generated 55.34% of total disc revenue. That's just not that much of a difference year over year and certainly not enough to call for the coroner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
Regardless, if Bones was here, and I wish he was for old times sake, I'm sure he would agree, "DVD's dead, Jim."
Thus, I still think that you issued DVD's death certificate prematurely. DVD remains the dominate physical media format, much to the annoyance of many of our forum members.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-15-2022 at 05:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:27 PM   #2594
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

Retail Sales Fell in November, Despite Black Friday

Quote:
U.S. retail sales fell 0.6 percent in November from October, the Department of Commerce said on Thursday. The figure does not account for price changes, and inflation did ease slightly during the month.

Spending increased in some areas, including at grocery stores, health and personal care stores and restaurants and bars. But categories like motor vehicles, furniture, consumer electronics, clothing and sporting goods all declined. Gas prices also fell during the month, meaning consumers spent less money filling up their cars.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...cf46c4b60194b9
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 03:23 AM   #2595
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 05:15 PM   #2596
bhampton bhampton is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
673
2208
49
5
18
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
With all due respect, you really need to take this physical versus digital discussion to the other thread. That's what it was created for, to keep the trolling away from this one.
I totally agree

Last edited by bhampton; 12-16-2022 at 06:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:43 AM   #2597
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:13 AM   #2598
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:13 AM   #2599
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:52 AM   #2600
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:05 AM.